Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

In seriousness, I just spoke to the mods and admins, and they agreed to gas this thread if it has another derail about Lightning or Van.

Please keep this in mind as you post in the Final Fantasy General Thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Tales of the Abyss doesn't get brought up much in this thread though :confused:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Gamma Nerd posted:

Tales of the Abyss doesn't get brought up much in this thread though :confused:

:downs:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

google result for Van Grants:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This Noel fellow is awfully cheerful for being the sole survivor of the grimdark apocalypse.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

He stole all the personality from Yeul.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fister Roboto posted:

This Noel fellow is awfully cheerful for being the sole survivor of the grimdark apocalypse.

I just assumed he was just so happy to not be in a dying desert wasteland with literally no one to talk to anymore. I mean it explains why he can stand hanging out with Serah and Mog.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kyrosiris posted:

I had an even worse situation; all Banon had was Rasp and Item and was similarly hurt by healing.

And now I'm stuck on the Phantom Train who isn't undead in my randomization. :argh:

I started a new game using seed #7777 and so far Terra has Fire3 as a free ability, Locke has Slot and diamonds = Crusader while mis-match is Rebirth which covers healing and Bars is a random Esper. Sabin looks like a zombie Cyan and has R.Blitz. He took out Vargas with Bumrush :getin:

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

nilumtil posted:

I'm trying to run FF13+GeDoSaTo. It's crashing to desktop every 15-20 minutes, causing me to have to replay a lot of segments. Especially considering the length of cinematics.

None of my googling has returned much on this. The github has some *vaguely* similar problems reported, but I was more hoping for an actual solution.

Anyone have a fix, or is it "wait for gedosato to update or play what looks like a late PS2 game" as I am fearing? drat you Durante, after I saw the difference I can't go back to aliased 720p and weak shadows.

Doing some thread catch-up..

If ya haven't figured this out yet, one thing causing me crashes on an AMD card was using both GeDoSaTo for shinies and Rivatuner to limit fps to 30. Leaving framerate alone and not running Rivatuner cleared things up. Setting the rendering res in GeDoSaTo too high caused some crashes too; I settled on 1400p.

'Course now I have crashes in 13-2 without running anything extra and light googling not mentioning anything helpful, booo.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Celes has Rage and GP Rain. Apparently my party strategy is going to be "kill everything before it kills me". Okay then :getin:

EDIT: Shadow comes with R.BOLT, R.ICE and XMAGIC (doublecast, it seems). :getin:

EDIT 2: Phantom train is a level full of assholes who take of 90% of my HP with their attacks. they give only 1 EXP in return too. It's like an Atlus level only so much worse :(

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 22, 2014

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
In seriousness, I just spoke to the mods and admins, and they agreed to gas this thread if it has another derail about Beyond Ruin.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Endorph posted:

google result for Van Grants:

Well? What else does it say? I'm very accepting, personally

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

bloodychill posted:

In seriousness, I just spoke to the mods and admins, and they agreed to gas this thread if it has another derail about Beyond Ruin.

I can't hear you over the sound of my built-in Quadra Slash :krad:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Endorph posted:

10 is Yuna's story as much as 7 is Vincent's in the sense that neither of them are the protagonist.

Tidus is the main character. This isn't even a Vaan situation where you have to make the 'well, he's the viewpoint character' argument, Tidus is the main character. He might not get as much development as Yuna, but his actions change the course of the story, and he is directly tied to the core plot. The 'this is your story' thing is a running thing, for chrissakes.

As for 12, Ashe is the one driving the plot, but that doesn't make her the protagonist. The protagonist is not whoever changes the most, or whoever impacts the plot the most. There are plenty of stories, especially once you get out of games, where the protagonist is mostly passive: an observer of the events of the story, not a driving force of them.

Call me Ishmael.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I want a game that is nothing but Rikku teaming up with Riku.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The Taint Reaper posted:

I want a game that is nothing but Rikku teaming up with Riku.

Can we make it a Kingdom Hearts buddy-cop game? Riku, the hardboiled anime detective, and Rikku, the new girl on the force, who's really going to shake things up. Coming to a cinema near your in Summer 2015.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The man with the posh British-sounding accent from the FF15 trailers reminds me of that man who does really hammy voice acting for all the newgrounds games.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Schwartzcough posted:

How does that even...? :psyduck: Even if he was randomly undead, he still shouldn't be damaged by using drain moves.

It sounds like the river monsters are undead. Maybe.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Level Slide posted:

He stole all the personality from Yeul.

There was very little to go around, then. Noel's bland as pulped paper.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

In seriousness, I just spoke to the mods and admins, and they agreed to gas this thread if it has another derail about Lightning or Van.

I've been grappling with a tough question recently: who's a tougher mom, Lightning or Bayonetta

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I've been grappling with a tough question recently: who's a tougher mom, Lightning or Bayonetta

"Ask your Mum".

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

XIII-2 Just updated, I wonder what they've changed.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Stink Terios posted:

XIII-2 Just updated, I wonder what they've changed.

toughness of moms increased by 20%

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

toughness of moms increased by 20%

I wish. What they've actually done was fully removing the missing DLC costumes. Cocksuckers! :argh:

On the other hand, this happens when you try to equip one of them:

I guess Sword Dick Ghost Noel is a cool costume.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

0.6 seconds on chocobo catcher

Life is pain

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Stink Terios posted:

I wish. What they've actually done was fully removing the missing DLC costumes. Cocksuckers! :argh:

Aw come on Square. :(

Actually, why did the Style and Steel outfit get pulled anyway? I can understand why the Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed ones did, but wasn't that done by Nomura as well?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Artix posted:

Aw come on Square. :(

Actually, why did the Style and Steel outfit get pulled anyway? I can understand why the Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed ones did, but wasn't that done by Nomura as well?

No it was designed by a Japanese idol.
Still not sure why it got removed though.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

There was very little to go around, then. Noel's bland as pulped paper.

I suppose when it comes to the XIII series most people would take bland over annoying.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

So was this before or after they revealed that they gave Lightning a boob job for Lightning Returns?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Stink Terios posted:

On the other hand, this happens when you try to equip one of them:

I guess Sword Dick Ghost Noel is a cool costume.

This is an objectively better costume.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
More details on FFXV

quote:

While we got plenty of new details on Final Fantasy XV from Square Enix’s Jump Festa 2015 presentation, this week’s issue of Famitsu magazine provides us with even more on the game’s town, battle system, and more. [Thanks, Hokanko-Alt]

The following details come from Square Enix’s staff working on Luminous Studio:

The Luminous Engine is currently in its 1.40 version. The Final Fantasy XV demo will use 1.50, and the full release is expected to run on the 2.0 version.

As far as polygon counts go, there are roughly 5 million polys per frame, up to 100,000 per character, and 20,000 for the inner parts of the hair (about five times more when compared to the previous generation).

There are about 600 bones for the characters, about 10-12 times more than the previous generation. [Note: Bones help govern how flexible a character can be during animation.]

The engine’s capacity for textures has been greatly increased.

Fights against giant enemies are the same as battles against regular enemies, but there will be special co-op moves and actions for some of the fights against big enemies.

While it’s not a direct copy, the town of Lestarme [note: not "Lestarg," as previously stated by Japanese sources] is based off the Bahamas islands.

Besides fishing, there will be various other mini-games as well.

You won’t get to ride the ropeway in Lestarme for now, but they might make it possible if they have enough time to add it.

Next, are details from Final Fantasy XV director Hajime Tabata:

Square Enix would like you to be able to “feel” the world of Final Fantasy XV not just from its appearance, but also from the characters.

You can go shopping and stay in hotels in towns.

The NPCs in towns are controlled by AI, and can also talk.

Lestarme is set to be the main town for the first half of the game.

Cindy will appear in different places. She doesn’t have much to do with the story, but she’ll take care of you as a mechanic.

You’ll need to fight Summoned Beasts before being able to summon them. Summoned Beasts represent the power of the stars, and only Noctis will get to summon them.

You can hold down a button to do combos, but cooperative moves with party members will involve timing your button presses.

Parries will require you to time enemy attacks, an element added for advanced players

Magic doesn’t use up MP, but it’s also completely different from Final Fantasy VIII’s “Draw” system.

Special actions such as dodging and warping is what uses MP.

You can equip several weapons at once, with one being the main weapon. The main weapon is what will have its corresponding ability, but you’ll also get to change the main weapon in the midst of combat.

Combos are determined by which weapons you have equipped.

Abilities aren’t part of their own weapon categories, but rather part of individual weapons. There are weapons that don’t have any abilities as well. Think of it as something similar to the Captain Tsubasa 5 game they made a long time ago.

Dungeons and suspicious areas that have rare weapons might have some hack-and-slash elements to them. The Phantom Swords that float in the air is also a specially acquired weapon.

The demo is expected to have the game’s full battle system.

The systems that will be in the demo have seen a slight change after feedback from Tokyo Game Show, including the option of allowing players to walk, battle, and camp, instead of just driving around for the most part.

Feedback also influenced a mountainous area where a Behemoth can be seen walking around.

There will be rentable Chocobos in the full version of the game.

Camps can only be set at safe areas, so you’ll need to find those while exploring. Ignis will do the cooking.

Buying ingredients from town will result in an extra bonus for tasty food. Ingredients can also be acquired from monsters found in the wild.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

Magic doesn’t use up MP, but it’s also completely different from Final Fantasy VIII’s “Draw” system.

That's a strange comment, considering XIII didn't have MP either and came out sooner than 15 years ago.

Also they should change the mechanic's name to Cidny

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

That's a strange comment, considering XIII didn't have MP either and came out sooner than 15 years ago.

Also they should change the mechanic's name to Cidny

Yeah, but in FF parlance MP usually refers to "Magic Points", and the biggest and most controversial change from that system was definitely VIII.

And I think that the mechanic's name is Cidney in Japanese...it's obviously Shidoni when she says it in the Japanese trailer, which is a definite play off of the "Cid" naming convention. It's weird because Sidney is definitely an asexual name in english, and a character named Cindy completely loses the call-back to past FF games that the name Cid usually implies.

One thing I want them to do is just like, open a menu in the game and let me see where all of the RPG stuff is. Show somebody equipping some items on some guys, show what it looks like when you get a level up, stuff like that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mischitary posted:

and a character named Cindy completely loses the call-back to past FF games

(Yeah, I know I'm cherry-picking a part out of your quote)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Does Serah have freakishly long arms? Or is that just a side-effect of being built like a twig? I swear they look like they reach down to her knees.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I understand why it didn't happen, but I'm still very sad that the Mass Effect outfits aren't in the PC release of 13-2 :saddowns:

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

I want a game that is nothing but Rikku teaming up with Riku Riki.

fixed

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I have no idea what is going on in this thread (randomized ROM hacks or something? An update breaking XIII-2?) but I figured this would be the place to ask: standard or expert sphere grid for a blind first run of FFX HD?

I checked the e-manual and everything (lol) but couldn't find anything about the difference.

Vprisoner
Jun 28, 2007

THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
SHININGLASER!!!
Expert starts everyone at the center and basically allows you to take people down any route you want from the get-go. Standard's the original PS2 layout that more or less forces everyone down their predetermined paths before they can mix it up, and is the grid that the game's difficulty is originally based around. If you're just starting out I'd probably recommend Standard, but really there's no problem picking either. Neither grid has skills unique to it or anything, it's mostly just the layouts that are different. Expert has more empty nodes for future stat customization stuff but in general you can mess with Standard's nodes just as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hmmm, so Expert pretty much just adds customizability? Or do they both allow a lot of customization and Standard just has a more pre-laid-out flow to it?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I've played FF games before and love JRPGs in general but somehow never gave FFX a shake. I'm looking at my game shelf right now and apparently I've somehow owned a copy of the original PS2 version that I've never even tried and honestly have no idea where it came from.