Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
"Thirty hour main story that has barely 4 hours of plot" is honestly super bottom rung, even as far as FF stories goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

CeallaSo posted:

Yeah, though it doesn't happen until the very end: [spoiler]You chase Lanselot Tartaros and his goons up the ruins of the Hanging Gardens and confront them as they open a portal to Hell, whereupon you jump in and fight the demonic form of the old King Dorgalua to prevent him from returning through the portal and transforming the continent into hell on earth.[/spoilers]

Suddenly jumping to overblown fantasy nonsense from an intricate plot of politics and human struggle is kind of Matsuno's thing. The only thing that separates the games he's worked on is exactly how far into the story it happens.

This is a common fantasy trope though isn't it? LIke game of thrones is almost certainly about to go from 6 years of politics to full on "Dragons fighting zombies" territory pretty soon

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Elderbean posted:

I'm really enjoying V so far, it's charming as gently caress.

I'm glad, FFV is badass.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hamsterlady posted:

I tried to start FF8 half a dozen times since it was brand new, and hated it every time until I played it earlier this year to completion and actually liked it a whole lot. I dunno what changed, I just thought it was violently boring and horrible every time I tried to play it before 2016.

I want to like FFVIII really badly. Last time I played through, I really loved it all the way up until the end of disc 2 (the orphanage part, even though I knew it was coming), and then got bored and dropped it by the end of disc 3. I'm pretty sure I played it all the way through when it first came out just out of boredom, but I feel like I owe it at least one more honest try.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Rip your discs and play it in epsxe with frameskip, and then laugh as Squall and Rinoa drift listlessly and in complete silence in the Ragnarok scene since it's timed to cues in Eyes on Me, but frameskip doesn't affect that one specific track because it's a different type of sound data :v:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Dude don't even compare Game of Thrones to Final Fantasy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FF12 is bad and Vayne did nothing wrong :colbert:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I think Final Fantasy XII is a video game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Harrow posted:

I want to like FFVIII really badly. Last time I played through, I really loved it all the way up until the end of disc 2 (the orphanage part, even though I knew it was coming), and then got bored and dropped it by the end of disc 3. I'm pretty sure I played it all the way through when it first came out just out of boredom, but I feel like I owe it at least one more honest try.

In all honesty, the end of disc 2 is FFVIII's peak. Disc 3 has a few moments but they're pretty much all Laguna stuff, everything else is ehh.

It's got deep nostalgia hooks in me so I'll defend it, but I can't deny the quality of its storytelling drops a bit, and character development other than Squall nosedives after Disc 2. Even Rinoa barely gets any development after that.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

This is a common fantasy trope though isn't it? LIke game of thrones is almost certainly about to go from 6 years of politics to full on "Dragons fighting zombies" territory pretty soon

The difference is that Game of Thrones has been building up to that since the beginning. Danaerys gets the dragon eggs in episode 2; we first see the White Walkers' zombies during the opening shot of the show (and the prologue of the books). Concepts are introduced and then steadily built upon, leading up to the final magical fantasy battle between the living and the dead. Plus, the other stories don't suddenly stop once the dragons and white walkers become a major focus; things are still happening in King's Landing, after all.

Contrast FFT, where a Lucavi appears at the end of Chapter 2, just about halfway through the game, and they tear the plot away from everything else going on. Or the TO:LUCT example I gave where the magical nonsense doesn't show up until the very last fight. It is at its least egregious in XII, but it's definitely still there.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A Song of Ice and Fire is a perfect comparison to FF because it starts off decent but by the time it had truly saturated into public awareness globally, the creator could only push out steaming turds

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Yuna found Tidus squatting in the grass, groaning. Every blitzball was more deflated than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up he was blitzing brown blitzballs. The more he blitzed, the more he exploded, but the more he exploded, the hornier he grew, and his desire to blitz sent him crawling to Sin to blow up more blitzballs.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I agree that XIII is super linear, but it's not especially more linear than X. Being able to backtrack through X's corridors for especially interesting reason doesn't make that game massively less linear. They both suck for that.

The pacing for FFX is super on point though, which is what I think makes the linearity work. It's intentional that you visit a whole bunch of different locations within the first five hours of the game, then the zones gradually become larger and more diverse. There are also a bunch of strategically placed twists that X can get away with because it's from Tidus' know-nothing perspective. It doesn't quite work in FFXIII where Lightning already knows absolutely everything + is proven correct all the time.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

A Song of Ice and Fire is a perfect comparison to FF because it starts off decent but by the time it had truly saturated into public awareness globally, the creator could only push out steaming turds
Are you trying to call FF2 decent?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Mega64 posted:

Yuna found Tidus squatting in the grass, groaning. Every blitzball was more deflated than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up he was blitzing brown blitzballs. The more he blitzed, the more he exploded, but the more he exploded, the hornier he grew, and his desire to blitz sent him crawling to Sin to blow up more blitzballs.

:perfect:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CeallaSo posted:

The difference is that Game of Thrones has been building up to that since the beginning. Danaerys gets the dragon eggs in episode 2; we first see the White Walkers' zombies during the opening shot of the show (and the prologue of the books). Concepts are introduced and then steadily built upon, leading up to the final magical fantasy battle between the living and the dead. Plus, the other stories don't suddenly stop once the dragons and white walkers become a major focus; things are still happening in King's Landing, after all.

Contrast FFT, where a Lucavi appears at the end of Chapter 2, just about halfway through the game, and they tear the plot away from everything else going on. Or the TO:LUCT example I gave where the magical nonsense doesn't show up until the very last fight. It is at its least egregious in XII, but it's definitely still there.

I think what makes it feel arbitrary in XII to me is that there's plenty of crazy magical nonsense throughout the game (in the form of the Espers and the Great Crystal and all of that), but the justification they give for the final boss to turn into a monster is just a total rear end-pull. It doesn't help that he starts out his transformation by hulking out and tearing off his shirt, going from the dignified, composed Emperor to RIP AND TEAR mode.

Weirdly enough it works out in a narrative sense decently, though, because part of it is Venat deciding that he respects Vayne so much that he's unwilling to let Vayne face death alone. I just wish that hadn't involved Vayne turning into a giant mecha-dragon.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

zedprime posted:

Are you trying to call FF2 decent?

It's about as good as Clash of Kings

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Hamsterlady posted:

My favorite part of FF8 was killing Ultima Weapon in a single turn and then getting two game overs to the final boss because she blew away the magic I had junctioned to my HP and then did a full party attack that did more than my new max HP value.
Mine was having encounters every step in the Deep Sea lab because the glowing mechanic was glitched.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

It's about as good as Clash of Kings

Are you prepared... for fisticuffs?

The parallel could be made if FF started at IV.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

The nes games are loving classics you heathen

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

Mine was having encounters every step in the Deep Sea lab because the glowing mechanic was glitched.

Did you have Zell in your party? Because Zell causes that for never explained or noted reasons.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Barudak posted:

Did you have Zell in your party? Because Zell causes that for never explained or noted reasons.

Dude's too hyper. Can't stop moving so he triggers the thing every time.

(This is my bullshit explanation I just made up right now)

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

I just bought something on amazon and it gave me this:

"The Amazon Video Games Team thanks you for your purchase. As part of the "Final Fantasy XIV Summer DLC Promo," when you spend $19.99 in the Video Games category on Amazon, you are entitled to a promotional code that will grant you six exclusive in-game items for Final Fantazy XIV!

To redeem your code, visit https://www.ffxivredeem.com/amazon and enter your promotional code to receive your exclusive FINAL FANTASY XIV item code!

Once you’ve redeemed your code, you’ll be shown six in-game item codes that you can use on the Mog Station on the Square Enix account of your choice."

I don't play FF, so here's the code for anyone interested.

REU1-U3DE-4D3E-D6RN

Good deed for the day: done.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Barudak posted:

Of course. Why he is such a wild card for several things in this game, I'll never know.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

GenoCanSing posted:

I just bought something on amazon and it gave me this:

"The Amazon Video Games Team thanks you for your purchase. As part of the "Final Fantasy XIV Summer DLC Promo," when you spend $19.99 in the Video Games category on Amazon, you are entitled to a promotional code that will grant you six exclusive in-game items for Final Fantazy XIV!

To redeem your code, visit https://www.ffxivredeem.com/amazon and enter your promotional code to receive your exclusive FINAL FANTASY XIV item code!

Once you’ve redeemed your code, you’ll be shown six in-game item codes that you can use on the Mog Station on the Square Enix account of your choice."

I don't play FF, so here's the code for anyone interested.

REU1-U3DE-4D3E-D6RN

Good deed for the day: done.

Taken, thanks!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

Of course. Why he is such a wild card for several things in this game, I'll never know.

How Deep Sea Research Center works is as follows: :words:

You start with 20 steam. You spend this (either 4, 2, or 1 per floor with your options limited by how much you spent on the immediate previous floor) to progress down through the first half, automatically spending 4 steam the first time (so really you actually start with 16 once you get to make choices). And you need at least 10 left over to summon Ultima Weapon (UW) at the end.

There's a final barrier door between the first and second halves. If you want to open it with steam, it costs 4 steam to do so, and the second half will not have fixed encounters. If you get to the final barrier door with 10-13 steam and Zell in your party (read: opening it with steam would mean you couldn't summon UW afterward), you can choose to have Zell open the door for you instead. This costs zero steam but activates fixed encounters in the second half, which persist until UW is killed or you reset the place.

The fixed encounters are specific enemies (same battle for each screen) on specific floor tiles (3 per screen, all of them in your direct path except one in front of the save point on the first screen), which ignore Enc-None and will not respawn if you walk back and forth over them, but which will respawn if you leave the screen and return.

If you get to the final barrier door with 14 steam (regardless of Zell's presence) then you just open it with steam. The only way to do this is to spend 2 (not 1) the first time you're prompted, so on the next floor you get access to a room which costs 4 steam to open but gives you 7 steam inside for a net gain of 3. After that you spend 1 every time. (There's more details to which specific rooms you get into on which floors depending on how much steam you spent on the previous floor to get in there, but it's largely irrelevant.)

So long as UW is alive, you can go back to the very first terminal up top and reset the place, letting you choose a different route of steam-spending and Zell-using. This effectively lets you turn the fixed encounters on and off as much as you like. Once UW is dead, the fixed encounters are permanently off and the place can't be reset any more.

As a min/max metagaming thing that FF8 is totally not a hard enough game to need, it's worth noting that everything from UW itself (Eden GF, Eden card, Three Stars, Ultima Stones, Ultima spells) can all be obtained by other means. However, the fixed encounters include a number of enemies that range from uncommon to rare to meet randomly, some of which are worth farming for items or devouring for stats. Tri-Faces and Behemoths are the most notable. So the metagaming option here is actually to deliberately leave UW alive forever and deliberately activate the fixed encounters.

If like most people you give zero shits about metagaming FF8, then just take the 2, net+3, 1, 1, 1 route and open the final door with steam to avoid the hassle of fixed encounters.

Vil fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 27, 2016

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Dammit ZenMaster, you've taken every loving promo code for FFXIV that's been posted in this thread. The game's not hard enough for you to be doing this.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Indecisive posted:

The nes games are loving classics you heathen

So is a '91 Ford Mustang. That doesn't make it any less an ugly piece of poo poo.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kefka was shown in Dissidia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mcJKP5VRLU

Fun stuff

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Can someone link me to a list of Final Fantasy games in chronological order of release in North America?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grevlek posted:

Can someone link me to a list of Final Fantasy games in chronological order of release in North America?

FF1: July 20th 1990
FF4: November 23 1991
FF6: October 11 1994
FF7: September 7 1997
FF8: September 9 1999
FF5: October 5 1999 (PS1 ver)
FF9: November 13th 2000
FF10: December 17 2001
FF2: April 8 2003 (PS1)
FF11: October 28 2003
FF12: October 30 2006
FF3: November 14 2006 (3DS)
FF13: March 9 2010
FF14: September 10 2010 (original release)
FF15: September 30 2016

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Scalding Coffee posted:

What other things does he affect? I don't remember any because I haven't played 8 in years.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Gologle posted:

Dammit ZenMaster, you've taken every loving promo code for FFXIV that's been posted in this thread. The game's not hard enough for you to be doing this.

I have to get all the dolly dress up items, Gologle. How can I face myself spending days in an MMO if I can't wear all the dresses and fiddle with dozens of color palettes.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

What's the FF equivalent of game of thrones coming out so slowly the show will finish before the 6th book even comes out

ImpAtom posted:

FF1: July 20th 1990
FF4: November 23 1991
FF6: October 11 1994
FF7: September 7 1997
FF8: September 9 1999
FF5: October 5 1999 (PS1 ver)
FF9: November 13th 2000
FF10: December 17 2001
FF2: April 8 2003 (PS1)
FF11: October 28 2003
FF12: October 30 2006
FF3: November 14 2006 (3DS)
FF13: March 9 2010
FF14: September 10 2010 (original release)
FF15: September 30 2016

Jesus less than a year for FF8 9 10 5

No wonder I liked the series so much at the time

(Just like the books)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

What's the FF equivalent of game of thrones coming out so slowly the show will finish before the 6th book even comes out

Jesus less than a year for FF8 9 10 5

No wonder I liked the series so much at the time
That's not even a question, FF15 has been in development so long it was originally a FF13 FNC game.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
I'm a clown who forgot to get the destruction sphere from the Besaid Cloister in the HD remake of FFX. I'm far enough now that I don't want to start the game over again, how much have I screwed myself over by having Dark Valefor be there when I can eventually return? I only ever played the original version that never had Dark aeons, does it basically mean that I won't be able to unlock Anima or the Magus Sisters until ultra-late game?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Go get Yojimbo.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

MrAristocrates posted:

Go get Yojimbo.

That was my guess. Glad to know I can still bribe a guy and instakill my way out of my own stupidity.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

That was my guess. Glad to know I can still bribe a guy and instakill my way out of my own stupidity.
That's a really zen way of looking at the FF10 post game in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Solice Kirsk posted:

So is a '91 Ford Mustang. That doesn't make it any less an ugly piece of poo poo.

They're better than FFXII. Yes I went there.