Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Beef Waifu posted:

Oh yeah, I'm sure you're a master analyst on this from two trailers.

I never said I could analyze it masterfully. I'm just not impressed with what they've shown. Jesus Christ, someone should be able to express an opinion with there being enough open to say it isn't a final opinion, you dork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Himuro posted:

I never said I could analyze it masterfully. I'm just not impressed with what they've shown. Jesus Christ, someone should be able to express an opinion with there being enough open to say it isn't a final opinion, you dork.

I dunno, "worse than ffx" sounds like a pretty damning opinion to me.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
If I can't paint the car purple, gold, and chrome and dress up my final fantasy guys(and girl) in the same fashion then I will probably hold off for the GOTY version.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Himuro posted:

I never said I could analyze it masterfully. I'm just not impressed with what they've shown. Jesus Christ.

Audio mixing could be better, but the VA seems pretty okay.
Compare it to this, for example. Also from SE.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
RIP Mena Suvari

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Beef Waifu posted:

I dunno, "worse than ffx" sounds like a pretty damning opinion to me.

I honestly don't think FFX is that bad or as bad as people say and I thought it was a pretty drat good first attempt. There are definitely terrible moments, like the laughing scene, but I've never had a problem with its voice acting past Yuna's wooden delivery. Maybe my reaction is mostly due to the fact there's no lip sync in the trailers. It looks weird. The bad mixing in the trailer certainly isn't helping.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Who holy poo poo, I forgot MTV did this stuff for video games.

Himuro posted:

I honestly don't think FFX is that bad or as bad as people say and I thought it was a pretty drat good first attempt. There are definitely terrible moments, like the laughing scene, but I've never had a problem with its voice acting past Yuna's wooden delivery. Maybe my reaction is mostly due to the fact there's no lip sync in the trailers. It looks weird. The bad mixing in the trailer certainly isn't helping.

That's fair. I'm not trying to poo poo on your opinion or anything, if you don't like it that's cool. But it just seemed like you sort of being premature on writing it off when most of it is just voice clips as the characters do stuff.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Beef Waifu posted:

RIP Mena Suvari

Horse tranquilizer overdose.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 21, 2014

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

There's no room for her

she'd have to sit in someone's lap and that'd just be awkward

One of the guys could sit on someone else's lap and she could take their place.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Get Gladiolus to sit on Prompto's lap.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

My problem with XV is that the least cool party member is the main character

It should be the guy that looks like Travis Touchdown

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Upgrade the car into an airship and ensure seats for everyone.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I highly doubt the Cadillac will survive the whole game. Sooner or later it'll have to be retired. Or upgraded

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Beef Waifu posted:

Who holy poo poo, I forgot MTV did this stuff for video games.

That's fair. I'm not trying to poo poo on your opinion or anything, if you don't like it that's cool. But it just seemed like you sort of being premature on writing it off when most of it is just voice clips as the characters do stuff.

On the other hand, with what Splinter posted, maybe I should revise my opinion. :stare:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I still miss Lance Bass as Sephiroth.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

My problem with XV is that the least cool party member is the main character

It should be the guy that looks like Travis Touchdown

Generalizing a bit, but haven't all the coolest FF characters been party members? Like, if your main character isn't a sky pirate of some sort, you're guaranteed to be a dork.

Square should make a Dissidia with the 2 best party members from each game instead of Hero & Villain every time

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Beef Waifu posted:

I still miss Lance Bass as Sephiroth.

That still makes me laugh. Not because of the unusal choice, but because the SFX drown out 90% of his lines. All you hear is *HUH! HOO! GNAH! Sin Harvest! Decend Heartless Angel*

Literally anyone could have done his lines; you can't even tell it's Lance Bass unless told before hand.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 21, 2014

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Himuro posted:

Maybe my reaction is mostly due to the fact there's no lip sync in the trailers. It looks weird. The bad mixing in the trailer certainly isn't helping.

I've seen so many people calling the voice work poo poo because the lines don't match up to the lip movements, and I can't facepalm hard enough. First, the quality of the voice acting has nothing to do with the lip movements (and honestly FFX would've been much better off if they had ignored the lip movements altogether), and second, doing lip synching on trailers for a game that still has a long way to go is obviously not a top priority.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The English voices have really grown on me, and it's good that with the new trailer I could listen to it in English first, and not feel like each line's delivery is different from what I expected.

Having dual audio is a great excuse for a second playthrough with a slight twist, although I expect that like Kingdom Hearts the combat will also be much more interesting on the higher difficulties.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Himuro posted:

Well, it just surprises me that the same company who put out Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy XII will put out voice acting that is this bad. Going by the latest trailer it sounds worse than FFX to me.

I don't necessarily think that you can judge the VO 100% from the trailers that have been put out. I'm certain that the actors in the trailers are the ones that'll be in the final game but the performances that are in the trailers aren't going to be the performances in the final game. For one thing the lip sync hasn't been re-done to english in the trailers, and it's most definitely going to be in the final game.

I mean they showed scenes at Jump Festa that didn't even have Japanese VO.

I'm not too worried about the VO in this game. If you ask me, there hasn't been a S-E game that I've played with truly bad VO since, like, FFX maybe? Even FFX, for it's time, had pretty good VO compared to games like Resident Evil. I'm one of the few people who thought that the VO for the FFXIII series was pretty good and I doubt that the bar would be lowered for a game that they seem to have a lot more riding on.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Next-Jin Engine posted:

Square should make a Dissidia with the 2 best party members from each game instead of Hero & Villain every time

Square should just make a Dissidia that has the best character in each game, since then half the roster would be Gilgamesh.

e: Might be old news, but more Curtain Call DLC. More SaGa, more FF14, and most importantly, representation from Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger.

e2: Also, nobody told me they announced two new jobs for FF14, you jerks.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 21, 2014

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Pesky Splinter posted:

That still makes me laugh. Not because of the unusal choice, but because the SFX drown out 90% of his lines. All you hear is *HUH! HOO! GNAH! Sin Harvest! Decend Heartless Angel*

Literally anyone could have done his lines; you can't even tell it's Lance Bass unless told before hand.

Um. Wow, I had no idea he actually had like, lines. He sounds way more awkward than I thought.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Himuro posted:

But Tidus and Yuna are actually fake-laughing in-story and are supposed to sound awkward. It's not bad VA, it's the intended direction. The Japanese version is apparently voiced the same way.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

BreakAtmo posted:

But Tidus and Yuna are actually fake-laughing in-story and are supposed to sound awkward. It's not bad VA, it's the intended direction. The Japanese version is apparently voiced the same way.

Just because it's purposeful doesn't mean it isn't bad.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

who gives a gently caress about the voice acting in a 13 year old game

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Just because it's purposeful doesn't mean it isn't bad.

And just because you think it's bad doesn't mean it is. Every time I hear someone complain about that scene it's because it sounds 'awkward and fake', and since it is in fact supposed to sound awkward and fake, I'd say they got their point across. You can consider it bad VA if you want, but the constant holding up of the scene as the perfect objective example of how lovely English dubbing supposedly is is ill-informed at best.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

BreakAtmo posted:

And just because you think it's bad doesn't mean it is. Every time I hear someone complain about that scene it's because it sounds 'awkward and fake', and since it is in fact supposed to sound awkward and fake, I'd say they got their point across. You can consider it bad VA if you want, but the constant holding up of the scene as the perfect objective example of how lovely English dubbing supposedly is is ill-informed at best.

I haven't even said anything about it aside from that you massive autist.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
If I had a dollar for every time I've read the FFX Laughter Scene Argument I could buy a whole bunch of FFX discs and throw them around like shurikens.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

I haven't even said anything about it aside from that you massive autist.

I didn't say that you did, dumbass. You were arguing with me by saying the scene was still bad when that wasn't the point I was making, so I clarified my point.

Oxxidation posted:

If I had a dollar for every time I've read the FFX Laughter Scene Argument I could buy a whole bunch of FFX discs and throw them around like shurikens.

I could do the same for the amount of times I've heard someone complain about a scene that's supposed to sound awkward and fake sounding awkward and fake.

Seriously, I don't think it's a particularly good scene, and I'm not arguing that it is - just that the most common complaint about it is apparently completely misinformed.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

corn in the bible posted:

its starting to seem like lighting returns was sort of trying stuff out for XV

Yeah, everything in the trailer except the fighting and the car looks really similar to Lightning Returns except bigger and hopefully with better framerate. That's a good thing IMHO.

With regards to the laughing scene: I like it personally but it's perfectly OK to think that the actors did a bad job faking fake laughter.

Beef Waifu posted:

Yeah and these don't sound like that, they sound like dudes doing voice acting on a Japanese production which focuses on larger than life personalities and overdramatic delivery. Part of the reason XIII's voice acting sucks is the acting direction subdues a lot of the characters' personalities trying to make them feel more grounded when that's legit one of the worst things you can do with a Japanese game.

This. I doubt most Japanese directors / VAs know the meaning of "grounded".

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 21, 2014

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013
There's a trailer that's the town exploration footage posted earlier, but it's preceded by that cutscene with Cindy, sans VA audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ6TcgcYpPs

I'm really digging billboards and stuff in these games; it's like how FF XIII made up brand names for every item store and outfitter (though the effect was dampened because, for all stores you always accessed them from the same drat kiosk).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Cindy kinda reminds me of what Sunny from MGS would look like grown-up after Revengence, for some reason.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The scene with Cindy only made me feel sorry for her. She can't afford a proper jumpsuit and getting rid of oil on you body and clothes sucks, and that's ignoring the smell. Anyone who has worked in a repairshop can attest to this.

Tae posted:

Cindy kinda reminds me of what Sunny from MGS would look like grown-up after Revengence, for some reason.

Well, they're girls and they have smudges of oil on their faces. I'd say little Sunny is dressed more appropriately for the job, though.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 21, 2014

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Nothing to see here, double post.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Renoistic posted:

The scene with Cindy only made me feel sorry for her. She can't afford a proper jumpsuit and getting rid of oil on you body and clothes sucks, and that's ignoring the smell. Anyone who has worked in a repairshop can attest to this.
Is it about time to :can:?

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

Renoistic posted:

It's not her fault. That's just one of the side-effects generated when you have four of the hottest dudes come together and sharing the vicinity.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Well now Cid has the prince of Insomnia as a regular customer. I doubt money will be her problem for long.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Pesky Splinter posted:

"rrrrrawr"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_BLgeTVbdc

XIV's Gold Saucer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

Level Slide posted:

Well now Cid has the prince of Insomnia as a regular customer. I doubt money will be her problem for long.

I can't wait to be driving across the countryside and for the radio to go, "more on the developing situation in Insomnia, and what the public has to say about the newly elected War Pope" in hushed, dignified tones.