Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sunning posted:

These games were made to target the mobile audience which is comprised of many people who have never played the games before. If you have read the reviews for these remakes, then you'll see that they review well with 4+/5 star aggregate reviews. More importantly, SE is probably happy that these games perform well on paid charts.

Counterpoint: VI is one of the greatest RPGs ever made. Even a lovely port would be amazing if you've never played it before. That doesn't make it any less lovely compared to the SNES release.

Worse art does not make a game more approachable. Other things, like having hints, may. But its more the garish mix of different resolutions and filters that is killing me, not so much the hints. Especially if you can turn those off. That makes sense for new players. Butchering the art style does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Starhawk64 posted:

Also gunblades are retarded weapons

Screw that! Gunblades are great and here's why:

Gun-fist weapons! Gun-weapon everything. FFXIV did exactly what was needed with the whole gunblade thing, and that is make it more god drat ridiculous.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zaphod42 posted:

Having enemies like dogs and slimes drop gil makes no sense? Now you get paid by your employer instead. (Earthbound did the same thing pretty much)
Earthbound didn't, it just masked the traditional money formula by hiding it behind having to phone your dad to get it. FF8 was more like
code:
CONGRATULATIONS PLAYER, YOU HAVE PLAYED FOR THIRTY MINUTES.
PLEASE ACCEPT THIS 1000*(RANK) GIL THAT YOU'LL NEVER SPEND.
ALSO, YOU RECEIVE THREE DEMOTIONS BECAUSE YOU PLAYED CARDS ONCE.
Absolutely terrible.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

dreffen posted:

Gun-fist weapons! Gun-weapon everything. FFXIV did exactly what was needed with the whole gunblade thing, and that is make it more god drat ridiculous.

Like Monster Hunter's (illogical) Bow-guns?

The logical next step is gun-guns.

actually that would probably fit in FF just fine...

As much as it may sound like I'm disagreeing with you... I actually really love gun-everything in FFXIV.

I just wish we players could use gun-things too.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Overbite posted:

No one mentioned the King of indesipherable spell names, Phantasy Star. Here's a fun game, try to guess what these spells do!

Res
Tsu
Hinas
Ryuka
Rimpa
Rimit
Arows

The game never says, you gotta look them up in the manual.

Also, don't at least a couple of those flat out not work?

Ah well, I can't hate Phantasy Star, indecipherable nonsense and all. :swoon:

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Zaphod42 posted:

Like Monster Hunter's (illogical) Bow-guns?

The logical next step is gun-guns.

As much as it may sound like I'm disagreeing with you... I actually really love gun-everything in FFXIV.

I just wish we players could use gun-things too.

Absolutely. Bow-guns and gun-guns. Bards get the Bow-guns in a raid and gun-guns come in when musketeers come in. DONE. Cut us some checks, Square-Enix. They absolutely have to be doing something with that down the road. Not specifically bow-guns but gun weapons. I hope.

edit: Also add in the ability to press R1 (or whatever) to do more damage because you're shooting it and that vibrates it or whatever stupid thing they used to justify that piece of insanity.

dreffen fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 16, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

Earthbound didn't, it just masked the traditional money formula by hiding it behind having to phone your dad to get it. FF8 was more like
code:
CONGRATULATIONS PLAYER, YOU HAVE PLAYED FOR THIRTY MINUTES.
PLEASE ACCEPT THIS 1000*(RANK) GIL THAT YOU'LL NEVER SPEND.
ALSO, YOU RECEIVE THREE DEMOTIONS BECAUSE YOU PLAYED CARDS ONCE.
Absolutely terrible.

Nah, rank changes other than tests were entirely based on how many random battles you fought per pay period and since everyone sane rolled with enc-none they'd lose a rank every time. AND you didn't even get 1k*rank unless you hit the very top one that you can't test into permanently and thus have to fight all the random battles for. Oh and your pay periods aren't timed, they're based on your step count just to gently caress with you.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Overbite posted:

No one mentioned the King of indesipherable spell names, Phantasy Star. Here's a fun game, try to guess what these spells do!

Res
Tsu
Hinas
Ryuka
Rimpa
Rimit
Arows

The game never says, you gotta look them up in the manual.

Maragidyne
Sukukaja
Tetrakarn
Trafuri
Samsara
Megidolaon
Samarecarm
Makajam
Pulinpa

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

dreffen posted:

It's great that you decided to choose the most reasonable gun-weapon of the Tribunes as the example.

Of the other two, one has a gun-hammer (which looks more like a wrench with a jet engine bolted to it), and the other dual-wields missile-launcher gunshields. Garlemald is crazy as hell.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
This has probably been discussed to death already, but I recently had time to listen to a few of the remixed music tracks in FFX. What I've heard has been pretty hit or miss, but the missess miss by a mile. Some of them are so overwrought that they almost come across as parodies of the originals. I would be curious to have a FFX virgin listen to both versions of a particular track and see which one they prefer, just so I know I'm not being biased by nostalgia.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Shaezerus posted:

the other dual-wields missile-launcher gunshields

:stare:

Why haven't I picked up FFXIV, again? (other than being sad that you can't have Carbuncles at endgame)

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I'm glad I must have retarded eyes or something because the updated graphics for FFVI don't look that terrible to me.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

What this tells me is that they need to make a gunblade using class in FFXIV

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

WAS THIS SO HARD SQUARE ENIX?

If it wasn't for Bravely Default they would never get my money again.

Here's a quick mock-up I made.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Jibo posted:

I'm glad I must have retarded eyes or something because the updated graphics for FFVI don't look that terrible to me.

You and me both. I tend to be in that position for most "OMG LOOK THE GRAPHICS ARE BAD, THERE'S JAGGIES OR SOME poo poo" situations. v:shobon:v

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Kyrosiris posted:

You and me both. I tend to be in that position for most "OMG LOOK THE GRAPHICS ARE BAD, THERE'S JAGGIES OR SOME poo poo" situations. v:shobon:v

I don't mind the sprites, but the difference in quality and style between those and the world map are pretty jarring. I hope the other cities don't look as bad and out of place as Figaro does.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

WAS THIS SO HARD SQUARE ENIX?

If it wasn't for Bravely Default they would never get my money again.

Woah man what crappy translation did you play as a kid?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Shaezerus posted:

It's great that you decided to choose the most reasonable gun-weapon of the Tribunes as the example.

Of the other two, one has a gun-hammer (which looks more like a wrench with a jet engine bolted to it), and the other dual-wields missile-launcher gunshields. Garlemald is crazy as hell.

It was honestly just the first that came to mind. But you're right, out of all of those it is probably the most reasonable gun weapon. I like FFXIV so drat much.

Kyrosiris posted:

Why haven't I picked up FFXIV, again? (other than being sad that you can't have Carbuncles at endgame)

Good question! Why haven't you? The game is pretty great, but I suppose if you're not interested in Bahamut's Coil then there's not much point in playing but I think this game will get real good when they start fleshing out the classes and adding more jobs.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

That loving Sned posted:

I don't know what Square Enix's obsession is with getting rid of the old text bubbles in place of really ugly ones that look like Windows 98.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

What this tells me is that they need to make a gunblade using class in FFXIV

The first new class will almost undoubtedly be the musketeer, so close enough.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

*looks at FFVI Android*

gently caress you, Square Enix. Just... gently caress you.

This. Dear God, this. I still claim FF6 as my all-time favorite game, but there's no way I'm going to play that eye-jarring excuse of a port.

Besides, if Blitz inputs are arrows only now, how the gently caress is one supposed to do X Y Down Up to suplex the train?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

ShadowedFlames posted:

This. Dear God, this. I still claim FF6 as my all-time favorite game, but there's no way I'm going to play that eye-jarring excuse of a port.

Besides, if Blitz inputs are arrows only now, how the gently caress is one supposed to do X Y Down Up to suplex the train?

By pressing X, Y, Down, and then Up?

Edit: Nevermind, just looked at the picture again. Huh.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If it's arrows only they've probably changed the inputs to be more like the fighting game inputs they're meant to mock. In Suplex's case that probably means a full 360 motion.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

ShadowedFlames posted:

It's something like upper-right, upper-left, down, up.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Maragidyne
Sukukaja
Tetrakarn
Trafuri
Samsara
Megidolaon
Samarecarm
Makajam
Pulinpa

But in SMT or Persona if you select Megidolaon it will tell you that it does Almighty damage. Not so in PS4. The shops don't even have stats for weapons and armor! It's still a great game though.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

That loving Sned posted:

Anyone know if the portable versions of Retroarch handle the GPU shaders? It's hard for me to look at pixely screenshots without them any more. :qq:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Shaezerus posted:

Needed to look this up:

Final Fantasy really needs more ridiculous villains with ridiculous weapons.

Also I assume this is the gun-hammer:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

ShadowedFlames posted:

My GOAT is Chrono Trigger, which they didn't touch visually on DS or iOS but they did add lovely menus on the iOS version. The DS version I also feel looks best on the small DS screen.

Someone on Facebook accused me of just being nostalgic but I actually like what Square Enix did with the visuals for FFIII and FFIV. I would have been fine with that for FFVI. But not this... thing.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Someone on Facebook accused me of just being nostalgic but I actually like what Square Enix did with the visuals for FFIII and FFIV. I would have been fine with that for FFVI. But not this... thing.

They should just make this:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Veib posted:

:swoon:

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

My GOAT is Chrono Trigger, which they didn't touch visually on DS or iOS but they did add lovely menus on the iOS version. The DS version I also feel looks best on the small DS screen.

I was hoping for a PSP-style remake a la I, II, or IV, or the 3D versions you mentioned. I have Chrono Trigger on DS and am happy with how they ported that. Hell, make it like IV DS and go 3D and ramp up the difficulty level. Anything but this...monstrosity.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I just got an iPad Air the other day and an iOS release of Chrono Trigger would be the best thing. I also got Theatrhythm and I wish they would have released some Chrono Trigger songs for that but either way it's a fantastic game.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jibo posted:

I just got an iPad Air the other day and an iOS release of Chrono Trigger would be the best thing. I also got Theatrhythm and I wish they would have released some Chrono Trigger songs for that but either way it's a fantastic game.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/chrono-trigger/id479431697?mt=8

You are better off buying $10 worth of pennies and trying to choke on them but go hog wild

general chaos
May 20, 2001

Midee posted:

Anyone know if the portable versions of Retroarch handle the GPU shaders? It's hard for me to look at pixely screenshots without them any more. :qq:
Did people make these pixel complaints when the GBA port of FF6 was released? All I can remember is problems regarding the sound issues. Those were patched by hackers or something right?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Veib posted:

For that the port was kind of lovely, I still have a soft spot in my heart for the cutscenes they added to the Final Fantasy Anthology version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Apk08fgDNg

Maybe it's nostalgia: the PS1 port was the first time I got to play FFVI, having missed the Super NES version earlier and having been unable to find a used copy. It was the second Final Fantasy I played, after VII.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Those new screenshots of VI are definitely uglier than I was expecting (although I'll see how much I notice on my tiny phone screen), but I can't imagine ever wishing for an on-screen controller for input on a touchscreen phone game.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

general chaos posted:

Did people make these pixel complaints when the GBA port of FF6 was released? All I can remember is problems regarding the sound issues. Those were patched by hackers or something right?

Sound and Slowdown if memory serves correctly. The optimisation for FF6A was really cack-handed. It was a beautiful port but the GBA just couldn't properly do it justice.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

For that the port was kind of lovely, I still have a soft spot in my heart for the cutscenes they added to the Final Fantasy Anthology version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Apk08fgDNg

Oh wow, I did not remember those things even existing, and I've finished all of the PSX Anthology ports (after I'd finished them all on an emulator, I never had the Snes versions). That's pretty cool, actually.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

It is seriously the best FF in years.

Its an MMO though, so... that's enough reason not to. But if that's your thing, its awesome.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

DS CT rules because they moved everything to the bottom of the screen except the sprites which take up the full top, and they didn't change ANYTHING else. Its perfect.

The playstation version with Akira Toryiama anime scenes was cool too though.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/chrono-trigger/id479431697?mt=8

You are better off buying $10 worth of pennies and trying to choke on them but go hog wild

How does this?

Improve in on any way on this?

uggh! :argh:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Maybe it's nostalgia: the PS1 port was the first time I got to play FFVI, having missed the Super NES version earlier and having been unable to find a used copy. It was the second Final Fantasy I played, after VII.

I enjoyed the animated cutscenes in the PSX version of Chrono Trigger as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkWK-NEtmHk