Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I didn't use or want to use Yuffie in FF7 and she was free there, is she that popular a character that SE thinks they will make a profit off her as DLC?

I like Yuffie. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Man all these steam releases give me a little bit of hope to see 15 on PC one day.

I am no expert, but it is "supposed to be" easier to port PS4/XB1 games to PC than it is to port from PS3/360. I'll keeping my fingers crossed.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

All I want is the iOS Secret of Mana on something not mobile.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I'd snap up a PC port of the Complete Collection in a heartbeat, even if After Years and that inbetweener came sewn onto it.

Definitely my favorite version.

But I should've read more carefully, because the Steam version is just the 3DS/iOS version. What a shame.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 17, 2014

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

There are so many FF games that I would buy again if they were ported well and made available on Steam.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Xavier434 posted:

There are so many FF games that I would buy again if they were ported well and made available on Steam.

I probably couldn't run anything X or later, but hell, anything before that and I'd buy it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm just holding out for another two decades when the FF series has been dead a good long time and SE or whoever releases a huge loving book of like 20 games as a COMPLETE COLLECTION

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I'm just holding out for another two decades when the FF series has been dead a good long time and SE or whoever releases a huge loving book of like 20 games as a COMPLETE COLLECTION

Unfortunately, it'll consist of 20 different versions of IV. On the plus side, it'll include XV's second demo (coming soon!).

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Why do people keep assuming that it's going to be on Steam in a way that's natively playable?

http://gematsu.com/2014/09/square-enix-announces-dive-stream-final-fantasy-xiii-mobile-devices

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Prowler posted:

Why do people keep assuming that it's going to be on Steam in a way that's natively playable?

http://gematsu.com/2014/09/square-enix-announces-dive-stream-final-fantasy-xiii-mobile-devices

I assume it's coming to Steam because they reference both steam, and their streaming service separately in the image.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Prowler posted:

I'm not sure what streaming a game to mobile has to do with steam

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I'm just saying there will be a new and exciting disappointment in the works, and what better way than to offer it through Steam but also their streaming service, coming soon to PC as well!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Phantasium posted:

All I want is the iOS Secret of Mana on something not mobile.

Does the iOS version have any enhancements or a better translation or something that makes it different from the SNES release?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Does the iOS version have any enhancements or a better translation or something that makes it different from the SNES release?

According to the guy I asked in the RPG thread:

Dross posted:

- Original character names are now default choices.
- Translation seems 99% the same with a few minor changes.
- There is only 2 save slots. A third slot is reserved for the auto-save.
- The game automatically saves any time you change screen. Some rare occurrences do not autosave.

Interface:
- There is now 4 shortcut slots on the right side of the screen. In any ring menu, you can now drag an icon to a shortcut slot. Touching the shortcut will execute the command. Very useful when mapping the girl's healing magic, or fast switching to the whip.
- When using an item or casting magic, the list of targets pops on the left side of the screen. This allows the player to either touch the target on the battlefield or on the left side menu if everything is too crammed up.

Graphics:
- The water now shows reflection of the sky and some lens flare effect
- Shadows are now in a separate layer on top of everything. You can see this when walking near buildings in towns.
- Some enemies have new graphics. So far I've seen different bees, slimes and fishes.
- Ring menu icons all have new graphics (Elementals, Magic, Weapons, etc.)
- There is now a black fadeout when sleeping (Not sure if this was true on the SNES)
- The world map shown when being fired off from the cannon is now less pixelated.

Music and sounds:
- Music no longer gets screwed up by the sound effects (in the original, some of the layers of music would go silent when certain sound effects were triggered like magic spells, weapons, basically anything)
- The music does not continuously loop, there is a split second delay between loops
- The goodnight song does not play completely before the characters wake up.

Menus:
- The Stats menu now shows an illustration of the current character.
- In the Level menu (the one that shows your weapons and magic levels), you can now equip a weapon by dragging a weapon on your character's illustration. This is very useful when you are looking for which weapon to level up. You can also see if the weapon is already used by someone else directly from this menu.
- There is no more menu for customizing dialog boxes.
- The AI is not as customizable in the Action menu. Instead, there is now preset behaviors to choose from like attack closest enemy, don't attack, assist Randi, etc.

Controls and gameplay:
- When walking on stairs, there is no longer that short interruption between each step. This means you can now run on most stairs without getting interrupted.
- Using the whip to cross ridges is now more easier. In the SNES version you had to move near the first stake and wiggle the dpad until all the party was on the same spot before trying to jump the ridge. You can now just whip and touch the stake across the ridge and the rest of the party will follow automatically.
- You can double tap to dash. This is kind of hard to pull off and it only happened to me when I didn't want to.

Party:
- AI seems smarter - more aggressive and less likely to get "stuck" behind ledges, walls, etc
- Party members can now go off screen without preventing you from walking further. When they are off screen, they will eventually come back or you can force them to come back by opening in the ring menu.
- There is no multiplayer support.

Misc:
- There was a small glitch in the SNES version when you talked to an Inn Keeper, if you were slightly to the left or to the right instead of centered when talking to the Inn Keeper, you would be misaligned in bed too. This glitch is no more.

So in other words, not much, but enough that it would be interesting for me to play through again.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
That was one of the worst held embargoes I've seen in quite some time. Anyway, if anyone missed out on IGN's leaked footage of Type-0, here it is mirrored: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoNAQGWugtA

EDIT:

And here is the FFXV TGS trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT3dyanB3pk (No, seriously)

EDIT 2: And the hits keep on rolling in:

quote:

Tetsuya Nomura Is No Longer Directing Final Fantasy XV

In reviewing our development structure, we have decided to assign Hajime Tabata as the new director for Final Fantasy XV. Currently, Tabata and the entire development team are working, whole-heartedly, towards completing the production of Final Fantasy XV and ensuring the delivery of the highest quality Final Fantasy title to date. We invite every one of our fans to view the fruits of our labor through Final Fantasy XV's demo, and promise to present a game that further surpasses expectations when the finished product is released.

As the director of Final Fantasy XV, Tetsuya Nomura has mainly worked on the original concept for the story and universe in addition to creating the characters. Hereafter, he will be focusing his efforts on the production of titles that can only be made possible by Nomura, himself, and delivering products that exceed the quality of past titles, starting with another one of his representative projects, Kingdom Hearts III. Square Enix will continue to work on these titles with the best staff formation in an effort to deliver them to everyone as soon as possible and appreciates your continued support.

http://kotaku.com/tetsuya-nomura-is-no-longer-directing-final-fantasy-xv-1635707308

Sunning fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 18, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
OH poo poo, it's all real.

Oh and Type-0 looks really pretty.

EDIT: A trailer too?! I'm dead.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 18, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This game looks like a loving roadtrip and that's awesome.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
gently caress me when the trailer eventually lies like ff13 did.....

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Final Fantasy XV: Vento Aureo Game of the Year 2016

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
That looked like fantastic fun. The combat had a serious Xenoblade vibe to it, which is never a bad thing. I'd get it just based on that video alone, drat.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Holy. poo poo.

They expanded the party to 4 members instead of 3. Giant enemies. ROAD TRIPS.

gently caress it, I'm getting a PS4 the day this comes out.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That looked rad as poo poo.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Square, I love you.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Go back to KH3, Nomura. Get those Pixar/Marvel rights while you're at it, too.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The last FF game where you could drive a car was garbage, but everything else looks promising

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also this exists...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNgoEtVsc28

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

So not only are the main characters of XV models, they're also a boyband.

Seriously, the scenes of them driving looked like a music video.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I wasn't interested in this game at all before, but this trailer made me pretty excited. It's hard to explain why. It's like, this looks like the stupidest game ever, made by people who have absolutely no idea what they're doing, but meant in the nicest possible way.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh my god.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

The game won't look like that in the end. Square is as bad as Ubisoft when it comes to FF trailers.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Beef Waifu posted:

This game looks like a loving roadtrip and that's awesome.

I'm so stoked. Like, this is something I want but I never knew I wanted it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wonder what happened at square in the last like week because suddenly all of their projects have trailers and every FF game is coming to PC.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I wonder what happened at square in the last like week because suddenly all of their projects have trailers and every FF game is coming to PC.

Some saw some numbers and said "Holy poo poo ARR is doing loving great!"

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
Everything about that trailer was incredible, but most of all the music. I cannot believe how incredible the track in that trailer was. IMO it was even better than Somnus, which itself was pretty amazing. Wowzers. If that game even lives up to half of it's promise it's gonna be so good.

Also, Tetsuya Nomura is no longer directing the game, and Hajime Tabata took his place. In my opinion a move like that was a long time coming. The last game Nomura was involved in as heavily as FFXV that actually came out was like, what, KH2? And even that game took a long rear end time to come out.

I can't believe that a 2015 Japanese release for FFXV might actually happen...

Ometeotl posted:

The game won't look like that in the end. Square is as bad as Ubisoft when it comes to FF trailers.

It depends on how far off the game is. If we're getting a demo around march of next year, then what they're showing now can't be incredibly different from what we're gonna get in the final product. I mean, it's not like FFXIII's first trailer which was shown like years and years before anything even remotely playable. I could see, like, the character models being lower-poly and maybe even the lighting being a little less incredible. If I remember correctly S-E had some serious FFXIII bullshots that had these incredibly high-poly models in them that everyone was drooling over.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It seems Square's finally learned to give in to the silliness of its franchise and is giving us goofy road trip adventures for FF15. I'm all for it, though I wonder if it'll be more of a sandbox game or linear.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Mega64 posted:

It seems Square's finally learned to give in to the silliness of its franchise and is giving us goofy road trip adventures for FF15. I'm all for it, though I wonder if it'll be more of a sandbox game or linear.

The last we've heard it was gonna be open like Xenoblade but that was years ago. However going by that trailer unless there's some serious invisible wall-age those are a few huge open areas.

But I mean it's definitely gonna be a linear story like past FF games though. I figure if it's open it'll be open more or less like FF games pre-X were, where you could only really advance the story at one place but you could wander around and do random poo poo if you wanted.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Krad posted:

Go back to KH3, Nomura. Get those Pixar/Marvel rights while you're at it, too.

The press release about Nomura leaving the director role of FFXV is very interesting. It's a clear admission that development with Nomura leading the project was not working, even with Tabata as co-director. There's an implication that Nomura will strictly be on a producer role from now on, such as overseeing Kingdom Hearts games, and avoid more hands-on roles. Most interesting is that it came straight from the new CEO, Yosuke Matsuda, rather than the FFXV design leads or producer Shinji Hashimoto. Historically, that's usually not a great sign for the director in question.

I think SE would like to keep Nomura as a creative face, artist for the company, and an overseer of the Kingdom Hearts games. However, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up leaving the company in the near future after doing whatever he's obligated to do for KH3. In SE, the people who worked on extremely troubled projects have usually left the company or ended up demoted (before leaving anyway). Nobody wants to stick around and be known as 'the guy who hosed up and cost the company a lot of money.' It's just been the general trend for ex-SE project leads. That's one constant I've learned from the company culture of developers, such as Stig Asmussen leaving Sony Santa Monica after his game got cancelled and his team hit with layoffs, in which it's really difficult to get back to work when the place you make games is where your dream project went off rails.

As for Tabata, his career path has had quite the trajectory. Ten years ago, he was working on mobile games before moving onto PSP development. Now, he's directing mainline FF game on next-gen consoles. I guess a guy who works well with limitations is the perfect one to get FFXV out of development hell.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hey, if Nomura leaving XV gets KH3 out faster (it won't), it's all good.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, as much as I'd have liked to see a Nomura FFXV, if they feel the game under his lead is taking too long it's probably the right call. Hopefully this means KH3 comes out sooner, maybe, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Wasn't Type-0 originally called Agito?