Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
About time for that patch. Went and downloaded the game as soon as I heard. I'm definitely digging the arranged soundtrack, Besaid Island sounds so chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Excels posted:

shinra's descendants invent spirit energy as a power source > space travel > they leave spira > 1000 years after FFX they settled on the Planet > they found shinra power > farplane tech adapted to lifestream > mako

Yes I know you read some gamefaqs write up because they saw Shinra make some comment near the end of the game that is supposed to be a shout out to VII and nothing more, but that's all it was

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Baal posted:

Yes I know you read some gamefaqs write up because they saw Shinra make some comment near the end of the game that is supposed to be a shout out to VII and nothing more, but that's all it was

It was actually an interview in the Ultimania guide

Nojima posted:

"During the game's progression, various vague things will be tied together to reveal it."

Interviewer: "For example, the name 'Shinra' suggests a connection with VII? There's <what's said> in the 'Graduation Mission' scenario ('graduation' referring to Shinra being soon to leave the Gullwings), and the 'I am not alone in my thinking' line from the 'Rin's Detective Work' scenario seems to have some particular significance."

Nojima: "Actually, it does. After quitting the Gullwings, Shinra received enormous financial support from Rin, and began trying to use Vegnagun to siphon Mako Energy from the Farplane. But, he is unable to complete the system for utilizing this energy in his generation, and in the future, when traveling to distant planets becomes possible, the Shin-Ra Company is founded on another world, or something like that....... That would happen about 1000 years after this story, I think."

--"So VII's story is after that?"

Nojima: "Well, you could say the feelings I have are like that. When I think about the characters, those are the kinds of feelings I already have. Shinra is a good child, but his descendants are going to end up becoming like the president <of Shin-Ra> (laughs)."

Excels fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 4, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
An interview that they made no effort to actually pay any attention to, confirm, or capitalize on so it's about as well informed as Nomura was on being FF7R's director

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh okay Nojima said it, so it's actually complete horseshit then, thanks.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Baal posted:

An interview that they made no effort to actually pay any attention to, confirm, or capitalize on so it's about as well informed as Nomura was on being FF7R's director

this isn't the only time they have referred to it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lol I'm sure

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Here is the thing to understand:

Japanese media doesn't really have a die-hard "we must adhere perfectly to canon" mindset with products, especially EU stuff. They are perfectly willing to pick and choose or release stuff that direct contradicts canon and then to ignore that stuff later. Most stuff is self-contained. If someone says in an interview that FFVII is a sequel to FFX then it matters not at all unless someone else chooses to do something with it. People freak out over "random tie-in novel said a thing!" but that only matters if they choose to acknowledge a random tie-in novel in a sequel game which they may or may not do.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i never said he wasn't allowed to pretend it's not canon

there's lots of stuff i'd sooner write off as non-canon myself

like genesis for example

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The difference is that's an actual thing in a canon game in the series and not some comment made by noted crazy person Nojima who was not only not the director of that game, but has also wrote a story that was poorly received by everyone that Square has not acknowledged since release.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
In the case of the FF series, "canon" is whatever pisses off the fans more.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been waiting for the day when Spirits Within was confirmed as canon

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Baal posted:

The difference is that's an actual thing in a canon game in the series and not some comment made by noted crazy person Nojima who was not only not the director of that game, but has also wrote a story that was poorly received by everyone that Square has not acknowledged since release.

they published it. that makes it canon retard. even though it's loving stupid.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

the only canon that matters is the one in your head

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I thought it was generally accepted that none of the games are connected beyond the sequels and side-games?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excels posted:

they published it. that makes it canon retard. even though it's loving stupid.

No it doesn't. Someone publishing something doesn't make it canon for Japanese media. Not even if it is done by the original author. That isn't how it works.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Sakurazuka posted:

the only canon that matters is the one in your head

This is the truth.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Not even if it is done by the original author. That isn't how it works.

im gonna politely ask how the gently caress that makes any sense, sir

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excels posted:

im gonna politely ask how the gently caress that makes any sense, sir

Japanese errata stuff is not specifically designed to be part of a hard-and-fast canon that you take as 100% accurate. They publish individual stories or concepts in the same universe but do not care in the slightest if they contradict one another. The only thing that matters for 'canon' is the individual story. Even if an author chooses to clarify something after the fact they will not particularly care if they then contradict themselves later. (Sometimes they don't even care if they do that in-series.)

The FFVII thing we were discussing earlier is a fine example of that. There are like five different versions of what happened at Nibelheim depending on the game or cartoon you watch and they don't give a shiiiiit. They may or may not give a poo poo about stuff like Genesis or Deep Ground when FFVII is remade and it doesn't matter either way if they do.

Zack was shot in the head by a sniper. He was killed by a handful of grunts. He fought an entire army and almost won. These are all true and not contradictory.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Let me ask you a question, do you think Persona: Trinity Soul is canon?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I want to put this thread in a cannon and shoot it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

.hack, which prided itself on being a multimedia machine, had a ton of side stories in anime and manga.

I'd say 75% of that was specifically stated to be non-canon, including one of the animes.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Baal posted:

Let me ask you a question, do you think Persona: Trinity Soul is canon?
I'd rather not think about Persona: trinity soul at all.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Mega64 posted:

In the case of the FF series, "canon" is whatever pisses off the fans more.

This is a good rule and is 100% guaranteed to maximize my entertainment.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Only liking something because it makes other people mad is a lovely trend this generation brought

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

.hack, which prided itself on being a multimedia machine, had a ton of side stories in anime and manga.

I'd say 75% of that was specifically stated to be non-canon, including one of the animes.

Every recent Gundam series has a bunch of sidestory mangas, some of which are specifically supposed to be about the history of characters from the shows, and every single one of them is semi-canonical at best and entirely ignored by the series at worst.

Tae posted:

Only liking something because it makes other people mad is a lovely trend this generation brought

This isn't really a new thing. "I like it because it pisses people I dislike off" is as old as time.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sometimes it's best to just make your own canon.

greatn posted:

Cranky Kong was actually rendered sterile after he was involved in tests of strong herbicides and pesticides by Stanley the bug man during a successful collection mission in the Congo. Mario saw the need for platforming action gorillas and conspired with Princess Daisy to begin les gorilles terribles, a project by which three clones of Cranky Kong were created. One was a perfect clone in every way and quickly became insane and transformed himself into a lizard, rolling over the lizard tribes, making himself King Kong Rool. He rapidly changed personalities as well, becoming Kaptain Kong Rool and Baron Kong Rool in his constant attempts to siege Donkey Kong Island. One clone was made using the so called "weak genes" of Cranky. This was Donkey Kong. The last clone was made from the strong genes, and this was Funky Kong.

Mario grew to fear the Kongs and believe they may be too powerful, and he kidnapped a young chimpanzee as a countermeasure, believing it was not necessarily genes, but circumstances and memes that made them who they were. Diddy Kong was put through a virtual reality simulation of Donkey Kong "country" in which he relived the events of the first war of the Kongs. The plan backfired, as Kaptain Kong Rool kidnapped Donkey Kong, solving the problem, but Diddy Kongs programming and experience caused him to instinctively rescue Donkey Kong, even after Mario inserted the sleeper agent Dixie to try and distract from his mission.

The mushroom kingdom was in panic as the Kongs expanded their territory, now having dominion over Kong, Kremling islands and expanding into the surrounding islands. As a last gambit Mario turned K. Rool to the mushroom cause and successfully captured both Donkey and Diddy, but his own agent Dixie had fallen in love with the smaller Kong and together with the child they had out of wedlock freed him.

The proxy war with the Kong Island continues to this day, with Mario employing the skills of tikis, snowmads, and even racing wizard pigs to try to show their expansion. Kong Rool is presumed dead.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

This isn't really a new thing. "I like it because it pisses people I dislike off" is as old as time.

Yup.

In my case though, I don't like stuff because it makes others upset. I just think that the overly spergy responses are hilarious.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

That loving Sned posted:

Sometimes it's best to just make your own canon.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Tae posted:

This makes me mad.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Japanese errata stuff is not specifically designed to be part of a hard-and-fast canon that you take as 100% accurate. They publish individual stories or concepts in the same universe but do not care in the slightest if they contradict one another. The only thing that matters for 'canon' is the individual story. Even if an author chooses to clarify something after the fact they will not particularly care if they then contradict themselves later. (Sometimes they don't even care if they do that in-series.)

The FFVII thing we were discussing earlier is a fine example of that. There are like five different versions of what happened at Nibelheim depending on the game or cartoon you watch and they don't give a shiiiiit. They may or may not give a poo poo about stuff like Genesis or Deep Ground when FFVII is remade and it doesn't matter either way if they do.

Zack was shot in the head by a sniper. He was killed by a handful of grunts. He fought an entire army and almost won. These are all true and not contradictory.

Sephiroth willingly jumping into the Mako was dumb and I sure as poo poo hope they don't do that for the VII Remake.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The only change to the Nibelheim Reactor scenario I liked was Sephiroth and Zack doing a fight down in the reactor compared to how FF7 had Zack just get chumped by Sephiroth. Partially because of it being a fun fight with great music and partially because Sephiroth did not get enough fights in basic human form throughout the series.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

ImpAtom posted:

This quote reminds me of how they handled Daggerfall's multiple endings. In brief, magic shenanigans means that every single ending happened at once (except the one where Not-Optimus-Prime goes berserk and destroys all of Tamriel).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Sephiroth willingly jumping into the Mako was dumb and I sure as poo poo hope they don't do that for the VII Remake.

As Sephiroth is about to strike down Cloud, Sephiroth falls from the ceiling and randomly impales Sephiroth with his sword. Cloud cries out for Sephiroth as Sephiroth removes his sword from Sephiroth's body and kicks Sephiroth into the lifestream. Cloud, berserk from just watching Sephiroth die, attacks Sephiroth and pushes him into the green goo.

Then Iscar Matthias brushes his hair to the side before darkly musing on the failings of humanity.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Crisis Core was a really good loving game and I would probably replay it if I cared to play on my PSP again.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Mega64 posted:

As Sephiroth is about to strike down Cloud, Sephiroth falls from the ceiling and randomly impales Sephiroth with his sword. Cloud cries out for Sephiroth as Sephiroth removes his sword from Sephiroth's body and kicks Sephiroth into the lifestream. Cloud, berserk from just watching Sephiroth die, attacks Sephiroth and pushes him into the green goo.

Then Iscar Matthias brushes his hair to the side before darkly musing on the failings of humanity.

I wish there were enough spaces to name someone Iscar Matthias. Preferably Cait Sith.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Baal posted:

Crisis Core was a really good loving game and I would probably replay it if I cared to play on my PSP again.

Some story parts were questionable, like the entire existence of Genesis entirely. Game was still really enjoyable though I agree and probably one of the most painful endings to game I've played.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Some story parts were questionable, like the entire existence of Genesis entirely. Game was still really enjoyable though I agree and probably one of the most painful endings to game I've played.

WHY`~YYYYYY~YYYY kodoku na sora wo miageru no? WHY`~YYYYYY~YYYY waratte misete yo

Cloud never got the chance to tell Aerith Zack became a hero :smith:

triggered

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

That loving Sned posted:

I wish there were enough spaces to name someone Iscar Matthias. Preferably Cait Sith.

Cloud's name is Cloud Strife, but this isn't indicated in his displayed name. Iscaar fits :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Nah, the best way to enhance your Final Fantasy VII experience is to just name every single character Sephiroth.

The meaning of a good 80% of the game doesn't even change.