Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

The White Dragon posted:

Nothing of importance or even interest happens. However, you do get a new SUPER BONUS CLASSIC FINAL FANTASY MONSTER in your party! Everyone is still dead. Remember to buy Final Fantasy 13-3!!!!!

If the game really does end with Serah dead, Noel stranded, Lightning as the new Goddess of Death I'll be very impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Oh man you guys should watch Final Fantasy Unlimited but don't actually watch it though because it is repetitive, tedious and hella dumb.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Well... like, even beyond that, Nomura has literally never directed a Final Fantasy game. Versus XIII would his first if it ever came out. All his direction work has been on Kingdom Hearts. He's done character designs, and I think he worked partially on the story of FFVII. I honestly have no idea where anyone could imagine that Tetsuya Nomura is the dude trying to ruin Final Fantasy. He barely interacts with it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he responsible for the FF7 Compilation material?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Pesky Splinter posted:

Only as director for Advent Children, and Last Order (and the latter was only as a superviser).

Who was responsible for the catastrophe that was Dirge of Cerberus?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Ither posted:

Unless I'm doing it wrong, Requiem for a Goddess is the seriously the worst DLC I've ever purchased.

You either have to turtle the battle for hours or die enough times to get strong enough to win. Who the gently caress came up with this?

A company that believes it is still hot poo poo despite rapidly losing all the goodwill they had amassed from their previous work.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Pesky Splinter posted:

His designs aren't too bad when he manages to restrain himself. Or when someone else restrains him. With a straight jacket comprised only of zippers, buckles and belts. And uneven length sleeves.

His monster designs are pretty cool though.

He designed all the characters in Dirge of Cerberus, right?
There is no one on Earth who can defend this man after seeing the character designs for Dirge of Cerberus.

EDIT VVVV He designed the FF8 guys, right? They were pretty grounded and fairly sober.

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 16, 2012

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

It's nice to hear that they haven't hosed up Seph's look.

I forgot to mention this earlier but people were complimenting XIII's character designs and even though I am one of those few people who liked Snow, his stupid hat ruined everything. It's just totally unnecessary.

The rest of the designs I didn't really notice or care about. Although didn't Serah have like a sode-ponytail? As a fan of the 80s, I can respect that.

Have you seen his hatless FFXIII-2 design? That bandanna is a godsend, I tell you what.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Hahaha, yeah. Speaking of David Bowie....

Only one of those guys is pulling it off

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

Does it now? Vaan was just confused as a generic Nomura character and, dear god, Ashe's design is a terrible abortion. Hookers don't dress like that, much less Queens.

I love XII, but its character design wasn't "much better".

The worst part was when people tried to defend and justify it saying it made sense since she lived in a desert.
Except desert people are covered head to toe to protect from the burning sun, horribly dry wind, and to avoid losing much moisture so it doesn't even make sense.

Turnip Fritter posted:

To be fair though, if you stood a naked NES Fighter sprite next to a naked NES Frionel sprite you wouldn't be able to tell the difference either. Or a PS/GBA/PSP/iOS Knight next to Paladin Cecil, and the only thing differentiating Bartz from these archetypes is his hair color.
All those games had tiny low-res pixelated graphics, so they're not remotely the same.

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 18, 2012

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Nathilus posted:

To everyone who talked poo poo about Advent Children, gently caress you. It's flawed in various ways but the nonstop barrage of awesome characters, locations, and combat make it a one way ticket to nerdgasmville.

Here are some things that actually happen over the course of the movie: Tifa gets hurled at a wall and owns the loving landing, nearly destroying the back wall of Aeris' church. Cloud beats the poo poo out of Bahamut in mid-air after being boosted into the stratosphere by a gravity defying chain of his friends. Everyone smugly sits around on the airship while Cloud beats the crap out of Sephiroth by using the Six Paths of Pain. Cloud continually pulls other swords out of his sword :black101:. Reno and Rude walk around all over the place being awesome and getting their asses kicked. Rufus outshines anything he does in the games and pisses off the whiny wannabe Sephiroths by DODGING A loving BULLET and hurling himself off of a giant building with Jenova's core in hand.

I could go on and on. Such a good movie. Then again my favorite movie ever is Big Trouble in Little China, so clearly I have a tolerance for good cheese.

Those are 15 minutes surrounded by 75 minutes of nothing but :qq: and "character development? What the gently caress is that?"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Himuro posted:

I really miss that element of Final Fantasy and I haven't played 13-2 yet so I don't know if it revived it. But I think the worst solution is putting the best weapon out in the middle of nowhere, with no reward at all, like it's a freebie. I remember being angry that they pulled this with Barret's ultimate weapon in VII - making it a boring treasure chest drop right before fighting Hojo.

Unless Barret wasn't in your party when you walk into that screen, because then the chest would not spawn and the weapon would be lost forever.
That kind of obtusery is also a tremendous pain in the rear end. Give us personalized quests for each character to get their best weapon, but don't make it so that they're so hard that once you get said weapon there are no challenges left in the game.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I completely agree, too many excellent Windower plugins to pass up. And the graphics will be a little nicer. Why hasn't anyone else tried a console MMO?

Aren't they releasing FFXIV 2.0 on the PS3?
Other than graphics, how good is the Xbox 360 version of FFXI? I keep seeing used copies in my local game store, and I'm kinda curious.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Barudak posted:

Yes, FFXIV 2.0 will go to the PS3, although its release date isn't known yet.

The 360 version of FFXI is really good only if you have the chat pad. Its how I played FFXI during my time and the controls/chatpad set up worked really well. If you want to try it there are copies of FFXI with all expansions going for like 10 bucks on the 360.

That said, I can't imagine a PC made in the last few years having a problem with FFXI, the drat game is a decade old upgraded graphics or not.

My laptop is in absolutely awful condition, and I'm due for a change but I'm moving countries very soon and would rather wait so I can get a PC.
Now, I recall that I mostly see copies of things like FFXI: Chains of Promathia. Could I get that or is it only an expansion of the base game? And do I need to pay for an account or will my Gold account suffice?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Barudak posted:

You pay separately from your gold account; FFXI is the only 360 online game that does not need gold to function and it was a work around MS promised just so they could have some sort of Final Fantasy on the system.

Every copy of FFXI includes the base game+whatever version it is expansions. Obviously get the most recent version of it with all the drat expansions and mini-expansions and what have you as otherwise you'd have to buy them separately. After that go to the goon thread in MMO HMO and get ready to be laughed at for being one of the like 2 dozen people to ever play the game that way.

Hahah ok yeah I'll just wait next year for a new computer and FFXIV 2

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
There's no Square-Enix megathread
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/subaseka/
New TWEWY coming up?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So apparently my local (mexican) game store is taking preorders for Final Fantasy Versus 13, and it's set to launch on December 31 :psyduck:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Her chestpiece looks like an apron :cripes:
Is it even supposed to be able to bend? Or is it just one solid piece that would inhibit all movement?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

TurnipFritter posted:

For what little it's worth: Lightning gets different costumes and apparently you can change the colors too? She also has different weapons and shields (but these are apparently linked to her paradigms or whatever they call them here). The Famitsu article says that you can customize her appearance significantly, so it's theoretically possible that you can make her not look loving stupid as hell if you try hard enough.

Yeah but this is what they'll be sticking on the game's cover and on every bit of marketing and promotional material.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

quote:

The game’s conclusion can be experienced straight from the package. (No download content will need to be purchased, unlike Final Fantasy XIII-2.)
The fact they have to tote this as a MAJOR FEATURE AND IMPROVEMENT gives me great hope for the game :rolleyes:

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

"Lightning’s new costume is designed by Tetsuya Nomura."

No poo poo

That said this is starting to look a bit like Legend of Final Fantasy Majora's Mask, which I can get behind
This honestly feels like Nomura WANTS to retire, but due to the weird work culture they've got going over there in Japan, is completely unable to do so and is now resorting to trying to sabotage himself.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
A closer look at a couple of Lightning's new WEARS or whatever they're called.
HOBO LIGHTNING

Light "We Couldn't Decide If We Wanted Her To Wear A Thong Or Show Off Her Panties" Ning

Are these designed by Nomura? Because I think it's time the guy retired already.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Endorph posted:

I have no idea what he's talking about either and I love 9.

There's a dungeon later on where weapons with low stats will do more damage than weapons with high stats. You don't even need to save up your old gear, though, because there's a merchant nearby that sells that stuff.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Death By Yogurt posted:

They are really going full fan-service with this third game. Here's a collector's edition bundle for the trilogy.

They're including both previous games? I guess they gotta find a way to get rid of surplus inventory.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

I can deal with the stupid names but I won't be able to deal with the dubbing if it follows the same style as the subtitles there.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Azure_Horizon posted:

It's not. FFXV still has remnants of being Versus XIII; using the FNC mythology is one of those. It's not as bad as you realize if given a competent writer this time.

I'm just loving waiting for them to reveal that Lightning's the goddess in FFXV, just to try to keep shoving her into every game now.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Azure_Horizon posted:

You're best off skipping the entire game altogether. You miss nothing.

Personally I thought FF8 had the most interesting and chillaxed atmosphere. It's got this early 2000's feel that, combined with the soundtrack, makes it one of the more interesting settings in the series.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
To better describe how much of a creep Toriyama is, I've brought this picture with me here today.

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 30, 2013

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Final Fantasy X entered development in 1999. Let's just say that was January 1, 1999. With a release of July 19, 2001 in Japan, that equals roughly 30 months development to release. FFX/X-2HD was announced Sept 11, 2011. It is now 24 months later, and we won't get it until possibly January 1, 2014 or later, giving it a development of 27+ months.

It has taken roughly as long to make the game from the ground up as it has to pretty it up. Squeenix seriously needs to get its poo poo together.

But... but making sequels nobody wants using already-made assets is haaaaard :saddowns:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

No; it is the worst game in the series.

Even worse than 13-1?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

bobservo posted:

There's a 100% chance Square no longer has access to the resources that would allow them to re-render the backgrounds at a higher resolution.

What I don't understand is why don't they just get an art intern and ask him to re-render or vectorize the backgrounds at higher resolution over let's say, a month? Would that really break bank?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

They literally only did that for those games and nothing else they've translated. It is a stylistic decision, not their default style.

They're kinda threatening to have Versus be like that, no? That would be absolutely awful.

ImpAtom posted:

That isn't the kind of thing you assign to an untrained intern and not have it coming out looking like complete and utter poo poo.

Can it look more poo poo than low res backgrounds on HD displays?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Personally I very much enjoyed FF8's settings it's the best setting of any ff game, what with it being a really chill place that mixes a contemporary period with super modernity without jumping up its own rear end like FF13.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Barudak posted:

Memory said it was Selphie and I'm almost there in game so if it turns out to be Irvine I'm going to figure out who wrote his character and force them to enroll in a writing class. Irvine is already in the running for "worst FF party member ever" and if its him not mentioning the amnesia he's gonna have an undisputed top spot.

It's Irvine. Selphie claimed that while they didn't use GFs in Galbadia Garden, her memory still got hosed up because she used a gf she found when she was younger.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So is it for real they're making an FFX-3 or did they just make that lovely audio drama in case they decide to do so?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

A barrier that shifts between melee/magic immunity/weakness would be interesting. I think it's been done in other MMOs as well.

You'd still be essentially locking melee classes, though, since them being able to do magical damage takes a long while, and they'll be absolutely terrible at it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Ok so I started playing FFX HD and I made sure to get the Besaid Destruction Sphere's treasure. That's the thing I need to do if I want to get the postgame super dick bosses, right? Is there a list of things that are missable and that I should keep an eye on? I know that you need to find this thing after fighting some boss called Yunalesca to get Tidus's best weapon and that is missable, but are there more things?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Man I'm really enjoying FFX. Tidus is a hella goofy fella and I enjoy the very bright, vibrant colors after playing Dark Souls 2 for hours.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I kinda don't like the Overlimit mechanic. It takes waaay too long to build up and it doesn't do that much damage, at least by this point in the game. Tidus's Spiral Cut barely does a bit above damage over his regular attack, even when doing the QTE right. Also, how/when do I learn more overlimits?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Momomo posted:

Each character learns new Overlimits in different ways. Tidus gets his by using them a bunch, I think. Auron gets more by gaining Jecht Sphere throughout the game. Yuna, Lulu and Rikku only have their one, and Wakka gets his from playing Blitzball. Kihmarhi's is of course the Blue Magic from different enemies.

Dammit I like Wakka but I hate the fact that he'll lag so far behind everyone because I loving hated blitzball and never want to do it again :(

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Holy gently caress FFX am I sick and tired of your lovely dialogue scenes where I have to "wait for Yuna" which basically means wander around everywhere talking to everybody trying to find the next event flag :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I'm playing FFX and I'm at Home at the part where you have to rescue Yuna and Tidus finds out what happens to summoners and are YOU loving SERIOUS THERE IS A SOUND CLIP GOING ON AND ON AND ON AND ON OVER AND OVER AND OVER of somebody saying what appears to be "AN ANNOYING CHANT"?