Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

zedprime posted:

That's not even a question, FF15 has been in development so long it was originally a FF13 FNC game.

Yeah, Versus XIII is The Winds of Winter.

FFXII is A Feast For Crows - it's not concerned with the destination, it's all about the journey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And it's also poo poo

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hey, this reminded me that a high quality rip of Dancing Mad just released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bktr27ACH4I

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Sakurazuka posted:

And it's also poo poo

well, I disagree, but it's a rare case of another game forcing it down my throat to the point where I don't really care to play it anymore.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Armitage posted:

well, I disagree, but it's a rare case of another game forcing it down my throat to the point where I don't really care to play it anymore.

Nope, I lost the analogy somewhere. What?

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Nope, I lost the analogy somewhere. What?

Day 1 Final Fantasy record keeper player, the amount of 3* FFXII items I pull that were quickly outclassed from that game is staggering, and that's even taking into account that game's got the most items in the 3* pool. I just got sick of seeing FFXII stuff for awhile, that's all.

I probably ought to stop playing it at some point. It really is solid for a F2P phone game but at some point you are gonna have to pay to keep up with some of the other players who can beat the big boss monsters.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A terrible dilemma: I really want to play FFXII IZJS right now, but if I do, it'll be too soon to play it again when the PS4 HD version comes out. :ohdear:

...probably. Assuming it's not coming in like September 2017 or something.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Armitage posted:

Day 1 Final Fantasy record keeper player, the amount of 3* FFXII items I pull that were quickly outclassed from that game is staggering, and that's even taking into account that game's got the most items in the 3* pool. I just got sick of seeing FFXII stuff for awhile, that's all.

I probably ought to stop playing it at some point. It really is solid for a F2P phone game but at some point you are gonna have to pay to keep up with some of the other players who can beat the big boss monsters.

Oh, completely forgot about RK, played it for a long while myself. It's mobile Final Fantasy done right.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Oh, completely forgot about RK, played it for a long while myself. It's mobile Final Fantasy done right.

I'm playing it again and it's a great game but drat that dude is right.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

jeez louise, I wasn't expecting LIGHTNING RETURNS (WITH NO FRIENDS) to be this hard :stare:

feels a bit clunky, but I'll be damned if it isn't fun as hell

edit: you pretty much have to hope you get one of the Required SBs that cast Wall, Medica, or some type of huge buff to past the later content in RK. it's ridiculous how Wall is more or less mandatory at this point

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Lovely Senorita posted:

edit: you pretty much have to hope you get one of the Required SBs that cast Wall, Medica, or some type of huge buff to past the later content in RK. it's ridiculous how Wall is more or less mandatory at this point

Eh, that seems to be mostly changing, with the switch in focus to using game-specific parties to beat the hardest bosses.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i've been having more fun with brave exvius than RK i think. i like that the focus is more on characters and not having to grind ability uses and weapons/armor is super nice.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Interesting bit of FFXII HD Remaster news that I'm not sure has come up here yet: http://www.rpgfan.com/previews/Final_Fantasy_XII_The_Zodiac_Age/index.html

quote:

When I asked if this version will allow the player to switch classes mid-game, Kato-san said that FFXII director Hiroyuki Ito is currently reviewing game balance, and this would be among his considerations.
I'm actually not sure I want that or not--I guess it depends on how it would be implemented. It still wouldn't be a true Final Fantasy V job system, but it'd be a step in that direction. Part of the fun of IZJS is coming up with fun party compositions and I think part of the fun of that--pick these jobs at the start and stick with them--would be lost with job-switching; on the other hand, because most jobs are locked to one weapon type, you'll end up with a pile of weapons you'll never get to use, and switching just to try out new things is never bad.

Though the real bit of news here is the idea that they actually might change gameplay features and balance for an HD remake, beyond just adding super-turbo mode and the boosters they added to the PC versions of the PS1 games. I wouldn't have expected that. I really thought they were just going to upscale things, switch in an HD UI, and call it a day.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Harrow posted:

Interesting bit of FFXII HD Remaster news that I'm not sure has come up here yet: http://www.rpgfan.com/previews/Final_Fantasy_XII_The_Zodiac_Age/index.html

I'm actually not sure I want that or not--I guess it depends on how it would be implemented. It still wouldn't be a true Final Fantasy V job system, but it'd be a step in that direction. Part of the fun of IZJS is coming up with fun party compositions and I think part of the fun of that--pick these jobs at the start and stick with them--would be lost with job-switching; on the other hand, because most jobs are locked to one weapon type, you'll end up with a pile of weapons you'll never get to use, and switching just to try out new things is never bad.

Though the real bit of news here is the idea that they actually might change gameplay features and balance for an HD remake, beyond just adding super-turbo mode and the boosters they added to the PC versions of the PS1 games. I wouldn't have expected that. I really thought they were just going to upscale things, switch in an HD UI, and call it a day.

Still, considering there are 6 characters and 12 jobs, being able to give each character 2 would be nice for keeping your options open and would still require the same preplanning present in the original IZJS. Considering how much extra time you would likely need to invest to keep them up to par, I doubt you'd have the time for more than one or two extra jobs anyway.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, especially if they kept LP separate per job, I think the amount of grinding investment it would take to raise more than one would be a real pain in the rear end until the late-game when you can kind of just rake in LP like it's nothing. If they do let you switch jobs, I hope there's a catch-up mechanic, or if everyone has a secondary job then their "inactive" job gets half LP or something.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
I think the realistic option is to bump up LP gains just a bit, and keep job gains completely separate. The end result will be a bit of extra time spent grinding LP if you want to keep a few jobs up to par, and considerably less grinding if you're just blasting through the game with one job per character. It's a win for both camps.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

CeallaSo posted:

I think the realistic option is to bump up LP gains just a bit, and keep job gains completely separate. The end result will be a bit of extra time spent grinding LP if you want to keep a few jobs up to par, and considerably less grinding if you're just blasting through the game with one job per character. It's a win for both camps.

Yeah, in the original release it was pretty quick to max out your board with 2x LP accessories. I like this idea!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Harrow posted:

Yeah, especially if they kept LP separate per job, I think the amount of grinding investment it would take to raise more than one would be a real pain in the rear end until the late-game when you can kind of just rake in LP like it's nothing. If they do let you switch jobs, I hope there's a catch-up mechanic, or if everyone has a secondary job then their "inactive" job gets half LP or something.

It's super easy to get some of the double LP accessories really early in the game and you get LP even if you're not in combat so there's no real reason to keep LP separate other than to force people to grind maybe 20% more.

EDIT: Wow you get one from a Rank 2 hunt in the Ozmone Plain and another from the Patient in the Desert sidequest chain. Those are kind of super easy to snap up.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 29, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, keeping LP separate would be a pain in the rear end, I agree.

I'm mostly kinda floored that they're actually making gameplay/balance changes for what I thought would be a straight-up HD port like X/X-2 were (they were, right?). I know one thing people noticed from the E3 2016 demo was that the first rank Black Magicks like Fire are single-target now, when they were AoE in IZJS (and single-target in vanilla). No clue if that's going to make it to release or what other changes they might do.

My secret hope is that they buff Machinist's "playability" to some degree. It kind of sucks right now because guns shoot so slowly. Even if they just lowered the damage per shot but increased the attack speed I think it'd be a better class. Last time I played I made Balthier a Machinist and there were plenty of battles where he never even got to shoot because everyone else killed each target faster than he could charge his attack.

That RPGFan interview confirms they won't change Balthier's extra-long gun-firing animation because apparently it's on purpose that he's the worst with guns for animation reasons :smith:

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
No IZJS job is genuinely bad, but it is possible to entirely miss access to certain abilities or spells without foreknowledge. Being able to swap between jobs could be interesting but the swap would have to fully deactivate the previous job, with no abilities/stats transferring over. My last FF12 playthrough I used an editor to swap everyone between two (usually complementary) jobs every so often, and the effect of having 2 jobs worth of combined licenses completely stomped any difficulty curve the game had.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For the most part, the only way to screw yourself over in IZJS is to either pick a bunch of duplicate jobs, or pick only jobs with like no access to white magick. Otherwise, you'll get through with minimal effort, though Trial Mode is quite a bit more demanding than the main game. Even Yiazmat can be taken down with drat near any job composition, depending on how long you're willing to let that take.

Time Mage and Machinist could use help, though--they're the only two jobs pretty much everyone seems to agree are lackluster. Machinist is outdone by Archer in all ways (except that you can get really strong guns early and the Machinist leap-frogs Archer in the mid-game as a result), and Time Mage is fairly easily replaced by farming Hastega Motes for an hour. (Having a Red Mage helps, too, because that job gets Disable and Immobilize, the other two reasons to have a Time Mage.) So I hope those get some buffs.

And yeah, swapping jobs would have to be a complete thing, unless they're entirely rebalancing the game around everyone having a main job and sub-job at all times (which would be cool, but I don't expect that even a little bit).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's super easy to get some of the double LP accessories really early in the game and you get LP even if you're not in combat so there's no real reason to keep LP separate other than to force people to grind maybe 20% more.

EDIT: Wow you get one from a Rank 2 hunt in the Ozmone Plain and another from the Patient in the Desert sidequest chain. Those are kind of super easy to snap up.

Patient in the desert you have to do perfectly, up to and including not selling a hunt reward you have no reason to know will be important later. Sure, its still piss easy to get when you know what is up, but you gotta know that quests tricks.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

And IZJS changes a lot of quest rewards, shop items, etc. I think it's harder to get the LP-boosting accessories in that version.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

And IZJS changes a lot of quest rewards, shop items, etc. I think it's harder to get the LP-boosting accessories in that version.

Nah, the LP boost items are still fairly easy to get your hands on, and honestly, you really only need one to destroy the games difficulty curve.

Nihapaloa though, that they made way, way way too late game to enjoy. You have like, three hunts left by that point.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Barudak posted:

Nah, the LP boost items are still fairly easy to get your hands on, and honestly, you really only need one to destroy the games difficulty curve.

Nihapaloa though, that they made way, way way too late game to enjoy. You have like, three hunts left by that point.

I think you can still get it through the Bazaar by, like, the first time you get to Mr. Bur Omisace. All the hardest hunts are still left at that point.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Don't think there is a deciated megathread for the Mana series, but I bought Adventure of Mana on the Vita, and man I am loving it. The Hud is a little busy due to having the option to use the touch screen still, but it a really great remake of Final Fantasy Adventure. Which is good, because I really hated Sword of Mana, the OTHER remake of that game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Barudak posted:

Patient in the desert you have to do perfectly, up to and including not selling a hunt reward you have no reason to know will be important later. Sure, its still piss easy to get when you know what is up, but you gotta know that quests tricks.

So maybe I'm just beaten by too many RPGs at this point but I never had an issue with that because I never sell any unique loot or my last of any specific item.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Yeah but it's categorised as Bazaar loot, the vast majority of which you're explicitly supposed to sell and has no other purpose.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Rirse posted:

Don't think there is a deciated megathread for the Mana series, but I bought Adventure of Mana on the Vita, and man I am loving it. The Hud is a little busy due to having the option to use the touch screen still, but it a really great remake of Final Fantasy Adventure. Which is good, because I really hated Sword of Mana, the OTHER remake of that game.

Mind going further into how it is? Doubt I'll get to play it myself, and as someone else who also wasn't a fan of Sword I'd love to hear how a second remake of FFA does things better.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Whenever I remember XII, my mind always drifts to imagining Penelo + Vaan being relegated to lugging around a big rear end chunk of Sandalwood so the cool ones can go wherever they want in Archades.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

Yeah but it's categorised as Bazaar loot, the vast majority of which you're explicitly supposed to sell and has no other purpose.

Especially bad if you do understand the bazaar loo system requires you to sell new things to it to unlock gear so you just assume it'll give you something good down the road when in fact it does nothing.

Not selling the last of anything out of paranoia is bad game design and I've been hit by it but when games introduced "this is vendor trash" section to inventories I fell for it all over again as several games do this.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mega64 posted:

Mind going further into how it is? Doubt I'll get to play it myself, and as someone else who also wasn't a fan of Sword I'd love to hear how a second remake of FFA does things better.

Adventure of Mana for the most part a faithful remake of the original GB game with 3D graphics with a new script, but added some quality of life features so it not just a better looking gameboy game. It has the ring system from Secret of Mana for equipping, along with three shortcut buttons to set weapons on, which is useful when you need to cross a gap with the whip and then want to go back to the sword.

Sword of Mana changed things too much, throwing out all the Final Fantasy referneces like the Chocobo, while trying to make the story seem deeper. But trying to change a simple Gameboy plot game made it fall on it's face. There is just so much wrong with the changes to the plot, as it made everything melodramatic, but gets to the point of parody after a while. You give a big speech to avenge your friends to the Dark Lord in the game, but when you fight Julius, you give a big speech to avenge those people, including the Dark Lord and other villain you killed.

Also I didn't really like the art style Sword of Mana had. I never really care for the look from SD3 and on which Sword of Mana now used. Which compared to Adventure of Mana and Secret of Mana more simple style.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Recently saw the FFXV trailer after not playing a Final Fantasy game since XII, and I was just wondering how did this happen?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Magic

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

MY ABACUS! posted:

Recently saw the FFXV trailer after not playing a Final Fantasy game since XII, and I was just wondering how did this happen?

We have sinned

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MY ABACUS! posted:

It usually requires a lot of programmers and artists. They work together for a while and then they release the video game for you to buy and play and, hopefully, enjoy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Y'know, thinking about it, it's not that hard to trace the combat system's evolution from XII, through XIII (especially Lightning Returns), into XV. There are some leaps in-between but there's a definite through-line there. It even looks like it's going back to XII's exact hunt system, right down to the monster wanted posters.

Unless we're talking aesthetic/setting, in which case I'd say you could look all the way back to FFVIII.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 29, 2016

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You know, it's not Vaan and Penelo's fault they're street rats and can never be as cool as bunny girl, suave pirate, war hero, and princess.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You can also look to some of Tabata's other games to see influences in combat - he seems to like heavy gravity and realistic movement, whereas someone like Nomura prefers more floaty combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

As I watch some of the E3 2016 gameplay presentation, I'm even more convinced that if FFVIII was made today, it'd look a lot like FFXV. It even has a system where you gain magic by drawing it from the environment (but now you can also customize your spells, which is neat).