Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

I said it before but the combat system is sounding more and more like Lightning Returns which really was not a bad combat system, although one which could have used a bit of polish. IF they're adjusting that then it could end up being something pretty enjoyable.

No see they're talking about streamlining it AND NOW IT'S RUINED AND FOR CASUALS FOREVER.

Jesus you nerds are some fatalistic, panicky weirdos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I said it before but the combat system is sounding more and more like Lightning Returns which really was not a bad combat system, although one which could have used a bit of polish. IF they're adjusting that then it could end up being something pretty enjoyable.

Lightning Returns' combat was pretty cool but it wasn't in the same zip code as anything real-time, more like some wacky mutant Parasite Eve. Your actual maneuverability in combat was extremely limited - most of your movement consisted of short-range dodges from the square meter of ground you were rooted to or rocketing across the screen thanks to Lightning's lock-on. Then there was the whole Stagger thing, which hasn't even been a whisper of a suggestion for FFXV.

I didn't like Crisis Core's combat very much but I'll just stick to "tentatively pessimistic" until we get an actual proof of concept for FFXV. Honestly, I'll consider it an improvement on CC if enemies just don't get unblockable, undodgeable super-attacks that freeze you in place as they wind up.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

It would be interesting to see what Versus XIII would have been like if it had been released on time, i.e. around the same time as FFXIII. It would have used the Crystal Tools engine, which as we've seen can barely handle anything more complex than corridors with pretty skyboxes (although Gran Pulse was pretty impressive) and required battle transitions. The 2011 trailer also showed that it had the really clunky movement from the XIII trilogy, and there would also have been only three party members.

I'm glad the game has been given room to breathe on the new consoles, especially since XIII had to be pared back to such a huge degree because of development roadblocks and engine limitations.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
So what was the deal with Crystal Tools? Was it only really good at making pretty things rather than practical applications like not having hallways and battle transitions? Or did the developement just be plain hosed and the designers just gave up and submitted a sub-par product?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

How Rude posted:

So what was the deal with Crystal Tools? Was it only really good at making pretty things rather than practical applications like not having hallways and battle transitions? Or did the developement just be plain hosed and the designers just gave up and submitted a sub-par product?

They did make the first version of Final Fantasy XIV with it, and that was a horribly unoptimised mess that never got ported to the PS3. A Realm Reborn was made with a new engine specifically for it, since having one engine for both single player spectacle RPGs and full-blown MMOs is a pretty bad idea.

However, they did use the same engine for Dragon Quest X, which was released on PC, Wii U, and even the original Wii (and can be streamed to the 3DS). Maybe it's just the less demanding art style, but I'm surprised they pulled that off. According to Wikipedia, only FFXIV, DQX, and the XIII trilogy used this engine.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Terper posted:

You know what we haven't had enough of yet, that's right, Tabata talking about FFXV stuff, this time an interview with Eurogamer where
oh.
You're not very good at making this seem like a good idea, mr Tabata.

So... Final Fantasy: 40 hour quicktime event edition?

If you had told me that quote was abut a mobile game I'd have believed it. Maybe he was confused and thought the interview was about All the Bravest.

On the upside, no matter how badly SE fucks up FF15: One Player One Button, Xenoblade still looks amazing and Monolith Soft is safely with Nintendo and nowhere near SE's insanity. :buddy:

PhilippAchtel posted:

Oh hey, another gameplay image has been released:

Fake. That image isn't nearly washed out and grey enough nor does the hero look like he's getting ready to go to a Papa Roach concert. :colbert:

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

the way they've talked about the combat system doesn't make it seem interesting. Some people have stated that it doesn't seem like a good combat system. Sorry for pooping on the unfinished video game you are so invested in.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No see they're talking about streamlining it AND NOW IT'S RUINED AND FOR CASUALS FOREVER.

I agree that overreacting is dumb but it's pretty silly to get so irrationally upset about other people posting as well. Besides, posting in this thread automatically qualifies everyone as a nerd so lol at trying to use that as an insult towards others.

Nothing is RUINED FOREVER but there's no denying that "the game is played by pressing one button" sounds like a dumb concept for a game like this if that is actually all there is to it. I doubt even the most casual of players are going to play a full-length RPG if there's nothing more to it. But again, we'll see, I can't imagine it's as stupid as it sounds.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The combat style he seems to be going for does not appeal to me. In an actiony game like what we've been shown I want my actions to be tied to different buttons, so the character will do exactly what I want him to when I tell him to do it. Maybe he isn't explaining it well, or it will work better than it sounds, but for now I'm going to go back to being pessimistic.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

How Rude posted:

Even after dissecting FFXIV 1.0, we'll never know for sure but two major stumbling blocks they admitted in reports were focusing on high-end visuals over performance and creating tools for a variety of genres without knowing the specific technical demands of each individual game. FFvsXIII/FFXV and FFXIV: ARR ended up using new game engines. The key people behind Crystal Tools, such as Taku Murata who did great work for Matsuno's games, have been sidelined or ended up leaving the company. In general, SE has quite a bit of turnover in their technical department over the past few years.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm not a nerd.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Attitude Indicator posted:

the way they've talked about the combat system doesn't make it seem interesting. Some people have stated that it doesn't seem like a good combat system. Sorry for pooping on the unfinished video game you are so invested in.

How can they say it's not a good combat system if literally no one has played it or shown it, that is the question no one is answering

because a lot of good action rpgs use one button in the same description but I guess someone's gotta bump the FF thread until FF13 comes out

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Lightning Returns' combat was pretty cool but it wasn't in the same zip code as anything real-time, more like some wacky mutant Parasite Eve. Your actual maneuverability in combat was extremely limited - most of your movement consisted of short-range dodges from the square meter of ground you were rooted to or rocketing across the screen thanks to Lightning's lock-on. Then there was the whole Stagger thing, which hasn't even been a whisper of a suggestion for FFXV.

This is LR's combat at its very best, and I'll be honest, it is pretty loving cool.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

quote:

"Another example is in the combat," explains Tabata. "With the hardware specifications of the newer consoles, it's possible to set it up so you have different enemies and different choices of attacks you can enter in, but I want to simplify that. It'll basically be a one-button action, and the AI intuitively outputs an action that kind of satisfies, gives you that instant gratification, and it connects with the simple touch of a button. I myself am not getting any younger. I don't want to be frantically pushing buttons. I also want to utilise the intelligence of the hardware spec, and not have to go through too much hassle or trouble in order to execute moves."

Basically,

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Kanfy posted:

Nothing is RUINED FOREVER but there's no denying that "the game is played by pressing one button" sounds like a dumb concept for a game like this if that is actually all there is to it.

Yeah, you're right already. It's not pushing one button all the time at all.

If I properly understood something posted earlier, you hold it down and watch the game beat itself. How fun. :confuoot:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Terper posted:

This is LR's combat at its very best, and I'll be honest, it is pretty loving cool.

Some of those damage numbers are bananas, clearly I was doing something wrong when I played.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Tae posted:

How can they say it's not a good combat system if literally no one has played it or shown it, that is the question no one is answering

because a lot of good action rpgs use one button in the same description but I guess someone's gotta bump the FF thread until FF13 comes out
No one is saying it's bad. They're saying it sounds bad.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Tae posted:

indeed, how can someone possibly get an impression of something.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

Hey theatrhythm nerds, does anyone have a map with black crystals as the reward??

We can battle each other and then I can get sweet crystals, thanks:

FC: 4897 5956 4819

I have one, but the bosses only award 1 Black Shard and 2 Turquoise ones. The RNG has not been kind to me.

FC: 1418 7847 7173 if you're interested still.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Take solace in the fact that, no matter what, Final Fantasy XV will be the worst game in the series.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUOOgNzOv4

in case anyone was wondering, years later and the comments on this video are still hilarious

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Krad posted:

Basically,

Actually, I would call Nomura's now cancelled FFvsXIII as the equivalent of Homer's concept car, which suffered from feature creep and schizophrenic direction, rather than the pared down FFXV we have now. At the end of the day, Homer still had a live demonstration at a public event. And so did Tabata.

Much of this controversy would have been avoided if the e3 2013 trailer didn't give the impression that the old combat design was still in use. We know that Tabata joined development in June 2012 and began rebooting the game into a new direction. We've clearly gone from a Kingdom Hearts style ARPG to Type-0 game where the emphasis is on positioning in battle and preparation before hand.

Or better yet, they should have publically cancelled FFvsXIII in 2012 and said some of its ideas would be used incorporated into future games. I imagine people would still be very upset about the cancellation but it wouldn't have affected FFXV as much. Even if he was put on to fast track Kingdom Hearts 3, Nomura would probably have left the company if FFvsXIII was cancelled publically like that but now it seems they were delaying inevitable.

However, FFXV wouldn't have the baggage it has now if they had been more straightforward about the game's problems and new direction. I imagine they were under pressure to show games for the next-gen at e3 2013 and Tabata's prototype needed more time. Or Nomura got some extra time to get his ideas to work but it failed and management eventually gave full support to Tabata's direction? Or the game was a FFXIV 1.0 level disaster internally and they couldn't show more than target render footage and outdated builds? It would explain year long radio silence while the game dramatically shifted direction. I guess we'll never know for sure.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's not so much 'the combat is simple and will therefore suck', it's the way he says it. It sounds like he can't be hosed playing anything more complicated than Flappy Bird, so that's the way all games should be.

It reeks of a lazy, lowest common denominator attitude to design.

I mean I'm not saying that it will be the worst Final Fantasy game (because how could it be), but it's not a great sign.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUOOgNzOv4

in case anyone was wondering, years later and the comments on this video are still hilarious
Years later and I still dunno what to think of this song. It's hilarious and great, but it's also kind of appalling to actually listen to.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm still so stunned by how great curtain call is

Also I have a 3 black shard map that also has the sub-boss give out that 6x exp thing right before a map with at least two mystic pots on it

Basically the final dungeon of it goes sub-boss-> mystic pots -> boss

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's actually great cause that's one of the dudes from DMC3's songs.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Crazy Chocobo is a terrible rear end song and the only people who enjoy it enjoy annoying others by ironically claiming it is quality much like Eternity, since it is self-evidently a poo poo song

It's not even that I don't ironically appreciate stuff, I do, I just man do I hate it when people disingenuously claim crazy Chocobo is good as opposed to "hilariously bad"

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
FFXV's combat is starting to sound like a rhythm game. Gonna tap that one button to the beat.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I ingenuously claim Crazy Chocobo is extremely good - because it is.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Toxxupation posted:

Crazy Chocobo is a terrible rear end song and the only people who enjoy it enjoy annoying others by ironically claiming it is quality much like Eternity, since it is self-evidently a poo poo song

It's not even that I don't ironically appreciate stuff, I do, I just man do I hate it when people disingenuously claim crazy Chocobo is good as opposed to "hilariously bad"

I enjoy Crazy Chocobo.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Toxxupation posted:

But the first Jordan theme is actually really good :confused:

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 23, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

It reeks of a lazy, lowest common denominator attitude to design.

... yes, but we're talking about Final Fantasy here. That is literally every Final Fantasy game. That is the entire point of them. They are RPGs designed to cater to the casual crowd who want low-stress RPG experiences.

I mean if you were going into this expecting a deep and interesting combat system, even in its original version, you were in for a deep surprise. It is a Final Fantasy game. They are literally catering to the lowest common denominator, dressing up incredibly simple (and often literally broken) gameplay in nice visuals, great music and occasionally engaging design.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 23, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Toxxupation posted:

It's almost like some people enjoy hilariously over the top songs!

Maybe you just need to ride that chocobo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ImpAtom posted:

... yes, but we're talking about Final Fantasy here. That is literally every Final Fantasy game. That is the entire point of them. They are RPGs designed to cater to the casual crowd who want low-stress RPG experiences.

And VII, VIII, IX and arguably X and XII hit that sweet spot. And they kept going.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ImpAtom posted:

Ffviii is the lone notable exception, and actually ffxii, since you're basically coding AI scripts as gameplay

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

And VII, VIII, IX and arguably X and XII hit that sweet spot. And they kept going.

I will point out that Final Fantasy XIII was released with an Easy Mode in Japan due to complaints over its difficulty and even people in the US complained about its difficulty/unfair bosses/whatever.

The sweet spot for you is not necessarily the sweet spot for the casual RPG crowd who very often will not interact with any mechanic beyond the absolute most basic.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

BlitzBlast posted:

No I'm good

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Crazy Chocobo is an unironically amazing song.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

I don't think that he can ride in this rodeo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Toxxupation posted:

No I'm good

Everybody's gonna want to ride his chocobo :allears: