Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Insurrectionist posted:

Alright, thanks for the tip. Yeah I kinda just didn't bother with the grid for a while and ended up slotting in the first ~10 levels for each character simultaneously, and I noticed it left me with only 3 Ability Spheres left vs a dozen or more of all the other Spheres, so it got me wondering if I was gonna run into a shortage of each eventually. I guess I'll just pick up the Extract Ability one just in case, and leave the others then.

Don't use it on bosses or it'll overwrite rare sphere type drops, IIRC anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The best tip I can give someone for FFX is to make sure you can overkill everything. Typically this means exploiting elemental weaknesses, but for some encounters and bosses you'll need to pop Valefor's overdrive (you did go back and grab energy beam, right?). Getting 50% more AP from every encounter makes you level super fast, and leveling faster just makes it easier to overkill, so it has a snowball effect. You also get double the sphere drops and more gil.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

The best tip I can give someone for FFX is to make sure you can overkill everything. Typically this means exploiting elemental weaknesses, but for some encounters and bosses you'll need to pop Valefor's overdrive (you did go back and grab energy beam, right?). Getting 50% more AP from every encounter makes you level super fast, and leveling faster just makes it easier to overkill, so it has a snowball effect. You also get double the sphere drops and more gil.

Energy blast I think. Valefor starts with energy ray

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Tonfa posted:

Don't use it on bosses or it'll overwrite rare sphere type drops, IIRC anyway

That sounds bad, good thing I haven't had a chance to play yet anyway.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I just got through Terra's campaign in Birth by sleep and I don't think I can handle any more of the game or Kingdom Hearts in general.

I loved this series when I was a kid but now it just drives me crazy how lifeless everything seems. Barren environments, rarely more than two NPC's allowed to exist at a time, some of the worst voice direction in big-name games today - the only people who can put in decent performances are old hands like Mark Hamill or Leonard Nimoy (dead). Even the gameplay's kind of bad, because at some point SE decided it was best if every boss just trapped you in long, unbreakable combo strings that trap you if you get tapped once.

It doesn't help that BbS recommends you start with Terra, the dumbest motherfucker who ever lived.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I mean I've never played Kingdom Hearts but doesn't she genuinely have brain damage from the slave crown business?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Different Terra

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Man there are two terras and two rikkus? hosed up

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

voltcatfish posted:

One Riku, one Rikku.

FF6's protag's name is Tina, not Terra :colbert:.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Sarah/Sara/Serah is the main recurring FF name right?

1, 3, 9 and 13 had one off the top of my head.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

pichupal posted:

cid.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
There is a Sarah in Final Fantasy Dimensions, who was a warrior princess and her lover was the lead knight of her royal guard and also a paladin, arguably the best job for the light warriors besides seer.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

pichupal posted:

Who was it in 9? Drawing a blank here.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

It's Garnet's birth name.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Well, other then Cid that is. :v:

Solice Kirsk posted:

Who was it in 9? Drawing a blank here.

Garnet.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What about Biggs/Wedge?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

What about Biggs/Wedge?

You mean Vicks :colbert:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

voltcatfish posted:

This Terra is a Zack lookalike who might have the worst voice-acting in the entire series (funnily enough he's voiced by Eddie McDowd from that one Nick sitcom where the kid gets turned into a dog) and spends the entire game being duped by every single villain over and over in the most inane ways.

I know that Kingdom Hearts is way outside my age demographic but that's no reason for everything to be so dull and monotone.

e: wait, I forgot about KH2's Aerith. Ok, second-worst voice acting in the series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

This Terra is a Zack lookalike who might have the worst voice-acting in the entire series (funnily enough he's voiced by Eddie McDowd from that one Nick sitcom where the kid gets turned into a dog) and spends the entire game being duped by every single villain over and over in the most inane ways.

I know that Kingdom Hearts is way outside my age demographic but that's no reason for everything to be so dull and monotone.

e: wait, I forgot about KH2's Aerith. Ok, second-worst voice acting in the series.

That one isn't really on S-E, his Japanese voice acting is legitimately better. Terra and Aqua were both voiced by people Disney wanted to promote at the time and neither is a good voice actor. That happened with Roxas too but Roxas' actor was at least a slightly more competent one.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Okay so for FFX, the stat spheres you get to slot into empty slots in the sphere grid, should I just dump these down with abandon now for the good characters or should I hold on to them for something or other?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Insurrectionist posted:

Okay so for FFX, the stat spheres you get to slot into empty slots in the sphere grid, should I just dump these down with abandon now for the good characters or should I hold on to them for something or other?

Just do whatever. Anything worth seeing in the game doesn't need minmaxing.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Tonfa posted:

Just do whatever. Anything worth seeing in the game doesn't need minmaxing.

This is the best advice anyone'll give you but here's something concrete so you actually feel empowered to use the drat things, assuming you're using the Standard Grid: Wakka's your best physical attacker when it comes to physical damage. He's ranged, he's accurate and you can give him a Piercing ball to hit Armored enemies and on top of everything, he has the best physical damage Overdrive in the game in Attack Reels so since he can hit everything, you've got extra incentive to make him hit harder. Yuna's MAG stat is also stupidly high so if you find some way to teach her some Black magic, do so, you'll get a ton of mileage out of that.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Wakka's the best physical attacker (and his grid has the best physical stat spread) but it's also the most boring in terms of abilities. Tidus gets Quick Hit, Auron has the Breaks and Threaten... Wakka has Drain, Osmose, Busters and Triple Foul, the first two of which are invalidated by Lancet and the third by the appropriate weapon. So that leaves the snoozefest that is Triple Foul.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

ApplesandOranges posted:

invalidated by Lancet
People actually use Kimahri without the expert grid? :psyduck:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

For all the flak that Kimahri gets, if you ignore Overdrives he's actually a pretty solid character:

-He starts with more MP than the other guys and can refill it with Lancet. This lets him easily use the expensive abilities like Hastega/Busters.
-Since his weapons all have Piercing, all he needs is Strength and Agility to take down all non-Flans. This is easily accomplished by sending him down Tidus or Wakka's grids.
-He gets access to Rikku's grid much earlier than she does, making him either a considerably more durable Thief or the ability to speed through the rest of Yuna's grid after Spherimorph.
-The Red Armlet is a very good piece of armour.

The one mistake is sending him down Lulu's grid - he learns offensive spells much slower and Lulu doesn't have MP problems anyway. Not to mention Yuna's grid is better for Magic for his Overdrives.

His Overdrives are kinda crappy (the only worthwhile ones are Stone Breath/Bad Breath/Mighty Guard), so he'll never be endgame material, but for actual gameplay he's not half bad.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

ApplesandOranges posted:

For all the flak that Kimahri gets, if you ignore Overdrives he's actually a pretty solid character:

-He starts with more MP than the other guys and can refill it with Lancet. This lets him easily use the expensive abilities like Hastega/Busters.
-Since his weapons all have Piercing, all he needs is Strength and Agility to take down all non-Flans. This is easily accomplished by sending him down Tidus or Wakka's grids.
-He gets access to Rikku's grid much earlier than she does, making him either a considerably more durable Thief or the ability to speed through the rest of Yuna's grid after Spherimorph.
-The Red Armlet is a very good piece of armour.

The one mistake is sending him down Lulu's grid - he learns offensive spells much slower and Lulu doesn't have MP problems anyway. Not to mention Yuna's grid is better for Magic for his Overdrives.

His Overdrives are kinda crappy (the only worthwhile ones are Stone Breath/Bad Breath/Mighty Guard), so he'll never be endgame material, but for actual gameplay he's not half bad.

This, and he's the most easily broken due to his starting position. He's a character who appears useless until you learn how to take advantage of everything the game can give you, at which point he becomes the most powerful and versatile character you have for most of the game.

He's invalidated once you get into endgame power grinding because his overdrive sucks, but for the span between Mi'ihen Highroad and Yunalesca he's crazy.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

I just got through Terra's campaign in Birth by sleep and I don't think I can handle any more of the game or Kingdom Hearts in general.

I loved this series when I was a kid but now it just drives me crazy how lifeless everything seems. Barren environments, rarely more than two NPC's allowed to exist at a time, some of the worst voice direction in big-name games today - the only people who can put in decent performances are old hands like Mark Hamill or Leonard Nimoy (dead). Even the gameplay's kind of bad, because at some point SE decided it was best if every boss just trapped you in long, unbreakable combo strings that trap you if you get tapped once.

It doesn't help that BbS recommends you start with Terra, the dumbest motherfucker who ever lived.

Kingdom Hearts 2 Critical is legit one of the best action RPGs out there, so don't give up on the series completely.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I missed story chat a few pages ago and nobody cares and nostalgia etc. but I like the broad strokes of FF7. Ancient meteor brings The Thing, the fall of Sephiroth, the misremembered past (which obviously had some clunky execution), the reappearance of Sephiroth as a demonic wizard, the plot to wound the world and absorb the white blood cells that accumulate there. The secret flashback tapes of Aeris in the snow place. Was basically riveted as a 5th grader. Wasn't grabbed by 8-9 as much and kind of checked out after 10.

I also liked Wild Arms and Vagrant Story... ahh, the halcyon days.

e: clearly 7 has some silly details to pick at along the way though.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

I started with Aqua and moved on to Ventus and I regret nothing. I'm playing on Proud and I haven't really had any negative boss experiences, but I also legitimately enjoy the combat in BbS. the writing/acting in Kingdom Hearts has never been fantastic, especially for the non-Disney characters, so that part hasn't really bothered me so far.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Kingdom Hearts 2 Critical is legit one of the best action RPGs out there, so don't give up on the series completely.

I'd have to emulate the Final Mixes since I don't have a PS3 and SE refuses to release the loving things on platforms I actually own.

I should probably just put them aside, though. I'm tired of the grind and the lack of combat feedback and the endless cutscenes that consist of a slow pan of a single dead-eyed character walking through a barren environment and waiting several seconds to say something stupid. A lot of these games were made during SE's low ebb as a company, and it kind of shows. Nomura's attention-deficit game design, where every combat/leveling system gets increasingly esoteric mechanics with little care paid to anything else, really shows in retrospect.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I decided to play FFX with the standard sphere grid and original soundtrack but how are the arranged soundtrack and the expert sphere grid?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Expert Sphere Grid is cool because you don't need to wait to the endgame to send characters down weird paths.
The remixed soundtrack is kinda pretty bad.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I did expert sphere, japanese, and arranged to get some feel of a new playthrough.

But then I switched back to the original OST because holy gently caress the arranged is bad.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Augus posted:

Expert Sphere Grid is cool because you don't need to wait to the endgame to send characters down weird paths.
The remixed soundtrack is kinda pretty bad.

I figured the newer soundtrack would be bad, thanks for confirming that. I may play another file with expert sphere grid. Do all the normal things still hold true? (Yuna starts off with highest magic, etc)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Electromax posted:

I missed story chat a few pages ago and nobody cares and nostalgia etc. but I like the broad strokes of FF7. Ancient meteor brings The Thing, the fall of Sephiroth, the misremembered past (which obviously had some clunky execution), the reappearance of Sephiroth as a demonic wizard, the plot to wound the world and absorb the white blood cells that accumulate there. The secret flashback tapes of Aeris in the snow place. Was basically riveted as a 5th grader. Wasn't grabbed by 8-9 as much and kind of checked out after 10.

I also liked Wild Arms and Vagrant Story... ahh, the halcyon days.

e: clearly 7 has some silly details to pick at along the way though.

I don't think there is a single story in existence without some silly parts to poke fun at. Nothing is perfect. Having said silly parts doesn't change the fact FFVII has one of the most intriguing plots in the series, if not the absolute most interesting.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

use all the fancy warp and jump and friend spheres to get yuna all the high level spells and doublecast and more magic and then just smash poo poo until you get the postgame summons and then doubly smash poo poo. ffx is fun

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just keep in mind that doublecast only works with black magic, so you can't use it with Holy. I learned that the hard way today, and it took me twice as many turns to trounce Yunalesca.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Just keep in mind that doublecast only works with black magic, so you can't use it with Holy. I learned that the hard way today, and it took me twice as many turns to trounce Yunalesca.

If you have Holy by the time you got to Yunalesca you should be able to beat her easily though

Also I liked the remixed FFX soundtrack overall

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I just realized that I've never played FFX with the standard sphere grid, it was expert all the way even 14 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tae posted:

I did expert sphere, japanese, and arranged to get some feel of a new playthrough.

But then I switched back to the original OST because holy gently caress the arranged is bad.

I prefer the newer arrangements for certain tracks, like the main battle theme, but other ones feel totally wrong.