Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
I try to play the PSP version of FFT but the slowdown and how it fucks up the sound bugs me. I am that petty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

I try to play the PSP version of FFT but the slowdown and how it fucks up the sound bugs me. I am that petty.

Play the psp version of Tactics Ogre instead.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sefal posted:

To be quite honest, I had way more fun with Drakengard 3. Except for the final boss of D3, gently caress that boss. And the framerate drops. Lightning returns bored me really quickly. combat was okay but I just couldn't get in the story of LR. But yeah it's awesome that's its an homage to D1. It's a shame Drakengard 3 wasn't as good as NIER.
I want another game in the Drakengard universe. I hope that if there's a next game. it will be in the vein of NIER.

Man D3 isn't even as good as Drakengard 1, let alone an actually good game like NIER. It's like they didn't go as hateful or hard as they did in the original but didn't make an actually good game like they did with NIER so it's just in the middle and kind of meh for it all.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Play the psp version of Tactics Ogre instead.

I really wish they'd put this on iOS. Even if it did apparently remove a bunch of the fun, broken as poo poo, stuff the SFC/PSX versions had.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I feel like everybody who says Drakengard 3 is bad is like that kid who wanted a N64 for his birthday with Superman 64 after seeing the oh so glowing reviews about it then complaining that its bad.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gologle posted:

I feel like everybody who says Drakengard 3 is bad is like that kid who wanted a N64 for his birthday with Superman 64 after seeing the oh so glowing reviews about it then complaining that its bad.

God forbid someone call a bad game bad even when they expected it to be bad.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

so is Drakengard 3 bad?

i never picked it up cause i figured Nier was an insane fluke and I guess I was right?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nier is the biggest fluke of Cavia's career and Drakengard 3 is a game where you can literally count the frames as they struggle to chug on.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cake Attack posted:

so is Drakengard 3 bad?

i never picked it up cause i figured Nier was an insane fluke and I guess I was right?

It's bad but not like as bad as Drakengard 1. The first game is bad in such a unique and hateful way that it's interesting. D3 is bad in a really bland way. It's more playable than the original but just by a little.

Nier is the most insane fluke in video game history.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 22, 2014

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

It's better than Drakengard 1. It's not hard to be better than Drakengard 1. No one plays these games for the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NIER is monkeys at typewriters brought to life.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Drakengard 3 can at least be called playable, unlike the first game. You aren't expected to take on hundreds upon hundreds of the exact same enemy in the course of a single stage and for that, I can appreciate it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

If you're playing on a PSP and not a Vita you can use homebrew to enable the fan-patch that fixes the slowdown.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I couldn't even finish the Dark Ids LP of Drakengard 1. I'd hope upon hope that they improved upon it on the third one.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
If I am reading the wikipedia article for Drakengard correctly, there are four endings, labeled "2nd ending" through "5th ending", and that's funny

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Leper Residue posted:

I couldn't even finish the Dark Ids LP of Drakengard 1. I'd hope upon hope that they improved upon it on the third one.

They did not.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Sefal posted:

To be quite honest, I had way more fun with Drakengard 3. Except for the final boss of D3, gently caress that boss. And the framerate drops. Lightning returns bored me really quickly. combat was okay but I just couldn't get in the story of LR. But yeah it's awesome that's its an homage to D1. It's a shame Drakengard 3 wasn't as good as NIER.
I want another game in the Drakengard universe. I hope that if there's a next game. it will be in the vein of NIER.

Yeah but that's the thing that I loved about LR. The story varied from incredibly stupid but somewhat endearing to terrible but there was tons of stuff to do in that game that didn't have anything to do with the story. With Drakengard 3 it was just playing through the story. And it was a technical nightmare in the worst way. LR was also a technical mess and had an fps that could dip well below 30 at times but crucially it wasn't when it mattered, which was during battles. And even though everyone thought Motomu Toriyama was kind of a creep when he talked up how awesome it was gonna be to dress Lightning up in all these different outfits it turns out it's actually pretty sweet.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. It sucks that there's no definitive edition of such an incredible game. People will say that the PSX version is the definitive edition and that the new translation in the PSP version is bad but they're just nostalgic weirdos. I played FFT when it was first released on PSX and I have no qualms saying that the original translation is godawful.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Beef Waifu posted:

God forbid someone call a bad game bad even when they expected it to be bad.

Right, I have no problem with people doing that, but it's like, it started to seem like people actually thought this game would be good, when there was literally an entire company's worth of bad games to the contrary, and it was the third installment in a series of bad games. I don't have a problem with people saying its bad, I have a problem when people start to really complain it's bad. It's tough to describe, and I admittedly have not done a very good job of explaining it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gologle posted:

Right, I have no problem with people doing that, but it's like, it started to seem like people actually thought this game would be good, when there was literally an entire company's worth of bad games to the contrary, and it was the third installment in a series of bad games. I don't have a problem with people saying its bad, I have a problem when people start to really complain it's bad. It's tough to describe, and I admittedly have not done a very good job of explaining it.
Nier was a good game.

And maybe it's tough to describe because it's kind of dumb. It's okay to criticize a game. You don't have to pretend you're so much smarter than those plebians who bought a video game expecting to enjoy it and then did not. You can just live, Gologle. You can just be.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Sefal posted:

NIER is the The Wire of videogames. There will never be another action rpg as platonically perfect as NIER. And that's okay. I don't think the world is ready for another game like NIER.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Gologle posted:

Nier also got bad reviews and was great.

Gologle posted:

I didn't think it would be good. I thought it would be interesting. I know that Yoko Taro is capable of making an interesting game. Even with Drakengard it seems like he knew what he wanted to make, and he made it, but it was terrible. But at least I could see what he was trying to do. With Drakengard 3, I have no idea what point he was trying to make. Everyone wants to sleep with the sexy lady? A-alright? Ok?

Beef Waifu posted:

Nier is the biggest fluke of Cavia's career and Drakengard 3 is a game where you can literally count the frames as they struggle to chug on.

Drakengard 3 wasn't even made by Cavia but by the same guys who made Deadly Premonition (iirc).

The worst part about Drakengard 3 wasn't necessarily that it was bad to play but that it wasn't interesting. Like Nier was also pretty bad to play but it was interesting. Even the first Drakengard was loving crazy in a unique way. Like it was daring you to even play it, and it was hosed up in the weirdest ways. Drakengard 3 just seems like an average, bad Japanese action game.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Kulkasha posted:

NIER is the The Wire of videogames. There will never be another action rpg as platonically perfect as NIER. And that's okay. I don't think the world is ready for another game like NIER.

I like Nier and all, but it has got some bullshit to it. Like lots and lots of bullshit that people seem to just gloss over cause the story is cool. I'm not talking about the random quests, but poo poo like the dungeons being just plain unfun, the last dungeon being a gently caress you to modern gaming, probably more, too tired to remember them right now. Pretty much the only thing the game has going for it is strong characters and writing, the gameplay though, bleh.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Leper Residue posted:

I like Nier and all, but it has got some bullshit to it. Like lots and lots of bullshit that people seem to just gloss over cause the story is cool. I'm not talking about the random quests, but poo poo like the dungeons being just plain unfun, the last dungeon being a gently caress you to modern gaming, probably more, too tired to remember them right now. Pretty much the only thing the game has going for it is strong characters and writing, the gameplay though, bleh.

It depends. I didn't find them bad, just inoffensive. Not good, just inoffensive.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mischitary posted:

Drakengard 3 wasn't even made by Cavia but by the same guys who made Deadly Premonition (iirc).

The worst part about Drakengard 3 wasn't necessarily that it was bad to play but that it wasn't interesting. Like Nier was also pretty bad to play but it was interesting. Even the first Drakengard was loving crazy in a unique way. Like it was daring you to even play it, and it was hosed up in the weirdest ways. Drakengard 3 just seems like an average, bad Japanese action game.

Yeah, it was made by Access with Taro directing the game. Access also cannot seem to make a good game to save their lives since DP is just as loving bad to play DOD3. Nier is not a perfect game in its gameplay, but it is infinitely more intuitive than Drakengard 3 and doesn't just die half of the time when the maelstrom of projectiles happens. I also feel that DOD3 had lost some of the teeth that the first game and even Nier had. For all of the obvious Yoko Taro bullshit, there's still not a lot to the game that makes it that much different from a typical JRPG story. The game is slightly more self-aware, but most of the characters have like one shtick that they repeat constantly like the losers from DOD1 who were also terrible characters, but those weren't comedic like the new ones. I think for all of the characters there's like maybe three who are actually interesting and the rest just kinda... suck.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Finally beat FF13 tonight and its...ok, definitely has some pacing issues going on. Gran Pulse was alright till transmorpher pope shows up and tells you get yo rear end back to cocoon, really wished gran pulse had atleast another chapter in the story where you'd check out more ruins or deserted towns.

Grinding felt kinda awkward if you don't know passing which points reset enemies or had a good route. But man gil farming is pretty miserable with the practical sources coming from more specific enemies.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Drakes posted:

Finally beat FF13 tonight and its...ok, definitely has some pacing issues going on. Gran Pulse was alright till transmorpher pope shows up and tells you get yo rear end back to cocoon, really wished gran pulse had atleast another chapter in the story where you'd check out more ruins or deserted towns.

Really? I was the exact opposite. When I hit Oerba and saw that it was flooded with C'ieth I just went "oh gently caress me :suicide:"
I get what they were going for, but the sheer lack of people and towns really got to me in that game.

Drakes posted:

Grinding felt kinda awkward if you don't know passing which points reset enemies or had a good route. But man gil farming is pretty miserable with the practical sources coming from more specific enemies.

You got the Grow Egg? Cause gently caress grinding without the Grow Egg.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

SSNeoman posted:

Really? I was the exact opposite. When I hit Oerba and saw that it was flooded with C'ieth I just went "oh gently caress me :suicide:"
I get what they were going for, but the sheer lack of people and towns really got to me in that game.

Moms HD towns are tough to make.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Mischitary posted:

Yeah, it's pretty bad. It sucks that there's no definitive edition of such an incredible game. People will say that the PSX version is the definitive edition and that the new translation in the PSP version is bad but they're just nostalgic weirdos. I played FFT when it was first released on PSX and I have no qualms saying that the original translation is godawful.

iPad version is the definitive version. Unfortunately you have to have an iPad to play it. It'd be nice to see a new version on the PS4 or Vita or something though.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I dunno, for everything awful about D3 (including the framerate, aerial combat, not being as hosed up as D1 was, etc), I still really, really enjoyed it. All of your characters are thoroughly unlikable people and by the end of the game the only ones that I actually legit did not like at all were Three, Octa, and maybe Decadus; everyone else was fantastic. The main story is pretty disappointing (especially if you're comparing to D1) and I wasn't a big fan of the split timeline/dimension hopping thing, but really, the game was more about the characters and how they interacted than the overall plot.

That said, I'll be the first to admit that I'm a huge apologist for the game and the average person should stay away unless you're getting it for like $20 at most. :shrug:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Drakengard 3 wasn't that bad. It was fun in a very mindless way and had some great music.
But then again so was Nier and Nier had the better story so, it wins out still.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Rydia is the best girl and I thought FFIX was one of the best in the series.

Come at me.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Grimthwacker posted:

Come at me.

Um...that's an agreed opinion so I don't get it?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Um...that's an agreed opinion so I don't get it?
Actually, the best girl is Quina.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

I would almost agree with you if it weren't for that drat FROG FARMING MINIGAME.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

Quina isn't a girl, he/she/it doesn't count :colbert:.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Grimthwacker posted:

Come at me.

Well I'll have you know that around these parts FFVIII is the best and Vanille is everyone's favorite girl.

So you best be on your way.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Grimthwacker posted:

Come at me.

I for one will be incredibly brave and agree with your very popular opinion.

For no reason whatsoever other than Rydia is badass, she always leads my Curtain Call party.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
I'm never totally sure how to approach the topic of "best" Final Fantasy game, because they're all the worst.

No, actually it's because there are a too many different definitions of best. Like, in terms of how the game plays start-to-finish, I think V might be the best; it's a light-hearted and fairly brisk adventure that's fun to play, which I'd say makes it the best game if we're defining a game as "a thing you play for fun." But as far as story, I would say VII. It has a few weak points, but the over-all story being told is the one I've always found to be the most interesting. I also think X had the tightest setting, and it felt real in a way that other Final Fantasies haven't been able to manage before or since. And as for IX, I think it had the largest cast of legitimately interesting characters; I'd go so far as to say the characterization is the game's greatest strength.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Tifa is the best for her big anime titties. :mrgw:

On the subject of Drakengard, I really wish this were real. Slice of life dating sim Caim would have been the best.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Mischitary posted:

iOS version is literally the PSP version with the slowdown fixed, but no online/post game super battles (that I could find) so their respective gear is just dumped into the fur shop.