Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Thanks a bunch all, especially Artix and ImpAtom for their writeup / LR op. Now I can safely clear up that 40 gig on my SSD and look forward to the next installment of this crazytrain. Also, that pixel retrospective was really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
40 gigs?!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Bust Rodd posted:

So does Lightning Returns play like an Action game then? Even something like The Witcher 2 would be fun, I just don't really want a turn based game. I watched the sprite recap of FFXIII and it looks confusing and dumb as hell (but I just uniformly think time travel is a lovely writing convention) but I want some cool fantasy action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB6T0MsvAgs

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tae posted:

40 gigs?!

No one cared about compressing stuff for PS3 because of bluray so probably still uses a bunch of uncompressed video and sound files.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

theres only two fmvs in the entire game though

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

No one cared about compressing stuff for PS3 because of bluray so probably still uses a bunch of uncompressed video and sound files.
This plus they don't give you a choice in the feature of having the japanese and english dub installed at the same time.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

theres only two fmvs in the entire game though

The story recaps you skip every time the game loads are pre-rendered, as are all the flashbacks to 13 and the oracle drive videos

Ultros is in there as well and you know that guy likes to spread out

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

ApplesandOranges posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGanWbw4rno

Lightning's trailer. Looks like double-Paradigm combos are an actual thing now that don't require assists.

Probably the most surprising thing in the video is that they aren't using Blinded by Light for advertised FF13 song.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Looks like they ditched Medic and just narrowed her focus down to comboing between magic and physical with Ravager and Commando. Looks much more smooth than she was in 012. I'm liking the looks of this game more and more as these videos come out.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Tempo 119 posted:

The story recaps you skip every time the game loads are pre-rendered, as are all the flashbacks to 13 and the oracle drive videos

Ultros is in there as well and you know that guy likes to spread out

fair enough

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I wonder when it's going to get ported to PS4. And then, when it's going to be localized.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Oh, also Alyssa turns out to be a traitor and the artifact she gives you turns out to be a trap. You can turn the tables on her in (the best) paradox ending.[/spoiler]

She does this because she herself is a paradox. She's supposed to be dead but the timestream getting all hosed up made her alive. By trying to fix everything, you will "re-kill:" her.

It's actually kind of sad. She was trying to help save humanity with Hope. Even sadder is the fact no one cares when she blips out of existence.. I mean, no one else would know except Serah and Noel but even they don't care. In fact, I don't think they ever mention her again after she betrays them and gets them killed.

XIII-2 is a weird game. There are so many reasons I could say it's awful but I still like it.

Ventana posted:

Probably the most surprising thing in the video is that they aren't using Blinded by Light for advertised FF13 song.

"Eden Under Siege" is a great song and it's also the song for possibly the most remembered scene in XIII ie. the racetrack scene.

But that scene is garbage, Oddly, I love the rest of that chapter.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

NikkolasKing posted:

In fact, I don't think they ever mention her again after she betrays them and gets them killed.

I mean, I wouldn't exactly want to bring her up in any positive light after what she did, and what happens afterwards is its own level of things screwing up royally so I could see Noel and Sarah forgetting about the whole betrayal thing for a sec when there's the Etro/Caius stuff about to happen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Her plotline is (very briefly) resolved in LR.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

All the great and stupid mysteries of FFXIII are resolved in LR, it seems. I really should play it someday.

After Fallout 4.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Apparently in one of the spin-off novels it turns out she's a huge psycho, she blames the former l'Cie for getting her killed in the Purge and she keeps a diary of all the ways she wants to murder Hope.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NikkolasKing posted:

Even sadder is the fact no one cares when she blips out of existence.. I mean, no one else would know except Serah and Noel but even they don't care. In fact, I don't think they ever mention her again after she betrays them and gets them killed.

There's actually a guy outside of the office who has a crush on Alyssa. He remembers her even after the paradox. :unsmith:

Alyssa would be a much better character if they actually took the time to flesh out her resolution and the cast's debate over the morality of killing someone again in XIII-2. But her moment happened way too late in the storyline.

Same thing happened in Tales of Xillia 2, actually.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only character arc I'm interested in is Chocolina's.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Man I do not remember anything about Alyssa besides the fact that she existed, and I spent an unreasonable number of hours in that game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

In Training posted:

Chocolina also gets a resolution in LR

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

soon

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

In Training posted:

ChocobocolinaaaaaAAAAA

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Man, the clothes are so baggy and fakey I almost thought this was some kind of live-action FFT ad from Japan.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Wow it literally is Valkyrie Profile.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

Chocolina also gets a resolution in LR

Yeah I played it on PS3.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It is so completely random they put in a brand new fighting engine for the 2nd sequel of a game just to never use it again.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Tae posted:

It is so completely random they put in a brand new fighting engine for the 2nd sequel of a game just to never use it again.

You sort of see the combat and character customization system's successor in Final Fantasy Mobius. In fact, you can see FFXIII assets reappear in the game as monsters and character clothing.

As for the engine, the game itself runs on Unity 5. I'd put Crystal Tools inability to become a competitive cross platform engine as the company's biggest failure, even above the failure of Square Pictures or spending half a billion dollars on Taito. At least they got Bubble Bobble with Taito.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

SE isn't known for being a well managed company. I didn't even know they owned Bubble Bobble -- I imagine they did nothing with it since Candy Crush is a thing, but nobody knows what Puzzle Bobble is anymore.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

most people only remember the puzzle bobble theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYd-PSRXo1o

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Puzzle bobble is great and could easily be spruced up for a mobile and/or handheld game. Of course it's not except in Japan and the U.K. There are of course a few popular freemium clones because of course there would be.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Dr Pepper posted:

Wow it literally is Valkyrie Profile.

Yeah. It's really good.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

bloodychill posted:

Puzzle bobble is great and could easily be spruced up for a mobile and/or handheld game. Of course it's not except in Japan and the U.K. There are of course a few popular freemium clones because of course there would be.

Looks like I was wrong because I forgot Puzzle Bobble is Bust A Move in America for some reason. Happily wrong.

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.
Y'shtola's trailer for Dissidia!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqU5nS1OFn8

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i don't care how bad y'shtola might play, i''ve become mentally conditioned to experience glee whenever i get to spam ff14's obnoxious holy animation so i have to play her

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

so.... noctis will be next? since Duscae is out there it should be fine right? and then Ramza last I bet

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bust-a-Move/Puzzle Bobble 4 is an amazing game. It has super fun mechanics and one of my favorite versus modes in any puzzle game.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I was going to be cross that they randomly gave her black magic and then I realized they gave her cross-class skills that would definitely be available to a Conjurer. Thunder is sort of a weird throwback since it was only crossable way back towards the start of 2.0 but Blizzard II and Ruin are legit.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I was going to be cross that they randomly gave her black magic and then I realized they gave her cross-class skills that would definitely be available to a Conjurer. Thunder is sort of a weird throwback since it was only crossable way back towards the start of 2.0 but Blizzard II and Ruin are legit.

And and and Ness never learned PSI Fire! This crossover fighting game is breaking my immersion :awesome:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

And and and Ness never learned PSI Fire! This crossover fighting game is breaking my immersion :awesome:

Excuse me you'll find that Ness' trophy explains that Paula and Poo taught him those PSI skills beforehand so it makes complete sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I'm not even sorry, I get huge nerd boners for these kinds of attention to details. :v:

Looking forward to seeing what they do with Ramza now.