Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

So many hours wasted on this :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
Does anybody know if DLC songs are playable on Online Versus mode?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
If both you and your opponent have the song downloaded, then it'll show up as an option. And obviously it has to be a BMS song, since you can't play field songs in versus mode.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So here's a bit more of the engine showcase from TGS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GQMaGZYaQs

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Onmi posted:

So here's a bit more of the engine showcase from TGS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GQMaGZYaQs

:holymoley: This is some good stuff.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Onmi posted:

Well hot drat, it looks like there's actually a playable build! Seems pretty unlikely that that whole things was a pre-generated mock-up.

They seemed to be switching characters, but it was only for a few seconds each time, so hard to tell if it was actually switching characters or just using some sort of assist.

Edit:

You can watch it in HD here (sorry, it's Kotaku): http://kotaku.com/behold-final-fantasy-xvs-first-live-gameplay-footage-1637115048
And this clarifies some of the below details a bit. Apparently if you just drive your car through the demo, it'll take about an hour. But apparently you can walk too, and if you walk and explore they expect it to take 3-4 hours. So it can be a bro wilderness hike instead of a bro roadtrip.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 20, 2014

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

quote:

From Type-0 livestream:
Duscae is a toponym, there's an area in the game world.
Demo length is about 1 hour, but players might play for about 3 hours.
There's gonna be a bit of overworld and a dungeon.
Car's in! Chocobos might also be.
No boss battles, because they're a big deal in the game.
Trying to make distribution date to be the same as Type 0 HD release date.
Ignis was driving in the trailer but you can do it yourself, or you can leave it on auto, so Noctis' friends will drive it for you.

See that Adamantoise? You can fight him.
But it will take a long while.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Driveable car with an option to nap in the backseat. goty

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Onmi posted:

They're fighting FF2 imps/goblins in that video. FF15 secretly being FF2-2 confirmed. Noctis is emo as hell because he's Leon's descendent. :v:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

They also said that if they have time, they'll put chocobos in the demo. This confirms that they're in the full game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
The combat system reminds me a lot of The Last Story. I don't know how much of a good thing that is. Last Story is awesome, but the combat is very prone to turning into an incomprehensible clusterfuck, thankfully it's also so piss-easy that you'll win by just letting the AI kill everything.

Could have used polish. Assuming FF15 applies that polish...yeah, a good thing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Evil Fluffy posted:

They're fighting FF2 imps/goblins in that video. FF15 secretly being FF2-2 confirmed. Noctis is emo as hell because he's Leon's descendent. :v:

Or FF5, since Garula is in as well

And FF5 is the first game Nomura worked on, as a monster artist.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Regarding Curtain Call, do you unlock songs besides EMS ones? I looked up a list and I don't have any Chocobo Dungeon songs.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Here's the video without having to give Kotak views: http://www.viddler.com/embed/48fd3806/?f=1&autoplay=false&player=mini&disablebranding=0;offset=0&autoplay=0

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Kurtofan posted:

Regarding Curtain Call, do you unlock songs besides EMS ones? I looked up a list and I don't have any Chocobo Dungeon songs.

Yes, there are a couple songs that are not EMS that you unlock. I think it's just the spinoff games like Chocobo Dungeon, though.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Hey, those Chocobo Dungeon songs are pretty rad though. You also get Chaos Shrine again from the first game, which is the last unlockable song.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Onmi posted:

I hope the first minute's footage means Toad is still a status effect and you can drive the car with a group of toads.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Mega64 posted:

I hope the first minute's footage means Toad is still a status effect and you can drive the car with a group of toads.

Don't you mean Toad returning as a status effect?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Translated details from the video can be found in this article:

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2014/09/final-fantasy-xv-demoed-at-tgs-more-information-expected-at-jump-festa-and-more-often/ posted:

One of the new features shown here are team-up attacks that happen spontaneously triggered by proximity with allies. Noctis is also able to avoid a goblin’s poison by using the Defend action, which causes him to automatically evade enemies, or auto-attack by holding down the Attack ability. These systems are different from the ones shown last E3 – everything shown today is more representative of what players can expect in the final product. Combat is action based but has been simplified to allow for a more user-friendly experience.

I'm not sure if I like this direction the combat's being taken in. There's no point complaining since I'll get a chance to try it for myself in a few months, and having auto-attack might not be any worse than constantly hammering the X button like in Kingdom Hearts. The timing of the block button was also incredibly generous, as long as you pressed it before the enemy hits you, instead of at the same time.

What I do like is the emphasis on your party members, especially if being near them grants you access to new moves, or protection if you're at critical health. The allies in the Kingdom Hearts series were so useless that you didn't even miss them in Birth by Sleep, so this looks like a step in the right direction.

The most recent footage is now running on the Luminous engine, and they plan to show more at the Jump Festa in December.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's a reason to be worried for sure, but I've got faith in Nomura's ability to create a good action RPG battle system at this point. Just gotta wait and see.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Terper posted:

It's a reason to be worried for sure, but I've got faith in Nomura's ability to create a good action RPG battle system at this point. Just gotta wait and see.

You mean that guy that just got kicked off the project

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tae posted:

You mean that guy that just got kicked off the project
Yeah, that guy. :v: I dunno, maybe Tabata's the one making the changes, but I'd imagine they have had these combat systems in different stages of planning and actual functionality before the shift happened, so who knows who's actually responsible for what things in the final product.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Some Japanese guy in CC online has 9999 rating :stare:

The second biggest I've seen was around 2000 4000, that guy must be some kind of magician.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 20, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What's the music that plays in Curtain Call's Card museum?

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Recollection, from FFXI. It's pretty generic 'emotional cutscene' music.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I really like it :shobon:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

For some reason swiping to the right is my biggest weakness, I so often get a "Bad" on them when I could swear I did it correctly. Guess I somehow swipe a bit upwards or something since it's in the same direction as my hand.

Also went against some Japanese guy who had Lightning as their leader and insisted on picking Blinded by Light. We played it, I got my first ever Perfect Chain on Expert in multiplayer and beat him 980,000 to 960,000 after which he left. :smug:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I felt like an rear end in a top hat for picking Dancing Mad online, we were both terrible but I lost anyway :negative:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I feel like an rear end in a top hat when I win via the enemy getting Judgement'd because that poo poo is ludicrous.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
The FFXV demo looks rough like it was the first time they've gotten close to alpha. I guess that's a good thing if the demo is what is forcing the development team to make progress. It's how FFXIII started to come together.

The UI and controls are very unusual. It's different from the e3 2013 trailer which had Kingdom Heart style action menu. However, that menu might have been placeholder as a part of pre-rendered footage. The scrolling weapons and magic menu didn't show up in the demo and may have been entirely removed.

Based off the demo footage and Tabata's comments, that menu on the left looks like a listing for which ability is targeting what enemy, similar to an MMORPG targeting menu. For the combat itself, Tabata said there is a dedicated button for attacking, evasion, and other special abilities like magic, and the system automatically locks onto a target. In the demo it looked like you pressed a button to perform an action, such as attacking a goblin or using a fire attack against the behemoth, depending on what the left hand menu is set at. So rather than a free-form action RPG, you go through various pre-canned actions, such as attacking, evading, combos, team attacks, or using magic, depending on what the context is.

It would be a good compromise to simplify the control scheme, have attractive animations, and streamline the gameplay. Nevertheless, it looks a lot more like Type-0 than Kingdom Hearts which might be the result of Nomura's departure. I wouldn't be surprised if Type-0's Takutsugu Nakazawa has been added to the project as well as the battle director. It seems like they're moving away from weapon selection system we first saw in 2006 towards a much different set of mechanics. I'm not sure I'd want an action RPG where much of the combat is automated and scripted.

I hope that's just a work-in-progress and not indicative of the final product since they can add Type-0 style combat subsystems to it. Then again, the original design must have been difficult to implement or just not fun considering how long it's taken and how drastically the game has changed. It might have been like trying to design a game around Final Form Sora all the time.

Overall, I'm very happy with this year's TGS. It's not so much the games themselves but the change in attitude for many Japanese developers. They're a lot more open to their audience and willing to show off footage for games that are far away from release. It's crazy to think how SE would host a closed mega-theater when most companies would immediately upload a trailer to youtube for maximum impact.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

Translated details from the video can be found in this article:

I'm not sure if I like this direction the combat's being taken in. There's no point complaining since I'll get a chance to try it for myself in a few months, and having auto-attack might not be any worse than constantly hammering the X button like in Kingdom Hearts. The timing of the block button was also incredibly generous, as long as you pressed it before the enemy hits you, instead of at the same time.

What I do like is the emphasis on your party members, especially if being near them grants you access to new moves, or protection if you're at critical health. The allies in the Kingdom Hearts series were so useless that you didn't even miss them in Birth by Sleep, so this looks like a step in the right direction.

The most recent footage is now running on the Luminous engine, and they plan to show more at the Jump Festa in December.

I personally think that all of the belly-aching over the newest news is a little premature. But I understand why it's happening. The people excited for the new Final Fantasy (mostly) came to terms with it being a fast-paced Kingdom Hearts style action game, but now that seems to have changed a bit.

I'm not too worried. It's definitely different than before, that's for sure, but frankly the promise of a deep, complicated Ninja Gaiden-esque battle system wasn't what got me excited for FFXV in the first place. The most important thing for me is that the fighting is smooth, enjoyable, and sufficiently varied. The last part seems a given, because it looks like you're able to do "team-up" moves with your buddies and that those moves vary wildly depending on the context i.e. Noctis' proximity to the enemies, his proximity to his buddy, what type of enemy it is, what the enemy is doing, even how much health Noctis has remaining as shown in the new trailer where he does a "team-up" move with two of his buddies when one of the huge enemies is about to deal what I assume would've been the killing blow.

If anything this makes me more excited because it finally seems like they know exactly what they want the game to be and play like and they can finally loving talk about it instead of being all like "well yeah I know you saw some poo poo in that trailer but we can't tell you exactly what's happening because poo poo can change." Now they're more like "Well this is how it's gonna be because we got a goddamn demo coming out in like half a year."

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

I felt like an rear end in a top hat for picking Dancing Mad online, we were both terrible but I lost anyway :negative:

I had three people pick Dancing Mad in a row, it was like running a marathon. Personally I just random every time, keeps it fresh and you don't ever see the less popular tracks otherwise. Surprisingly not a single One-Winged Angel so far, now I'm not even sure if it's on the multiplayer list.

Either way thanks largely to the track variety, online versus in CC is the most fun I've had with a video game in a long while. Judgement wins are the only negative thing so far, I don't really mind losing to it because it just means I should've been more accurate with my hits.

Pierson posted:

I feel like an rear end in a top hat when I win via the enemy getting Judgement'd because that poo poo is ludicrous.

I'm a big softie apparently so if if I get 2 of them in one track I tend to miss a few notes on purpose to not make it completely one-sided. I'm a bit surprised the "No ex-bursts" option is there only for Ultimate.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 20, 2014

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does the level of your party matter at all online? I've only played one game online but his party was like 60 levels higher than mine. I couldn't tell if it mattered or not though because he was really bad

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Does the level of your party matter at all online? I've only played one game online but his party was like 60 levels higher than mine. I couldn't tell if it mattered or not though because he was really bad

I'm pretty sure stats and abilities function as per normal. I'd imagine most of them don't make much of a difference though, since beating enemies and moving faster don't net you anything.

Heals and skills like Brace which saves you from death once seem quite useful but I haven't noticed much of a difference, I've been beaten by a full lvl 1 group before. I guess the low max HP would be the biggest disadvantage?

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 20, 2014

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_C_8F1usDo

This music in the trailer was soooooo good. The soundtrack for XV definitely has to use live instrumentation, right? As in, here's an orchestra playing the music? I forget, did XIII actually do that or not? I know for a fact that most of the music in it's sequels wasn't because most of the music in those games was too weird but Shimomura definitely has a more classical sound.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I trusted Nomura's vision. I've liked every game I've played from that guy. But Tabata is in the opposite well. I REALLY hope this works out.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 20, 2014

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mischitary posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_C_8F1usDo

This music in the trailer was soooooo good. The soundtrack for XV definitely has to use live instrumentation, right? As in, here's an orchestra playing the music? I forget, did XIII actually do that or not? I know for a fact that most of the music in it's sequels wasn't because most of the music in those games was too weird but Shimomura definitely has a more classical sound.

Very few bits in XIII are from live instruments. Standard for the FF series (FFVIII onwards) is live recordings for mostly the openings and credits. The rest is generally synth, and sound libraries (though there are exceptions). IIRC, the first live instrument in the series, was for the xylophone used in VIII's world map theme.

Too early to tell with XV - there's no technical reason they couldn't.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 20, 2014

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

This is probably the most Shimomura sounding track yet. It could have been ripped out of the KH soundtrack if not for the Crystal Theme coming in at the end.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Himuro posted:

I trusted Nomura's vision. I've liked every game I've played from that guy. But Tabata is in the opposite well. I REALLY hope this works out.

Nomura's main problem is that he's so attention-deficit that his "vision" changes from week to week, which is very bad for project management. I don't like Tabata much either, but it's becoming clear that Nomura was a serious detriment to this project and maybe under the b-lister it'll finally get finished, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Seeing XIV in action and knowing that a demo will be out in half a year certainly makes the game feel a lot more real than any trailer before made it seem.

Meanwhile in Curtain Call, I was thinking to myself how glad I was that the gimmicks of the later Dark Notes were sequestered off to Vs mode, but then I got a quest medley where bosses would trigger the spinning slide notes :negative: