Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Uh, I'll have you know the persona series lets you play as a Dog, bear, cat, and whatever the hell Baofu is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Baal posted:

Uh, I'll have you know the persona series lets you play as a Dog, bear fursuiter dressed up as a bear, cat, and whatever the hell Baofu is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Baal posted:

Uh, I'll have you know the persona series lets you play as a Dog, bear, cat, and whatever the hell Baofu is.
he's taiwanese, you racist

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Chrono Trigger had a frogman and a giant robot in your party

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Something hopefully less controversial that's bugging me about 12 IZJS is the Black Mage board, specifically the layout of the weapons and armour. They're in the same line instead of being different paths, and there are two armour licences to each weapon licence, so you're either unnecessarily far ahead on armour or too far behind on weapons.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Is Explorers fun if I go in expecting just some mindless PSO-esque killing type of fun?

I mean I know it doesn't reach the heights of Monster Hunter, but it seems to have a fair bit of content

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Yes, PSO is the typical comparison and it's a pretty spot on comparison. I've put 34 hours into it and am only now at the "end of the game" so to speak, which is only 5* missions. They go all the way up to 10* as I hear. You've seen all the environments and bosses by the end of the story in 5* so it's a lot of reuse but hey, can't complain with the playtime I've already gotten out of it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I got to Ifrit in Explorers and found it to be painfully unfun, which sucks because I like a lot of the ideas they have (airshipping to particular areas, ability mutation, skipping the "returning in 30s" thing).

Also it's really not like PSO at all, not even PS Nova. It's like Ragnarok Odyssey but with more crafting.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I have a mental problem because I got it and enjoy it immensely

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Augus posted:

Chrono Trigger had a frogman and a giant robot in your party

Chrono Cross had....

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

"Ivalice is for the Humes."

And the Bangaa, Moogles, Garif, Seeq, and new lion guys? No?

Not to restart this but since I'm quoting a Viera, I don't mind Myrn or Jote, it's the breathiness (raspiness was a bad description written at like 2AM) of Fran specifically that's annoying me.

E: Actually OK the Garif are also isolated but the others stand afaik.

Oh, and I was discounting Gria for being from Tactics A2 but I forgot it had FF12 cameos so it's the same time period.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 7, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I think, as bloated as it may have become, 13 party members for the Zodiac would have been nice and thematic, honestly I thought it would have been fun if you guys wound up being the 'Zodiac Braves' from FFT. Though it's definitely the XII crews fault that Ivalice progressively got worse before losing all magic by the time of FFTA's St. Ivalice.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

TommyGun85 posted:

Chrono Cross had....

A pink dog, a voodoo doll, an alien, a fairy, a luchador, a man turned into a giant mushroom, a baby dragon, Freddy Mercury, a man who only wears a giant helmet and constantly shouts, a sentient turnip man modeled after a frog, multiple children, a chef that can turn into a Hulk, a good portion of the bad guys, the skeleton of a child clown, the alternate-reality version of your girlfriend, female Yoda living between dimensions, and the Aussie clone of a girl that's been fused by the time-hosed world-eating parasite of the last game.

*exhales*

Who the gently caress wrote this god drat poo poo.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TommyGun85 posted:

Chrono Cross had....
"Bring it in, boys!" *every character from every reality in Chrono Cross comes in to be a HUGE useless piece of poo poo*

Mega64
May 23, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

"Bring it in, boyscha!" *every charactercha from every realitycha in Chrono Crosscha comes in to be a HUGE useless piece of shitcha*

Fixed.

e: Someone please tell me the accent generator exists on PC form, a quick Google search hasn't popped anything up.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Man, that game was such a mess.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Chrono Cross was the peak of PSX-era JRPG bloat. That game didn't know what the gently caress it was doing, but it sure did a lot of it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I sincerely want someone to release a bunch of production details about it. I would read a book about what happened. Something crazy must have been going on behind the scenes, because there are some bizarre decisions there.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Chrono Cross was a game that really was trying to do too much. And I realize that the idea was to not just make "Chrono Trigger 2" But while you were trading Time Travel for dimensions, the expansive world for a single archipelago and the tight, focused cast for every character under the sun... could you have relented from throwing out plot pacing? There's a perfectly easy to follow story there with Lynx, the Dragoons and FATE.

We did not need half the game to also be about Environmental issues.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBuDsdsa9Jg

Mega64
May 23, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Man, that game was such a mess.

Chrono Cross is the most bizarre sequel I've seen. It blatantly kills off the entire cast of the previous game and claims their actions have hosed everything up and led to a podunk city becoming a military power because the comic relief villain time-traveled there and built a massive army to take out the biggest kingdom in the world. It ditches the surprisingly simplistic time-travel premise of the first game in favor of two alternate realities that split depending on whether the main character was mauled to death by a panther as a kid (or was it him being sick, I can't remember). It quickly gets up its own rear end with lots of talk of dimensional and time travel pseudo-science following a plot line that makes no sense unless you dedicate time writing a GameFAQs plot synopsis for it. At one point, the main character switches bodies with some crazed cat man that was created by a computer as some sort of amalgamation of the main character's father and a panther that killed him. In the end you have to cast spells in a specific order based on color to defeat the giant time-eating space porcupine with a girl attached to save the world where all those hosed-up characters I mentioned live.

This is a game that could only be made in the PS1 era. This was the time Square was fine experimenting with giant pink puffballs being crucified and learning bear-people's language to sell them lamps to help a centaur gently caress a siren. Unfortunately Square learned the wrong lessons and decided to double-down on the complex story and philisophical poo poo rather than all the goofy-rear end nonsense poo poo that actually made those games memorable. At least it looks like they're finally going back the other way with Lightning Returns, FF14, and what we've seen of FF15.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Chrono Cross seriously feels like they started making one game and ended up with another midway through. Maybe they picked game ideas by throwing darts while yelling "I'm doing Yakra's needle attack!"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i like chrono cross better then trigger :twisted:

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
It's a shame because I really wanted to like Chrono Cross. I liked the idea of alternate dimensions instead of time travel. And the mucis was SO chill. I didn't even care that Chrono and co died lame off screen deaths. I did care that the story made no sense and 95% of the plot details were dumped onto you all at once at the very end of the game by Belthasar.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

IX was good about not all humans. I mean they all look pretty humany but technically it's only really Steiner and Amarant who are I guess. No dogs though, could've done with one of those.

VII had a dog, Persona 3 had a dog, Shadow Hearts 2 had a wolf, they were all great characters. More RPGs should have dog party members. Ifrit in X looks like a big dog, and there's Daigoro, Yuna gets a dog in X-2, VI has Interceptor. XIII-2 and SMT and Pokemon have as many dogs as you want. I dunno why I'm just listing rpgs with dogs now, but there you go. I just like dogs in games I guess.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
How could you forget

Interestingly, "dog smoking a pipe" is not nearly as specific of a google image search as I thought it was going to be. There's a lot of precedence for a dog smoking a pipe.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

McDragon posted:

and there's Daigoro, Yuna gets a dog in X-2
I thought the dog Yuna got was Daigoro?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

i like chrono cross better then trigger :twisted:

I did, too. I concede Trigger is probably a better game according to most objective measures but I prefer Cross. It was just plain more fun. Better music, too.

To me, it honestly felt like Chrono Cross wanted to be Xenogears. Masato Kato had just come off helping with Xenogears before this and it really shows, in my opinion. CC is his attempt to make CT more like Xenogears.

The result is a lot of bloat, a lot of stuff that isn't properly detailed or explained or is just explained in the most obtuse way possible. But I also think a lot of it is really neat and interesting. Stuff like the Dragons and the whole Nature vs. Technology thing going on.

As for the large cast, I think a lot of them don't get enough appreciation. Yes, a lot of them are useless but that doesn't mean everyone is just a different accent. I always liked Karsh, to pick a less obvious example. I was happy he got his own flashback and everything.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't see Cross as a Trigger sequel at all really, just a game with some sick Trigger leit-motifs.

The gameplay of Cross is good enough for me to enjoy it, but it's not one of Square's best PS1 efforts.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Chrono Trigger is objectively the better game but I love Cross so much for all the weird good poo poo and the chill music and the islander themes. Cross was perfect because it went 110% on every crazy stupid thing it could. The party members, their personal quests (MOJOY), the setting, the idea of exploring the consequences of how time travel worked in Trigger and how hosed everything could naturally become thanks to just constantly loving with time poo poo for petty reasons like "Hey maybe I could break the timeline just to get a slightly better piece of armor...." and then throwing on the broken dimension on top of that.

10/10 game, would not play it ever again.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There are some great moments in Chrono Cross, like the first Dead Sea segment.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Random question.

I just completed my second run of FFXIII and I still like Snow and Hope. I was talking about them elsewhere and someone said their subplot is just a badly written ripoff of some subplot from Persona 3.

Has anyone here played Persona 3? Is there any legitimacy to this comparison or is it just typical FFXIII bashing?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Random question.

I just completed my second run of FFXIII and I still like Snow and Hope. I was talking about them elsewhere and someone said their subplot is just a badly written ripoff of some subplot from Persona 3.

Has anyone here played Persona 3? Is there any legitimacy to this comparison or is it just typical P3 is a gift from thegods/FFXIII is the spawn of Satan and Hitler?

I wouldn't call it a ripoff and P3 didn't do it much better, but the relationship between Shinjiro and Ken is pretty similar, yeah.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

McDragon posted:

Shadow Hearts 2 had a wolf
Blanca is my favorite video game dog.

He has an ongoing sidequest where you have to meet a bunch of other powerful dogs and defeat them in solo combat.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Random question.

Has anyone here played Persona 3? Is there any legitimacy to this comparison or is it just typical FFXIII bashing?

You should play Persona 3/4, they're good

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Persona 3 is good but the combat system in all version but the PSP one is pretty bad, but the PSP one's everything else is worse (though the female story route is fun).

Persona 4 is just JoJo part 4 but considerably worse. It is still very good though. I haven't played Golden so can't speak of it, nor any of its million spin-offs.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Persona 3 is good but the combat system in all version but the PSP one is pretty bad, but the PSP one's everything else is worse (though the female story route is fun).

Persona 4 is just JoJo part 4 but considerably worse. It is still very good though. I haven't played Golden so can't speak of it, nor any of its million spin-offs.

Golden is just a version of P4 with smore stuff/improved gameplay.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I got to Ifrit in Explorers and found it to be painfully unfun

Did Ifrit have a fire aura around him? If so, well... say hi to Ramuh, Shiva, and Dryad. And then say hi to them again for the dress-up mats.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Chrono Cross may be a hot mess but it has one of the best soundtracks of anything in recent times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV-FvxoR1PQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It released in 1999, when's the cutoff date for recent times