Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've made some poor choices in life, and this is one of them.

I used cheat engine for money and CP, I'm not THAT crazy. Still took me loving forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Is the guy with the glasses in the main four the same guy who voices Professor Layton? I've been playing Azran Legacy and they sound very similar.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Final Fantasy 15 is the Shenmue 3 that we always wanted.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

dude789 posted:

Is the guy with the glasses in the main four the same guy who voices Professor Layton? I've been playing Azran Legacy and they sound very similar.

Can't tell at the moment, see if Christopher Robin Miller's name later jumps to XV's imdb page or somewhere else.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So I tracked down the original japanese version of that new trailer, and somehow they got worse at mixing. It's absolutely crystal clear what the japanese voices are saying, even during the explosion scene where the glasses guy is telling the others to hide behind the rock.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Taint Reaper posted:

Final Fantasy 15 is the Shenmue 3 that we always wanted.

can't wait to look for sailors

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

corn in the bible posted:

can't wait to look for sailors

They're the Chocobo Scouts you find around the towns.

Really the game has you looking for sailor scouts.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

They're the Chocobo Scouts you find around the towns.

Really the game has you looking for sailor scouts.

meow meow choco chow

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

I've made some poor choices in life, and this is one of them.

I used cheat engine for money and CP, I'm not THAT crazy. Still took me loving forever.

Where's the screen shot of hours played?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ragequit posted:

Where's the screen shot of hours played?

What does it matter, when it always reads the same: "Too many"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Using cheat engine to get all the achievements in FFXIII does not betray poor life choices.

Getting all of the achievements in FFXIII without cheating does.
And if you did it for the second and third games as well, I've got bad news for you. You're probably me.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Even with infinite CP it still took me about an hour to fill our everyone's crystarium, just because of the stupid animation. What were they thinking with that? Why would you ever want to spend less CP than the amount necessary to activate a node?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Final Fantasy XV could be amazing but it depends on being able to bling out the car with a Saints Row paintjob and some mounted machine guns. Also bling out the characters.

And yeah, I really hope there's FF Radio, like one station for each older FF that plays music from that game. And periodic talk shows just because.

Cidney reminds me of the Moel Gas Station Attendant in Persona 4 and so I can't help but think she's suspicious.

The car will probably get wrecked at some point just to make Noctis angry and motivated. That's right, the car is this game's Aeris.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Sad piano music plays as the main villain keys the car while Noctis looks on helpless.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

PunkBoy posted:

Sad piano music plays as the main villain keys the car while Noctis looks on helpless.

I would buy the game at full price if this was a scene.

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together

PunkBoy posted:

The villain could then slowly let the air out of the tires, and you could hear its screams of pain before they all go completely flat.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Since Lightning Returns feels like a big experiment for this game's mechanics, I hope custom costumes is one of them.

I'd dress everyone up like Tidus and make my car look like The Homer. Also, every game needs a Doughnut Drake option.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
^Yeah, armor/equipment reflected in engine seems like a strong possibility.

The preview was pretty cool but yeah, the VA continues to be pretty trashy. I think it's important to remember that FF very much doesn't exist in a bubble so saying "it's pretty good for a JRPG" doesn't mean much to the general public or even SE when they're trying to compete with other big games from the west.

Not that the VA is necessarily make or break. If the gameplay and/or story and/or overall presentation are really good, we could end up with an MGS or Platinum Games situation where garbage VA is overlooked or considered charming because the rest of the thing is so damned fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really doubt we'll see custom equipment as much as I'd like it. They've put a lot of effort into giving these characters a fairly marketable look. I don't see them changing it anytime soon. The best you could hope for is costume DLC or something.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just started playing 13-2. Lightning is basically Poochie from the Simpsons, right? She's loud, angry, and has access to a time machine, and when she's not on screen, all the other characters are asking "Where's Lightning?"

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Fister Roboto posted:

Just started playing 13-2. Lightning is basically Poochie from the Simpsons, right? She's loud, angry, and has access to a time machine, and when she's not on screen, all the other characters are asking "Where's Lightning?"
I'm so glad I found this:

---

And here's some bonus images of Toriyama fawning over Lightning:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 22, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

Pretty much. It's better in 3 because by that time she is so, so done with all the bullshit going on in her life that she stops giving a poo poo.

They explain it as god removing her emotions but the result is honestly an improvement.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This is as close as Square is ever going to get to making a new Chrono game, isn't it?

That being said, I think I'm actually enjoying this. Should I feel ashamed?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Fister Roboto posted:

This is as close as Square is ever going to get to making a new Chrono game, isn't it?

Has the word "paradox" lost all meaning yet?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

Oh Jesus. I must have seen this before and buried it in my subconscience.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

Out of context, these look like they were taken at some new age cult seminar, holy cow.

Fister Roboto posted:

Never be ashamed of doing what you love.

Yours truly, Videogames

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Final Fantasy XV looks...

good.

And I want to play it. Probably the first FF in a while that I'm actually looking forward to.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Pesky Splinter posted:

---

And here's some bonus images of Toriyama fawning over Lightning:

The look on Krusty's face is pretty much the same look I get on my face whenever I see Toriyama say anything. How does that guy get his bosses to ever take him seriously?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I can't believe what a huge weeaboo Toriyama looks like. Like, he's that guy who spends the majority of his time on anime websites and fan forums loudly protesting about power levels and being creepy about his "waifu".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

The look on Krusty's face is pretty much the same look I get on my face whenever I see Toriyama say anything. How does that guy get his bosses to ever take him seriously?

Final Fantasy X was easily the most successful a Final Fantasy had been since 7 is how.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Final Fantasy X was easily the most successful a Final Fantasy had been since 7 is how.

Yeah. X was a huge collaborative effort, though. I think there were like four guys on that game's script, compared to a game like XIII where there was only really one guy, although the mythology from XIII was already created in advance by Nojima.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mischitary posted:

Yeah. X was a huge collaborative effort, though. I think there were like four guys on that game's script, compared to a game like XIII where there was only really one guy, although the mythology from XIII was already created in advance by Nojima.

Every single FF game is a collaborative effort. Almost every video game is a collaborative effort. That does't prevent names associated with them from being credited for the game's success.

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together

Gologle posted:

I can't believe what a huge weeaboo Toriyama looks like. Like, he's that guy who spends the majority of his time on anime websites and fan forums loudly protesting about power levels and being creepy about his "waifu".

He legitimately believes Lightning is his waifu, too. He even had the gall to say that she was the first female FF protagonist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Get Innocuous! posted:

He legitimately believes Lightning is his waifu, too. He even had the gall to say that she was the first female FF protagonist.

Well, uh, he isn't really wrong. You can make a strong argument for Terra but FFVI has an ensemble cast and no one character is ever the main lead. (If it's the quote I'm thinking of at least, he may have made another stupid quote.)

Not to defend Toriyama because he's a creepy shithead.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Uh, what about FFX-2

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Get Innocuous! posted:

Terra, Celes, Yuna, and Ashe spinning quietly in their pixely graves.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Uh, what about FFX-2

The quote I'm thinking of was something like "main series Final Fantasy game." X-2 (and XIII-2 and LR) tend to be counted as spinoffs by S-E.

bloodychill posted:

No matter how many times people bitterly try to insist Ashe was the protagonist of FFXII, it isn't ever going to be something Square-Enix actually considers as true.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If spin-offs don't count, how is Lightning the first female main character? It literally takes her out of the game at points to make other characters in the cast "main," hell the last chapter was basically more about Fang and Vanille with maybe some Lightning at the end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

If spin-offs don't count, how is Lightning the first female main character? It literally takes her out of the game at points to make other characters in the cast "main," hell the last chapter was basically more about Fang and Vanille with maybe some Lightning at the end.

If you're going to make that argument then Cloud isn't the main character of FFVII. v:shobon:v

Lightning is unambigiously presented as the main lead of FFXIII. She is the one on the cover art, she is the one who was the first character introduced, she is the one you primarily control when the party is together, she is the one who the main combat theme is named after, ect. As I said, you can make a strong argument for Terra and I'd probably agree with Terra as a protagonist before I'd disagree, but it isn't a wild and out there statement.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bloodychill posted:

FF6's cast was an ensemble - Terra and Celes assume protagonist roles, but so do Locke and Sabin.

Yuna's only protagonist role was in FFX-2, which is usually considered a spinoff. If you're counting Yuna as an FF protag, you're counting Vincent, Zack, and Nameless Turk, too.

Ashe isn't the protagonist. Even if discount Vaan, the original plan was for Basch to be the protagonist, wasn't it?

Tae posted:

Every FF game does this. Zidane is gone for long stretches of FF9, FF8 has the Laguna segments and the party split sections, FF6 is FF6, FF5 has that bit where you're Galuf alone... it's something the series likes doing.