Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

AnotherGamer posted:

Well basically, I forget to move my hand back to the middle of the lower screen, and since tapping and holding work fine at any point of the screen, I don't notice it until too late. Furthermore, "tiny" flicks are never sufficient and I often fail to get them to register even with ridiculously exaggerated motions.

When I first got Theatrhythm I was having a lot of trouble with the arrows and it felt super inconsistent. After a while I realised it was because my motions were too big and when I started doing smaller flicks I had no problems with them anymore. (And I definitely don't need to stay in the center of the screen) If you check out this video, this is similar to how I do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeIgbcebdIA

But if you're doing that too then I'm not sure. It does seem like a lot of people are more comfortable with the button controls in the sequel so I guess the touchscreen controls just aren't for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
At least in the demo I liked the touchscreen for Field songs and the face buttons for Battle. J-E-N-O-V-A on Ultimate would've made me punch a hole through the 3DS if I tried it with the stylus.

Also holy gently caress, Ultimate difficulty does not play around.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also I am really loving bad at EMS songs, holy poo poo.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

AnotherGamer posted:

Well basically, I forget to move my hand back to the middle of the lower screen, and since tapping and holding work fine at any point of the screen, I don't notice it until too late. Furthermore, "tiny" flicks are never sufficient and I often fail to get them to register even with ridiculously exaggerated motions.

Unless there's something wrong with your 3DS' lower screen, it really doesn't require more than the slighest flick anywhere on the screen. Otherwise it'd be practically impossible on Ultimate.

Oxxidation posted:

Also holy gently caress, Ultimate difficulty does not play around.

On the other hand, you feel like a badass when you do manage them. At least the demo ones aren't that bad to clear once you give them a few tries, but trying to chain them without mistakes requires some real skill.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 15, 2014

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
I assume I'm probably doing it wrong then but thankfully I don't really have to care about it, I've never been that great at rhythm games to begin with.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Beef Waifu posted:

Also I am really loving bad at EMS songs, holy poo poo.

It's not just you, I think the EMS ones have a stricter timing requirement to hit the notes than the BMS and FMS ones.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

The trick to doing slide notes is to have the stylus already touching the screen as the note approaches and just do the flick when it arrives. When I first started playing I assumed I'd be penalised for touching the screen early and tried to do it all in one motion and it wouldn't register most of the time. Once I figured out the right way to do it, it worked every time.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Suaimhneas posted:

The trick to doing slide notes is to have the stylus already touching the screen as the note approaches and just do the flick when it arrives. When I first started playing I assumed I'd be penalised for touching the screen early and tried to do it all in one motion and it wouldn't register most of the time. Once I figured out the right way to do it, it worked every time.

Can you just keep the stylus touching the screen with multiple arrows then?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

No. Also, since making that post I tried the two songs in the demo on ultimate difficulty and, well, I think I must have never tried ultimate in the first game because holy poo poo that advice is completely loving useless when things are going at this speed :stonk:

I'm still getting them to work though, so I don't even know how to describe what I'm doing anymore.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Tiny flicks kind of sort of in the intended direction works fine, at least in the first game. The leeway you get for direction is pretty good, and unless your screen is one mass of scratches, you don't need to do giant sweeping gestures.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I swear, the music on the quest menu is from FFT, and it won't let me play it in the FFT section :(

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

fronz posted:

I swear, the music on the quest menu is from FFT, and it won't let me play it in the FFT section :(

Yes, that was the worst thing about the first game too. All the menus have those awesome remixes of old FF tracks, and not a single one of them is playable.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Saving it for DLC, maybe?

Also, someone mentioned you need 500 rhythmia to unlock the full track list? Is that still, like, 3 or 4 songs or did they change how long it takes to grind it?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
That's like 4 songs, a good run of a song gets you between 100 and 150. It's not quite the "full" tracklist since there seems to be one hidden song per game that you unlock by getting loads of rhythmia.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

So the old "play three songs from a game" thing is gone and replaced by the Melody Quests, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I got a little spare cash and I'm considering Curtain Call. Is it worth it if you've got the previous one or should I wait for a price drop?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

So the old "play three songs from a game" thing is gone and replaced by the Melody Quests, right?

I didn't play the first one, can you explain what you mean by the first thing?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

fronz posted:

I didn't play the first one, can you explain what you mean by the first thing?

The original game had a mode where you would play a Field Song, a Battle Song, and an EMS from each game as kind of the main plot mode. It was bookended by brief summaries of the introduction and conclusion of the plot of that game where you could gain a few rhythmia by tapping along to a different song. It was always the same three songs and they would total your score at the end.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I got a little spare cash and I'm considering Curtain Call. Is it worth it if you've got the previous one or should I wait for a price drop?
The song library's vastly expanded and it includes the DLC characters/songs from the first game, plus a lot of new ones, but it's still basically the same core game. Do you want a bunch of new songs/characters for Theatherhythm? Are you willing to pay 40 bucks for that? If yes, go for it. If not, wait for a price drop.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

ImpAtom posted:

I forget how many songs were in the first one but this one is 221 songs (although you have to unlock the cinematic Event songs) for $40 bucks, plus tons more characters and better play modes. Two of the DLC songs out so far are also free, which is nice. There's also the online stuff I haven't even touched yet. I consider that all worth $40, personally.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Oh, yeah, there's nothing like that. There are these long quests (which don't really have a story per se; at least, as far as I know) of a bunch of songs that you get to choose between; your HP bar doesn't refresh between songs, so it's sort of an endurance thing. It's also definitely where you get your character unlocks (the rewards usually include crystals, which are what unlock characters)

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The original game had a mode where you would play a Field Song, a Battle Song, and an EMS from each game as kind of the main plot mode. It was bookended by brief summaries of the introduction and conclusion of the plot of that game where you could gain a few rhythmia by tapping along to a different song. It was always the same three songs and they would total your score at the end.

This mode is gone from what I've seen, but Quest Medleys are more like the replacement for the Dark Note thing from the first one, except you get actual song variety and, so far, it seems easier and quicker to unlock characters.

Speaking of unlocking characters, I like that each crystal color is tied to 5 or 6 characters, and when you get enough shards to unlock a character, you get to freely choose between them. That's a good system.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Speaking of unlocking characters, I like that each crystal color is tied to 5 or 6 characters, and when you get enough shards to unlock a character, you get to freely choose between them. That's a good system.
My favorite part of that is that Sephiroth gets his own super special crystal color all to himself.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Can someone please explain to me why they used Agrias instead of Delita

also now I really want that quest medley menu music. I hope they make it DLC.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My favorite part is that I can make a party of two Lightnings and two Yunas. I did not play the first game but Curtain Call seems really fun so far. The quest mode is pretty neat and the music selection is extremely good

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

fronz posted:

Agrias is the coolest lady in Final Fantasy, Delita is a punk rear end hater.

Easy decision :colbert:.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
Does anybody know how to unlock the Online Versus mode?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

fronz posted:

Blame yourself or god.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

General Morden posted:

Does anybody know how to unlock the Online Versus mode?

You unlock it at 2000rm.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
There are precisely two problems with Curtain Call: the glaring omissions of Ukelele de Chocobo and Vamo alla Flamenco. Otherwise, it's perfect.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

fronz posted:

They were worried there weren't enough blonde characters with ponytails.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

fronz posted:

Easy, Agrias is a knight, and Delita's just lowborn scum. :smug:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/fabula/FF13_Portal/

Sorry if this was posted already, on phone.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
STEAAAAAAAAAAM!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Ohh, it's available on the "Playstaion 3".

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Awww, no Xbone :saddowns:

I have this stupid $500 machine my brother bought a year ago and no games I want to play on it. Guess it's another sacrifice to Gaben for 13-2 and 13-3.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Oh hey, now my dad'll actually play a FF game past IX.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'm not going to buy any of those games again but it's cool square is willing to release things on the PC

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It'd be nice for LR, it'll probably run a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Next is the full remake and rerelease of FF9 for the personal computer.