Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

The White Dragon posted:

I understand the idea behind delaying your upgrades, but the fact remains that you're grinding 2250gp instead of 2250 + 750. Dragon Quest is always fun for the first five hours, and then I go do something I like better.

Sell all the things you found in the chests from the last cave. You should have 2250. You should have at least what it takes to buy the main guy's weapon. Everything after that is optional. You can't afford everything. You have to make do with what you can afford. If you die going to your next destination, unlike in Final Fantasy, it's not game over. It won't be a wasted trip. You still have all the experience you received, all the items you picked up, and 1/2 your gold.

Excels posted:

Let's just decide right now, universally, what the best JRPG ever is.

I'm sure it will be an easy consensus

Xenogears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Excels posted:

Hydlide

This is a fact.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

fronz posted:

There are a poo poo ton of them but they're all single player

The Crystal Chronicles sequels are all super weird, it's like Squeenix decided to make that their experimental game series after the first one didn't do very well. There's a town management sim (My Life as a King) and a tower defense game (My Life as a Darklord) on WiiWare and there's what can only be described as a minigame collection with a storyline on Wii (The Crystal Bearers).

There's also two games on the DS (Rings of Fate and Echoes of Time, the latter which has a Wii version that is pretty much the DS version emulated) that are kinda sorta closer to the original, in that they are action-RPGs and support multiplayer, and they're fine but not super interesting.

Excels posted:

Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Excels posted:

It's Earthbound. The answer is Earthbound.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Excels posted:

Anachronox

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The best JRPG ever is that one which only came out in Japan but they only made like 4 copies and two of them got lost in the mail so you can only buy them for $9000 on an obscure Japanese offshoot of Ebay.

It's really good but you wouldn't have heard of it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Excels posted:

Incidentally, it also has the most memorable fighting sequence in a JRPG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFQuIr4Mjig

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Kanfy posted:

Incidentally, it also has the most memorable fighting sequence in a JRPG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFQuIr4Mjig

The correct answer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The best JRPG ever is that one which only came out in Japan but they only made like 4 copies and two of them got lost in the mail so you can only buy them for $9000 on an obscure Japanese offshoot of Ebay.

that game about a lesbian gladiator?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Soul Blazer

maybe Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Endorph posted:

that game about a lesbian gladiator?

Eternal Filena is pretty good

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

fronz posted:

Soul Blazer

This is a good choice that we can universally agree on.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

that game's live a live and it actually is really good

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Excels posted:

Obviously, the answer is Lunar: Dragon Song.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Excels posted:

The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Mega64 posted:

The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past

Ring-a-ding

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Terranigma, I love it even if it does go off the deep end towards the end.
That or Dragon Quest 5, which really resonated with me.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

That loving Sned posted:

This is also correct.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

sassassin posted:

I don't like the most boring traditionalist parts of JRPGs, no, and that is all DQ is.

The best FF game is X blitzball.

There are many people who clamor for a full game made of blitzball, yet they've never heard of Inazuma Eleven. It even gets summons and poo poo in the later entries.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Level Slide posted:

There are many people who clamor for a full game made of blitzball, yet they've never heard of Inazuma Eleven. It even gets summons and poo poo in the later entries.

not available in america

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Level Slide posted:

Is that that soccer RPG that has/had an LP on here not that long ago? I meant to follow that but wasn't in the right mood to keep up with it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

corn in the bible posted:

not available in america

It is, actually

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
if they actually make a blitzball game i hope they tone down the al bheds a little bit.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Beef Chief posted:

It is, actually

only the first one. all of them are out in europe but not here

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Then play the first one until the rest come out

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ive got regionfour i should just import one

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Are there R4s for 3DS yet? There's a 3 in 1 that has all 3 of the original Inazumas on it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Shadow Madness

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Excels posted:

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The World Ends With You.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Literally about to post this when I saw there had been a new page.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My gut instinct was Anachronox but then I remembered its neither japanese nor finished so the correct answer is

That loving Sned posted:

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

zedprime posted:

My gut instinct was Anachronox but then I remembered its neither japanese nor finished so the correct answer is

Well then my other vote goes to SMT III: Nocturne. Loving that the FF thread is now about all the best FF titles.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
One really nice thing about the more recent Dragon Quest games is that they give the party members incredibly smart AI so if you want to grind it's really easy. Towards the end of DQ6 DS remake you could put everyone on Don't Use MP and they would still exploit weaknesses and find the strongest damage skills between item casts and free abilities to end battles very quickly.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The World Ends With You gets a strong vote for one of the best ever. It's a crying shame there's not a sequel.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

:agreed:
TWEWY or Shadow Hearts 2 are my picks. FF12 is a nostalgia choice but that game is a bit tedious even if the plot and visual design are impossible to fault.

SonicRulez posted:

The World Ends With You gets a strong vote for one of the best ever. It's a crying shame there's not a sequel.

Where would a sequel have gone, though? Just repeating the formula in a different city wouldn't be interesting.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gamma Nerd posted:

Where would a sequel have gone, though? Just repeating the formula in a different city wouldn't be interesting.

There's the whole bit with Joshua and Mr. H possibly rebelling against the upper management/angels since they weren't exactly in agreement with how things were being ran. Like there's another whole tier of existence that you only really scratch the surface with the hidden notes. Also maybe following what dark deeds Sho's getting up to after his plams were CRUNCH and added to the heap and he somehow just walked out of it.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Oh I agree with the first one, I just don't know how they'd handle a game from the perspective of the Angels. As for the second, I honestly never considered Minamimoto's fate in the main timeline :doh:

Considering TWEWY is one of my favorite games ever, I don't remember the plot nearly as well as I should...

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Gamma Nerd posted:

I think the concept is still strong. You just have to change up the dynamic. Neku was a loner who learns to stop that. They could redo it with other characters and I'd still be pleased. Honestly I just want any excuse to listen to rockin music and play the cool gameplay again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The World Ends With Tin Pin Slammer