Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Harrow posted:

As I watch some of the E3 2016 gameplay presentation, I'm even more convinced that if FFVIII was made today, it'd look a lot like FFXV. It even has a system where you gain magic by drawing it from the environment (but now you can also customize your spells, which is neat).

You could've just watched the FF7 remake footage and gotten the feeling from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tae posted:

You could've just watched the FF7 remake footage and gotten the feeling from that.

Yeah, true. I just jumped to 8 because of the setting similarities, but you're right, it's clear what their current vision for a modern Final Fantasy is.

Honestly, it's a logical evolution of ATB, so I'm not too surprised to see the games get more and more action-focused. The way Wait mode seems to work in 15 is kind of cool, too--if you have it on, it just takes over when you stop inputting actions, but you also only have a limited amount of time in Wait mode before you can't pause that fight anymore (though it seems really, really generous from the footage they showed).

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The feeling I like to call "disappointment"

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Terper posted:

You can also look to some of Tabata's other games to see influences in combat - he seems to like heavy gravity and realistic movement, whereas someone like Nomura prefers more floaty combat.

He likes bad combat systems. Type-0 HD is bad, The 3rd Birthday is bad.

I can't find it now but I saw some interview where a designer on FFXV said Tabata didn't want enemies to have tells when they attack, so they purposefully gave them attacks that are sudden and hard to avoid. That sounds awful, any decent action game gives you a chance to dodge otherwise it just feels unfair and frustrating. Is that really how it turned out in the demos?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

MY ABACUS! posted:

Recently saw the FFXV trailer after not playing a Final Fantasy game since XII, and I was just wondering how did this happen?

FFXIII was received so poorly they decided to make the opposite of that game.

Gologle posted:

You know, it's not Vaan and Penelo's fault they're street rats and can never be as cool as bunny girl, suave pirate, war hero, and princess.

Nope, you can blame S-E execs for thinking they were in any way necessary. gently caress. Four heroes, a leading man, it all worked perfectly.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I still think Vaan and Penelo's traits/storyline could've been condensed into one character - let's call her "Penelo" - and then the sixth character should've been a non-human male, like a Moogle or Bangaa.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

thorsilver posted:

I can't find it now but I saw some interview where a designer on FFXV said Tabata didn't want enemies to have tells when they attack, so they purposefully gave them attacks that are sudden and hard to avoid. That sounds awful, any decent action game gives you a chance to dodge otherwise it just feels unfair and frustrating. Is that really how it turned out in the demos?

No. The Magitek soldiers' most dangerous attack in particular is nearly impossible not to see coming, on account of how they prelude it by tearing off their own arms.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I still think Vaan and Penelo's traits/storyline could've been condensed into one character - let's call her "Penelo" - and then the sixth character should've been a non-human male, like a Moogle or Bangaa.

Now I'm even sadder than there was no playable moogle in FFXII :smith: You're right: merge Vaan and Penelo into just Penelo, then like throw Montblanc in or something so I can give him a greatsword and watch a tiny moogle cleave dragons in half.

thorsilver posted:

At least the Iron Golem you can fight in the Platinum Demo has tells so big they might as well be QTEs, so if that's true then Tabata clearly got overruled/convinced otherwise.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 29, 2016

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Harrow posted:

Now I'm even sadder than there was no playable moogle in FFXII :smith: You're right: merge Vaan and Penelo into just Penelo, then like throw Montblanc in or something so I can give him a greatsword and watch a tiny moogle cleave dragons in half.

I'm sad we didn't get an actual dragoon option, even in IZJS. You can find random Rabanastre patrols, including a Bangaa that will just an actual "Jump" attack where he leaps in the air and slams down on enemies. It's in the game, why can't we have it? There are so few "technicks" worth using.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The fact that FF12 has a cast of all humans and a super-human bunny girl is the most lazy and boring part of the game.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

honestly i'm not sure why the first conversation about the main characters in the design committee wasn't "how do we get one playable character from every race"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Counterpoint: nu mou are awful.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ImpAtom posted:

The fact that FF12 has a cast of all humans and a super-human bunny girl is the most lazy and boring part of the game.

Seriously. I wanted the bang'aa with the spinning blade on a stick to join my murder posse.

And a moogle so I could give him a gun. Just because a moogle with a gun sounds awesome like a recipe for comedy.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 29, 2016

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

nu mou rule and i want to see one wielding a greatsword

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Coughing Hobo posted:

Seriously. I wanted the bang'aa with the spinning blade on a stick to join my murder posse.

And a moogle so I could give him a gun. Just because a moogle with a gun sounds awesome like a recipe for comedy.

Yeah I remember the guns knocking penelo back, it would be funny to see that with a moogle

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Coughing Hobo posted:

nothing owned more in ffta than having a moogle gunner use the moogle knight skill, ultima charge

literally kill everything from ridiculous ranges, with a skill that was meant to be used on a melee class

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

nu mou rule and i want to see one wielding a greatsword

You;ll be waiting quite a while.

(because they're slow)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I've in good authority that they are exceptional Time Mages.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It is dumb that XII, a game with a super varied and diverse world, your entire team consists of humans and one tall human with long ears.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

there was lore in that vaan is super fuckin racist to justify that but they cut out

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

How are players supposed to not care about Vaan if he has a personality trait? Can't have that.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

honestly i'm not sure why the first conversation about the main characters in the design committee wasn't "how do we get one playable character from every race"

This is Final Fantasy, not Star Trek :v:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

i think you mean star wars

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It just seems like a shame to set a game in a world with so many interesting people and then not let you play as any of them.

Honestly, you don't even need all of them; getting a Viera, Moogle and Bangaa would have been plenty. That plus 3 humans would have been just fine.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Balthier should've been a moogle.

In fact I hope once 12 hits Steam someone mods Balthier to be a moogle. Don't even have to change anything else!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Linnaeus posted:

Yeah I remember the guns knocking penelo back, it would be funny to see that with a moogle

Penelo has no bad weapon animations. I never make her a mage in IZJS for two reasons: one, a high natural Magick stat is actually wasted on a mage in IZJS because your mystic armor/Magick Lore licenses will make up for a ton; but more importantly, because Penelo's weapon animations are all so drat good that not letting her physically attack is a shame.

Calaveron posted:

It is dumb that XII, a game with a super varied and diverse world, your entire team consists of humans and one tall human with long ears.

I mean, I can understand why it's majority hume. Dalmasca's royal family is hume, so Ashe needs to be. Basch's twin brother is a Judge, and Archadia is racist and only humes can rise to that position, so Basch has to be hume. Balthier has to be hume for the same reason Basch does, but even more directly.

Where the mistakes come in are Vaan and Penelo (in more ways than one). The only reason Vaan is hume is because marketing wanted a young male to serve as the "player" character for ~*~marketing reasons~*~. Penelo could've been a moogle or something, but then they wouldn't be able to make them a couple later. If Vaan and Penelo weren't in there for the reasons they are, those two slots should've been filled with a moogle and a bangaa probably. (Though they might've thought moogles are too "silly" for the takes-itself-quite-seriously plot, but moogles own and Mog had some great moments in FF6 so gently caress it).

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Harrow posted:

Penelo has no bad weapon animations. I never make her a mage in IZJS for two reasons: one, a high natural Magick stat is actually wasted on a mage in IZJS because your mystic armor/Magick Lore licenses will make up for a ton; but more importantly, because Penelo's weapon animations are all so drat good that not letting her physically attack is a shame.

I mean, I can understand why it's majority hume. Dalmasca's royal family is hume, so Ashe needs to be. Basch's twin brother is a Judge, and Archadia is racist and only humes can rise to that position, so Basch has to be hume. Balthier has to be hume for the same reason Basch does, but even more directly.

Where the mistakes come in are Vaan and Penelo (in more ways than one). The only reason Vaan is hume is because marketing wanted a young male to serve as the "player" character for ~*~marketing reasons~*~. Penelo could've been a moogle or something, but then they wouldn't be able to make them a couple later. If Vaan and Penelo weren't in there for the reasons they are, those two slots should've been filled with a moogle and a bangaa probably. (Though they might've thought moogles are too "silly" for the takes-itself-quite-seriously plot, but moogles own and Mog had some great moments in FF6 so gently caress it).

racist

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Finally the FFVII remake we've all really been waiting for has been announced.

http://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-vii-gets-an-official-monopoly-board-1782809679

I will assume this is an unlicensed joke until I hear otherwise.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Human/moogle romance

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Hm yes, a bunch of ecological terrorists are the perfect group to build a game of property ownership (and screwing everyone out of their cash) around.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Finally the FFVII remake we've all really been waiting for has been announced.

http://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-vii-gets-an-official-monopoly-board-1782809679

I will assume this is an unlicensed joke until I hear otherwise.

When I first saw this mentioned I thought they'd just given the remake a dumb subtitle

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
gently caress that poo poo, where's Settlers of Midgar

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Settlers of Ivalice, the FFTA version where you already get to place where all the locations are anyway

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Harrow posted:

This is pretty much what I was going to say. Bangaa, moogle and viera are so iconic of the post-FFT Ivalice games, and it would have been cool to see a bangaa/moogle duo working together early on (especially since a few places establish that the two races often end up working together, especially on airships). It also would have been nice to get a bangaa that wasn't "scary growling lizard person" and a moogle with some kind of personality beyond being adorable.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Indecisive posted:

there was lore in that vaan is super fuckin racist to justify that but they cut out

Then Vaan's got his fuckin priorities straight with that Viera tail. Non humes that aren't sexy bunny girls can just gently caress off the edge of my St. Ajora Cataclysmic sized theocracy ruled corruption riddled demon manipulated societal DICK.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CeallaSo posted:

This is pretty much what I was going to say. Bangaa, moogle and viera are so iconic of the post-FFT Ivalice games, and it would have been cool to see a bangaa/moogle duo working together early on (especially since a few places establish that the two races often end up working together, especially on airships). It also would have been nice to get a bangaa that wasn't "scary growling lizard person" and a moogle with some kind of personality beyond being adorable.

Bangaa and moogle are definitely the races I wish could've been in the party.

I'm conflicted because I came around on Vaan, though, and I can't really imagine FFXII without him now, and out of all the available races, hume is probably the best for the role he plays. Penelo, though, she could be replaced by a moogle or even a nu mou and fill basically the same role in the party. She wouldn't even really need a different personality.

Then let Migelo (John DiMaggio as a bangaa) and that one bangaa with the weapon that Bloodborne borrowed for the Whirligig Saw be guest characters for a while. Hell, the bounty hunter dude joins in Revenant Wings so why not?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Gologle posted:

Then Vaan's got his fuckin priorities straight with that Viera tail. Non humes that aren't sexy bunny girls can just gently caress off the edge of my St. Ajora Cataclysmic sized theocracy ruled corruption riddled demon manipulated societal DICK.

:agreed:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The fact that FFXII-2 wasn't Balthier and Al-Cid Margrace teaming up to go on swarthy adventures is a goddamn waste in my book.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Barudak posted:

The fact that FFXII-2 wasn't Balthier and Al-Cid Margrace teaming up to go on swarthy adventures is a goddamn waste in my book.

:same:, but Final Fantasy X-2 and the Jecht/Braska/Auron bro'adtrip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The world isn't ready to hear Balthier talk without an absurd amount of audio compression.