Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Wasn't 7 M rated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

VII was rated T, and the only reason I remember that is because it was the first game I got my mom to bend on the rating thing (I was 12 when it came out).

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

AngryRobotsInc posted:

VII was rated T, and the only reason I remember that is because it was the first game I got my mom to bend on the rating thing (I was 12 when it came out).

A T rated game in which the main character crossdresses in order to sneak into the house of a pimp.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Dr Pepper posted:

A T rated game in which the main character crossdresses in order to sneak into the house of a pimp.

It was a magical time, a game like FFVII would face quite a bit of controversy nowadays, especially in such a famous series.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
There's a great interview with Sakaguchi. It's mostly about his new mobile game (Terra Battle) but there are a lot of great anecdotes about working at Square and the Final Fantasy games:

quote:

I sat down with Sakaguchi on Sunday for an extensive interview with the iconic developer, who was jovial and pleasant, frequently laughing and often chiming in with short English responses to my questions. "[Final Fantasy XV] is taking too long," he joked when I asked his thoughts on the state of the series he's left behind. Sakaguchi was also candid about his thoughts on mobile gaming, ports, and Final Fantasy VI. ("When I hear you and other fans saying, 'Yeah, VI was my favorite!' I'm like, 'Hey, so why didn't you buy it back then?'")

http://kotaku.com/things-are-much-different-for-the-creator-of-final-fant-1629514442

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TARDISman posted:

I'm wondering if they'll pull off an M for the first time in the franchise. Just going off the intro, Type-0's pretty bloody, you've got high school age kids getting mowed the gently caress down on screen.

I always wondered if the lack of ridiculously young characters in more recent FF games is because, with the better graphics, they couldn't get away with showing a lot of violence done to them. FFIV had the Twins (who were 4) and IX had Eiko (who was 6) and with modern graphics we would see them stabbed, shot, crushed, etc..

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FF hasn't really had young characters ever anyway. Recent JRPG Tales of Xillia 2 has a villain kick a like 6 year old girl around for a bit and the game isn't rated M or anything.

FF4 had the twins and rydia, 6 had Relm and Gau, 5 had Krile, but once you get to the PS1 era the only super little kid party members are in 9. Which is an intentional throwback anyway.

Not to mention the violence, even in FF13, is never really hyper realistic and gruesome.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Yeah, the most explicit thing that ever happened to any of those kids is Krile got thrown into the magic fire ring and tossed around a bit and the twins turned each other to stone. Final Fantasy just isn't that violent a franchise, which is what makes me wonder about the rating for Type-0 HD.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Isn't Krile supposed to be something like 14?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Well, it's violent in that the gameplay resolution at a very basic level involves defeating opponents in combat and killing monsters. The twins were beating people up and getting attacked on the way up to the first elemental. It was just up to your imagination how that actually plays out, if you bothered to imagine it at all. Who imagines 4 year olds getting beaten up except sociopaths?

There is a lot of violence in FF but it is just not visceral. There's very little blood. There aren't many death scenes that don't involve a monster dissolving or slumping. This makes those few moments where things get a bit more descriptive or visually visceral far more intense, like Edward describing how he was shielded from arrows in FF4 or the trail of blood following Sephiroth's slaughter in FF7 or even Kefka poisoning the water supply in FF6 and the resulting castle full of corpses.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Dr Pepper posted:

Eight year old me had no idea what was going on in any of that section. That game really is the gift that keeps on giving :allears:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Sunning posted:

There's a great interview with Sakaguchi. It's mostly about his new mobile game (Terra Battle) but there are a lot of great anecdotes about working at Square and the Final Fantasy games:

http://kotaku.com/things-are-much-different-for-the-creator-of-final-fant-1629514442

#rekt #burnheal #SAForumsinanutshell #wantfrieswiththatburn #somebodygivemeaburnnotice

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

bloodychill posted:

Well, it's violent in that the gameplay resolution at a very basic level involves defeating opponents in combat and killing monsters. The twins were beating people up and getting attacked on the way up to the first elemental. It was just up to your imagination how that actually plays out, if you bothered to imagine it at all. Who imagines 4 year olds getting beaten up except sociopaths?

There is a lot of violence in FF but it is just not visceral. There's very little blood. There aren't many death scenes that don't involve a monster dissolving or slumping. This makes those few moments where things get a bit more descriptive or visually visceral far more intense, like Edward describing how he was shielded from arrows in FF4 or the trail of blood following Sephiroth's slaughter in FF7 or even Kefka poisoning the water supply in FF6 and the resulting castle full of corpses.

Offhand I can only really think of three instances of blood:

-As mentioned, Sephiroth's slaughter.
-Squall getting his scar in the opening cutscene.
-Kuja after getting hit by Mega Flare at the end of Disc 2.

Aside from that the series is pretty tame when it comes to showing bodily fluids.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Aside from that the series is pretty tame when it comes to showing bodily fluids.

Except for Final Fantasy Tactics, where people were coughing up blood left and right.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Ivalice had some TB issues, it was a bad time.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Don't forget the part in the opening of FFXII where... everyone died and the crows ate their bodies.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

ApplesandOranges posted:

What about the part in VII where Sephiroth rips off Jenova's plate and red liquid pours out? I always thought that was blood.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 3, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Himuro posted:

What about the part in VII where Sephiroth rips off Jenova's plate and red liquid pours out? I always thought that was blood.

I think that was just weird rear end cooling fluid. At least that's probably how they explained it to ESRB, who the hell knows what was going on in that tank.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

TARDISman posted:

Yeah, the most explicit thing that ever happened to any of those kids is Krile got thrown into the magic fire ring and tossed around a bit and the twins turned each other to stone. Final Fantasy just isn't that violent a franchise, which is what makes me wonder about the rating for Type-0 HD.

Didn't the director of Type-0 say that it was inspired by a real war? Or am I muddling that up with Tactics Ogre and Yugoslav warring?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I love how this apparent dark, gritty, and mature Final Fantasy game -- that may be based on a real-rear end war -- is still about high schoolers.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Butt Ghost posted:

I love how this apparent dark, gritty, and mature Final Fantasy game -- that may be based on a real-rear end war -- is still about high schoolers.

Characters over the age of 20 do not exist. What exactly are you suggesting?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Himuro posted:

Well, duh. They don't exist because they all died and nobody remembers them

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Himuro posted:

Of course they exist! They are all villains.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Gologle posted:

#rekt #burnheal #SAForumsinanutshell #wantfrieswiththatburn #somebodygivemeaburnnotice

I wonder how he feels about the work environment back at Square-Enix. It seems as though former SE employees, such as Hiromichi Tanaka and Yasumi Matsuno, are following in his footsteps. They didn't stick around at the company after their big budget projects had major development issues and have instead gravitated toward smaller game projects on mobile platforms. More recently, Kentaro Yasui, a lead programmer for the KH games and FFXV, left the company in the middle of FFXV's development to work on a mobile game by an upstart developer. It's probably a mix of burn out from large, troubled projects and the fact that very few publishers are funding big budget JRPGs. At least Sakaguchi managed to get Microsoft and Nintendo to fund some games for Mistwalker.

CottonWolf posted:

Didn't the director of Type-0 say that it was inspired by a real war? Or am I muddling that up with Tactics Ogre and Yugoslav warring?

The story-telling and presentation style was based on a historical documentary series on Japanese television.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Levantine posted:

Of course they exist! They are all villains.
Type-0 is actually Square Enix's take on Kids Next Door.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes, what we need is FF Kids.*

*This is not sarcasm.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Laguna and his pals were in their late 20a when we played as them if that is any consolation.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I wonder how they got away with having Edgar, Sabin, and Setzer be 27. And Cyan be 50. This is why FF6 had the best cast.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Sprites were a different time. Galuf was 60, Tellah was 60.

... and Palom and Porom were 5 :shepface:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'll take game about high schoolers that actually deal with ptsd and the consequences of death (and loopholes around it). That's one of the things I loved about FFX is the consequence of death and building a society around it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not sure why people are acting like recent Final Fantasy games don't have older guys. Auron was like 35 (give or take being a zombie), Steiner was 33, FFVII had Cid and Barret...

FFVIII was about Teenagers With Attitude and FFXIII's cast were all mid-20s-but-500 except Hope and Sazh but for the most part Final Fantasy hasn't exactly avoided having people over 25.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Over ten years ago is not "recent".

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I know you like to act like 13 doesn't exist, but it has a father in it.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

EDIT: Whoops, thought this was the RPG thread, ignore me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Sazh?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sazh is 40 when XIII starts, so yes.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

ImpAtom posted:

FFVIII was about Teenagers With Attitude and FFXIII's cast were all mid-20s-but-500 except Hope but for the most part Final Fantasy hasn't exactly avoided having people over 25.

Lightning and Snow are 21, Vanille is (6)19, Fang is (6)21, Hope is 14, and Sazh is 40. 21 isn't exactly shooting far above the teenager mark.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Artix posted:

Lightning and Snow are 21, Vanille is (5)19, Fang is (6)21 (...Wait, what? I thought she and Vanille were a thing, how is she 100 years older? :psyduck:), Hope is 14, and Sazh is 40. 21 isn't exactly shooting far above the teenager mark.

So? People are talking about how 'surprising' it is that they had characters over 25 when every Final Fantasy game since the SNES era besides FFVIII has had a cast which contains at least one character of that age and it isn't something that has changed since. Even FFXV has Cor Leonis who is in his 40s.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Beef Waifu posted:

I know you like to act like 13 doesn't exist, but it has a father in it.

The one likable character in the game. He's an outlier. FF6 is the only one where most of the cast is 25+. (At least I believe most, I didn't count) So it feels like the most adult cast, even despite Relm and Gau. It's the only RPG I can think of where I can have my top five favorite characters be 25+. I wonder why they chose to do that in one game and then never again.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Despite the characters not all being of age, I still really liked XII's cast. Even though she's a teenager, Ashe doesn't ACT like a teenager.