Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Zero Star posted:

Tonberry carries Elixirs that you can steal, FYI.
It's better to just abuse the W-Item glitch. Select a first item that you want, then select any second item but don't confirm the target. Cancel the selection and redo it repeatedly. Every time you press O and X it duplicates the first item at no cost. Bam, 99 megalixirs.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Would Knights of the round basically obliterate Sephiroth? Cause I've found level little need for the summons through out the game (and all Final Fantasies by extension).

Safer Sephiroth actually can get boosts to his HP based on several conditions, one of which is casting KotR at Jenova or Bizzaro Sephiroth. KotR will still horribly murder him regardless of HP boosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Prowler posted:

I cared about Final Fantasy VII so little that I beat Sephiroth at level ~45 with a team of Barrett, Cloud and Tifa. No one believed me, though.

I can entirely believe you did that, but I can't believe you don't care about a game with Sailor Suit Barrett.

So speaking of VII, I hear good things about that New Threat mod. Any goons care to comment? I played through it a year or two back with gjorelv's (spelling?) Hardcore Mod and it was pretty great, is New Threat even better?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

maou shoujo posted:

Safer Sephiroth actually can get boosts to his HP based on several conditions, one of which is casting KotR at Jenova or Bizzaro Sephiroth. KotR will still horribly murder him regardless of HP boosts.

That was actually one of my favorite things about the final bosses, they got stronger the more powerful your party was, and the more overpowered poo poo you used in the previous fights. Too bad that a 5x HP buff still wasn't quite enough but still, I think it's cool and more games should do it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also, Ruby Weapon is vulnerable to Stop, which is alternately hilarious and sad.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Prowler posted:

I cared about Final Fantasy VII so little that I beat Sephiroth at level ~45 with a team of Barrett, Cloud and Tifa. No one believed me, though.

I believe you. I didn't care that much despite really trying to. Completing an FF in under 40 hours is almost like rushing through it. I think I grinded for maybe 3 of those hours at the most. To me the most interesting characters were Vincent, Yuffie and Red XIII. I got kind of annoyed when I had to play as anyone else.

Oh well half of the solar system got destroyed but at least Earth is safe. Now I have to decide if I want to jump straight into Crisis Core or give FF a rest till I've completed something else hehe.

Also does the game ever stop "travelling through space"? Or does it just loop indefinitely?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I believe you. I didn't care that much despite really trying to. Completing an FF in under 40 hours is almost like rushing through it. I think I grinded for maybe 3 of those hours at the most. To me the most interesting characters were Vincent, Yuffie and Red XIII. I got kind of annoyed when I had to play as anyone else.

Oh well half of the solar system got destroyed but at least Earth is safe. Now I have to decide if I want to jump straight into Crisis Core or give FF a rest till I've completed something else hehe.

Also does the game ever stop "travelling through space"? Or does it just loop indefinitely?

Crisis Core is a pretty good game. Gackt's shoehorned in antagonist character is somewhat annoying, but not enough to detract to much from the game. Zack's character is really good and is among my favorite video game protagonists bar none. The only thing I would suggest is to not worry to much about doing the side missions. I mean, I did them all because I can be a completionist nutjob sometimes, but there really isn't a need. One thing I HIGHLY recommend though, is once you get the chance, refine yourself a costly punch materia. From that point on, nothing in the game will give you trouble.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I once sat through that for about 30 minutes hoping for an ending that doesn't suck, so either it goes on forever or longer than that.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I once sat through that for about 30 minutes hoping for an ending that doesn't suck, so either it goes on forever or longer than that.

Ah and you were so close to, if you sit through it for 85 minutes you'll get a secret message with some buttons. Write these down, then reopen your save and go back to Nibelheim and use Tifa's Piano to play those notes, another secret message should come out telling you to go back to where you found the key. This refers to the place where you got the "Key to the Ancients" in the submarine. Return there and you will find a small hole has opened up below it, SAVE immediately, below you will enter the Mako Stream and encounter the last and most powerful of the weapons in FFVII, Holy Weapon. Beat Holy Weapon and you will see a special cutscene where a praying Aeris is reunited with Cloud and the party as a gift from the lifestream. And there you go, you have revived Aeris.

Oh, and apparently you have to wait 85 minutes at the spiraling space screen because Aeris was born in 1985, a little arbitrary if you ask me, but who am I to complain about getting Aeris back.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
You had me up until Aeris coming back :colbert:

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Madmarker posted:

You don't really need to grind to fight the weapons. Against Emerald, just go into the fight with a whole bunch of megalixirs and x-potions and have each member of your party equiped with exactly 2 hp+ materia and NOTHING ELSE. Just survive until Aire Tam Storm and then watch him die in one fell swoop.

This is a bit back but you only need to do this with one party member. Putting everyone in All Lucky 7s at the same time just makes them split the same number of attacks (somewhere around ~65 at 7777 each, IIRC) amongst themselves, and does not cause any extra damage.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ReWinter posted:

This is a bit back but you only need to do this with one party member. Putting everyone in All Lucky 7s at the same time just makes them split the same number of attacks (somewhere around ~65 at 7777 each, IIRC) amongst themselves, and does not cause any extra damage.

Not until you drop their limit breaks, at least :getin:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

I can entirely believe you did that, but I can't believe you don't care about a game with Sailor Suit Barrett.

So speaking of VII, I hear good things about that New Threat mod. Any goons care to comment? I played through it a year or two back with gjorelv's (spelling?) Hardcore Mod and it was pretty great, is New Threat even better?

I just beat it last month. Or maybe it was two months ago...

Anyway, it was a lot of fun and got me motivated to actually beat FFVII for the first time in years. Thee is a whole slew of extra content, including a returning Guard Scorpion miniboss that is pretty damned hilarious. You have to beat bosses to unlock every character's Level 4 Limit Break, there are bosses guarding all the Materia Cave Materia like KOTR and so-on and so-forth. Apparently the way I cheesed through the end of the game is no longer viable though. In the version i played, Sega Chief (the mod's creator) nerfed Ultima while slightly strengthening Comet 2. I only managed to beat a lot of the new, optional bosses by spamming Comet 2 over and over.

Luckily, Magic Pots in Northern Crater now only want Ethers, not Elixirs, so you give them an Ether to get a Turbo Ether.

Also, while all the new bosses are a pain, Emerald and Ruby were kind of a joke. They have much less HP because there is no HP Plus or MP Plus materia in New Threat so he kinda "scaled them down" for parties. Elemental=Lightning - 4X Cut on Cloud will wreck Emerald's day in no time. Probably beat him in about 5-7 minutes tops.

Emerald has nothing on Nemesis, the ultimate "Extra Battle" boss. You unlock these by first getting to the bottom of Northern Crater. You then get informed Dio has opened up a new thing in Battle Square. By collecting a variety of items you can make the Extra Bosses. They drop some of the best equipment in the game and you can only unlock the best Materia in the game by beating them. (Ultima, W-Magic, W-Item, etc.) Anyway Nemesis is the last one and is modeled off of FFX's Nemesis. I made a video of my fight with it but it's poo poo because my computer can't handle recording the game. Anyway, dude has a fuckton of HP, will counter all Limit Break attacks on it with Ultima and has a move called Armageddon that does ridiculous damage to the whole party. Oh and he likes to spam Ultra Spark which hits everyone for a little bit of damage but can inflict a multitude of status ailments. My first fight with him, I died immediately to that. So you have to have everyone equipped with Ribbons which lowers your offensive or defensive capabilities because no good accessories. Also I figure he has to use Armageddon based on how much damage you've done/how much health he's lost. So you might be like me and be unlucky enough to do Omnislash, which he will counter with ultima, and then his actual turn comes and he follows Ultima with Armageddon. That's definite game over unless you are lucky and/or have Aerith decked out in this one piece of armor you get from the Mammon Machine. (the boss guarding KOTR) It increases luck or Dexterity or something but whatever it did, a lot of Nemesis' attacks missed her after I got it.

And, since we are talking about Sephiroth, Bizarro Sephiroth is actually a challenge in this version. Remember that whole thing with your party splitting up to fight him? Well, in New Threat, you actually have to do that. You have to make sure to destroy the Core Parts and Core or else he is invincible. Considering I never trained up anyone but my main team, it was Hell having my worthless secondary characters trying to survive and beat it. It was only my addiction to grinding that saved me. I had a ton of extra Materia due to Mastering everything at least once and usually about two or three times. So I could pass out Comet and Ultima and some other really good things. Quadra Magic saved my day on the third fight where you only get two characters. Two weak pieces of poo poo with Level 1 Limits....that was interesting. Ended up using all my Megalixirs in just that fight.

Luckily, after that, Safer is nothing. Sega Chief explained he didn't want to make it too hard and force us to repeat the Bizarro fight. Thank God. I died way too many times as it was.

Oh and if you beat Nemesis, there is a "secret boss and ending."

Beginning of game tip:
Gil is a precious necessity and you will almost none of it for the entire first Disk and beginning of the second. Temple of the Ancients has Gil Plus materia that does help with this though and by the time you get Highwind you might have a mastered All Materia so that wil solve your money woes for the rest of the game.

e:
Oh and this is a little thing but one which I really like. In the NT Mod, you can choose to have the same old normal battle music when going into random encounters or you can just have the dungeon theme continue on during fights. Like, in Temple of the Ancients, the Temple of the Ancients theme will continue uninterrupted when you enter a random battle. It's very atmospheric I thought.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 24, 2014

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Madmarker posted:

Crisis Core is a pretty good game. Gackt's shoehorned in antagonist character is somewhat annoying, but not enough to detract to much from the game. Zack's character is really good and is among my favorite video game protagonists bar none. The only thing I would suggest is to not worry to much about doing the side missions. I mean, I did them all because I can be a completionist nutjob sometimes, but there really isn't a need. One thing I HIGHLY recommend though, is once you get the chance, refine yourself a costly punch materia. From that point on, nothing in the game will give you trouble.

Cool, now I just have to decide wether to play it on my PSP or on my TV in as close to HD as I can get using ppsspp. I think I'm going to leave the world of VII for a while and play something like Vanquished. RPGs are like my relaxing game but even when I'm not fully into them I'll always go out of my way to get some of the side quests done.

Sakurazuka posted:

I just assumed it goes on forever and went to bed.

NikkolasKing posted:

[FFVII Mod talk]

For some reason this sounds more like what would be in Final Fantasy to me in a more thought out sense. VII, whilst I did die in some places due to foolishness mostly seemed like it was an easy version of what this Mod does. Haha. Did this mod have the graphic enhancement too?

I think the thing that bugged me most was that the coolest/most interesting looking monsters were found in the Gelnika and final descent into Sephiroth's layer, where as everything else was just a bit mundane in FF terms. It didn't make me want to grind to kill cool looking monsters.

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 25, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Also, Ruby Weapon is vulnerable to Stop, which is alternately hilarious and sad.

You might be thinking of paralyze or slow, cause Ruby is immune to stop:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Ruby_Weapon

I'm kinda annoyed that there are so many easy strategies to take these guys down, but I never knew them because the game usually makes it clear that using status effects on bosses is a waste of time.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The White Dragon posted:

Not until you drop their limit breaks, at least :getin:

There's a video of someone doing this with Barret and he kills Emerald weapon in something like 1 minute or less because he uses his limit multiple times and every hit from the limit is for 7777 damage since he healed to 7777hp(via regen I think) after selecting to use his limit break.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I can't remember exactly how I beat the Ruby Weapon a long time ago, but I do remember it involved sapping [or surviving through] all of its MP, and then I just spammed the everloving poo poo out of KotR

Edit: Ah yes. Reading some boss strategies helped me remember my cheap ways. I w-item'd a shitload of megaelixers, and I used them quite liberally. Which is kinda weird, because in every other FF I'm frugal as hell when it comes to items like that

Slightly Absurd fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 25, 2014

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

W-Item is a wondrous gift that allows people to free themselves from their hoarding mentality.

Honestly there are very few games in which I'll actually use the drat consumables rather than Save Them Because I Might Need Them Later. The only one which clearly comes to mind is Skies of Arcadia. (It helps that the consumables in that game are both really useful and really affordable.)

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

There's a video of someone doing this with Barret and he kills Emerald weapon in something like 1 minute or less because he uses his limit multiple times and every hit from the limit is for 7777 damage since he healed to 7777hp(via regen I think) after selecting to use his limit break.

An very stupid strat I used a longed time ago that only works for people who farmed far too much :
Equip counter + mime 8 times on Cloud.
Begin the fight with Omnislash, then get hit by a random laser.
Cloud then unleashes 8 omnislashes without possibility of retaliation between them.
Take your reward from the smoking crater that once was the Emerald or Ruby Weapon.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

A lot of the more interesting materia strategies in FF7 require an awful lot of AP grinding to actually set up, which is unfortunate.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Vil posted:

W-Item is a wondrous gift that allows people to free themselves from their hoarding mentality.

Honestly there are very few games in which I'll actually use the drat consumables rather than Save Them Because I Might Need Them Later. The only one which clearly comes to mind is Skies of Arcadia. (It helps that the consumables in that game are both really useful and really affordable.)

The Legend of Dragoon was pretty good about getting you to use consumables, since you only could carry 32 total items. Not stacks of items, 32 total items. However, for some reason you could carry like 250 pieces of equipment......the game was fun but had some very :downs: design decisions.

boblemoche posted:

An very stupid strat I used a longed time ago that only works for people who farmed far too much :
Equip counter + mime 8 times on Cloud.
Begin the fight with Omnislash, then get hit by a random laser.
Cloud then unleashes 8 omnislashes without possibility of retaliation between them.
Take your reward from the smoking crater that once was the Emerald or Ruby Weapon.

One of my old roommates did that. I would have liked to but I just don't have the patience, or time to grind movers and Magic Pots all day like that.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

SSNeoman posted:

You might be thinking of paralyze [...]

I'm kinda annoyed that there are so many easy strategies to take these guys down, but I never knew them because the game usually makes it clear that using status effects on bosses is a waste of time.

Yeah, Paralysis is the big one and that's one of the tricks to that fight I've always known since I found out by accident. Just hit him with Hades in the first fight I had against him and he was paralysed.

Ever since then, just come runnin up with 99 Dazers and laughed as he stood there ineffectually the entire fight. Ruby is meant to be an actual challenge but you can pin him down indefinitely since as an added bonus it doesn't wear off in like 3 seconds or something daft either. It lasts a surprisingly long while.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Newegg has all the FF's on Steam (3/4/7/8/13) all for half off, as well as FF14 for $10.

e: Briefly saw it at full price before refreshing, so if it's not showing up for you try refreshing/checking the game page anyway.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 27, 2014

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Endorph posted:

Liam O'Brien is the best VA. Play Soul Nomad & The World Eaters if you want to hear him giving an amazing performance while also having to put on a ridiculous southern accent.
He also voices Dio. Of Virtue's Last Reward, but I'm sure he'd make a fantastic Dio Brando.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I think FF14 has gone on sale on Steam for $10 directly a couple of times. It's not a bad deal since the first month is free and that usually costs $15.

Also Steam will probably have a sale themselves soon

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's currently $10 on Amazon as well. However, Newegg's the only place I've seen so far that has the Collector's Edition on sale, which has some pretty nice perks, namely the Fat Chocobo mount and Moogle minion.

That, and you can relive the joy of playing FF3, FF8, and FF13 for half-off there.

e: Official SE store also has some good deals, many of which beat Newegg. Be wary of ordering physical items since they have $8 shipping and they use Digital River which sucks, but maybe the online downloads aren't as painful?

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Nov 27, 2014

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Is FF14:ARR worth playing on PS3 with a keyboard? Amazon UK has it for under £5

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

NikkolasKing posted:

New Threat Talk

Hey thanks for that overview, it does sound like my kind of thing, I think I'll give it a look soon!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

It's outright better on PC/PS4 but the PS3 version is alright aside from Odin/Behemoth FATEs where the framerate will tank into single digits, hardly anyone's models will load in and you'll eat several Hall of Leads before you know what happened.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's outright better on PC/PS4 but the PS3 version is alright aside from Odin/Behemoth FATEs where the framerate will tank into single digits, hardly anyone's models will load in and you'll eat several Hall of Leads before you know what happened.

And that won't even be a problem for much longer. Odin is moving to a trial in December (Hard/Extreme difficulties) and KB will face a similar yet undetermined fate early next year.

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.
How are 3, 4 and 8 on PC? Are 3 and 4 direct ports of the DS versions?

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 4, 2018

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I played it for about a month last summer and I had a great time. There were a few load in issues for quests and NPCs, mainly in the main city areas, but for the most part I never had an issue with it. I did mainly focus on the crafting and gathering side of things, which is chill as gently caress. The cross bar set up for controllers actually works really well, and with a little planning you can set yourself up with all the one button macros you need

Obviously the PS4 and PC versions look better and are better optimised, but the ps3 version is a decent port and worth your time.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Just started playing Final Fantasy XII for the first time in five years. The voice acting is good but the audio quality is just terrible, especially for Penelo. You can really hear the static and microphone feedback. Something I did notice the first time around is that everyone either has blonde or light brown hair. The only characters with dark hair I can remember are Vayne and Larsa.

Final Fantasy XII has the coolest looking monsters in any RPG I've ever played. Those crocodiles are pretty kickass.

What the hell is up with Marquis Ondore's accent? It's like some weird mix between English and Indian.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Celery Face posted:

The only characters with dark hair I can remember are Vayne and Larsa.

Generally this is because they are all supposed to be European/Fantasy European and Japan tends to associate blond/light colored hair with that (or Americans.) It isn't universal but it tends to be a convenient shorthand for a certain 'type.'

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Celery Face posted:

What the hell is up with Marquis Ondore's accent? It's like some weird mix between English and Indian.

Well, Archadia is literally the British Empire, and they've got a puppet government controlling Fantasy India so they can maintain control over the world's supply of tea magicite. They couldn't get people with actual Indian accents to voice the Bhujerbans to make the parallels even more ham-handed, so they had to settle for Tom Kane doing a really awkward "Anglicized Indian aristocrat" accent. I'm pretty sure I heard his accent slipping once or twice at least.

And yeah, the visual design of FF12 is just fantastic. It's a big part of what makes it a favorite game of mine. The monsters, the architecture, and the airships all give the game-world a very deeply-realized and distinctive feeling.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Thanks to the PSN Sale I started playing Final Fantasy IX,

"you took 9 gil from grandma's savings" :smith:

Tempted to just restart and not snoop around her house.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I've been playing seven and my god, the main characters in this game are loving idiots. You get betrayed by two of your characters (I have no idea if vincent betrays you because I haven't gotten him) and they're just like "Eh ok fine guess we'll just go along with it." No, gently caress you, that rear end in a top hat just stole a key, this stupid person stole all my god damned materia. Kick them both to the curb.

Then, Shinra has a plan to destroy the meteor coming at the planet. The hero's plan? Steal the poo poo shinra needs to successfully accomplish this plan. Once you completely loving sabotage the plan and it fails horribly then go 'oh look Shinra's plan failed.' no it didn't you loving hosed the plan up. It could have worked but for some unknown reason (It's the knowledge of something or other!) you decided to actively help in the destruction of the world.

I would not be surprised that when I beat this game cloud just jumps on top of the meteor and starts laughing maniacally as it crashes into the planet.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am glad Yuffie stole my materia because Wutai loving rocked.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Celery Face posted:

Just started playing Final Fantasy XII for the first time in five years. The voice acting is good but the audio quality is just terrible, especially for Penelo. You can really hear the static and microphone feedback. Something I did notice the first time around is that everyone either has blonde or light brown hair. The only characters with dark hair I can remember are Vayne and Larsa.

Final Fantasy XII has the coolest looking monsters in any RPG I've ever played. Those crocodiles are pretty kickass.

Dr. Cid also has dark hair. Presumably it didn't pass down to his son, but yeah dark hair seems to be an Archadian thing.

Also Al-Cid and Rikken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sefal posted:

Thanks to the PSN Sale I started playing Final Fantasy IX,

"you took 9 gil from grandma's savings" :smith:

Tempted to just restart and not snoop around her house.

There's a similar one in VII where you can find a few gil hidden by a kid in his bedroom. Hope you saved recently.