Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I was under the impression the Sqaull's Dead Theory was based on the spooky Squall with the hole for a face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

morallyobjected posted:

Too bad there wasn't an almighty sorceress or something who was planning on interrogating him for information and might want him alive.

I'm not saying it's the best plot ever, but this seems like a dumb point to fixate on.

Squall getting spiked, in dramatic "oh poo poo" slow motion, was the big cliffhanger climax ending to Act 1. It was an "oh my god, our hero just received a surely-fatal injury, in a cutscene! Convention-savvy game players know that cutscene injuries actually mean something and can't just be glossed over. How will he get out of this one?!" moment. And they follow it up with him going "Oh, I'm not dead? Huh", and never mentioning it again. That is way worse writing than "it's not the best plot ever". It reeks of "we were writing the plot as we went, and couldn't think of how to fix our own cliffhanger so we just pretended it never happened." If they want to break convention with cutscene injuries and say that the sorceress has the power to close a hole through his chest the size of a man's arm, a power which no sorceress is ever shown to have, they probably should have mentioned it in the game.

But you're right- there are plenty of other things in the game to fixate on. Like why does Edea need to interrogate a SeeD to discover what their mission is, when:
1) Edea helped found the Garden institution and its sorceress-hunting initiative
2) Ultimicia is perfectly aware that SeeDs hunt sorceresses, since the reason she supposedly went evil in the first place is due to the hunting of sorceresses by SeeDs.

Or how about, if Garden's entire purpose is to train Sorceress-hunters, why are none of the students even aware that Sorceress-hunting is sort of the point?

Just... FFVIII makes my head hurt.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The thing there is that I think that's a translation issue. IIRC that dialogue in the Japanese version is more like "My wound is gone? Who saved me?" as opposed to "How was it healed?"
Yeah, FF8 has a better translation than FF7, but there are still some weird changes/mistranslations. They just aren't blatantly obvious like they are with FF7.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

Yeah, FF8 has a better translation than FF7, but there are still some weird changes/mistranslations. They just aren't blatantly obvious like they are with FF7.

See: whatever.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Okay Squall might not be dead but what about Rinoa=Ultimecia? :smuggo:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Volt Catfish posted:

Didn't the ultimania officially confirm this is not the case?

It is at least an interesting-ish idea and thematically fits with the game and if I were to redo the script because I assumedly have done something wrong enough to have to rewrite ffviii I would definitely make that part of the plot.

And like 400% more hyne. Hyne is the best ff character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

Didn't the ultimania officially confirm this is not the case?

It is at least an interesting-ish idea and thematically fits with the game and if I were to redo the script because I assumedly have done something wrong enough to have to rewrite ffviii I would definitely make that part of the plot.

And like 400% more hyne. Hyne is the best ff character.

Yeah, the Ultimania gave her backstory and it's kinda boring and generic.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I wish someone would come up with some really stupid theories about XII and XIII-1 instead to make their stories more interesting. Those games need it way more than VIII.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Why would you post this? Why do you post anything?

It made me laugh. Keep posting, Gogogle, haters better vacate.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

here's my XII theory: Matsuno died halfway through and the guy who made loving magical chase wasn't up to the task of making a game out of the fragments of ideas he'd left behind

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Krad posted:

I wish someone would come up with some really stupid theories about XII and XIII-1 instead to make their stories more interesting. Those games need it way more than VIII.

FFXII is actually Vaan's hallucination. He lives as a street kid, fighting rats and scrounging for food, and imagines that the people in power will totally someday see his worth. Each of the other characters represents an aspect of himself or of society he wishes the recognition of. (Balthier is the sky pirate, Basche the man who killed his brother, Ashe royalty, and so-on. Fran is the nonhuman creatures who are in the process of dying out and will be dead by FFT's time.) In actuality he is just retreating into a fantasy, just like those in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. However while it is a less literal fantasy, he fell to it and was lost. That is why he shows up in FFTA2 as a 'sky pirate.')

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

Marche is an anti-hero killing an entire planet of sentient beings, where Ritz has her natural hair colouration, Mewt has a mother and Doned isn't paralysed for his own selfish desire to return to a world where nothing good is happening is actually canon and not at all a bizarre fan theory though, let's make that clear right away.

e:

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 24, 2014

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Krad posted:

FFXIII is actually a test designed by the a nefarious shadow group to determine if they can replicate events enough to build a simulated environment to produce the ultimate jrpg protagonist. FFXIII-2 is about what happens to the SSS (Solid Squall System) after its mission is complete and FFXIII-3 is about Lightning fulfilling the role she was engineered to play and finally defeat the M.O.O.G.L.E.S. Control over existence.

Also, France.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Schwartzcough posted:

Squall getting spiked, in dramatic "oh poo poo" slow motion, was the big cliffhanger climax ending to Act 1. It was an "oh my god, our hero just received a surely-fatal injury, in a cutscene! Convention-savvy game players know that cutscene injuries actually mean something and can't just be glossed over. How will he get out of this one?!" moment. And they follow it up with him going "Oh, I'm not dead? Huh", and never mentioning it again. That is way worse writing than "it's not the best plot ever". It reeks of "we were writing the plot as we went, and couldn't think of how to fix our own cliffhanger so we just pretended it never happened." If they want to break convention with cutscene injuries and say that the sorceress has the power to close a hole through his chest the size of a man's arm, a power which no sorceress is ever shown to have, they probably should have mentioned it in the game.

But you're right- there are plenty of other things in the game to fixate on. Like why does Edea need to interrogate a SeeD to discover what their mission is, when:
1) Edea helped found the Garden institution and its sorceress-hunting initiative
2) Ultimicia is perfectly aware that SeeDs hunt sorceresses, since the reason she supposedly went evil in the first place is due to the hunting of sorceresses by SeeDs.

Or how about, if Garden's entire purpose is to train Sorceress-hunters, why are none of the students even aware that Sorceress-hunting is sort of the point?

Just... FFVIII makes my head hurt.

Lets just not even talk about the ending.

Volt Catfish posted:

I think the squall is dead story is lame but the Rinoa = Ultimecia time/travel story actually adds some depth and makes some sense out of VIII, so I actually like it.

I don't pretend that's the canon story though because its clearly not.

ImpAtom posted:

FFXII is actually Vaan's hallucination. He lives as a street kid, fighting rats and scrounging for food, and imagines that the people in power will totally someday see his worth. Each of the other characters represents an aspect of himself or of society he wishes the recognition of. (Balthier is the sky pirate, Basche the man who killed his brother, Ashe royalty, and so-on. Fran is the nonhuman creatures who are in the process of dying out and will be dead by FFT's time.) In actuality he is just retreating into a fantasy, just like those in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. However while it is a less literal fantasy, he fell to it and was lost. That is why he shows up in FFTA2 as a 'sky pirate.')

So its Adventure Time? :aaa:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

FF13 is the dying dream of Hope's mom, Nora, hoping for her son to grow into a good man. Snow's group is named after her because, while simultaneously protecting Hope, she is afraid Hope will hate her for "leaving" him, and feels responsible for it.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I took the whole Squall's Dead thing as the passive need for everyone to have everything be some kinda crazy MGS2-esque postmodern acid trip. Because why not.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

This is perfect. Marche is the best main character in the worst game of the series.

TARDISman posted:

I took the whole Squall's Dead thing as the passive need for everyone to have everything be some kinda crazy MGS2-esque postmodern acid trip. Because why not.

Chrono Cross did it first and no one gave it any credit for it. :smith:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Chrono Cross felt like Masato Kato spent too much time hanging out with the Xenogears Development Team.

Which is to say, I loved CC completely. So maybe he spent just enough time there.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The problem with the Squall Is Dead theory, and in fact all fan theories, is that if they had actually intended for that to be true, they would have at some point made it explicitly true. It's not a crazy twist if they don't actually reveal the twist.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Chrono Cross felt like Masato Kato spent too much time hanging out with the Xenogears Development Team.

Which is to say, I loved CC completely. So maybe he spent just enough time there.

CC's bizarre dog's breakfast plotline and uninspiring characters was more than compensated for by the absolutely gorgeous aesthetic presentation. I have yet to find a game with a setting as gorgeous as El Nido.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Vermain posted:

CC's bizarre dog's breakfast plotline and uninspiring characters was more than compensated for by the absolutely gorgeous aesthetic presentation. I have yet to find a game with a setting as gorgeous as El Nido.

CC is easily one of the prettiest settings in the Playstation era. That plus its great musical score is enough to make it a wonderful game in its own right.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Butt Ghost posted:

I was under the impression the Sqaull's Dead Theory was based on the spooky Squall with the hole for a face.

I was convinced when they were showing clips of him getting impaled in the ending. I think it's a decent theory.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Madmarker posted:

CC is easily one of the prettiest settings in the Playstation era. That plus its great musical score is enough to make it a wonderful game in its own right.

If you've played Chrono Trigger, I'm pretty sure it's impossible to not get goosebumps when a leit-motif from Trigger weaves its way into the track currently playing in Cross. It's sensational.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I prefer the "Rinoa is dead" and "Squall is Ultimecia" theories myself.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mega64 posted:

I prefer the "Rinoa is dead" and "Squall is Ultimecia" theories myself.

Squall is Ultimecia makes so much sense, you don't even know.

Ultimecia talks about being persecuted, Squall viewed the world as hostile and everyone was persecuting him and he just wanted to be with Ellone and later, Rinoa. He's junctioned so much magic and GFs that he is basically Hyne, the creator of the sorceress myth, who passes all that power onto Sorceresses during Time Compression. Speaking of Time Compression, he aims to live in the moments that made him happiest for all eternity; being with Ellone and being with Rinoa.

Finally, he has Griever as a GF because he created Griever in the first place, it couldn't have come from anyone else but him.

See, crackpot theories that make more sense than the plot of FF VIII are easy to make!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

For ages I thought I just didn't understand what was going on in FF VIII, it's good to know that it really doesn't make any sense and it wasn't just me.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Squall is Ultimecia makes so much sense, you don't even know.

Ultimecia has no face. Squall has no face.
Coincidence!? I think not! :tinfoil:

Theory validated!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

Ultimecia has no face. Squall has no face.
Coincidence!? I think not! :tinfoil:

Theory validated!

I never even considered that.
That's my explanation for Ultimecia now.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Welcome to Balamb Garden home of the world famous Zell-Dog, may I take your order?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Now photoshop the FF15 cast driving past this.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thank you

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Barudak posted:

Welcome to Balamb Garden home of the world famous Zell-Dog, may I take your order?

Holy poo poo! :lol:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Being Squall Malkovich.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This is magic.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A+

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
Boy I was so hooked on FFVIII when it first came out. I played the poo poo out of that game. I still can't believe all the monsters came from the moon. Why can't there just be monsters.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Waroduce posted:

Is it true Squall dies after the assault on the Edna (whoever the female big bad is) near the beginning of the game? I read somewhere, or a goon told me, the rest of the game has too much go right for him

I thought this was the Pokemon theory, where everything is an illusion created in the mind of a comatose Ash/Red/Blue.

Varance fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Varance posted:

I thought this was the Pokemon theory, where everything is an illusion created in the mind of a comatose Ash/Red/Blue.
there's a ___ is dead theory for loving everything.