Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ApplesandOranges posted:

You can go even further back, there's lots of optional content in FFIII. The Sunken Cave, Bahamut's Lair and Lake Dohr are all optional. Eureka's also optional.

Rat Tail and Class Change was optional, right? :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
i have high hopes for ff15 i think it will be GOOD and FEEL like a final fantasy game

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

fridge corn posted:

i have high hopes for ff15 i think it will be GOOD and FEEL like a final fantasy game

I wish I knew what an FF game felt like.

I know you probably aren't being very serious but as I'm sure you're aware, "not feeling like an FF game" was a criticism heaped upon the last couple titles.

It's like some people came away with the same feeling in FFV as they did in FFVII.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I know you probably aren't being very serious but as I'm sure you're aware, "not feeling like an FF game" was a criticism heaped upon the last couple titles.

It's like some people came away with the same feeling in FFV as they did in FFVII.

well FFXIII didnt feel like a FF game because it barely felt like a game at all.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

TommyGun85 posted:

well FFXIII didnt feel like a FF game because it barely felt like a game at all.

FFXIII was a series of combat puzzles interspersed with a mostly incoherently told story. That said, I enjoyed the combat, so I don't hold that against it.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 25, 2016

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I would play the living hell out of an ff13 combat game and it would work surprisingly well on mobile. Its definitely my favorite FF to just fight things in which really helps when the story is the opposite of motivating.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

i can't think of a dumber criticism considering the whole hallmark of ff is that the games are different from each other

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
When people are being babies about its not Final Fantasy enough, they usually mean they want Square to go back to releasing the same game with new technology and a rushed story every 1-2 years like the 7-8-9 days.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

zedprime posted:

When people are being babies about its not Final Fantasy enough, they usually mean they want Square to go back to releasing the same game with new technology and a rushed story every 1-2 years like the 7-8-9 days.

I'd play another game like 8 or 9. though we already got another game like 8 in that 12 focused a lot on political intrigue and no one liked the battle system.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

zedprime posted:

7 and 9 had a more complete script than any FF title since X. After that it all started to deteriorate fast.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 25, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
9 feels like someone handed in a script they thought was complete, but it turned into the disk 1 script and the rest was quickly phoned in over a weekend.

7 was great overall but as far as "it better feel like Final Fantasy" it is kind of the poster child because it was like 6 but 3d.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There's no such thing as Final Fantasy.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

That's the worst carbuncle surprise ever!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
To be fair, FF13 did away with some FF hallmarks like spell names and that kind of thing. That wasn't the main problem though; it just had a really badly paced story that felt cut together in a hurry in the editing room. When western games are doing the big cinematic story thing better than a series that has been hanging their hat on that for a while, it's a problem.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
FF Record Keeper introduced Cid Raines as a playable character and I legitimately thought for a minute, "wait, who?" I played and beat FFXIII.

WE'RE JUST PETS, HOPE

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

bloodychill posted:

To be fair, FF13 did away with some FF hallmarks like spell names and that kind of thing.

Wat?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yeah I don't get that either. It still has Fire/Fira/Firaga and that sort of thing.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

No more spell names because the only useful spell is Ruin. I kid, that was a brain-fart and I meant class names. Granted, the "classic" FF class names are only used in a few titles so it's not a big deal.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

bloodychill posted:

No more spell names because the only useful spell is Ruin. I kid, that was a brain-fart and I meant class names. Granted, the "classic" FF class names are only used in a few titles so it's not a big deal.

Sweet paradigm names cancel this out, though.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

bloodychill posted:

I mean, to be fair they don't fit the classic jobs anyway. Medic is White Mage with the serial numbers filed off, sure, but Ravager is a bastardized combo of Black Mage and Spellblade (with a hint of White Mage) and Saboteur/Synergist are some unholy combination of all the * Mage jobs.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
XIII also did away with consumable items and MP, and actually having to manage your health between battles. It was very unlike any other FF because of all of the changes in mechanics, plus not having any sidequests until 80% through the game nor any actual towns and NPCs to interact with.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shoren posted:

XIII also did away with consumable items and MP, and actually having to manage your health between battles. It was very unlike any other FF because of all of the changes in mechanics, plus not having any sidequests until 80% through the game nor any actual towns and NPCs to interact with.

Yeah its the best Final Fantasy

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Pulse was the worst part of ffxiii imo

I played through ffxiii with my roommates in tow and one of them spent the whole game saying "man, I hear this game gets actually good when it opens up, when is that going to happen? All I want is for this game to open up"

Then we got to pulse and after 1 session there he said "ok, nevermind. this really sucks"

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
The worst part of XIII is where you're stuck with only 2 party members so the battle system is dramatically less interesting and fun

The problem is that part lasts about 25 hours

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ninjewtsu posted:

I played through ffxiii with my roommates in tow and one of them spent the whole game saying "man, I hear this game gets actually good when it opens up, when is that going to happen? All I want is for this game to open up"

Then we got to pulse and after 1 session there he said "ok, nevermind. this really sucks"

A wise man.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

I actually like XIII but it's such a weird love/hate relationship. I also heard "the game gets good when it opens up" only to discover Pulse is hands down the worst section of the whole game. The tower dungeon is the worst in the whole game and the story for this section ("let's find a way to cure our l'Cie Brands! I know there's a way to do it! ...oh I guess not. Why did I think we could do this again?") is dumb even by XIII standards. On the other hand, you finally have control of your entire party which means you can actually explore the battle system more and it is a fun battle system.

But before Pulse, when the game was "railroading" you, when it was focusing on character drama and interaction, I liked it a lot. XIII's strength is its party and if you like them, then it works. I did like them (except for Fang and Lightning sometimes) so I liked the game. Except, on the flipside, being stuck with only two characters meant you barely scratched the surface of the combat system.

So, to me, it's like the game really loses its way in terms of story when it opens up but it finally takes the kiddy gloves off with the gameplay. And before that, when I was enjoying the story, the gameplay was a snore.

I guess, if I had to choose, I'd take fun story/bad gameplay so everything before the Ark. The way the story just collapses on itself once it's no longer a series of cutscene -> tedious dungeons -> cutscene shows the real weakness of the writing, I think.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 26, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i liked 13's combat, and that's all i need really

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It could use a better equipment system and half as many party members.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i wish hope had died and his tough mom had joined the party

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pulse is legitimately my favorite part of XIII :shrug:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The worst part of FF13 is actually Vanille's stupid accent.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I, for one, can't wait for boyband adventure XV.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Whizbang posted:

The worst part of FF13 is actually Vanille's stupid accent.

The voice actress is actually Australian and sounds just like that.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
where's the video of vanille's VA playing ff xiii

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Still lolling at them making Fang and Vanille sound Australian because they literally come from 'down under'

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
My favorite thing is Australian/British people on the internet hearing an accent in a video game done by a native to their country and going "pff, obviously fake :smuggo: "

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

What's even weirder is that iirc Fang is the one who actually has the fake Australian voice and yet is infinitely more pallettable to people.
Chalk it up to bad directing I guess.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Schwartzcough posted:

The voice actress is actually Australian and sounds just like that.

That's why it's the worst, somewhere a woman is ordering tacos or having a conversation in a coffee shop with that awful awful voice.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Probably more to do with Australia having different dialects and the person with the non-native accent would just be doing what most people consider a generic Australian one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

NikkolasKing posted:

I was thinking about this and honestly I think it's the music that makes a final fantasy game and perhaps nothing other than that