Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Name Aeris Lord Humungus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

MonsieurChoc posted:

gently caress it, I'm gonna start a new game of Final Fantasy VII and name everyone after Mad Max characters.

Obviously Cait Sith is Master Blaster.

Or, I'm sorry, MSTRBLST.

CeallaSo fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 25, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

CeallaSo posted:

Obviously Cait Sith is Master Blaster.

Or, I'm sort MSTRBLST.

I was thinking of Wez for Caith Sith.

Edit: Here's what I'm going to with for now

Cloud - Mad Max (got the space, and it comes of better in game)
Barrett - Entity
Tifa - Furiosa
Aeristh - Humongous
Red XIII - Wez
Caith Sith - MstrBlst
Cid - Jedidiah
Haven't decided for Vincent and Yuffi yet. I guess Toecutter and Night Rider?

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 25, 2015

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Name Yuffie "Feral Kid."

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Caith Sith - MstrBlst

Cait can be Master and Vincent, mentally challenged as he is, should be Blaster :v:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
My personal faves:

FF5: The job system owns bones.
FF6: Almost everything owns bones. First one I played, too. #1 best game.
FF7: This game gets a lot more love and hate than it really deserves, but it's a solid fun game if you ignore the retarded fanboys \ angry haters.
FF8: This game is really a huge mess but it was the first one I owned so hey, nostalgia.
FF11: It was my first true online game after PSO. I always liked it in spite of its warts because its presentation was top-notch even though the gameplay was a mess.

Honorable mentions: FF4 and 9 are both really solid but don't stand out that much. FF10 has great visuals \ gameplay with some really dumb characters and story.

FF14 will probably wind up being one of my favorites too but I've only played it for a couple months so far so I need a little time for this one to sink in.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

forbidden lesbian posted:

that thread is a billion pages long lol, sorry dude but anything not in the op isn't going to be read

Most of the LLG is posted in the OP! And those are filtered to posts by me so just skip any that don't open with a Zelda pic!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

Cait can be Master and Vincent, mentally challenged as he is, should be Blaster :v:

Sold on this and Yugfie as Feral Kid.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I've loved almost every FF game that I've played, but I've only played a small amount of the series; 7 through 10, and Tactics. I watched a friend play through a lot of 12 and 13 but after watching I didn't particularly want to play them myself.

7 and 8 were my first RPGs ever, the only games I really played before that were like Sega Genesis side scrollers and Crash Bandicoot/Spyro. So these giant new games with story and dialogue were mindblowing for 10 year old me. I still remember the moment I left Midgar in 7 and was like "oh my god, there's a whole big world that I haven't even gone to yet!" I've replayed 7 a couple times since I was a kid and I appreciate it more and more each time. The last time was the best, I played through with my girlfriend who knew Aeris dies but didn't know anything about Cloud's identity issues and just experiencing her reaction to the game was amazing. It also really cemented how a lot of people really don't remember the drat game. Best example is so many people, including Square in the compilation games, see Aeris as the pure innocent soul and Tifa as the tom boy, when really their personalities were the opposite in the game.

I think 8 was the first one I really played and probably a lot of my love for it is nostalgia. I remember really liking the twist that they're all orphans who forgot each other, but most people seem to hate that. Triple Triad is the poo poo. I do acknowledge that after a certain point, all the characters except Squall and Rinoa become pretty underdeveloped. I haven't played it in almost a decade but my girlfriend and I are going to play it once we get through 10.

After playing the HD version, 10 is way more solid than I remembered, Tidus and Yuna are way stronger characters than I remembered. Blitzball is still way more fun than it should be.

The only ones I've played and didn't like were 9 and Tactics. I just didn't like any of the characters except Vivi in 9 and the loading times were godawful. Tactics seemed like it could be fun but the game begins with a lot of unskippable dialogue and goes right into the first fight and you can't save until you win. Which I failed to do. Twice. after that I just couldn't try again.

Honestly I'd try 9 and 12 again if HD versions came out. We're planning on playing 6 at some point as well.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Epi Lepi posted:

Tactics seemed like it could be fun but the game begins with a lot of unskippable dialogue and goes right into the first fight and you can't save until you win. Which I failed to do. Twice. after that I just couldn't try again.
If you failed the first battle twice then I don't think the game is for you anyway

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I tried to play FFT this year for the first time but it's just too unbearably slow for me

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

psx rpgs are meant to be emulated with a turbo feature

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

psx rpgs are meant to be emulated with a turbo feature

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Imagine trying to play FF9 today without turbo...

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Epi Lepi posted:

Tactics seemed like it could be fun but the game begins with a lot of unskippable dialogue and goes right into the first fight and you can't save until you win. Which I failed to do. Twice. after that I just couldn't try again.

Paperhouse posted:

If you failed the first battle twice then I don't think the game is for you anyway

Apparently a lot of people didn't know you can deploy more than just Ramza in the first battle (well, second battle if you count the tutorial at Orbonne). Maybe that's the problem?

derra
Dec 29, 2012

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I tried to play FFT this year for the first time but it's just too unbearably slow for me

The ipad version is really fast actually.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Srice posted:

I did, on a Vita, and tried to fight Ozma.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

PC versions are even better since you can use cheat engine to make a turbo that doesn't even mess up the music

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I did, on a Vita, and tried to fight Ozma.

:whitewater:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was living at my grandma's that summer in the middle of nowhere and I had to walk or drive to the library to get internet so I spent the entire summer playing FF7, FF8 and FF9 on my vita in between CKII on my laptop while I slowly gained 20 pounds in beer weight

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Paperhouse posted:

Probably not, but to be fair the only time I played that game was when I was probably 12 or 13 years old. I'm slightly better at games now. Slightly.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

MonsieurChoc posted:

Haven't decided for Vincent

GyroPilot

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Final Fantasy Record Keeper is now at 6 million downloads: https://mobile.twitter.com/ff_rk_info/status/602774890924507136

In an apples to oranges comparison, Hearthstone has 25 million downloads across all of its platforms.

Another thing I found interesting in the Japanese mobile charts is the rise of a certain SEGA game. A game called Monster Gear has had a meteoric rise through the Japanese iOS charts. It's now become SEGA's best performing F2P mobile game. Monster Gear has you form a team of up to four players to hunt monsters with a variety of different weapons in order to skin them for loot that can be used to make better weapons and armor.

Sound familiar? It's essentially SEGA's attempt at making a Monster Hunter style game in the framework of a typical F2P game. Some of the art and game design is clearly ripping off inspired by Monster Hunter. Capcom will launch its own attempt at making a F2P Monster Hunter game for mobile platforms through Monster Hunter Explore. Before that, Capcom released Monster Hunter Big Game Hunting Quest which was a collectible card game that saw middling success.

With Monster Gear being a breakout hit for SEGA, Capcom is going to get shredded at the next shareholders' meeting for not getting out a F2P Monster Hunter mobile game sooner.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Where the gently caress is Final Fantasy 1 3D.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Nice to see Record Keeper doing so well. Maybe it'll nudge them into doing more full-fledged old-school RPGs under a similar model. Yeah, the model would be annoying under a proper RPG, but hopefully it'd be profitable enough that SE would actually start making SNES-style RPGs again.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Varance posted:

All that said, I'm glad that traditional DQ and FF teams are getting stuck in mobile title development these days. A bit back to their roots, in a way.

DQM Super Light is a pretty good mobile game and it's just a shame we're never going to see it in English.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cake Attack posted:

PC versions are even better since you can use cheat engine to make a turbo that doesn't even mess up the music

This is some next level tech

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Sunning posted:

Another thing I found interesting in the Japanese mobile charts is the rise of a certain SEGA game. A game called Monster Gear has had a meteoric rise through the Japanese iOS charts. It's now become SEGA's best performing F2P mobile game. Monster Gear has you form a team of up to four players to hunt monsters with a variety of different weapons in order to skin them for loot that can be used to make better weapons and armor.

Sound familiar? It's essentially SEGA's attempt at making a Monster Hunter style game in the framework of a typical F2P game. Some of the art and game design is clearly ripping off inspired by Monster Hunter. Capcom will launch its own attempt at making a F2P Monster Hunter game for mobile platforms through Monster Hunter Explore. Before that, Capcom released Monster Hunter Big Game Hunting Quest which was a collectible card game that saw middling success.

With Monster Gear being a breakout hit for SEGA, Capcom is going to get shredded at the next shareholders' meeting for not getting out a F2P Monster Hunter mobile game sooner.

What the heck? How does this game even play? I cannot imagine any decent action combat game with touch controls only being remotely playable let alone a Monster Hunter rip off.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
It plays out a lot more like a typical F2P game with Monster Hunter style subsystems than a Monster Hunter game for consoles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQlbw7Asltg

Battles play out in real time with you choosing to attack, defend, or use a special ability. It's designed to be played with one hand. Even with its heavily streamlined Monster Hunter gameplay, it's attracting quite a bit of attention. The game reached 1 million downloads in Japan within ten days.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Xavier434 posted:

What the heck? How does this game even play? I cannot imagine any decent action combat game with touch controls only being remotely playable let alone a Monster Hunter rip off.

I watched the videos of the Japanese women playing it and it looks like you have a button to guard, one to attack and one to do something else (special attack?) and you just keep tapping them until you win and then you cheer and high five your friends

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
One of the videos in question. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KMigK5wuUU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sunning posted:

It plays out a lot more like a typical F2P game with Monster Hunter style subsystems than a Monster Hunter game for consoles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQlbw7Asltg

Battles play out in real time with you choosing to attack, defend, or use a special ability. It's designed to be played with one hand. Even with its heavily streamlined Monster Hunter gameplay, it's attracting quite a bit of attention. The game reached 1 million downloads in Japan within ten days.

Sounds like the PSO2 mobile game's combat system.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Pneub posted:

GyroPilot

Sorry, good choice, but he's already Blaster.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
when's the first time you can go back to besaid temple? after kilika?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

fronz posted:

when's the first time you can go back to besaid temple? after kilika?

After completing Djose Temple. Although at that point I'd push on until Spherimorph so you can grab Jecht Spheres as you backtrack.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Evil Fluffy posted:

Sounds like the PSO2 mobile game's combat system.

Monster Gear's gameplay reminds me more of Final Fantasy's ATB system in Monster Hunter aesthetics. Monster Hunter Explore seems to play more like a streamlined version of its console counterpart. It'll be interesting to see the games go head to head.

What's more interesting is that all of the big Japanese console publishers are starting to find success with mobile titles in Japan (except for Capcom). Square-Enix has Record Keeper with GREE and Million Arthur/Schoolgirl Strikers/Dragon Quest Super Light being in-house hits. Konami has Jikkyō Powerful Pro Yakyū doing well for them. SEGA's mobile titles have been solid and Monster Gear looks to be a breakout hit. Namco-Bandai has had several of their anime licence titles showing good performance.

Furthermore, Nintendo will have entered the mobile gaming market by the end of the year. They've already made Mario Kart/Nintendogs producer Hideki Konno into the head of their mobile game development division. Between this and their stake in DeNA, they're quite serious about competing in mobile gaming. It's likely the Japanese console industry will become a niche for enthusiasts, similar to people who buy high-end cameras.

The domestic console gaming industry could be literally decimated in a few years but the publishers are finding their footing with mobile game development. Except for Capcom.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
FFXIII stuff:

Is Fang's Saboteur role generally worth running during storyline or should she just stick to COM/SEN 24/7? Slow and Curse are nice and all but I don't know if it's worth using the time to debilitate instead of just bursting enemies down and switching to a paradigm with MED when necessary, especially given SAB's kinda crummy AI.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

FFXIII stuff:

Is Fang's Saboteur role generally worth running during storyline or should she just stick to COM/SEN 24/7? Slow and Curse are nice and all but I don't know if it's worth using the time to debilitate instead of just bursting enemies down and switching to a paradigm with MED when necessary, especially given SAB's kinda crummy AI.

I found Vanille SAB to be much more versatile and useful, even though she doesn't have Slow.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Srice posted:

My level 1 game was on console. I beat Ozma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

My level 1 game was on console. I beat Ozma.

Yeah, but you also did a Berserker SCC.