Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

I need to play this. And Xenblade. Maybe Xenosaga, but I don't know anything about those games.

You really don't need to play Xenosaga. Gears is alright, but kind of a slog to actually play compared to any FF. Blade is the best of the lot by leaps and bounds (and probably among the best in the genre) but don't get caught up in doing the sidequests. Seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Firstborn posted:

Chrono Cross: I loved CT but didn't play this. Not sure why.

Chrono Cross is a beautiful tragedy. On one hand, gorgeous environments and a magnificent soundtrack. I also really like the battle system. On the other hand, the plot is completely gibberish and the game has an automatic accent generator instead of unique dialogue. Also the whole thing of having forty-five characters the majority of which range from 'worthless' to 'dumb', including a turnip man, some sort of living flower, and a dude who turned into a fungus. And Poshul.
I still love Chrono Cross but sometimes I have no idea why.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Firstborn posted:

Wild Arms: I really liked the WA1 remake, XF or whatever. I didn't really like the sequels.

I'm really hoping that the composer for the first 4 or so WA games will do another soundtrack because she is crazy talented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4uR39jNeGE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-0uVT66vDU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8hUaKdzVA4&list=PLB84D65CA40B2FF56&index=47
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmh2gQpb6MM&index=55&list=PLB84D65CA40B2FF56

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

She worked on Half-Minute Hero 2, which you can buy on Steam.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

She worked on Half-Minute Hero 2, which you can buy on Steam.
She was also one of the army of composers for Super Smash Brothers Brawl and Super Smash Brothers 4. I know she did the Bramble Blast remix in Brawl.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

MonsieurChoc posted:

There's only one class: Archers.

Really? Their damage seems super low, and their mobility is so bad it takes my Archer like 2-3 turns to even get into position, and then she hits the big bad for like 10 (unless she uses her auto-crit thing), where my Knights and Soldier are hitting for 30-50 and my Wizard's Firestorm is like 60 every round. I just wish there were more jobs, I'm in Ch. 1 and been trying to recruit the specials, and I still have like 4 duplicate classes without even trying. It's a little frustrating.

For fun I looked up what it takes to make a Lich or Divine Knight, and my brain turned into gravy and ran out of my ears.

Edit: Lanselot is a badass. It's a little weird that there are two.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Firstborn posted:

Really? Their damage seems super low, and their mobility is so bad it takes my Archer like 2-3 turns to even get into position, and then she hits the big bad for like 10 (unless she uses her auto-crit thing), where my Knights and Soldier are hitting for 30-50 and my Wizard's Firestorm is like 60 every round. I just wish there were more jobs, I'm in Ch. 1 and been trying to recruit the specials, and I still have like 4 duplicate classes without even trying. It's a little frustrating.

For fun I looked up what it takes to make a Lich or Divine Knight, and my brain turned into gravy and ran out of my ears.

Who needs to move much when you just get on top of something and rain death across the map. Archers are imba in LUCT. Especially if you recruit some birdmen and make them archers so they can fly up to the highest position in one turn. :getin:

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
After watching the recent Active Time Report again, I think we can confirm what I've suspected since TGS; Tabata has brought in his Type-0 team and other SE employees to work on FFXV and appear as guests on the show instead of Nomura's team. We saw signs of this when FFXV's new battle system had a patent by Tabata and Type-0's battle director, Kenichiro Yuji. It's likely Tabata's team has largely replaced much of Nomura's original FFvsXIII team since these roles are largely leadership positions and would have made existing positions redundant. It would make sense for Tabata to bring in people he trusts and management probably gutted Nomura's ineffectual team when the project was rebooted in June 2012.

We've seen the original development team leave the project over the years, such as longtime Kingdom Hearts lead programmer Kentarou Yasui. I've gone back to look over the credits of when FFvsXIII was first announced and the 2011 reveal to see the changes in staff (Confirmed departures in bold and inactivity in italics):

FFvsXIII Staff in 2011 posted:

Director, Concept Game Design, Character Design, Base Story: Tetsuya Nomura (Removed from project and replaced by Hajime Tabata. Moved to work on KH3 and other side projects.)
Producer: Shinji Hashimoto (Still attached to the project and excited as usual)
Producer: Yoshinori Kitase (No longer credited with the project as producer. Last known producer credit was Lightning Returns and FFX HD. Said to be working on a new project back in March 2014.)
Movie Director: Takeshi Nozue (Still on the project and seen recently this past week promoting FFXV with Tabata)
Image Artwork: Yoshitaka Amano (Freeland Artist. Worked recently with SE on FFXIV)
Mechanic Concept: Takayuki Takeya (Famous freelancer whose work is probably done)
Clothes Design: Himuro Takahara (Creative Director from Japanese clothing brand Roen. Work was said to have finished in 2010. Accidentally credited FFXV before official e3 2013 re-reveal.)
Scenario Writer: Kazushige Nojima (Still at SE. Wrote FFX HD Audio Drama)
Music: Yoko Shimomura (Still credited as composer)
Music: Kaoru Wada (Still credited as Shimomura's orchestra conductor)
Main Programmers: Hiroshi Harata (Still at Square-Enix to our knowledge but no non-supervising credit since Kingdom Hearts 2. Worked as supervisor for KH spinoffs/HD ports and Dissidia). Takeshi Aramaki recently credited as lead programmer in Active Time Report.
Main Programmers: Kentarou Yasui (Left to work mobile game Chaos Centurions as a freelancer with a few other ex-SE staff). Takeshi Aramaki recently credited as lead programmer in Active Time Report.
Planning Directors: Yuuichi Kanemori (Last Directorial Role was KH2. Worked Supervisor for KH spin-offs and HD port.)
Planning Directors: Takayoshi Nakazato (Last known work was on FFXIII as Map Planning Director. Yasuyuki Matsunami was recently credited at map director last week.)
Planning Director (World): Takeshi Endou (No non-supervising credit since Kingdom Hearts 2. Worked as supervisor for KH spinoffs/HD ports and Dissidia)
Planning Director (Event): Jun Akiyama (Last seen working on FFXIII/FFXIV 1.0)
Graphic Director (Character Model): Tomohiro Kayano (Still at Square-Enix to our knowledge but no non-supervising credit since Kingdom Hearts 2. Worked as supervisor for KH spinoffs/HD ports and Dissidia)
Graphic Director (Animation): Tatsuya Kandou (Still at Square-Enix to our knowledge but no non-supervising credit since Kingdom Hearts 2. Worked as supervisor for KH spinoffs/HD ports and Dissidia)
Graphic Director (Map Model): Masahide Tanaka (Still at Square-Enix to our knowledge but no non-supervising credit since Kingdom Hearts 2. Worked as supervisor for KH spinoffs/HD ports and Dissidia)
Graphic Director (Visual Effects): Shuichi Sato (Still at Square-Enix to our knowledge but no non-supervising credit since Kingdom Hearts 2. Worked as supervisor for KH spinoffs/HD ports and Dissidia)
Graphic Director (System Menu): Takeshi Arakawa (Left to work for social network company GREE in 2012 with two other Dissidia staff.)
Art Director (Character): Tomohiro Hasegawa (Fell off the map in 2010. Replaced by Yusuke Naora?)
Art Director (Map): Takayuki Ohdachi (Still at Square-Enix to our knowledge but no non-supervising credit since Dissidia. Worked as supervisor for KH 1.5. Replaced by Yasuyuki Matsunami?)

Even if we ignore the development costs of such a troubled project, just keeping so much key staff stuck on a dead end project is so wasteful. If the original FFvsXIII creative staff has been removed, then I'm curious to where they've ended up. Kingdom Hearts 3 already has its key roles filled and the Osaka studio is located far away from the SE main building in Tokyo.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Bregor posted:

Hey are you gonna pick up your KoL LP again? I thought it was really good!

:blush: I'd really like to! But not until I'm done with grad school apps at the very least

Firstborn posted:

They can fire far beyond their visible range and their damage really starts to ramp up once you can get consecutive guaranteed crits with ease. The problem with archers is their simplicity: you have them from the very beginning and all they do is shoot things, so they can power up their weapon levels really easily. My biggest problem* with LUCT is just how loving long it takes to get new classes and characters up to even approaching par. Yeah, you could experiment, but why bother when Canopus and Arycelle and a generic archer can carry the whole game from start to finish and it's a huge pain to try out new stuff and most of the cool unique characters also have unique classes so they're doubly weak?

To clarify, LUCT's version of Thunder God Cid is an archer you get near the beginning of the game

*other problems include the crafting system, loot mechanics, the chaos frame (esp when recruiting the necromancer lady), recruiting Deneb, the joke that is the bonus dungeon

okay I'm done sorry

Looper fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 1, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Firstborn posted:

Chrono Cross: I loved CT but didn't play this. Not sure why.

When did you play Trigger? Is it a part of your childhood? If so you might hate Cross.

I had no attachments to Trigger as I just played both Chrono games for the first time a couple months ago. They were both good but I preferred Cross. It's a very good game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Looper posted:

:blush: I'd really like to! But not until I'm done with grad school apps at the very least

They can fire far beyond their visible range and their damage really starts to ramp up once you can get consecutive guaranteed crits with ease. The problem with archers is their simplicity: you have them from the very beginning and all they do is shoot things, so they can power up their weapon levels really easily. My biggest problem* with LUCT is just how loving long it takes to get new classes and characters up to even approaching par. Yeah, you could experiment, but why bother when Canopus and Arycelle and a generic archer can carry the whole game from start to finish and it's a huge pain to try out new stuff and most of the cool unique characters also have unique classes so they're doubly weak?

To clarify, LUCT's version of Thunder God Cid is an archer you get near the beginning of the game

*other problems include the crafting system, loot mechanics, the chaos frame (esp when recruiting the necromancer lady), recruiting Deneb, the joke that is the bonus dungeon

okay I'm done sorry

I wouldn't put Arycelle or Canopus on T.G Cid's level of broken because you do actually have to put some work into making them god units. Cid is broken out of the box.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
FF10 HD is pretty as hell, god drat

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Firstborn posted:

Archers are best used to kill enemy wizards and healers and other units that are really fragile and hard to reach. They do okay against other units too, but like you said, knights and wizards kind of outperform them there. I never found them overpowered, personally. They're really useful, but you still have to use them effectively.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Archers are incredibly powerful because they are the speediest units in action because of how the turn system works, and on that note accrue the fastest to charge their TP which gives them consistent big damage, which feeds back into TP, etc.

The only classes that match how brutally efficient and fast they are would be stuff like Ninjas or something that doubles melee strength.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Beef Waifu posted:

Tabata seems like he's trying to put out new footage constantly to let everyone know the game is actually in development still, which is cool of him. God knows Square needs some good publicity after everything that's been happening the past seven years.

Their PR guy needs to dress and act like Hildibrand.

Looper posted:

LUCT's version of TG Cid is anyone who can use Dragon Magic. Maybe that was removed in the PSP remake though. I remember hearing Snapdragon was gone and the retissue/animate trick apparently doesn't work (or exist) in it either.

Excluding Dragon/Forbidden magic being hilariously broken, the real TG Cid character is Haborym* because he has inhuman accuracy with spells like Petrify and will gently caress up the enemy if they aren't immune to it.

*PSX/SFC version.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Excluding Dragon/Forbidden magic being hilariously broken, the real TG Cid character is Haborym* because he has inhuman accuracy with spells like Petrify and will gently caress up the enemy if they aren't immune to it.
Perhaps you can answer one of my long running questions: how the gently caress do you get/use Dragon Magic and Necromancy? I've had the skills and reagents sitting in my copy of the game for years now, but somehow I've managed to completely miss the steps to actually use it in battle.

(I guess I could have found out by now if I really wanted, but my patience ran out while I was trying to get 30 goddamn glass pumpkins for Deneb.)

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Their PR guy needs to dress and act like Hildibrand.

Unlockable Hildebrand outfits for everyone in FFXV. Even Stella.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

alcharagia posted:

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

alcharagia posted:

Yeah it is, I was rather impressed by quite a bit of the scenery and costumes.

However the expert sphere grid system is currently blowing up in my face as I've gotten further in the game. I have made some terrible choices.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, the Expert Grid can totally gently caress you up if you don't know what you're doing and plan stuff out in advance (or do poo poo loads of grinding, I guess.)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So what's the best way to send Kimahri over to Rikku's end? The direct path is blocked by a lock.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Once you reach Mi'ihen Highroad, you can get L1 keyspheres from one of the people walking around there.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

alcharagia posted:

I would love to have a PC port of this if Square actually bothered with decent amount of video options. Although FFXIII is running stable with good graphics now days with GeDoSaTo (framerates are still iffy). FFIX and FFXII HD would also be great (man can dream).

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

oblomov posted:

I would love to have a PC port of this if Square actually bothered with decent amount of video options. Although FFXIII is running stable with good graphics now days with GeDoSaTo (framerates are still iffy). FFIX and FFXII HD would also be great (man can dream).

FFXII HD is expected, it's recent enough they still have the resources.

Not so sure on IX, which I'm most likely to play if rereleased. The battles are too slow, which is extremely bad in a JRPG where gameplay time is 90% combat. I like everything else about the game, but that's a dealbreaker.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Anyone not called the Thunder Maiden is a straight up busta

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I really enjoyed being able to use the expert grid for the first time in FFX HD. I managed to get some teleport spheres early too so I was able to do stuff like have Kimahri save up 30 levels, have him teleport to Yuna, and have him go 30 past where she was to learn Holy so Yuna could learn it through a White Magic Sphere.

I like that it actually rewarded looking at it a bit, especially when it came to Kimahri. He was constantly switching to new roles and at one point could use Rikku's abilities and Lulu's magic about as well as them but with way higher HP. Also popping Yuna into Lulu's grid once in a while makes Lulu completely useless, Yuna has a much higher magic attack stat.

I say it a lot but FFX HD reminded me how much I really liked FFX. I still need to start on X-2, I actually liked that a lot unlike most people who bought it on release and I'm excited to see the new stuff.

The Gentlemieu
Jan 1, 2013
Soiled Meat
Everyone seems to underrate the shaman in TO. Sure, getting their skills to high levels can be time-consuming. But, with a little save editing magic, and a code to quadruple the skill growth rate, it's more than manageable. By the end of the bonus dungeon, I could charge up their MP and kill 7-8 units on the first turn. And then I had three more units do the same. Those sisters made the bonus dungeons completely tolerable somehow.

I really think the developers made a mistake on skill growth rates. The game is so much more fun when you can explore your options while still keeping everyone viable.

Also the obscure hidden treasures. Why hide cool elemental weapons when 99.9% of people playing will never find them?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The Gentlemieu posted:

Everyone seems to underrate the shaman in TO. Sure, getting their skills to high levels can be time-consuming. But, with a little save editing magic, and a code to quadruple the skill growth rate, it's more than manageable.

people really underrate this class that i can't defend without assuming the use of multiple cheats

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Cake Attack posted:

people really underrate this class that i can't defend without assuming the use of multiple cheats

Why does everyone say T.G. Cid is broken? You can just hack a master Calculator into your game!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

FFXII HD is expected, it's recent enough they still have the resources.

Not so sure on IX, which I'm most likely to play if rereleased. The battles are too slow, which is extremely bad in a JRPG where gameplay time is 90% combat. I like everything else about the game, but that's a dealbreaker.

Hell, if they can add a fast forward button to FFXII International...

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

oblomov posted:

If they continue putting their old games on their Dive-In cloud service, chances are that we'll end up with more Android based PC ports. I doubt we'll see a FFIX HD port but FFXII HD has a good shot of getting ported.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Srice posted:

Hell, if they can add a fast forward button to FFXII International...

And it means people would finally stop complaining about the best Final Fantasy.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That's not a very morally objective statement there.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I really enjoyed being able to use the expert grid for the first time in FFX HD. I managed to get some teleport spheres early too so I was able to do stuff like have Kimahri save up 30 levels, have him teleport to Yuna, and have him go 30 past where she was to learn Holy so Yuna could learn it through a White Magic Sphere.

I like that it actually rewarded looking at it a bit, especially when it came to Kimahri. He was constantly switching to new roles and at one point could use Rikku's abilities and Lulu's magic about as well as them but with way higher HP. Also popping Yuna into Lulu's grid once in a while makes Lulu completely useless, Yuna has a much higher magic attack stat.

I say it a lot but FFX HD reminded me how much I really liked FFX. I still need to start on X-2, I actually liked that a lot unlike most people who bought it on release and I'm excited to see the new stuff.

This is my first time really playing FFX (I played it when it first came and stopped at like the first time you play blitzball) so I don't really have any idea of what to do. I might have to mess around with teleport spheres, I think I have one or two.

Like right now I think Wakka is where Auron is supposed to be cause he is just a wrecking machine and is pretty much soloing content while I switch other characters in and out. Tidus is where I think Rikku should be, Rikku got steal and then curaga. Yuna is beyond useless and is just lost somewhere in the grid while I try to get her back to where she belongs. I think Lulu is the only one besides Wakka that isn't a total mess.

The boss of Mt. Gagazet is destroying me so I've been grinding sphere levels trying to try and get them back onto track. This is my punishment for being cocky, though I did think I'd get the airship before now and would be able to grind different locations when I wanted sooner. Didn't realize just how linear this game is.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If you're stuck on a boss in FFX it might be good to know that you can probably make the fight super easy using Rikku's mix overdrive. I don't really remember the item combinations off hand but there are a couple that'll make all your attacks do 9999.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Mix_(Final_Fantasy_X)

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

If you're stuck on a boss in FFX it might be good to know that you can probably make the fight super easy using Rikku's mix overdrive. I don't really remember the item combinations off hand but there are a couple that'll make all your attacks do 9999.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Mix_(Final_Fantasy_X)

Ok, well this looks way more useful than my Grenade + Lightning Curtain that did gently caress all. Thank you, this will actually help out a lot.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Hi, SMT player here. My first FF is XIII-2 and what the gently caress is going on?

I'm going through a XIII LP right so that I can understand what these people are trying to achieve. Pretty sure Kane and Lynch were more sympathetic than this bunch. As much as I don't want to care, I feel like I actually need to know the plot and characters if I want to make the right choices with the dialog.

Do these lead to better gear and XP or is this solely tied to moral outcomes at the end of the game where I either get a good or bad ending? If there is a chaos ending, I'd like to go for that, but so far the dialog choices seem to consist of idiocy or plot.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

uncleKitchener posted:

Hi, SMT player here. My first FF is XIII-2

Why?

Also, there are no moral choices, everything you can do you can reverse by simply reverting each area back to its original form. Any endings you get do not lock you out of other ones.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There's also only one real ending (and as much as we all wish for it, it's not the timecop one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
If a choice is required to move the plot forward it'll force you to pick it in some way. All other choices are just for fun or cosmetic stuff for your monsters, I'm pretty sure.