Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ios are you some sort of sadist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

And I mean, at the end of the day it's whatever I guess, but I'm still half-amused half-puzzled so many sword skills are called "____ Punch". Split Punch, Crush Punch, Blastar Punch, Hellcry Punch.

This has to be a common word being obviously mistranslated and nobody giving a gently caress; there's another infamous case of it in FFT with "Bracelet" being how the game consistently translates abilities that should be "Breath". So dragons use Fire Bracelet and Ice Bracelet, and the assassin twins use Stop Bracelet which makes zero loving sense because it's instant KO and not Stop, until you realize what "bracelet" is supposed to be and that they're literally casting "Stop Breath".

Kingtheninja posted:

It's been probably 12 years since I played fft all the way through, but I definitely didn't know why delita was doing half the things he did in the game.

You aren't even a party to all the details of it since you aren't playing as him but basically the gist is that he's double and triple crossing both sides of the Lion's War and creating anarchy to enable his own political ascension because he's got a chip on his shoulder. Think Littlefinger from GoT except he's a knight and battlefield commander instead of a pimp.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Evil Fluffy posted:

The FFT translation had some rough patches

Some rough patches. Riiight.

Wiznaibus.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

If you have a modded psp or you play it on an emu, you can patch the slowdown out of WotL with a tiny patch. It's something hilarious like three memory offsets changed and the slowdown vanishes.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

Endorph posted:

also the slowdown in wotl is pretty bad. like yeah it can't affect how you play the game but waiting a solid minute for a basic spell animation to go through at 2 fps suuucks.

I played through it last year on my psp and it was fine, just a couple of seconds of slowdown for even big spells.

I bought it to replay on my PSTV and it turns out that for "reasons" S-E have decided that I can't play it on PSTV because I'm in Europe. Annoyingly, all my PSX FF games are listed as not being compatible with the PSTV much like WotL. but work just fine.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yes but he's nowhere near as bad as Tidus's mom.

I still can't get over the fact no one's mom has a name in the game.
Of the three parent sets that matter:
We know Jecht is Tidus' dad but then there's Tidus' Mom.
Braska is Yuna's dad and then there's Yuna's Mom or I guess Cid's Sister.
And finally we have Jyscal Guado and Seymour's Mom.

It really bugs me. I wonder if Nojima was trying to send some sort of message, given that #1 and #3 were both absolutely terrible. None of the other moms in other FF games written by him have been particularly good, either. I guess Cloud's mom was okay, for the one scene with her where she has about three lines. No wait, there was Elmyra, Aerith's adopted mother, who I don't think anyone ever told that her daughter was dead.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Evil Fluffy posted:

The FFT translation had some rough patches and was hammy but WotL looks like some translation team thought they could be Shakespeare
People keep saying this and it continues to make no sense because it's not true at all.

No, WotL is not Shakespearean, it's not trying to be Shakespearean.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Wiznaibus.

That skill owned against Dycedarg's older brother. Owned the poo poo out of that fucker.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

It really bugs me. I wonder if Nojima was trying to send some sort of message, given that #1 and #3 were both absolutely terrible. None of the other moms in other FF games written by him have been particularly good, either. I guess Cloud's mom was okay, for the one scene with her where she has about three lines. No wait, there was Elmyra, Aerith's adopted mother, who I don't think anyone ever told that her daughter was dead.

Hope's mom was okay. Rosa's mom seemed okay, iirc. Edea was a good mom before and after she became possessed.

9 has nothing but poo poo moms and dads though. The only good parental figure is the Pirate/Thief Captain. 14 has a lot of cool moms.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

That skill owned against Dycedarg's older brother. Owned the poo poo out of that fucker.

It's really a crime that WOTL cut Dycedarg's elder brother. He was the best character in the game.

NikkolasKing posted:

Writing moms is tough.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

NikkolasKing posted:

No wait, there was Elmyra, Aerith's adopted mother, who I don't think anyone ever told that her daughter was dead.

IIRC, there's one optional piece of dialogue on the Highwind where Cait Sith says he went and told Elmyra what happened and how she cried her eyes out. :(

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
FFX is at least, specifically about Dad Baggage, so Moms need not apply.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

kirbysuperstar posted:

Wiznaibus.

Dycedarg's Elder Brother. :downs:

e: son of a bitch

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

mycot posted:

IIRC, there's one optional piece of dialogue on the Highwind where Cait Sith says he went and told Elmyra what happened and how she cried her eyes out. :(

Hmm, I remember dialog where if you go back and talk to her, she says "you don't have to tell me, I already know. I could feel it when Aeris returned to the earth" or something like that.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Wiznaibus.

Wild Bow.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

Wiznaibus.

SALTY RAGE

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Hangin' out in the woods with my homeboy Trent.

Oh god these woods are haunted, Gusts all over :gonk:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

That is, at least, an awesome name.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Assuming I ever get around to playing FF Tactics, how does it compare to FFVII's translation? Because I have no problem with FFVII's translation for the most part.

Then again, I have a hard time discerning if this is nostalgia of if I just sincerely enjoy lines like "golden shiny wire of hope.' But if it is nostalgia I might hate a anew game (to me) like Tactics.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 5, 2015

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The new Final Fantasy 15 trailer is in 5 minutes.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm burnt out on being disappointed by FF, show me something amazing SE

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcGLfeni0og

e: It's nothing!

Terper fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 5, 2015

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009
More of a teaser, really.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It's loving nothing!

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Probably saving up for the report for tomorrow morning. Still, I'm impressed Regis could carry an entire child with one hand. His arms didn't look that beefy, although he's only ever worn a suit.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hangin' out in the woods with my homeboy Trent.

Oh god these woods are haunted, Gusts all over :gonk:

I'm Rich now! let me find a place to hide my phylactery

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I liked the trailer. The lack of full-blown gameplay and new areas is a little disappointing, but I appreciated that they decided to focus on something more close and personal. So many games have super-actiony trailers, so I can't fault them for going in a different direction.

We've got the ATR later as well. I'll be staying up for that.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

http://www.finalfantasyxv.com/

In a matter of days, the Kingdom of Lucis is to sign an armistice, ending a long and bitter conflict with Niflheim. Ahead of the ceremony, Prince Noctis, heir to the Lucian throne, sets forth from his homeland to formalize the union of states through his marriage to the Lady Lunafreya of the imperial province of Tenebrae.

The offer of peace, however, is no more than a ruse to lower the Lucian shield, and the imperial army takes the crown city and its sacred crystal in one fell swoop. En route to his destination, Noctis is shocked to learn that he, his father the king, and his betrothed are believed dead.

Overnight, the dream of peace has faded into a distant memory. His world crumbling around him, Noctis has naught but his resolve and his loyal companions to see him through the trials to come.

Terper fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 5, 2015

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I would have liked some more details about what the story's about but it was pretty OK and different at least.

EDIT: Also they really should release a public demo soon.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Baby Noct shoving his dad's face out of the way was hilarious, that's for sure.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Square digs the knife deeper into my wounds

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Terper posted:

http://www.finalfantasyxv.com/

In a matter of days, the Kingdom of Lucis is to sign an armistice, ending a long and bitter conflict with Niflheim. Ahead of the ceremony, Prince Noctis, heir to the Lucian throne, sets forth from his homeland to formalize the union of states through his marriage to the Lady Lunafreya of the imperial province of Tenebrae.

The offer of peace, however, is no more than a ruse to lower the Lucian shield, and the imperial army takes the crown city and its sacred crystal in one fell swoop. En route to his destination, Noctis is shocked to learn that he, his father the king, and his betrothed are believed dead.

Overnight, the dream of peace has faded into a distant memory. His world crumbling around him, Noctis has naught but his resolve and his loyal companions to see him through the trials to come.

This sounds suspiciously like the opening to FF12.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
why was baby jack the ripper hugging big boss

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

can't wait for FF15: Child Holding Simulator 2019!

is noctis narcoleptic? doesn't he just sleep inthe demo too?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fister Roboto posted:

This sounds suspiciously like the opening to FF12.

Yea let's hope its actually good unlike FF12

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea let's hope its actually good unlike FF12

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea let's hope its actually good like FF12

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
International 12 is the best single-player MMO like a decade before they became the norm for RPGs

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

"My son... can I have a release date?"

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The best FF mom is the one that beats her husband and daughter with kitchen utensils.

Terper posted:

Lady Lunafreya

I hope Lady Moon Rat has a significant presence in the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Best FF mother is Julyan Manderville.