Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Huh. There was a completed VIII LP by Azure Horizon but I guess it never got archived? I know, Azure Horizon, but it was actually pretty good and stayed away from his creepy support of all things FF13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Artix posted:

Huh. There was a completed VIII LP by Azure Horizon but I guess it never got archived? I know, Azure Horizon, but it was actually pretty good and stayed away from his creepy support of all things FF13.

Removed. It's probably in the forum archives. If I recall correctly, Baldurk removed it because he didn't want it on the LPArchive any more after Azure Horizon got banned.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wait, I thought there was a LP completed by some Leon guy.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Leovinus did a LP in 2005, it was rather good and had Robin Williams at his peak.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Tae posted:

Wait, I thought there was a LP completed by some Leon guy.

Leovinus asked that one to be removed from the archives.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Bravely Second and Final Fantasy Explorers were in the recent 3DS Nintendo Direct for Japan: http://youtu.be/ghFEU4t_Pm8?t=4m13s

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mr. Maltose posted:

Guess its time to announce my FF8 lp where I try to form a cohesive narrative out of it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Guess its time to announce my FF8 lp where I try to form a cohesive narrative out of it.

At least I will finally get to see an LP where a man dies.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

I'm a fighter I can take it.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Make sure to keep all the necessary helplines noted down near your desk. Good luck.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

I'm a fighter I can take it.

Id thought the same thing and FFX killed him dead. What do you think FFVIII's gonna do to you, maggot?

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Someone actually did that: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?428367-Final-Fantasy-VIII-The-Altimate-Rewrite-Part-I

Even boosted Rinoa's IQ by 100 points.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Beef Waifu posted:

At the end of disc one, right? :can:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

That's not an lp that's fan fiction.

Beef Waifu posted:

Id thought the same thing and FFX killed him dead. What do you think FFVIII's gonna do to you, maggot?

FF8 is significantly easier to play through than FFX.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Sunning posted:

Bravely Second and Final Fantasy Explorers were in the recent 3DS Nintendo Direct for Japan: http://youtu.be/ghFEU4t_Pm8?t=4m13s
I am pretty loving hype for Explorers. What was going on with the whole Cloud thing?

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Butt Ghost posted:

I am pretty loving hype for Explorers. What was going on with the whole Cloud thing?

He was revealed on the Square-Enix developer's stream held for the game yesterday. Apparently, the player can use an ability to transform into heroes from past FF games. The ability is only for a limited duration but it allows you to take on the character's appearance use their special attacks, such as limit breaks. It's implied there could be more transformations but Cloud was the only we know about so far. So it sounds like a mix of a power up and fanservice.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

As long as I can transform into Edgar and chainsaw some Malboros, I'll be satisfied.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

TARDISman posted:

As long as I can transform into Edgar and chainsaw some Malboros, I'll be satisfied.

Not bloody likely. I'm guessing Cecil, Cloud, Squall, Yuna, and three versions of Lightning.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You never know, maybe we can become Warrior of Light and do...stuff. I don't know, the original Final Fantasy protagonists didn't really have special characteristics.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

Not bloody likely. I'm guessing Cecil, Cloud, Squall, Yuna, and three versions of Lightning.

...At least Esper Terra so I can tear poo poo up with magic? :ohdear:

Oh who am I kidding, it's going to be like you said, just with another 3 FFVII cast members, Aerith, Sephiroth, and Vincent. Gotta make it so a viable party exists with just FFVII characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'd guess one from every game and VI gets Terra.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ImpAtom posted:

Nothing particular to remember in the PSP edition.

There are some missable characters in The After Years. Most of nobodies but you'll want to look up how to save them because at least one major character can die if you're not careful.

I think the only characters you can lose are the dolls and the Eblan 4. In the original, you lose out on new characters if you jumped straight to the last chapter, but I don't think the PSP version lets you do that.

Eblan 4 are rather simple, just don't let them die in their respective missions. The dolls require you grinding a couple of drops in Rydia's chapter from specific enemies, though it's less of a pain than the Wii version since the PSP version makes the drops less rare. That said, the Eblan 4 and the dolls suck in the end game (well, Tsukinowa or whatever is alright since he's the fastest character in the game), so gameplay-wise and story-wise you're really not missing out on anything by letting them die.

Mr. Maltose posted:

He had it removed and actually attempted to redo it at some point, though it ended up dying partway through. So there's been two complete FF8 LP's, but neither's in the LP Archive anymore. I'd imagine another FF8 LP will pop up eventually though, but if you have archives Azure's still works.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

I think the only characters you can lose are the dolls and the Eblan 4. In the original, you lose out on new characters if you jumped straight to the last chapter, but I don't think the PSP version lets you do that.

Unless they changed it in the PSP version Golbez can also die.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Apparently Sakaguchi wanted to make Chrono Trigger 2 but it got shot down.

I guess I could post that in the RPG thread but it's from the FF Grandaddy so why not post it here.

It's also not directly from him but I wouldn't be able to read his comments anyway. Just going to have to trust this translator.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Apparently Sakaguchi wanted to make Chrono Trigger 2 but it got shot down.

I guess I could post that in the RPG thread but it's from the FF Grandaddy so why not post it here.

It's also not directly from him but I wouldn't be able to read his comments anyway. Just going to have to trust this translator.

Well, a Chrono Trigger 2 is not inherently a super-exciting thing. Chrono Trigger was the result of a literal dream team of developers working together. Chrono Cross is a pretty good example of why "more Chrono" isn't inherently a positive thing.

Now if he'd said "I had the old team onboard and S-E shot me down," that'd be a lot more 'gently caress those guys!'

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Type-0 HD is on PS4 and Xbone because the director of Type-0 is more familiar with PS4 and the Bone.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/29/final-fantasy-type-0-hd-playstation-4-xbox-one-instead-ps3-xbox-360/

Cool

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Well, a Chrono Trigger 2 is not inherently a super-exciting thing. Chrono Trigger was the result of a literal dream team of developers working together. Chrono Cross is a pretty good example of why "more Chrono" isn't inherently a positive thing.

Now if he'd said "I had the old team onboard and S-E shot me down," that'd be a lot more 'gently caress those guys!'
Chrono Cross is good though.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Beef Waifu posted:

Type-0 HD is on PS4 and Xbone because the director of Type-0 is more familiar with PS4 and the Bone.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/29/final-fantasy-type-0-hd-playstation-4-xbox-one-instead-ps3-xbox-360/

Cool

It would have been nice to acknowledge the Vita. I mean if it's not getting PS3 and 360 port there was no way it was getting a Vita port, but still.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Electric Phantasm posted:

It would have been nice to acknowledge the Vita. I mean if it's not getting PS3 and 360 port there was no way it was getting a Vita port, but still.

Other interviews did actually "acknowledge" the Vita, insomuch as they said "we're not going to make it for Vita." They also make it sound more like they're putting it on PS4 and Xbone primarily to create as large a customer base as possible before FFXV comes out, so they probably didn't want to dilute that by giving people other options. Also some bullshit about 'we wanted it on a bigger screen.'

Source: http://kotaku.com/eight-big-final-fantasy-type-0-hd-questions-answered-1628600728

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I assume they can't just come right out and say "The Vita isn't worth the development cost."

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I assume they can't just come right out and say "The Vita isn't worth the development cost."

I imagine it's like the school bully picking on Sony's little brother. Nobody's allowed to publicly neglect the Vita but Sony.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

TARDISman posted:

Dancing Bartz or bust. :colbert:

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

ImpAtom posted:

Despite the mess of trying to incorporate some Chrono Trigger stuff into what could have been a completely unrelated game and been better off for it, Chrono Cross at least gave us some pretty cool art direction and the best non-Arcanum game soundtrack of all time.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Words from the one good kotaku guy on Type-0 HD:

jschreier posted:

With the caveat that I only saw a few minutes: it looks good. Some close ups of textures and faces make it clear this isn't a current-gen game, but it's definitely pretty. Tabata said they used the prerendered models from the PSP version as real-time models for this one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Punch Card posted:

Despite the mess of trying to incorporate some Chrono Trigger stuff into what could have been a completely unrelated game and been better off for it, Chrono Cross at least gave us some pretty cool art direction and the best non-Arcanum game soundtrack of all time.

Chrono Cross isn't the worst game ever or anything but it's a case where "Chrono Trigger sequel" isn't something I'd get excited about without the staff to back it up.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Nihilarian posted:

Chrono Cross is good though.

Good game on its own, but pretty disappointing sequel. Probably wouldn't have nearly as much hate if it were its own series, since other than the way it handles stuff from the first game it doesn't really have any flaws other than excessive playable characters, a confusing story, last-minute plot dumps, and a vague way to beat the final boss (and even some of those flaws are nothing compared to Xenogears). Otherwise, great music and visuals, the story does some interesting things, gameplay is unique and decently balanced, and the characters the game does bother to develop are developed well. It's easy to see how fans of Chrono Trigger, a tight, fast-paced RPG that was pretty lighthearted and didn't take its story too seriously, could be turned off by a game that's pretty different in tone and style (and Cross indirectly killing off some of the main cast off-screen doesn't help it win over CT fans much either). But if you play Cross before Trigger, or aren't a big fan of Trigger, chances are much higher you'll love Cross.

ImpAtom posted:

Unless they changed it in the PSP version Golbez can also die.

Forgot about that. Basically, in the end game, after all characters converge together to tackle the insanely long first half of the final dungeon, you'll reach a gimmicky boss that can only be defeated by having certain characters in your party, but having more certain characters in your party will prevent you from losing another certain character. You can look it up when you get to that point, since the boss will instantly kill you unless you have the right characters, and chances are high you won't be using one of the required ones.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mega64 posted:

(and Cross indirectly killing off some of the main cast off-screen doesn't help it win over CT fans much either). But if you play Cross before Trigger, or aren't a big fan of Trigger, chances are much higher you'll love Cross.

I love both about the same. Also you spent 50 hours destroying the timeline, so yeah of course you eat it off screen. That is what justice is. :colbert:

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Mega64 posted:

It's easy to see how fans of Chrono Trigger, a tight, fast-paced RPG that was pretty lighthearted and didn't take its story too seriously, could be turned off by a game that's pretty different in tone and style (and Cross indirectly killing off some of the main cast off-screen doesn't help it win over CT fans much either). But if you play Cross before Trigger, or aren't a big fan of Trigger, chances are much higher you'll love Cross.

It reminded me of the first Mission Impossible movie with Tom Cruise where the entire cast of characters from the TV series (which the longtime fans loved) dies in the opening scene because the writers wanted to make their own spy thriller movie and slapped the MI license on it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mega64 posted:

But if you play Cross before Trigger, or aren't a big fan of Trigger, chances are much higher you'll love Cross.
Technically I played Trigger first.

The PS1 version. The loading times were like a minute long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

i want a chrono cross 2.