Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I understand that the voice acting for narration is generally less awkwardly delivered because there aren't lipflaps, but I do wonder. Why is narration Tidus' voice a bit deeper than gameplay Tidus? He sounds a couple years older in the narration and that's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hamsterlady posted:

I understand that the voice acting for narration is generally less awkwardly delivered because there aren't lipflaps, but I do wonder. Why is narration Tidus' voice a bit deeper than gameplay Tidus? He sounds a couple years older in the narration and that's weird.

He just sounded more somber because he's telling you all this right next to the campfire that's basically their Last Supper.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mega64 posted:

Except when Faris is involved.

Double spoilers. Why would you do this?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Please tell me you aren't serious.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

tellah is still my favorite character

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

He just sounded more somber because he's telling you all this right next to the campfire that's basically their Last Supper.

Yeah, that makes sense. I heard it as "older" but that's probably a biproduct of listening to most of the game through the vita speakers.

Also I continue playing FFVIII for the first time without really going out of my way to break it. I have over 3000 HP and enemies are still hitting me for 50-100. When the game just drops a way to get 300 curaga magic for just a tiny amount of gil right into my lap, how can I resist junctioning 100 to each character's HP

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

Yeah what the hell man, it's supposed to be a huge surprise when Faris's timbers get shivered. Mods???

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He had a swig of Auron's books home before starting his narration. It made a man out of him for a while

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Does anyone have a link to a gameplay showcase that actually goes over gameplay for FFXIV? I was thinking about taking the plunge.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Kulkasha posted:

Does anyone have a link to a gameplay showcase that actually goes over gameplay for FFXIV? I was thinking about taking the plunge.
I'm sure someone in the FFXIV thread in the MMO HMO could find some for you. It's very similar to WoW in basic concept though, it's a tab targeting MMO with a heavy focus on boss gimmicks/mechanics and a slower pace than WoW in exchange for more stuff to do between global cooldowns.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Holy poo poo, Faris is a pirate?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Bartz's real name is Butz.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I do honestly get Golbez and Exdeath visually confused sometimes. Usually the "does this one look kinda like Darth Vader" mantra sends me in the right direction.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If it helps, Exdeath can turn into a splinter while Golbez can turn into a hand.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Bartz's real name is Butz.

バッツ・クラウザー (Battsu Kurauzā)
:qqsay:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Fister Roboto posted:

I wanted to see Yuna's statue too, but I wanted to see it

withyunabymyside

What is the excuse for that line? It's internal monologue, there aren't any lip flaps to match!

In FFX, every English audio clip had to be the exact same length as the Japanese audio clip for that line. So here and there you get lines like those. It's most obvious with Yuna's "Yes".

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

zolthorg posted:

Not sure what you're trying to say here, that does mean Buts/Butts/Butz just like "Kuraudo" means "Cloud".

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

bloodychill posted:

I do honestly get Golbez and Exdeath visually confused sometimes. Usually the "does this one look kinda like Darth Vader" mantra sends me in the right direction.

One has white armour and the other has black armour.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Exdeath has blue armor, actually

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Kanfy posted:

Not sure what you're trying to say here, that does mean Buts/Butts/Butz just like "Kuraudo" means "Cloud".

Bartz isnt really as contentious as people calling Mascias aka Matt "Mash" or mispronouncing Cecil Harvey aka "Seshiru Havi" aka Seh Sil not See Sil :smug:

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Baal posted:

Exdeath has blue armor, actually

Dissida has Golbez kinda looking more dark blue than anything.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's certainly a shitton of purple on that armor for sure

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

In FFX, every English audio clip had to be the exact same length as the Japanese audio clip for that line. So here and there you get lines like those. It's most obvious with Yuna's "Yes".

It's the radio car ad effect! Also I love that the real technical reason for it is basically that translations back then were pretty much professional rom-hacks.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Dissida has Golbez kinda looking more dark blue than anything.

Actually it has him half naked, buff, and somehow eyeless.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dewgy posted:

It's the radio car ad effect! Also I love that the real technical reason for it is basically that translations back then were pretty much professional rom-hacks.

The best example is Sonic Adventure 2's "You're not even good enough to be my f-I'LL MAKE YOU EAT THOSE WORDS"
The audio files had to trigger at the same time as they did in the Japanese version, and that caused...problems.
Not to mention the problems with audio balancing in that game.
A lot of people forget how far English dubbing has come in the past decade and a half, they used to be a complete clusterfuck.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
SA2 has amazing dialogue that you couldn't possibly hear even if you really strained to

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

My wife saw me playing FFX and wanted to try it for herself. So far she's played 3 hours straight and this is a person who doesn't play games much. I think she might like RPGs :v:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

GreyPowerVan posted:

My wife saw me playing FFX and wanted to try it for herself. So far she's played 3 hours straight and this is a person who doesn't play games much. I think she might like RPGs :v:

Stop her before she gets to endgame minigame hell, or her love will die on the vine.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

Stop her before she gets to endgame minigame hell, or her love will die on the vine.

You can just not do any of them

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

It doesn't appear she's a completionist so that shouldn't be a problem. I do enjoy playing blitzball though

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Anyone who isn't a crazy dedicated gamer would very quickly decide to ignore the boring optional minigames altogether.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kulkasha posted:

Literally like WoW. Takes a bit long to get interesting. I personally like WoW class design/skillset better but I prefer FFXIV as a game overall.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I grabbed FFX/X-2 having never played them before, and checked out some tips for the sphere grid because it looked overwhelming. After some reading, it seems like the HD remasters added some extract skills that weren't in the original or something that makes it easier to farm spheres? And they're all various amounts of out of the way. Should I prioritize getting these before anything else despite the ~3 node detours that would require?

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Insurrectionist posted:

I grabbed FFX/X-2 having never played them before, and checked out some tips for the sphere grid because it looked overwhelming. After some reading, it seems like the HD remasters added some extract skills that weren't in the original or something that makes it easier to farm spheres? And they're all various amounts of out of the way. Should I prioritize getting these before anything else despite the ~3 node detours that would require?

No, not at all. The only type of sphere you *might* be light on when starting is Ability spheres so I would advise picking that one up if you feel like it, just in case, but every other type of sphere you will get an overabundance of by just moving forward.

Cape Cod Crab Chip fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 28, 2016

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Alright, thanks for the tip. Yeah I kinda just didn't bother with the grid for a while and ended up slotting in the first ~10 levels for each character simultaneously, and I noticed it left me with only 3 Ability Spheres left vs a dozen or more of all the other Spheres, so it got me wondering if I was gonna run into a shortage of each eventually. I guess I'll just pick up the Extract Ability one just in case, and leave the others then.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You don't need to worry about stuff like that unless you're planning on doing the insane post-game grind to beat the optional super bosses.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

zolthorg posted:

Does Buttz's name really have two smiley faces in it, that's awesome.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A smiley face high-fiving another offscreen.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

zedprime posted:

Three if you include the big one near the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

zedprime posted:

When you think about it, it also has an actual butt in it in English. ----> B