Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Attitude Indicator posted:

jfc square, just finish your drat anime game already, who gives a poo poo about "procedual" skies

The louder a company gets about pretty graphics in a game the more afraid you should be for said game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I loved the ending of FF13-2 but getting the "secret" ending wasn't even remotely worth the effort. Was that seriously it?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Fister Roboto posted:

I loved the ending of FF13-2 but getting the "secret" ending wasn't even remotely worth the effort. Was that seriously it?

i told you it wasnt worth it dude

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I should have listened :cripes:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

What the-- What's the context behind this most glorious thing?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Saoshyant posted:

What the-- What's the context behind this most glorious thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuWkvyeAu0E

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

:lol: yeah

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Fister Roboto posted:

i liked the ending where snow suddenly barges into the plot, solves everything, and then steals serah to ride off into spacetime on a magic motorcycle, leaving noel to just sit and twiddle his thumbs with hope

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Evil Fluffy posted:

At least they're using UE4 for the PS4 version of DQXI and not whatever nightmare custom-built engine of the month they have lying around.

If the company's problems are purely technological rather than managerial, then there are a glut of solutions. Quality middleware is abundant. There are even support teams in Tokyo to help Japanese clients of middleware with development. The new consoles are x86 machines with good documentation. Nintendo's next systems are likely to support Unity and UE4.

However, we should never underestimate Square-Enix's ability to grab defeat from the jaws of victory.

Attitude Indicator posted:

jfc square, just finish your drat anime game already, who gives a poo poo about "procedual" skies

I'm curious what will happen to the Luminous Studios engine team after FFXV ships. Will they continue to work on their in-house engine, be folded into building their visual tech on top of middleware engines, or be disbanded altogether?

For big publishers, gone are the days of having ten programmers and an engine architect create your in-house tools. To field and support a cutting edge in-house engine these days, you usually need a team of over a hundred people covering a variety of fields from audio to cutscene direction. Many of them have to be the top of their field if you want your technology to be competitive. That's several million dollars in maintaining and updating your in-house every year.

Most in-house engine teams tend to be good at developing audio-visuals but poor in refining the actual day to day development tools/editors. At a certain point, it makes more sense to licence a fully supported engine than develop it in-house. We're seeing many big developers and publishers, especially in Japan, moving towards licensing middleware engines like Unreal Engine 4. It's easier to pay for a fully supported engine and attach your technology to their development tool rather than create the whole thing yourself. Capcom and Square-Enix are utilizing more and more middleware engines in lieu of their in-house engine.

Poor Panta Rhei.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Excels posted:

i liked the ending where snow suddenly barges into the plot, solves everything, and then steals serah to ride off into spacetime on a magic motorcycle, leaving noel to just sit and twiddle his thumbs with hope

It's widely agreed that the time cop ending is the best ending.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Excels posted:

It's the best ending and I almost wish it was the canon one.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sunning posted:

If the company's problems are purely technological rather than managerial, then there are a glut of solutions. Quality middleware is abundant. There are even support teams in Tokyo to help Japanese clients of middleware with development. The new consoles are x86 machines with good documentation. Nintendo's next systems are likely to support Unity and UE4.

However, we should never underestimate Square-Enix's ability to grab defeat from the jaws of victory.

I'm curious what will happen to the Luminous Studios engine team after FFXV ships. Will they continue to work on their in-house engine, be folded into building their visual tech on top of middleware engines, or be disbanded altogether?

For big publishers, gone are the days of having ten programmers and an engine architect create your in-house tools. To field and support a cutting edge in-house engine these days, you usually need a team of over a hundred people covering a variety of fields from audio to cutscene direction. Many of them have to be the top of their field if you want your technology to be competitive. That's several million dollars in maintaining and updating your in-house every year.

Most in-house engine teams tend to be good at developing audio-visuals but poor in refining the actual day to day development tools/editors. At a certain point, it makes more sense to licence a fully supported engine than develop it in-house. We're seeing many big developers and publishers, especially in Japan, moving towards licensing middleware engines like Unreal Engine 4. It's easier to pay for a fully supported engine and attach your technology to their development tool rather than create the whole thing yourself. Capcom and Square-Enix are utilizing more and more middleware engines in lieu of their in-house engine.

Poor Panta Rhei.
The high profile projects across even their western holdings seem to have bespoke engines so I guess it becomes a matter of weighing some of the side project successes with middleware vs the highs and lows of their own poo poo.

SE worldwide is probably big enough to justify one bespoke engine, so the smart play is that they are probably due a cross division thunderdome.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Does anyone else feel like there has been a distinct "pushing-aside" of story and character development in favor of graphical fidelity? Seems like a lot of AAA games have come out lately with godly graphics and very shallow story/gameplay

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I haven't played Fallout 4 yet but there's a weird amount of whining about how bad it looks so maybe they have to do that now to some extent

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Every AAA game wants to be a lovely movie now, so no.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excels posted:

Does anyone else feel like there has been a distinct "pushing-aside" of story and character development in favor of graphical fidelity? Seems like a lot of AAA games have come out lately with godly graphics and very shallow story/gameplay

Not really to be honest. If anything I'd say they've been amplified.

I mean if we're talking about Final Fantasy here, every story since the previous one has gotten more lengthy and complex, with longer cutscenes, tons more dialogue, a lot more twists and turns, and so-on. Gameplay mechanics have varied but generally a newer game has more complex mechanics than the older games. There are exceptions of course but the thing I'd say recent FF games are most guilty of is streamlining, not simplification.

There are games where I think they've done that but by and large modern games have more story and more complex game mechanics than their predecessors except in certain specific genres. (Usually complex simulation games, which are very rarely AAA games anyway.) I genuinely think Fallout 4 is a step back from New Vegas but even that is less a pushing aside of characters and plot and more a refocusing of it in a direction I didn't like.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Excels posted:

God no, i mean have you seen Fallout 4?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I haven't seen much of FO 4 because I'm too busy building houses for people.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Excels posted:

Witcher III looks good and apparently the story and worldbuilding are incredible. :shrug:

Fallout 4's graphics look pretty good and it sounds like the story in it is good as well.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Evil Fluffy posted:

Witcher III looks good and apparently the story and worldbuilding are incredible. :shrug:

Fallout 4's graphics look pretty good and it sounds like the story in it is good as well.

It really isn't

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Aside from the most hardcore of hardcore fans, even amongst the people who like that game I've heard very few people call that game's story anything above "serviceable." Bethesda's writers are not exactly the best in the industry.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's all kind of weird to me because I think once the PS3 came out, graphics reached a point for me where I'm pretty much always totally ok with them (even when people say they look bad)

The only times I find myself actually being really impressed now are when a game has a cool art direction or when smaller details like weather effects/facial animations are well done (which is kinda sad I guess since I remember being completely blown away by Super Mario 64/Luigi's Mansion etc)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Animations are the big killer to me.
lovely animations can make anything look awful regardless of how well modelled, textured and lit it is.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Excels posted:

Ah yes, this new and recent trend.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Honestly, the perfect video game story was already done in 1992, and it's name is The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Everything from that point on has been about graphics, because you can't get better than Zelda in any other way than that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I feel video game graphics have gotten as good as they're gonna get without being able to make real people in the game, so no graphical fidelity is not a loving thing I think people are striving for as the kicker anymore, Excels.

If anything more games trying too hard to pitch themselves as cinematic epics than actual video games and even when FF did that they didn't just dump a poo poo on the gameplay, Square knows how to make compromises so one isn't just killed for the sake of the other. It just happens that sometimes one or the other is bad because that's how the cookie crumbles.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I think you mean the original Legend of Zelda.

Fans: "Why does Link switch hands with his sword and shield when he moves left and right?"
Developers: "Because to save space we just flipped a sprite" "Because Link always keeps his shield facing Death Mountain"
Fans: :aaaaa:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Excels posted:

People have complained about this "trend" for as long as I've discussed video games online

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Fhqwhgads posted:

I think you mean the original Legend of Zelda.

That's a wrong opinion, but it is an opinion nevertheless, and I respect it. Link to the Past is superior in every single way I can think of

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
in fact, I'm pretty sure that all of the graphical poo poo we're getting including the rock modelling is incidental poo poo they know is not important so they can afford to just have that out there compared to more story and gameplay which they need to plan for another trailer on so they know for sure when their game is ready

Just a hunch maybe
A theory
A possibility, if you will

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

People like to pretend that old games had amazing stories and incredible writing because that's how they felt when they were kids and didn't know any better. If anything story story writing has gotten better as companies hire writers who actually know what they're doing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Back my day the only story was finding out if you were a bad enough dude to rescue the president.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Fister Roboto posted:

People like to pretend that old games had amazing stories and incredible writing because that's how they felt when they were kids and didn't know any better. If anything story story writing has gotten better as companies hire writers who actually know what they're doing.

No, games were legitimately better back then because you had people who just wanted to make fun games, not be some deep engrossing thing designed to sell millions and drown yourselves in money.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

zedprime posted:

The high profile projects across even their western holdings seem to have bespoke engines so I guess it becomes a matter of weighing some of the side project successes with middleware vs the highs and lows of their own poo poo.

SE worldwide is probably big enough to justify one bespoke engine, so the smart play is that they are probably due a cross division thunderdome.

The companies that are sticking to in-house engines are typically a first party developer that needs to push the hardware, a tiger team with history of engine development/support (DICE), a developer in a region with access to affordable talent (Techland/CDProjekt), or a company that wants to preserve their existing system due to the growing pains/switching costs of adopting middleware.

The first three make sense but the last one just puts off a problem until its gets much worse. As I mentioned before, it's very expensive to internally develop and support a top shelf engine, especially if you're fielding multiple internal solutions at the same time. Across Eidos and Square-Enix Japan, the company has four internal engines for AAA games that they continue to update and support (five if you count Hitman 2016's Glacier and Deus Ex Mankind Divided's Dawn engine separately, six if you add in Crystal Tools for Dragon Quest X).

Excels posted:

If anything, the typical AAA game these days includes much more story and cutscenes than that of the previous generation. The developers that couldn't afford keeping up with trends left AAA development, went indie/mid-tier, or became defunct. You might have a case where the story was cut due to development issues (Destiny, MGS5, etc.) but most games focus on story through the use of motion captured performances and cutting edge visuals. Even sports games, such as the NBA 2K series, include lengthy story modes and cutscenes directed by Hollywood talent.

As I said before, that's just the natural trend of AAA game development as manpower and budget requirements skyrocket. We're approaching the singularity in which every AAA game is either a sports game, a multiplayer FPS buffet, an open world action game, or a Nintendo game:

I'm waiting for the open world first person soccer game by Nintendo which will destroy the world.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Bethesda is one of the few AAA RPG developers that's managed to keep its headcount relatively low when compared to its top competitors. More importantly, they're consistently shipping products in 3-4 year development cycles that are much bigger commercial hits than that of the competition.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gologle posted:

No, games were legitimately better back then because you had people who just wanted to make fun games, not be some deep engrossing thing designed to sell millions and drown yourselves in money.

Then what the gently caress is Xenogears and half of the JRPGs that came out and Shadow of Destiny and Indigo Prophecy and

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Gologle posted:

Just a hunch, but I'm pretty sure people in the 80s and 90s liked money.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
These 8 year olds have a lot of nostalgia somehow

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ronald McDonald made my favorite video games and he did it out of the love of his heart unlike these cold soulless game devs these days

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
My issue with a lot of video game stories is poor execution. You can write a pretty complex and intricate story with a lot of potential to it, but if you gently caress up the execution then it's pretty much a waste. Just look at Fallout 4 and how, despite the story having potential (I genuinely liked the story up until a certain point), ends up being poo poo when compared to, say, a game where a guy finds redemption thanks to his dad Space Jesus and ends up riding a space whale to the moon to meet his moon uncle so they can team up to beat up a giant robot controlled by the main character's brother who was brainwashed by another moon man. The latter is loving ridiculous in concept but is still presented in a way that is engaging enough to at the very least not piss you off over what could have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Link to the Past was the last time I was ever happy playing a video game. Really, it was the last time I was happy doing anything ever.