Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dan Didio posted:

As someone who hasn't really played a main Final Fantasy game since X and X-2, what the hell is going on right now? I have no idea what Final Fantasy XV even is and I'm not sure what the hell happened in between, there was two MMO's, or something?

They were making a Kingdom Hearts-like game in the universe of XIII but it took waaaaaaaaaaay too goddamned long so now its called FF XV because that sounds more impressive, and its more of its own thing now because XIII was kinda so-so.

Basically they over-franchised the gently caress out of Final Fantasy XIII. People kept asking for more VII and they did stuff like Dirge and the cellphone games and the vita game, and they decided to go ahead and make their next FF into a huge multi-game FF, but the core game of XIII is pretty weak.

Final Fantasy XI and XIV are both really great and very beautiful MMORPGs that have almost nothing to do with any other FF and only a little to do with each other (Although most FFs have nothing to do with each other)

XII is actually underrated. XIII sucks hard. XIII-2 probably sucks but a little less. XIII-3 (Known as Lightning Retuns because Square has ADD now and can't stick to a naming scheme longer than 2) is apparently decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together

Volt Catfish posted:

The first hour of the game will be new content and then you'll just have to play the first game all over again.

I mean gently caress, Second is already recycling every Asterik holder from the first game.

I was never more let down by a game than when BD revealed you had to redo every crystal boss and (optionally, I guess) Asterisk holder in order to continue with the story. I never completed it after that.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Get Innocuous! posted:

I was never more let down by a game than when BD revealed you had to redo every crystal boss and (optionally, I guess) Asterisk holder in order to continue with the story. I never completed it after that.

square reveals ffxv will have 5000 hour story by simply repeating one area a hundred times

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ah the Destiny gambit.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Volt Catfish posted:

The first hour of the game will be new content and then you'll just have to play the first game all over again.

I mean gently caress, Second is already recycling every Asterik holder from the first game.

From which world? Because you basically murdered every single Asterik holder in the first world and only started sparing them from the second onwards...or are they retconning this somehow?

That said, while the worry about a repeat of the second half of Bravely Default is warranted, reusing the Asterik holders is not in of itself necessarily a bad thing given that a lot of them were cool characters who could have benefited from more time and development on screen.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Ah the Destiny gambit.

Excuse you, Dragon Age II beat it to the punch by about 3 years. :colbert: dammit Dragon Age II had like 3 fun characters and 15 insufferable tools...

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Tae posted:

I wouldn't mind the lovely VA direction if they learned how to mix their english tracks. It always sound like they hire interns or they fundamentally don't know how to post-process the balance between voices, music, and SFX. My main problem with the english trailer is that I couldn't straight up hear some of the talking because the music overpowered the voices combined with the super low bass.

That's a pretty fair assessment. I'd like to see better VA direction myself but the audio mixing in that trailer is a disaster all its own.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Wait I didn't realize they're actually bringing the same asterisk holders back. That's kinda lazy.

corn in the bible posted:

xv is a game about dudes in a car

Space Fantasy 15

Is about a Fantasy Guy
In Space

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Wait I didn't realize they're actually bringing the same asterisk holders back. That's kinda lazy.

im stunned that bravely default developers would stoop to reusing content

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I fully expect BS to contain a whole lot of recycled material, but ideally this will allow them to actually finish the second half of the game this time.

Or at least make a good game on the first try so we don't get another For The Sequel situation.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I mean, didn't the game purposefully finish the first game in a setting where all the Asterisk bosses were both alive and not massive insane monsters? Like they get less poo poo as human beings as you go from world to world.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I mean, didn't the game purposefully finish the first game in a setting where all the Asterisk bosses were both alive and not massive insane monsters? Like they get less poo poo as human beings as you go from world to world.

Nah, your team was visiting other worlds but they all returned to their original world at the end. (Ringabel seems to go back to another world to save a different Edea, based off the ending.) That is the world with a whole lot of dead folks.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

ImpAtom posted:

I fully expect BS to contain a whole lot of recycled material, but ideally this will allow them to actually finish the second half of the game this time.

Or at least make a good game on the first try so we don't get another For The Sequel situation.

First titles in a new series tend to be a little rough; now that they've had a chance to observe fan reaction and consider everything that occurred over the course of development, they should be able to address issues the first game had and create a superior product. This is also why the second iteration of a trilogy tends to be the best, because it happens after they've had a chance to reassess but before they decide that something "new" and "different" needs to be added to avoid boring the consumer.

Hopefully Bravely Second follows this scheme (or, well, the first part anyway) and doesn't go the same way as Final Fantasy into FFII.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

im stunned that bravely default developers would stoop to reusing content

I'm stunned that they'd do it a second time after how terribly it was received the first yeah

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

They return to world numero uno in the end anyway.

Except for you-know-who, anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm stunned that they'd do it a second time after how terribly it was received the first yeah

This isn't even the first time. Four Heroes of Light did it too, to a lesser degree.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Maybe I've just gotten used to long development times, but the fact that they basically promised a new entry in the Bravely series every year makes me wary. I'd rather companies make games well than try to meet some arbitrarily deadlines they set for themselves. I feel those lead to messy rushed content, or lazy reuse of assets.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I think XII is actually the last one I played, now that I think about it, but X-2 was the last one I enjoyed.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
If we can get an Assassin's Creed every year it's possible to make a Braely Default game every year. Whether they'll be worth buying is a different question entirely. It works with stuff like Pokemon though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

If we can get an Assassin's Creed every year it's possible to make a Braely Default game every year. Whether they'll be worth buying is a different question entirely. It works with stuff like Pokemon though.

It's certainly possible but not with a single team. Almost every yearly game is actually the result of having multiple development teams working on games. Both AC and Pokemon do this. That, unfortunately, almost means a higher chance of bad-good-bad-good or inconsistent sequels since the same teams aren't working on both.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The Call of Duty teams have it figured out, three year cycle for each game, one team working on each one and stagger the development cycles.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The AC franchise is yearly because they have about 2-3 Triple-A titles worth of staff working on a single game. I think, no joke, they have over a dozen studios around the world and 1000+ employees working on one game.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

So I'm kind of at that point in FFX where I'm at the end game but nowhere near ready to fight the Monster Arena bosses. What's the best way to grind AP? Is it just Omega Dungeon? I was thinking double / triple AP and grinding on cactuar town may be pretty good, but not sure on that one...

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Kirios posted:

So I'm kind of at that point in FFX where I'm at the end game but nowhere near ready to fight the Monster Arena bosses. What's the best way to grind AP? Is it just Omega Dungeon? I was thinking double / triple AP and grinding on cactuar town may be pretty good, but not sure on that one...

You need to find an overdrive > AP piece of equipment, hopefully with double ap and on the character you equip it on set their overdrive to Ally (I think it's that, i think there's one where you get ap for them taking damage, and one where they just do something). Then just go into battle against something like a tonberry and just have everyone defend like crazy for easy ap or have the two without the armor attack the tonberry and take damage from karma and then escape when they're dead (depending on the overdrive it's set to I guess).

You can do this against the master Tonbery in the arena rather easily and should be able to escape every time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kirios posted:

I think the usual trick is Overdrive > AP and then some trick involving a tonberry at the arena or something.

e: hahah yeah there we go

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

As someone who hasn't really played a main Final Fantasy game since X and X-2, what the hell is going on right now? I have no idea what Final Fantasy XV even is and I'm not sure what the hell happened in between, there was two MMO's, or something?
what does it matter, the entire gimmick of the series is that none of the games are really related

EDIT: Super Robot Wars manages about a release a year, but they have an A-Team and a B-Team and it really shows in the quality of the product. Even the good B-Team games have a lot of recycled animation and some wonky/unimpressive new ones.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Dec 18, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kirios posted:

Make weapons with Triple AP, Triple Overdrive, and Overdrive->AP. Set everyone's overdrive mode to Ally. Make armor with Auto-Phoenix. Start a fight with Don Tonberry. Every time you attack him, he'll counter with Everyone's Grudge, which will do a ton of damage based on how many monsters that character has killed. That damage then gets turned into overdrive for the other two characters, then tripled, then converted to AP and tripled again. Keep doing this over and over until it's dead or you run out of Phoenix Downs and you'll rack up a ton of AP very quickly, even if you escape the battle.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Endorph posted:

what does it matter, the entire gimmick of the series is that none of the games are really related

It's cool, dude, a bunch of people who aren't retards already responded.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Make weapons with Triple AP, Triple Overdrive, and Overdrive->AP. Set everyone's overdrive mode to Ally. Make armor with Auto-Phoenix. Start a fight with Don Tonberry. Every time you attack him, he'll counter with Everyone's Grudge, which will do a ton of damage based on how many monsters that character has killed. That damage then gets turned into overdrive for the other two characters, then tripled, then converted to AP and tripled again. Keep doing this over and over until it's dead or you run out of Phoenix Downs and you'll rack up a ton of AP very quickly, even if you escape the battle.

This takes a lot of time to setup though

In the meantime if you want to kill things to grind I think Zanarkand is actually a better option than Omega ruins.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's actually not that bad. You get the materials for Overdrive->AP from unlocking arena bosses, which he's going to do anyway. That's the only ability you really need, Triple AP and Triple Overdrive just make the process faster.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

It's cool, dude, a bunch of people who aren't retards already responded.
I didn't notice the new page, also what's your problem

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Fister Roboto posted:

It's actually not that bad. You get the materials for Overdrive->AP from unlocking arena bosses, which he's going to do anyway. That's the only ability you really need, Triple AP and Triple Overdrive just make the process faster.

Really if you're able to make all of those things plus auto-phoenix for three people, you probably don't really need the ap.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Endorph posted:

I didn't notice the new page, also what's your problem

I said it's cool, dude.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

I said it's cool, dude.
Then why call me a retard? C'mon, no need to be a dick over final fantasies.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Fister Roboto posted:

This but set the person who has killed the most enemies to Stoic (damaged received goes to Overdrive) and the other two to Comrade (Allies damage goes to Overdrive).

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

FF11 is good, FF12 is good, FF13 is good, FF13-2 is good, FF13-3 is good, FF14 is good, BD is good, BS will be good, FF15 will be good.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
So what I'm getting at for FF15 is that it's going to be ultimate road trip. Right?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Terper posted:

FF11 is good, FF12 is good, FF13 is good, FF13-2 is good, FF13-3 is good, FF14 is good, BD is good, BS will be good, FF15 will be good.

Every game is the best game in the series.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

forbidden lesbian posted:

Every game is the best game in the series.

Woah now, don't get too ahead of yourself! We wouldn't want to say anything we can't take back.

InfinityComplex posted:

So what I'm getting at for FF15 is that it's going to be ultimate road trip. Right?

I'm only buying it if I get DLC car horns for my road trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

InfinityComplex posted:

God, I hope so. There better be FFXV-brand McDonald's pit stops as save points. Even right before the final boss, there should be one last place to pick up a pack of McNuggets and an apple pie.