Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Sorry, you seem to be citing names from something that never happened and was never made or released or remembered. Please correct this mistake.
I won't let anyone talk about Dirge of Cerberus in the past tense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nice! Thanks. Oh man there's actually a decent chunk of DLC in there I would buy. I'm glad I didn't buy the original one and end up paying loads of money for the DLC that's included in curtain call.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Tetsuya Nomorua

Nero the Sable, later transforms into a spider form called

Arachnero

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The only shame was that their leader broke the theme with White the Clean. Come on Weiss, take one for the team. Be Weiss the Blanc.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Voldo is a pretty good character and I'm glad he made it into Final Fantasy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Arachnero
That one pun made the entire game worth it. i laughed for like five minutes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Some news on Type-0 HD. It's being done by Hexadrive Studios who did Zone of the Enders collection HD, Okami HD, and helped with Zelda: Wind Waker HD. They also helped development in making Third Birthday, which used a lot of the same tools to make Type-0.

Type-0 will also launch with English and Japanese audio options. I don't know if they changed it last night, but FF13 will also have English/Japanese options for versions outside of Asia.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
The Steam version of FFIV is great and I really enjoy it.

On the topic of the XV names, I'd love for all the characters to have regular-rear end mundane names like Jack and John and Mary and their clothes of choice being t-shirts and jeans and having non-ridiculous hair. However, the environment would still be the same techno-babble fantasy land.

All that nerd rage :allears:

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Orgophlax posted:

Does the port of IV on Steam have the swap-out end game that the GBA version of IV had? It was really cool to be able to swap in the older story characters, and diving into that added dungeon for all their super weapons.

anyone?

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
I figure FFXV is going to be linear like FFX in that you go down a straight path before opening up past and locations at the very end. So they might be driving and have to fix a tire/get gas/get past a roadblock which gives you incentive to explore the area. Much of the driving footage we saw was on rails. Still, we shouldn't look too closely at the footage since the game still looks like it needs a lot more time. If it's anything like FFXIII's development, the creation of the demo might be the first time the development team has a clear idea of how their game will play and what features it will have.

I don't know how open the game world will be assuming its using Luminous and the features that come with it. Some of its technology we learned from the Luminous documentation won't scale well with larger environments, especially on console hardware. It's similar to how id Software's technical skills and technology, such as Megatextures, couldn't help Bethesda since those technologies don't scale well with open world game design. I guess they expected GTX680 level GPUs in next-gen consoles.

Anyway, it looks like Hexadrive is working on Type-0 HD. They're a very technically skilled developer known to work on ports and remasters. Their Okami port for the PS3 was downscaled from 4K. They recently helped Nintendo with Wind Waker HD.

Sunning fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 19, 2014

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It's the DS version, just ported onto Steam. I doubt they'd add that in just for that one thing, sorry dude.

You're not missing anything anyway other than the world's blandest cavedungeon and a bunch of piss-easy minibosses.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I know we just got a trailer focusing on a road trip, but I am not really worried about the game being too linear because of it. For all we know, scenes with the car might be pretty limited throughout the game as a whole and where ever it drops us off may not be linear at all. We have no idea yet. That plus SE has shown that they learned from at least some mistakes regarding being too linear in XIII. They have not learned as much as I would prefer but it is progress.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Tae posted:

Some news on Type-0 HD. It's being done by Hexadrive Studios who did Zone of the Enders collection HD, Okami HD, and helped with Zelda: Wind Waker HD. They also helped development in making Third Birthday, which used a lot of the same tools to make Type-0.

Type-0 will also launch with English and Japanese audio options. I don't know if they changed it last night, but FF13 will also have English/Japanese options for versions outside of Asia.

That all sounds good to me. I think one of the reasons that dual-audio wasn't included in the original release of XIII was because nearly every cutscene was pre-rendered, even ones that used in-game assets (although with higher quality character models and more anti-aliasing), and those were lip-synced to either Japanese or English.

The sequels were designed to fit on a single disc for the 360 versions, and to allow for different costumes, so they used in-engine cutscenes instead. This is why they were able to have a Japanese voice pack for Lightning Returns without it being almost the size of the game itself. It was probably released as DLC so they could make more use of the limited disc space on the 360, and to keep the features at parity with the PS3 version.

I don't know how Steam handles installing other languages, but I expect the download will be enormous, especially if they haven't replaced the pre-rendered cutscenes with in-engine ones. The Last of Us doubled in size when they changed the cutscenes from 720p30 to 1080p60, so I suspect that for FFXIII they'll be using the same videos as the PS3 version, i.e. 1080p30 for CGI and 720p30 for regular ones. There will be a much bigger improvement for XIII-2 and LR since you'll be seeing much more of the game in 1080p60, and the frame rate of the original versions was pretty terrible.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tae posted:

I assume by ZoE HD you mean they're the ones that cleaned up the port of 2nd Runner not the ones who originally worked on that shitpile. Okami HD is amazing and runs at something like 1440p which is then down sampled to 1080 and looks stunning.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

No, it doesn't include the GBA additions like that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sakurazuka posted:

I assume by ZoE HD you mean they're the ones that cleaned up the port of 2nd Runner not the ones who originally worked on that shitpile.

Yeah. The original ZOE2 HD port was by the assholes who made The Conduit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Do you have a source for this claim? It might not be as clear cut as the rest of the sprites but there wasn't much androgynous about artwork used to promote the game.

Sure there was, unless you mean the US art which wasn't actually officially licensed. FF1 was mostly either tiny SD blobs or Amano artwork and I don't think you're going to say Amano artwork isn't fairly androgynous even for characters with clearly defined genders!

Later atwork continues the trend. Here's the one they used for Dawn of Souls for example:

As mentioned, the same remake has both male and female names in the auto-naming scheme as well as using "Rosa" as the example name. In the novelization of FF1 they put out the character is a female. The original White Wizard sprite is pretty masculine but they've softened it with every revision (thanks to the magic of sprites) to emphasize it. The Japanese fandom appears to straight-up consider the character a woman, probably because every successive white mage except Minwu has been one.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 19, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
FF1 was based on DnD, so obviously any problems matching up specific genders to character sprites come from the fact that most people are lovely artists, or just steal random images from magazines and tape them to their character sheet.

(I always assumed Red Mage was a woman.)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Actually, 8-Bit Theater had an all-male party, so if we're talking FF1 maybe that counts??

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

There's also an all-male party in my fanfiction. You guys should go check it out.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Butt Ghost posted:

There's also an all-male party in my fanfiction. You guys should go check it out.

My fanfiction combines all the narratives into one, so Noctis Weatherus Butz Highwind and his friends are members of the eco-terrorist group THE WARRIORS OF LIGHT, trying to save the world from Meteor in 13 days as well as defeat the gorgeous androgynous bad guy just before 15 new villains appear at the last second.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Starring Hildibrand Manderville as all roles.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

My fanfiction combines all the narratives into one, so Noctis Weatherus Butz Highwind and his friends are members of the eco-terrorist group THE WARRIORS OF LIGHT, trying to save the world from Meteor in 13 days as well as defeat the gorgeous androgynous bad guy just before 15 new villains appear at the last second.

Still makes more sense than Kingdom Hearts.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

Don't need fanfiction, just play Curtain Call and make up the narrative in your head as you play.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
If FFIV steam has multiple difficulty options, it's not the DS version but the mobile version ported.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
EDGE MAVERICK, come to save the day of the night sky.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Remember Fayt Leingod?

JRPG people have silly names. It's just a thing on the checklist, like "sword" and "weird hair".

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
"Butz" should've been the official English name in V.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

Remember Fayt Leingod?

JRPG people have silly names. It's just a thing on the checklist, like "sword" and "weird hair".

It wasn't so bad in XII. How did we go from Ashe, Balthier and Basch to Words(Snow), Words(Fang) and French Word(Vanille)?

I also keep wanting to spell it "Feng" but that's because I got her confused with the dude from Tekken 5. Also Fang was the least memorable part of the whole party.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Krad posted:

"Butz" should've been the official English name in V.

I'm still waiting for Dinglberries to make their triumphant return.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

It wasn't so bad in XII. How did we go from Ashe, Balthier and Basch to Words(Snow), Words(Fang) and French Word(Vanille)?

I also keep wanting to spell it "Feng" but that's because I got her confused with the dude from Tekken 5. Also Fang was the least memorable part of the whole party.

Balthier's real name is Ffamran. Let's not pretend that's particularly a step up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite jrpg name is Twice H. Peaceman.

fuckin love that name

NikkolasKing posted:

you do realize the name 'ashe' is totally derived from a word, right

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

you do realize the name 'ashe' is totally derived from a word, right

To be fair her real name is Ashelia B'nargin Dalmasca!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair her real name is Ashelia B'nargin Dalmasca!

That is honestly worse.

Generic Fantasy mishmash syllable names are the worst and FFXII is loving full of them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That is honestly worse.

Generic Fantasy mishmash syllable names are the worst and FFXII is loving full of them.

What, you don't like Basch fon Ronsenburg, Ffamran mied Bunansa, Vossler York Azelas and Zargabaath?

Zargabaath. Zargabaaaaath. Gotta roll the a.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

NikkolasKing posted:

Fang is awesome. :colbert: There's only six playable characters and they're all memorable, so I'm not sure what you mean. Fang earns bonus points for the Snow-punching, and she's really useful in battle. Her schtick with Vanille is kinda boring, but most of the story is boring so whatever.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Zidane's a good name. As is Vivi, Garnet, Steiner...

Not Dagger, though, cripes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, at least Snow and Fang are names people could possibly have, at least as surnames, and are reasonable for voice actors to pronounce without fifteen takes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terper posted:

Zidane's a good name. As is Vivi, Garnet, Steiner...

Not Dagger, though, cripes.

Dagger is worth it just for the scene where you name her.

"Hm, so this is called a dagger, huh? I will call myself ASSLORD."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

ImpAtom posted:

What, you don't like Basch fon Ronsenburg, Ffamran mied Bunansa, Vossler York Azelas and Zargabaath?

Zargabaath. Zargabaaaaath. Gotta roll the a.

I played XI so I always thought that name was Xarcabard. Then I remember it took me four years to get Valor Surcoat and I start crying. :smith: