Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
there aren't enough games where the villain is the main character

in fact there are pretty much none of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
forget blitzball i want a tin pin slammer phone game. really easy to build microtransactions into it too

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Excels posted:

FFTA

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
The best JRPG is Final Fantasy VII, but we hit peak JRPG somewhere in the Xenosaga trilogy. (Skipped those games after the first didn't grab me and I read some discussion about the balls-out crazy plot)

Xenogears with a budget could have taken both titles. :negative:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

The best JRPG is Final Fantasy VII, but we hit peak JRPG somewhere in the Xenosaga trilogy. (Skipped those games after the first didn't grab me and I read some discussion about the balls-out crazy plot)

Xenogears with a budget could have taken both titles. :negative:

Xenosaga 1 was "Xenogears with budget" and then instantly the budget ran out

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

morallyobjected posted:

I probably would have liked FFX more when it came out if it had the expert sphere grid. gently caress the regular one. the addition of the abilities that get you the right kind of spheres was also useful.

i agree with this the expert sphere grid version is wayyyyyy better

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Excels posted:

From what I understand, you played as the antagonist for half of Breath of Fire 4.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
the protagonists from the first golden sun game are the antagonists for part of the second one

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
They aren't really RPG's but any Dungeon Keeper or DK-inspired game like the Badman series are all about being the villain. They tend to be fun too when they're not mobile cash-ins.

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012
i guess i'll be the person to unironically say Chrono Trigger is the best JRPG then

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

dukerson posted:

i guess i'll be the person to unironically say Chrono Trigger is the best JRPG then

Not with that bullshit DBZ art :rolleyes:

Excels posted:

Xenosaga 1 was "Xenogears with budget" and then instantly the budget ran out

It was a failure from the beginning. The devs branched off from Square and couldn't touch the intellectual property in Xenogears.

And just from a gameplay perspective I find your post ridiculous! Very different games.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gamma Nerd posted:

Oh I agree with the first one, I just don't know how they'd handle a game from the perspective of the Angels. As for the second, I honestly never considered Minamimoto's fate in the main timeline :doh:

Considering TWEWY is one of my favorite games ever, I don't remember the plot nearly as well as I should...

It's ok, I kind of 100% it like once a year because I just get the urge to play through it again so I know that plot too well. But yeah, if you go and inspect what should be his grave the game makes a big deal about Sho not being there and he's not in any epilogue sequence so I just assumed that was one of their sequel hooks.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sordas Volantyr posted:

From what I understand, you played as the antagonist for half of Breath of Fire 4.

there's only a couple mini-dungeons as fou-lu, they're cool though

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

don't even start

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

And just from a gameplay perspective I find your post ridiculous! Very different games.

Well yeah I know that much, although I'm still perplexed about how the Xeno series worked, weren't they continuously trying to tell this massive loving origin mythos story and each time their budget fell short or they didn't get enough games to tell the whole tale or...?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Obviously Ogre Battle is the best and wait, that's not even a JRPG. My opinion on JRPGs is terrible.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

zedprime posted:

My gut instinct was Anachronox but then I remembered its neither japanese nor finished

Man, gently caress you for reminding me :smith:

V-Men posted:

Obviously Ogre Battle is the best and wait, that's not even a JRPG. My opinion on JRPGs is terrible.

Ogre Battle 64 owned though

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Excels posted:

Well yeah I know that much, although I'm still perplexed about how the Xeno series worked, weren't they continuously trying to tell this massive loving origin mythos story and each time their budget fell short or they didn't get enough games to tell the whole tale or...?

Xenogears actually laid it out very well. At the end of it, you find out it's something ridiculous like Episode 5 of 9 of a story, but has enough in its plot to imagine what 1-4 could have been. (Funny, it handles the origin mythos handily in my eyes.)

Then Xenosaga couldn't do anything with the original "stuff" and things got real messy. Someone else is much more well qualified to cover that.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Why are people insulting dbz art in here? I thought you liked jrpgs?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

V-Men posted:

That's an rpg the same way game awards label fire emblem and dark souls as jrpgs

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
so i started a new run of ff13 last night. let's see if i can actually enjoy it this time around as i am not expecting anything from it. also maybe i can figure out how to play it properly so i don't hit a massive wall near the end of the game and stop playing like last time 📣

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

corn in the fridge posted:

so i started a new run of ff13 last night. let's see if i can actually enjoy it this time around as i am not expecting anything from it. also maybe i can figure out how to play it properly so i don't hit a massive wall near the end of the game and stop playing like last time 📣

the only way to play ff13 properly is to use the disc as a frisbee.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Kinda off-topic from where this thread is going, but are the Scions in FFXII related to the Lucavi in FFtactics? It's supposedly the same world but it just seems like such a disconnect to give them so much agency in FFT and give them no personality in FFXII

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Attitude Indicator posted:

the only way to play ff13 properly is to use the disc as a frisbee.

What about digital copies?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Tae posted:

That's an rpg the same way game awards label fire emblem and dark souls as jrpgs

Fire Emblem is a turn-based strategy RPG and Dark Souls is an action RPG, both of which are produced in Japan

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Szurumbur posted:

What about digital copies?

sadly, a HD doesn't have the same aerodynamic qualities.

oxidation
May 22, 2011
So I just finished my first Fiesta run and it was also the first time playing through FF5, and I had a blast. I also realized the only Final Fantasy i've ever beaten is 7, and that was like a decade ago, so I got some work to do to work through all of these.

Think I'm gonna get started with FF1 (PSP version) and work my way up.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

fronz posted:

the protagonists from the first golden sun game are the antagonists for part of the second one

And vice versa in the first game.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Awesome Welles posted:

zedprime posted:

My gut instinct was Anachronox but then I remembered its neither japanese nor finished so the correct answer is

Man, gently caress you for reminding me :smith:

Now's your chance to finish it:

quote:

It’s been almost a year since we fully launched Collective, and one of the headline announcements back then was the prospect of allowing developers to create games based in some of the old Eidos IPs. But it wasn’t something I wanted to open up right away, in case it overshadowed the original games that developers submitted to the platform.

Well, now the platform is established and we’ve more experience in supporting projects (both in Feedback and through crowdfunding) so it feels like the right time to live up to that early promise – which means that from now on, we’re going to allow developers to pitch game ideas based on the following IPs:

Gex
Fear Effect
Anachronox

http://collective.square-enix.com/news/32/first-eidos-ips-made-available-via-square-enix-collective

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

dude789 posted:

One really nice thing about the more recent Dragon Quest games is that they give the party members incredibly smart AI so if you want to grind it's really easy. Towards the end of DQ6 DS remake you could put everyone on Don't Use MP and they would still exploit weaknesses and find the strongest damage skills between item casts and free abilities to end battles very quickly.

I did exactly this while watching Seinfeld reruns last week to finish up my job progression before the final boss

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Excels posted:

Metal Gear Solid

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Excels posted:

FF7 you're a bunch of terrorists for the first like half of the game. You even disrupt someone's perfectly reasonable attempt to save the world because their rocket will kill some dumb birds.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

FF7 you're a bunch of terrorists for the first like half of the game. You even disrupt someone's perfectly reasonable attempt to save the world because their rocket will kill some dumb birds.

Perfectly reasonable being 'weaponised chunks of the literal lifeblood of the planet' which doesn't even work anyway.

Shinra's actions got them in that whole situation, it sure as hell wasn't going to get them out of it

Also AVALANCHE did nothing wrong

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Not only that, but depending on your choices before the final battle, you can join forces with the antagonist in question to become an immortal god dragon and the final battle will consist of you controlling an unkillable murder machine facing your own party members who are hopelessly trying to stop you as you mow them down.

That game is kinda grim.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Perfectly reasonable being 'weaponised chunks of the literal lifeblood of the planet' which doesn't even work anyway.

Shinra's actions got them in that whole situation, it sure as hell wasn't going to get them out of it

Those mako reactor workers had families!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Shinra made Cloud ergo Shinra saved the world.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

sassassin posted:

Shinra made Cloud ergo Shinra saved the world.

They also made sephiroth so it kinda balances out.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The Biggest Jerk posted:

They also made sephiroth so it kinda balances out.

The world was still saved. Doesn't matter who from.

Shinra wins on a technicality.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Kinda off-topic from where this thread is going, but are the Scions in FFXII related to the Lucavi in FFtactics? It's supposedly the same world but it just seems like such a disconnect to give them so much agency in FFT and give them no personality in FFXII

Yes. FFXII is before FFT, over a thousand years I think, so it hasn't gotten to the point where civilization is wiped out by them yet, and their bios make a point of stating that all of them except Zodiark, who couldn't help that he was the most powerful, are evil and bad news. Presumably the ones you don't see in FFT were either somehow destroyed or still bound to the Mist, because the Lucavi in FFT are bound to stones instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I still don't know what soldier was supposed to be for. It's a giant super soldier arms race/pissing contest against...? Shinra own the whole world.