Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

NikkolasKing posted:

For XII though, all I know were Kari Wahlren (not in too many things overall but she was in Xenosaga and Dirge of Cerberus around this time)

That is incredibly incorrect. Kari in the early to mid 2000's was a huge profile VA in anime, game, and cartoons. She was basically a piller of Adult Swim's anime boon, right along Steve Blum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

NikkolasKing posted:

But yeah, the rest? No clue. I assumed they brought in a lot of foreign talent, kinda like what I heard they did with Xenoblade Chronicles.

Nobody brought in foreign talent for Xenoblade, the localisation was done by Nintendo of Europe so they used British VAs :v:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Xenoblade's VAs were mostly British soap actors too. But, yeah, they brought in theatrical actors for the most important roles in FF XII.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

NikkolasKing posted:

Weren't most of the FFXII dub cast primarily theatre actors and not voice-actors? As someone who watches a lot of dubs, I usually know a lot of the voices. For XII though, all I know were Kari Wahlren (not in too many things overall but she was in Xenosaga and Dirge of Cerberus around this time) and Phil LaMarr (played Vamp and a bunch of other things). oh and Steven Blum voiced that one dude that was after Balthier for the first five minutes of the game. Other than that, the only other VA I knew was Simon Templeman, who doesn't do much in the way of dubs I don't think. I mainly know him from Legacy of Kain. And lord, I wish he was in more things. Dat voice.

But yeah, the rest? No clue. I assumed they brought in a lot of foreign talent, kinda like what I heard they did with Xenoblade Chronicles.

It was a mix of actors who had experience in animation/videogames, stage, and live action television. There was also some overlap with actors who had experience in both theatrical work and videogame voice acting, such as Dwight Schultz. However, many of the leads were people who had a long history of dubbing games and anime.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tae posted:

That is incredibly incorrect. Kari in the early to mid 2000's was a huge profile VA in anime, game, and cartoons. She was basically a piller of Adult Swim's anime boon, right along Steve Blum.

Hey, you're right. I just never watched any of those shows. Still, my bad.

And she's still doing stuff, that's cool. In fact, I've heard a lot about Saber on boards and stuff so maybe that's like a big role for her. I'm glad. I still won't watch Fate/stuff but as long as she's getting work.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My prediction that you'll be able to play every FF game ever on steam within the next year or so was right.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

And she's still doing stuff, that's cool. In fact, I've heard a lot about Saber on boards and stuff so maybe that's like a big role for her. I'm glad. I still won't watch Fate/stuff but as long as she's getting work.
i think the character who is front and center on literally every piece of promotional material, is a big role

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

In Training posted:

My prediction that you'll be able to play every FF game ever on steam within the next year or so was right.

Still can't play FF9.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The only FF games on steam are:
3 3DS remake
After Years
4 3DS remake
The MMO's
13-2
Type-0

Not remotely "Every FF"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In a year or so they will all be there, is what my post said.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Toxx it, then

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will be absurdly surprised if FF9 is on Steam. FF7 and 8 are only there because they had existing PC ports.

They haven't even announced FFX for it despite FFXHD getting a PS4 port.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

In Training posted:

Where's FF6 then? I want to play an updated translation already.

And achievements.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My toxx is that if FF9 is on steam within the next 20 years with a speed up button, I will buy it. If it doesn't show up I won't buy it. Take notice.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In FFX2 what's some pretty big stuff I shouldn't miss? I'm not crazy enough to try 100% but don't want to miss stuff like a good early garment grid or something. I looked up the dresspheres so those I shouldn't miss.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

In Training posted:

it's going on 10 months with no sign of Lightning Returns

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

In FFX2 what's some pretty big stuff I shouldn't miss? I'm not crazy enough to try 100% but don't want to miss stuff like a good early garment grid or something. I looked up the dresspheres so those I shouldn't miss.

There's probably a bunch of stuff but the only thing I can really think of right now is that if you win the Sphere Break tournament in Chapter 3 you get the Lady Luck Dressphere (if you lose you have to wait until Chapter 5)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

In Training posted:

If FF9 comes out on Steam by Aug 2 2016, I will stream it live and finish it in one sitting to the best of my completionist ability (no jump rope king gently caress you) :toxx:

What I'm saying is it's not gonna happen.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Well, most of those are little, but helpful:
- talking to the guy who watches the new base in Kilika in every chapter allows you to get a nice accessory in chapter 5
- depending on how you progress in the Ronso sidequest and Macalenia forest, you might end up getting a nice accessory (double gil/AP/EXP, which stacks with AP Egg for 6 AP), for a price...
- look up how to leave all the commspheres in the Mi'hen Highroad and what can be gained from the sidequest there, so you know for later
- I think you get a nice (double AP gate) Garment Grid for looking at the tutorial menus with Shinra? I distinctly recall there being such a Grid available in the early game.

I'd also advise to look up Gun Mage Bullet abilities, so you know what Fiends to look out for.

Still, if you don't care about NG+, 100% or optional content, none of the above matters in the end.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The White Dragon posted:

If FF9 comes out on Steam by Aug 2 2016, I will stream it live and finish it in one sitting to the best of my completionist ability (no jump rope king gently caress you) :toxx:

What I'm saying is it's not gonna happen.

Yeah I'd say we get an FF9 remake of some sort in no less than 2 years and even then it may not be available on Steam.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
just buy a playstation for all your final fantasy needs.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

The Taint Reaper posted:

just buy a playstation for all your final fantasy needs.

that and a vita for all your psx final fantasy needs

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I just wish the PS4 could play PS3 games, my PS3 died a dog's age ago and while I'm getting impatient for the PC release of LR, I'm not buying another bloody PS3 just for that. :(

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Ciaphas posted:

I just wish the PS4 could play PS3 games, my PS3 died a dog's age ago and while I'm getting impatient for the PC release of LR, I'm not buying another bloody PS3 just for that. :(

get a "used" one at gamestop. Majority of the time they're just opened overstock.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Szurumbur posted:

Well, most of those are little, but helpful:
- talking to the guy who watches the new base in Kilika in every chapter allows you to get a nice accessory in chapter 5
- depending on how you progress in the Ronso sidequest and Macalenia forest, you might end up getting a nice accessory (double gil/AP/EXP, which stacks with AP Egg for 6 AP), for a price...
- look up how to leave all the commspheres in the Mi'hen Highroad and what can be gained from the sidequest there, so you know for later
- I think you get a nice (double AP gate) Garment Grid for looking at the tutorial menus with Shinra? I distinctly recall there being such a Grid available in the early game.

I'd also advise to look up Gun Mage Bullet abilities, so you know what Fiends to look out for.

Still, if you don't care about NG+, 100% or optional content, none of the above matters in the end.
Nice, thanks!
I might do NG+ but just made the decision to skip a guide this time through other than the dresspheres which were ridiculously easy to miss forever.

Also AP needs you to actually use abilities right ?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

HD DAD posted:

Guys, the audio would have been recorded in a professional recording studio. The reason is sounds so lovely is it's been compressed to hell in post-production to fit on the game disc. If I recall correctly, the game data is huge and they were already having trouble fitting it all on one disc.

They'll dig up the old WD hard drive that's been at the bottom of a drawer for a decade that the uncompressed audio is sitting on.

They compressed it to hell because they didn't want to use a dual layer dvd.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Assuming SquareEnix has the original files is a bit of a tall order.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Dr Pepper posted:

They don't have 7, 8, or 9. Luckily Eidos kept the code for the 7 and 8 PC versions.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

What are the odds the only version of FFXII they have is the fax copy that GRIN spite sent them?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Nice, thanks!
I might do NG+ but just made the decision to skip a guide this time through other than the dresspheres which were ridiculously easy to miss forever.

Also AP needs you to actually use abilities right ?

Well, only to learn them - you need MP or items to use abilities.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Whizbang posted:

They don't have 7, 8, or 9. Luckily Eidos kept the code for the 7 and 8 PC versions.

For FF7, it was actually beta code from an earlier PS1 build. As late as FFX and KH1, they were losing assets and source code. It's not unusual for that to occur when a company undergoes a merger/buyout and moves to a new location.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sunning posted:

For FF7, it was actually beta code from an earlier PS1 build. As late as FFX and KH1, they were losing assets and source code. It's not unusual for that to occur when a company undergoes a merger/buyout and moves to a new location.

Yeah to be fair we completely lose things that are less than a year old at work because an employee will leave and it turns out they never put it on the network drive, and it wasn't important enough to notice until a year later. And this is like, a single excel sheet not thousands of art assets to keep track of. I could easily see how enough of it just goes missing because nobody cares that much after the project is over and everyone has moved on.

I mean it's worth millions of dollars so maybe you should pay a bit more attention but the average employee gives no poo poo about the 20 year viability of their company I imagine

Szurumbur posted:

Well, only to learn them - you need MP or items to use abilities.

Right I just meant you can't master stuff from just mashing attack. Was wondering why it was taking a while for some classes

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Whizbang posted:

How did we confirm that SE does not have access to a copy of FF9's source in some fashion? I don't remember reading anything official about that.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Yeah to be fair we completely lose things that are less than a year old at work because an employee will leave and it turns out they never put it on the network drive, and it wasn't important enough to notice until a year later. And this is like, a single excel sheet not thousands of art assets to keep track of. I could easily see how enough of it just goes missing because nobody cares that much after the project is over and everyone has moved on.

I mean it's worth millions of dollars so maybe you should pay a bit more attention but the average employee gives no poo poo about the 20 year viability of their company I imagine

Right I just meant you can't master stuff from just mashing attack. Was wondering why it was taking a while for some classes

From the developers I've talked to, the number one reason assets were lost for old games is due to poor archiving practices. They would expunge data for an older game from data storage to make room for a new project. When you ship a game and start development of a new one, saving the source code isn't the first thing on anyone's mind. In addition, code and documentation could sometimes be kept in paper format which left it vulnerable to property damage or mishandling.

Xavier434 posted:

How did we confirm that SE does not have access to a copy of FF9's source in some fashion? I don't remember reading anything official about that.

Considering its age and lack of a PC build, the odds are against it. Furthermore, some of the CGI in FFIX was outsourced to CGI houses which have since gone out of business/got bought out.

The good news is that FFIX was co-developed by Square USA and some of those employees kept high resolution assets in their portfolios. Many of them worked on several of the pre-rendered backgrounds. However, it's by no means the entire source code for the game.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Oh, right - only using abilities, items and killing enemies (with most worth 1 AP, bosses more) get you AP, so if you want to grind those, it's best to find a weak enemy and use a cheap skill; you can only get 99AP from a single fight, though, so beware. If you have some time to spare and want a relatively low-effort grinding method, there are accessories to use abilities from different classes, with the Knight's Sentinel being your best bet for AP (no cost, relatively fast recovery rate, makes physical attacks a non-issue), so spam this in a low-level battle by holding X for a few minutes. It helps to use an ability just for an occasional AP here and there, and healing (and buffs, I think) abilities will be executed even if the last enemy is already dead - just rememeber that you only get points for those if it actually healed someone.

Edit: or was it Warrior? Paine's default job, in any case.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 3, 2015

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ah yeah, it's Warrior. There are also garment grids for cross classing, looks like you get one in Chapter 3 that lets you use warrior skills. Thanks for that, I'll probably go learn Sentinel on everyone then.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Arnie Roth posted this on the Distant Worlds Facebook page:

quote:

Dear friends,

In response to comments posted by fans, I want to rectify a statement made from the stage Saturday night at our Distant Worlds: music from FINAL FANTASY concert in Pittsburgh.

Following conversations with composer Hitoshi Sakimoto regarding new concert arrangements of music from FINAL FANTASY XII, regrettably, the term ‘remake’ was used in error during one of the announcements that took place from the stage during the concert.

We sincerely regret any confusion this has caused.

Arnie Roth
Producer and Music Director
Distant Worlds: music from FINAL FANTASY

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its' totally just squeenix covering its rear end. it's absolutely happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Or that he shouldn't have said remake, it is actually just HD, or whatever. I'm confident it will still happen too :unsmith: