Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Mega64 posted:

Has anyone tried out the FF6 Randomizer yet? Wondering what it's like and how balanced it is since I probably won't get around to trying it anytime soon.

Diggin this patch note:

Bug fixes:
vVI - Psycho Cyan. Cyan, under certain circumstances would counter-attack his own attacks, which will eventually kill all enemies on the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Diggin this patch note:

Bug fixes:
vVI - Psycho Cyan. Cyan, under certain circumstances would counter-attack his own attacks, which will eventually kill all enemies on the field.

That's a classic FFVI bug actually

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It was about the only way to make Cyan actually useful too.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

When you play Rufus's Welcoming Ceremony, does it show you walking in the parade? This is important.

Not in the parade, as you're the only character on screen. That said, it does use the streets of Junon as the background, and there's a little "Live TV Ratings" counter that pops up in the lower-right corner of the screen.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Sunning posted:

http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/final-fantasy-type-0-hd-community-qa-time

There will also be a streaming event on October 31 through the Square Enix Presents channel. It'll be a follow up to Paris Games Week, similar to hwo the first one was a follow up to TGS, and feature special guests. It looks like they've made this into somewhat of a regular event covering both Type-0 and FFXV. I'm very happy with how Tabata is handling the PR aspect of these games.

"When you murdered the Mad King Nomura and sat on the Iron Throne of Final Fantasy XV, exactly how hard was your penis?"

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gologle posted:

"When you murdered the Mad King Nomura and sat on the Iron Throne of Final Fantasy XV, exactly how hard was your penis?"

Why would you post this? Why do you post anything?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm very sorry that I use a comedy website to post lovely humor for alleviating the crushing mind numbing boredom and repetition of my working life.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gologle posted:

I'm very sorry

It would be okay if any of your posts were good or funny, but you're pretty right to be sorry.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gologle posted:

I'm very sorry that I use a comedy

Regale us with another one of your tired jokes, it is the yeultide season, after all.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Sunning posted:

http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/final-fantasy-type-0-hd-community-qa-time

There will also be a streaming event on October 31 through the Square Enix Presents channel. It'll be a follow up to Paris Games Week, similar to hwo the first one was a follow up to TGS, and feature special guests. It looks like they've made this into somewhat of a regular event covering both Type-0 and FFXV. I'm very happy with how Tabata is handling the PR aspect of these games.

Yeah, me too. Although I don't think they'll be showing much of XV there. I think they're gonna save whatever XV stuff they got for Jump Festa in December.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I liked every single song this week a lot.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I was kinda hoping we'd get Ultima Weapon's theme at some point for Curtain Call, but oh well. There's still a lot there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZZDnlAg3Pk&t=78s

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
There will be more DLC next week.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Will there, Fronz? Are you toying with my heart?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

I was kinda hoping we'd get Ultima Weapon's theme at some point for Curtain Call, but oh well. There's still a lot there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZZDnlAg3Pk&t=78s

Maybe a future patch will add in other Weapons for FF XIV. Omega is almost a given but they could add Emerald near Limsa Lominsa and Ruby near Ul'dah for the sake of nostalgia.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Beef Waifu posted:

Will there, Fronz? Are you toying with my heart?

It's the truth.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Is it true Squall dies after the assault on the Edna (whoever the female big bad is) near the beginning of the game? I read somewhere, or a goon told me, the rest of the game has too much go right for him

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

no that's a dumb theory people have

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

what if the main character was dead or in a coma the whole time!?!?

-something some idiots think is insightful analysis

e: This Epic Fan Theory Will Completely Change How You See Pokemon

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waroduce posted:

Is it true Squall dies after the assault on the Edna (whoever the female big bad is) near the beginning of the game? I read somewhere, or a goon told me, the rest of the game has too much go right for him

No, it's a poorly thought out theory that really doesn't hold together and basically amounts to "A JRPG character has good things happen to them! He must be dead!"

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Cake Attack posted:

what if the main character was dead or in a coma the whole time!?!?

-something some idiots think is insightful analysis

e: This Epic Fan Theory Will Completely Change How You See Pokemon

The sad thing is this is almost what happened for Doraemon.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, sorry but Final Fantasy VIII is not St. Elsewhere.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I disagree, it would take an autist to come up with it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
The warriors of light were killed by mind flayers
Firion and friends died in that very first hopeless fight
The onion kids died when they fell off the floating continent
Cecil died fighting his dark side
Butz got kicked in the head by Garula and died
Terra didn't turn into an esper, she just died
Cloud died from exhaustion climbing all those stairs
Zidane was killed by Beatrix because she's a competent soldier
Tidus died when he tried to hold his breath for twenty minutes from kicking a blitzball lol

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

No, it's a poorly thought out theory that really doesn't hold together and basically amounts to "A JRPG character has good things happen to them! He must be dead!"

That's not fair. The main thrust of the argument is actually "The plot of this final fantasy game just doesn't make sense!"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

fronz posted:

That's not fair. The main thrust of the argument is actually "The plot of this final fantasy game just doesn't make sense!"

That's true. The makers of that theory subscribe to the Freudian school of video game analysis. But sometimes a bad story is just a bad story and that's all there is to it.

I do have to wonder what happened to Nojima. He also wrote VII and X, although VII was sort of a cooperative effort. Even still, X was all him and that was a much better written game than VIII. I guess he was just having an off...year. Then again, maybe it was a plain old off day. Wouldn't surprise me if the story of FFVIII was written in a single day.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Looper posted:

The warriors of light were killed by mind flayers
Firion and friends died in that very first hopeless fight
The onion kids died when they fell off the floating continent
Cecil died fighting his dark side
Butz got kicked in the head by Garula and died
Terra didn't turn into an esper, she just died
Cloud died from exhaustion climbing all those stairs
Zidane was killed by Beatrix because she's a competent soldier
Tidus died when he tried to hold his breath for twenty minutes from kicking a blitzball lol

It's a dumb theory but Squall gets impaled with a giant shard of ice and is ok 5 minutes later so I can at least see how it started

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Help Im Alive posted:

It's a dumb theory but Squall gets impaled with a giant shard of ice and is ok 5 minutes later so I can at least see how it started

You mean a whole disc change and being locked up in a far away prison? That 5 minutes?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Yeah, but we all know Rinoa is Ultimecia anyway, so what does it matter.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Tae posted:

You mean a whole disc change and being locked up in a far away prison? That 5 minutes?

In a world with highly advanced technology and also magic, no less?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Help Im Alive posted:

A wizard witch did it.

NikkolasKing posted:

I do have to wonder what happened to Nojima. He also wrote VII and X, although VII was sort of a cooperative effort. Even still, X was all him and that was a much better written game than VIII. I guess he was just having an off...year. Then again, maybe it was a plain old off day. Wouldn't surprise me if the story of FFVIII was written in a single day.

Gas leak.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Squall gets impaled by giant shards of ice every five minutes or so. Curaga fixes it.

fronz posted:

Fair point.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Tae posted:

I just watch someone stream it the other day and it was more like a half hour, as there was a entire Laguna section (with Rinoa being the one in charge) first before Zell and them break out, which then cuts to Squall being tortured. In light of that theory they should just pull a fakeout and left Squall die permanently there and the rest of the party just takes over from there.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

It's a dumb theory because anime/games are incapable of introducing some psychological twist without beating the viewer/player over the head with German psychobabble. If the latter half of the game was a dream, the writers wouldn't be able to restrain themselves.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
You can revive people from the dead (or is it "knocked out") and also summon giant creatures that can warp spacetime as well as speeding yourself up and creating magic shields around yourself. I don't think healing a wound is all that weird.

/I'm sorry Aeris, I had 20 phoenix downs but they wouldn't use them in the cutscene :(

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Electromax posted:

You can revive people from the dead (or is it "knocked out") and also summon giant creatures that can warp spacetime as well as speeding yourself up and creating magic shields around yourself. I don't think healing a wound is all that weird.

/I'm sorry Aeris, I had 20 phoenix downs but they wouldn't use them in the cutscene :(

And that's the difference- it was a cutscene injury, not a in-game battle injury. Squall even wakes up and goes- "My wound is gone? How...?" Which he wouldn't say if he was just "oh of course, the magic we use every day can just fix up gaping chest wounds."

I'm not endorsing the theory- it's just that FFVIII is a plothole-ridden mess, where the writers went out of their way to make sure logical explanations (like healing magic could fix it) are ruled out (by Squall's intentionally drawing attention to the fact that his injury would not be so easy to heal by conventional means).

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
The Final Fantasy theories reek of desperation. They are what happens when someone really wants a FF plot to be good and make sense when they just aren't. When we say/read "That one had a good plot" we all insert "for a Final Fantasy game" silently in our minds.

The uncomfortable website dedicated to the "Squall is dead" theory

It is full of spoilers if you somehow managed to not play FFVIII or forgot it and want to play again.

All you really need to do is scroll down to the conclusion and read the first line. Then get uncomfortable realizing how much time this guy spent on this.

Favorabilis Solitud fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 24, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

W.T. Fits posted:

Not in the parade, as you're the only character on screen. That said, it does use the streets of Junon as the background, and there's a little "Live TV Ratings" counter that pops up in the lower-right corner of the screen.

Cool, I'm definitely buying it then

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

(by Squall's intentionally drawing attention to the fact that his injury would not be so easy to heal by conventional means).

Too bad there wasn't an almighty sorceress or something who was planning on interrogating him for information and might want him alive.

I'm not saying it's the best plot ever, but this seems like a dumb point to fixate on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

And that's the difference- it was a cutscene injury, not a in-game battle injury. Squall even wakes up and goes- "My wound is gone? How...?" Which he wouldn't say if he was just "oh of course, the magic we use every day can just fix up gaping chest wounds."

I'm not endorsing the theory- it's just that FFVIII is a plothole-ridden mess, where the writers went out of their way to make sure logical explanations (like healing magic could fix it) are ruled out (by Squall's intentionally drawing attention to the fact that his injury would not be so easy to heal by conventional means).

The thing there is that I think that's a translation issue. IIRC that dialogue in the Japanese version is more like "My wound is gone? Who saved me?" as opposed to "How was it healed?"