Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I snuffed out both Demon Walls with Quickening chains, though the second one gave me the impression that I was probably not fighting the way the developers wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I actually beat them both the same way, which I only found out after the fifth attempt.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Oxxidation posted:

I snuffed out both Demon Walls with Quickening chains, though the second one gave me the impression that I was probably not fighting the way the developers wanted.

If the developers didn't want you to nuke boss HP with quickenings, they shouldn't have made them turn invincible at 15% health :colbert:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

AlphaKretin posted:

I got my rear end kicked on the shorter one because I didn't realise it, ran to the longer one on my next attempt, and then discovered the torch thing and lost my chance to refight the shorter one by winning there. Then I heard rereading the LP FF7 Thread that he had a game breaking rare steal. :suicide:

So how people like to slot status effects and breaks into gambits? I can't figure out how to not make my characters spam them until they can't, at which point they can't so anything else either.

Yeah, you can always go back and refight the optional one. And it's not a steal; once you defeat both demon walls, you can access an optional area that can spawn a pretty good sword in a chest. I don't think that sword spawns in IZJS though, so there's not as much reason to do it. Also, in Vanilla, immediately after Raithwall's tomb you can go get a much, much better sword, so it's not really that game-breaking either.

For status effects, Any Foe-> Blind will have them cast blind until it sticks, and then they'll stop casting it and move on to the next gambit in the list. So it's only worth setting up if you know a boss is vulnerable to that status; you wouldn't want them for normal exploring. For breaks, you basically just turn the gambit off once you feel the enemy's been stat broken enough. Of course, you don't get access to the breaks until pretty late, but I guess they are kinda game-breaking.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I was really disappointed that the two superswords you get that can cut god crystal suck. Like, it makes total sense in the story, yeah, and beyond that use they're only ornamental, but I really wanted there to be some kind of quest you could get in the endgame to power them up.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Shame that the Occuria don't appear elsewhere in the series, outside of XII (and barring a brief cameo in Revenant Wings).

Their designs were kinda neat, and their motivations were interesting - especially Venat's.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Those dudes were evil as gently caress, just look at their designs. They made the Espers that would eventually go crazy and cause FFT. Ivalice is better off without them (you're right though, wish they had appeared more).

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Explorers talk: Should I start stapling poo poo to my gear at around 3*-4*? Because I tried Fenrir as a Machinist and he seems to kick my rear end pretty consistently. Won the fight with two downs, though.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Gologle posted:

Those dudes were evil as gently caress, just look at their designs. They made the Espers that would eventually go crazy and cause FFT. Ivalice is better off without them (you're right though, wish they had appeared more).

Isn't Ivalice kind of a shithole by the time FFT rolls around? Plus most of the races have either died off or severed all contact with humans.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Yeah, honestly things were pretty good when the Occuria were guiding things. Then XII happened and humanity took the "reigns of history" back, and everything went to poo poo.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Isn't Ivalice kind of a shithole by the time FFT rolls around? Plus most of the races have either died off or severed all contact with humans.

Hey man you can't really account for poo poo like a giant meteor crashing down and almost ending all life on the planet

e: apparently they've never actually specified what the Cataclysm in Ivalice was

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 14, 2016

Barudak
May 7, 2007

voltcatfish posted:

Hey man you can't really account for poo poo like a giant meteor crashing down and almost ending all life on the planet

e: apparently they've never actually specified what the Cataclysm in Ivalice was

Marche

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, honestly things were pretty good when the Occuria were guiding things. Then XII happened and humanity took the "reigns of history" back, and everything went to poo poo.

Eventually (according to the Ultimania) concluding with the modern world, and Ivalice being reduced to the town of St. Ivalice.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Wait. So the intro and epilogue of FFTA are set (hundreds of years) after Vagrant Story? :psyduck: BS.

It seemed more like it was an alternate reality, what with Ivalice being passed of as fiction, with the name St. Ivalice being a har-har coincidence.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

AlphaKretin posted:

Wait. So the intro and epilogue of FFTA are set (hundreds of years) after Vagrant Story? :psyduck: BS.

It seemed more like it was an alternate reality, what with Ivalice being passed of as fiction, with the name St. Ivalice being a har-har coincidence.

Yup. Like thousands of years after, magic has all but died, history is all but reduced to fiction. The Grimoire Mewt has is a reflection of the Golden Age of Ivalice, and the one that... what's the FFTA2 kid? Starts with an L, the one he finds is actual time travel.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Luso. When people groan about Ivalice's canon connections as if they're as bad as X>VII or TAY I tend to roll my eyes but I should have known that the Ultimania would make everything worse.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I like Ivalice a lot and kind of dig that it's a world creeping steadily towards a further apocalypse. I kind of would have liked to see more dark fantasy like Vagrant Story come out of Square.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Onmi posted:

Yup. Like thousands of years after, magic has all but died, history is all but reduced to fiction. The Grimoire Mewt has is a reflection of the Golden Age of Ivalice, and the one that... what's the FFTA2 kid? Starts with an L, the one he finds is actual time travel.

do you have a source saying that FFTA is set in the world of Ivalice, cause everything the game tells you is that Mewt's Fantasy world is just that

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
ugh the way my post is worded is terrible, i basically mean prove that FFTA is the canon Ivalice and not just a fantasy world created by Mewt like the game says

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

do you have a source saying that FFTA is set in the world of Ivalice, cause everything the game tells you is that Mewt's Fantasy world is just that

The game tells you Marche lives in St. Ivalice. :confused: The dream world is just that but it's at least based on Ivalice, I have no idea how that's even questionable.

Wasn't it one of the first Ivalice Alliance titles?

Edit: ah. No, I think everything in FFTA is gone by the end, which is only fitting as the worst Tactics game they've made yet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ffta is better than fft

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ugh the way my post is worded is terrible, i basically mean prove that FFTA is the canon Ivalice and not just a fantasy world created by Mewt like the game says

i thought so too, but officially luso went to the real one and mewt gave him the book to do so, so ????

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Endorph posted:

ffta is better than fft

Oh, you.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Does it matter?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

multijoe posted:

Does it matter?

Not really because the Creator destroyed the real Ivalice with his army of green-haired women.

What the gently caress is with this series.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

multijoe posted:

Does it matter?
it doesnt, at all, but people need excuses to act like square is ruining their childhood

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Endorph posted:

it doesnt, at all, but people need excuses to act like square is ruining their childhood

My childhood was already ruined because I spent it playing Final Fantasy games.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Endorph posted:

ffta is better than fft

:agreed:

multijoe posted:

Does it matter?

i enjoy discussing final fantasy in the final fantasy thread, so sue me bitch

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Endorph posted:

it wouldn't ruin my childhood, it is really so amazing that i might want to read whatever omni is talking about, if it was said by a game dev or something?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Feels like we should only be allowed to talk about Vincent today

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

Feels like we should only be allowed to talk about Vincent today

I'd rather go on about FFTA for pages than even acknowledge most of the games Vincent was in.

Why don't y'all like Tactics? The jobs are unique and a lot of fun to discover, the story is great, and the retranslation only improved upon it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont really like the story, especially after the second half, and the retranslation has some decent lines but is mostly trying way too hard

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
ffta has bunny assassins

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
FFTA is the worst Final Fantasy (Tactics). FFT has butt pants though which is either great or terrible and I don't even know

Also

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

bloodychill posted:

FFTA is the worst Final Fantasy (Tactics). FFT has butt pants though which is either great or terrible and I don't even know

Undeniably great. If Dissidia is missing that outfit, I expect a global boycott.

Matsuno should come back for one last FFT game bridging XII and Tactics with playable Viera and Bangaa. It'd only be right.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hated the Law system with a passion so I didn't get on well with either TA. Restricting your options like that is just bad design. At least in 2 the penalty was less harsh.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I think the Ivalice Mewt and his friends were sent to was a fantasy Ivalice based on what it used to be like in the past, with magic and whatnot. But the Gran Grimoire's purpose changes in pretty much every Ivalice game. In Vagrant Story is was a book filled with black magic that could control life itself, in Tactics it could transform a town into a fantasy town created by the desires of the townsfolk, in Tactics A2 it's said to have the ability to alter reality and have powers of time travel.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Which FFTA was it where you could kill off Montblanc and the game would carry on without him? Both?

Either way, it's cool you can do that even if you're a bastard if you do.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

FFTA is only based on Ivalice; it's a false world created by the Gran Grimoire that mashes up elements from Mewt's present with the ancient past of the real Ivalice. In FFTA2, which takes place long enough after TA that Mewt is a teacher at the protagonist's school, Luso is actually transported back in time by the grimoire, and his adventure takes place on an island nation not too far across the sea from the continent Ivalice.

I don't have a link to a source on that, but it's apparent from information provided in the games themselves. XII and TA2 are clearly set in the same world as FFT pre-Cataclysm, and someone (I think it might be Mewt himself, but I could be wrong) mentions specifically that Ivalice is their world's ancient past. TA is definitely some kind of magical fantasy world, though. Apparently one based on a game that is based on their world's actual history? What a convoluted mess.

e;fb, but I'll add that the Gran Grimoire's "power" is that it can do literally anything and is only limited by the imagination and desires of whoever uses it. Ashley Riot absorbs it in Vagrant Story, but he can only understand it in terms of The Dark and his understanding of the other magical grimoires, so it only functions for him in that capacity.

CeallaSo fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 14, 2016