Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I really hope we get a retranslation of FF7. That game actually has a fairly cool plot and Cloud is actually a really interesting character, but all of that was lost in the hilariously bad translation that made the plot essentially gibberish and Cloud into a whiny rear end in a top hat.

I really suspect it would end badly. I remember when Advent Children actually had Tseng be alive there was endless bitching about Square retconning their story for no reason when that was actually the result of a mistranslation in the first place. Now imagine that on a larger scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Himuro posted:

I wish FFCC had online. The game would be a top-tier FF it did.

loving seriously. I would have killed for that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I played it for that sweet (terrible) rogue-a-like mode.

The Roguelike mode had the most hilarious twist though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Square-Enix pretty clearly considers the "International" or Final Mix versions of their games to be the 'offical' ones. Kingdom Hearts, FFVII, and FFX all have spinoffs or sequels which directly reference content only available in the International/Final Mix/whatever versions. It makes no sense for them not to redo that version. Like, the only reason not to is if you assume S-E is actively malicious and looking to make fans sad, and that seems a bit much to assume even from S-E.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

What was different in the international version of VII?

Possibly related, I remember reading ages ago that there was a book or something about the final fantasy series that talked about how the world of VII and the world of X are related somehow, like one is the past of the other. Anyone know anything about that, or am I making poo poo up?

There were a few changes. They were all from the US release. (Thus the "International" branding.) The most noteworthy were Emerald and Ruby weapon, and the flashback with Zack in the truck/his death. The latter being basically the entire basis for Crisis Core.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PhilippAchtel posted:

FFXIII-2 can only be said to be better than FFXIII because the latter was so atrocious. Both are just so awful. I don't know who I'm mad at more, Nomura for driving my favorite series into the ground in his quest to take the RPG out of Final Fantasy (!!) or myself for buying the second game, knowing what I did about the first.

Uh. Nomura? Why are you blaming Nomura for FFXIII? He did some character designs for it and literally nothing else. Why is he getting the blame for it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Yeah, Nomura was only responsible for the face design of the main characters IIRC. He barely has anything to do with XIII. These days he's too busy trying to come up with ways to make a mindfuck out of Kingdom Hearts.

Well... like, even beyond that, Nomura has literally never directed a Final Fantasy game. Versus XIII would his first if it ever came out. All his direction work has been on Kingdom Hearts. He's done character designs, and I think he worked partially on the story of FFVII. I honestly have no idea where anyone could imagine that Tetsuya Nomura is the dude trying to ruin Final Fantasy. He barely interacts with it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he responsible for the FF7 Compilation material?

No. He was a director on Advent Children but that's about it. Otherwise he's only been a character designer or producer. (And I think he was only a producer on Crisis Core.)

Calaveron posted:

Who was responsible for the catastrophe that was Dirge of Cerberus?

I guess you'd blame Takayoshi Nakazato, but he's pretty much a nobody. DoC was the definition of shovelware.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaseous Snake posted:

Oh Godammit how did I not see that? It's just hard to believe that was intentional.

Considering Yuna has dress spheres which directly reference Tidus in various ways, I can't imagine how it couldn't be.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest, I think the sprites are more responsible for the charm than Amano's artwork, as much as I like it. FF6 in particular has incredibly expressive characters that are almost entirely the result of the sprites, no matter how simple they are.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest, I don't like Nomura's designs but "it isn't coldly utilitarian with every bit of clothing serving a practical purpose" is like the least of its problems. The point of a character design is to communicate things to the view, not to be practical. Obviously you can't get too ridiculous but practicality isn't particularly important as long as it is communicating things well.

The problems with Gimpmask McBeltsandzippers from DoC or whatever is that they don't communicate anything except maybe "I am a bad mans." There's no personality to the design from a visual perspective, it's just random excess. The character has no personality and his character design just exacerbates that.

The FFVII designs are a mixed bag as well. Cloud is fine. Just looking at him gives you everything you need to know about the character. (Or how the character presents himself at least.) The oversized sword and glowing eyes are good symbolism for "he is unnaturally strong," the uniform implies his soldier background, and the spiky hair gives him a distinctive visual from any distance. It isn't great but it's functional.

Tifa, on the other hand, is awful. She's supposed to be a girl-next-door type who is also a kung-fu fighter and her design just... doesn't communicate that at all. Her design is like they came up with "fanservice" first and never really altered it. Her AC design isn't exactly fantastic but it communicates the character a lot better. It doesn't matter that her first is simple because it's not very good at communicating the character.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 18, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

Actualy Tifa and Aerith's designs are kind of interesting because in many ways they give you expectations that they're different archetypes then they really are. It actually fits pretty well with how Cloud presents himself as a tough soldier type when he's really kind of an insecure dork.

While this is true, I think you can see the difference between Aerith and Tifa more clearly. Aerith is, at first glance, communicating the "pink pure princess" kind of design. However, second glance reveals inconsistancies with that. She is wearing a pink dress, but with a darker red jacket overtop. Instead of the heels/stylish shoes you'd get in a lot of princess-y designs, she's wearing thick heavy boots. The metal bracelets make no sense but are thick and heavy looking. It gives her an overall 'rougher' look that isn't apparent at first glance. Honestly, as far as communicating the character goes, Aerith is probably one of the better designs in FFVII.

With Tifa, there's supposed to be a division but it isn't communicated through the visuals. The idea you'd get from looking at her is different from what she actually is, but without much of the Aerith-style subversion of the design.

I really dislike most of the FFVIII designs, but Seifer is a good one. He looks like a confident self-aggrandizing douchebag from the very start but his clothing gradually becomes ripped and tattered and by the end he looks frankly kind of pathetic. Just showing someone Seifer's design and its progression communicates his character arc without needing to know anything else about the character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pw pw pw posted:

If you looked at a naked tidus next to a naked vaan, you would have absolutely no way of knowing which was which.

Uh. Nomura didn't design for FFXII. Akihiko Yoshida did. The same guy who did Vagrant Story/FFT/ect.

Seriously, what the hell causes this? Is Nomura the victim of a gypsy curse or something?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I honestly don't get the complaining over Vaan's design when Ashe exists. I mean loving seriously.

Look at that disaster.

I can't even begin to describe her clothing situation and how awful it is. I mean it's a terrible clothing design to begin with and then meshing that with her character and... argh. I hate Ashe's loving design so much.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 18, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Ashe was a fantastic main character and that "tough, independent female" was something people threw around a lot for Lightning. Before I played XIII I went in expecting something similar to Ashe.

Well they were "similar" in that they both had a lot of personal sadness to deal with. Only, whereas Ashe's issues were shown in a sympathetic and understandable way, Lightning just acted like a bitch for the longest time while also beating up the guy who was actually trying to save her sister.

Ashe was okay, aside from her costume, but it honestly sounds like you say she's "good" because she isn't aggressive or angry and therefore she isn't a "bitch." Which... there's problems with that.

Snow was a douchebag layabout with a hero complex. This is his stated personality. He screws up repeatedly and in general does a fairly poor job of things. Lightning is generally uninterested in his poo poo and she punches him after, as far as she is concerned, her sister died. There's nothing particularly outrageous about that poo poo, it's one of the more believable parts of an otherwise pretty dumb game.

I can understand disliking the character, but seriously, the fact that you use "bitch" really implies the problem is that a female character did it, even if you don't intend it that way. I don't know how good a character Lightning is, but as far as being a female character goes, she's pretty good at avoiding a lot of the poo poo that FF tends to get into.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 18, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Well I don't really like overly-aggressive characters in general when their aggression is misplaced. It's just that FF is pretty lacking in the "cold-hearted but secretly suffering" males. I see that more in females in RPGs anyway. It's called Ice Queen for a reason i guess.

She isn't an "Ice Queen" archetype. She'e exactly the opposite, overly-emotional and easily angered. That's the entire point of the character. She punches Snow and screams at him and in general acts on her emotions to a ridiculous degree. Maybe the dub hosed something up here but Maaya Sakamoto plays her as incredibly emotional, not as a cold heartless individual.

I also don't particularly see how it's misplaced. Snow is... well, he's an idiot. He got a lot of people killed. He fucks up on a regular basis and don't think about things at all. The only reason things worked out even slightly is that they're in a JRPG and that poo poo pays off. Frankly, I thought Lightning's writing got worse when she stopped being willing to call people on their stupid poo poo and gave in to the Power of Friendship.

Really FFXIII would have been better if you had characters willing to not just spout friendship speeches and fall into Snow's mindset because it basically renders them a bunch of interchangeable blobs by the end.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 18, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Fair point about her not being an Ice Queen. That's my bad.

However she didn't punch Snow because he got people killed. Hope had a legitimate gripe with Snow but Light obviously just didn't like him from the start. During the game she's just frustrated with her own powerlessness when it came to helping Serah and so she takes it out on an easy target. He isn't responsible for making her a l'Cie and he didn't really do anything except try to ave Serah from her fate. Like I said already, I respect his determination to save her whereas Lightning just gave up.

The thing to remember. (And I admit I donno how much of this came across in the US version) is that the whole "Focus" thing is identical to Death as far as anyone is concerned. It isn't like 'she trapped in crystal, oh no." It is "She is dead. That thing there is her corpse." The entire thing is basically a game about a punch of people getting a horrible incurable illness that gives them superpowers. It isn't until later on that we find out that, nope, you're able to come back from it and you don't actually die. It's also the reason Sazh was like a second away from shooting himself in the head. (And he didn't because the sequence where Sazh doesn't shoot himself in the head represents the exact point everything becomes completely incoherent in the game.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Did you play the original Japanese version?

Well this is from the only script of the game I could find online:

So it seemed to me that nobody really knew anything about l'Cie. It was all just rumors and myths so I didn't think Serah was actually dead and I didn't think the game wanted me to think that either. It introduced a couple viewpoints for you to consider.

Yeah, I played the Japanese version. I haven't played the US version. In the the Japanese version it's really clear that Snow is basically freaking out and going "She's not dead! She's not dead!" The stuff about Eternal Life is coached in the same kind of terms as "and then you die and ascend to heaven where you live in eternity," further cementing the "the Fal'cie are Gods" stuff. Snow's thing is that he latches onto it and starts going "W.. well, then I'll see her again! That's it!" From what I recall, Daisuke Ono basically plays it like a guy grasping for straws. I'd bet Troy Baker would too if FFXIII's English voice acting direction wasn't poo poo, because Troy Baker's quite good.

I mean, you're really clearly not supposed to think anyone's acting sensibly at that point. They're all suffering tremendous freakouts. The closest to levelheaded are Sazh and Vanille. (Sazh because he's levelheaded and Vanille because she's a dirty liar.) It takes a long time before any of them manage to get themselves together. (And sadly, they do a poo poo poor job of it because FFXIII has issues.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 19, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Have you played 12 in Japanese then? What did you think of Ashe compared to lightning since you might have a more "genuine" perspective?

I only played through part of FFXII:International so I can't really speak for the whole thing. I liked Ashe quite a bit aside from her costume but I think the translation does a really good job with her so your opinion wouldn't really change either way I think. v:shobon:v

I think they're pretty different characters. I think Lightning's the best character in FFXIII but that's faint praise because... FFXIII is loving FFXIII. Ashe is a good character but I think she suffers somewhat from the way the game is structured with there being like 3-4 potential 'main' protagonists and some shirtless kid who is around way too often and it leads to me wishing she got more time.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 19, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Are we really giving Ashe poo poo for showing too much skin?

.. Yes? Most of those are bad designs. I was complaining about Tifa earlier as well. "Oh, well, other designs are bad too" is a pretty poor excuse.

Her design is awful. She is wearing a hot pink miniskirt with a baby blue oversize belt, some kind of black half-corset.. her design is a mess. Even if it wasn't, it does a poo poo job of conveying her character. She is a widowed queen dealing with serious political issues and she's wearing that. It's loving ridiculous.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 19, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

I wasn't saying it was a good design, but complaining that she looked like a "hooker" when she actually shows very little skin is a stupid complaint. Yes, her skirt is short, along with the skirts of 80% of video game females. Despite the short skirt, she's not used as an obvious sex-appeal character (unlike Fran, who is).

The clothing she is wearing is less important than where and how that clothing is cut. It's ridiculous clothing that doesn't even work for the "Well, they're in a desert and so wear little" sort of mindset. It's not quite "hookerwear" but the design philosophy of the outfit is clearly appeal and body emphasis more than anything else. Emphasis-focused clothing can actually be kind of weirder than pure bared skin depending on where and how it is designed.

The fact that she's not an obvious sex-appeal character actually makes it worse She's supposed to be someone who is treated as a serious, solemn and important character and they gave her a hot pink miniskirt. With crappy sex appeal characters at least the sex appeal works with the purpose of the character instead of against it.

FFT had some really great female character designs which is why Ashe is so frustrating.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 19, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Looks like someone's never heard of Ioana Spangenberg.

...but even she has a rib cage.

Jesus Christ. I... dear god. That's terrifying.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

[e]: Hey, ImpAtom, you said you played the international version, did you play up to this bit? I'm just curious as to what the original Japanese stuff for that Judge Drace scene was - like the idiom of the mummer's farce and motley, that sort of thing?

No, sorry. I honestly don't remember that bit at all. I don't think I got far enough. I wasn't a huge fan of FFXII's gameplay and the International Version didn't really grab me. I think there's a "retranslated" script floating around by people who didn't like the Alexander O. Smith translation but I'm not sure where to find it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eh. The Gackt thing is dumb but considering that we're at a point where actors appearing almost unchanged as supporting roles in game is actually a "thing", the only odd part is that it's a Japanese dude in a Japanese RPG and not Martin Sheen as the Illusive Man or whatever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

Um, you don't quite understand. You see, :nws: THIS :nws: was a billboard in Japan. Like, on the major streets. In front of everyone. Naked. With airbrushed balls. Ugh, Square, what the gently caress?

I'm... not clear what your argument is here at all? If this is a Final Fantasy ad, I sure can't find any example of it. So "At some point, Gackt posed naked for a billboard" or something?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

Yeah, that was a lovely example, it was the first very popular game with a large following that came to my head.

Ok, for a better example, Lady Gaga is the main antagonist in Max Payne 4. She wears sexy, revealing, crazy clothes like she does on stage and sings in every other scene. She doesn't have anything to do with the story, but Rockstar really wanted to exploit her popularity.

So, like, for example, having an actress on a popular television show appear to motion capture and voice herself, and who you can have sex with?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That is still 35 hours of two bright colored blobs screaming "PARADOX LIGHTNING PARADOX PARADOX LIGHTNING CAIUS PARADOX" over and over incoherently.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, it's basically supposed to be three elemental-themed beasts in one. Kind of a chimera but goofier.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 23, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Of course they loving did, did they really think us that stupid? It's insulting! How else did they manage to poo poo out XIII-2 in 18 months?

Because it actually isn't that hard to put out a game in 18 months when you're using the same engine and a number of the same models and artwork. The reason why FFXIII took an eternity to come out is because they hosed up its production massively, not because the game actually needs to take that long to make.

FFXIII-2 isn't exactly a high-budget production and it shows in a lot of ways. 18 months is pretty drat believable as a development period for it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 24, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

I know that, the bit I took issue with was the "we haven't recycled content" section. Of course they're going to!

They did! They have! Why say they haven't? I just don't get why they said it. Even more so when they proudly said "we've made enough content for two games". We expect it to have recycled content or some kind.

When they said recycled, they mean that they didn't use the content they cut from FFXIII, not that they didn't recycle content, or at least that is their claim. Not that they didn't recycle content from FFXIII at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Oh!

...oh...

That's what I get for being an idiot and not reading it properly. :doh:
Well, I was wrong then. :)

Though part of me is cynical enough to think that they did use at least some of the cut content.

Well, if they didn't, they're kind of dumb, but "S-E is kind of dumb" is actually easier for me to believe. v:shobon:v

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm really glad it didn't have that honestly. Having one weapon which is just objectively better than all others is boring. I wish they'd actually done better about balancing the weapons so that they were all valid choices.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

It's not boring if you balance postgame enemies so that they're still challenging with that equipment.

It is to me because it limits your build to "equip this weapon." FFXIII screwed it up, but if you had multiple valid weapon choices with their own pluses and negatives, then it would actually add extra potential choice to the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

FF6, 7, 8, and 9 handled this perfectly well while still having pretty obvious 'best' weapons. FFX-2, also (FFX's ultimate weapons were pretty rockin' but the ideal armor build was pretty obvious). FFXIII could also handle it perfectly well by having 'best' weapons but keeping its current level of variety on the accessory side of things (or greater variety, in fact, since too many of the accessories were pretty boring and had little to nothing in the way of unique effects).

I really don't think any of them handled it well actually. I found it incredibly boring that there was a "best" weapon and I just got it, equipped it, and was done. FFVII at least theoretically asked you to equip other poo poo to level materia up.

I don't understand why you'd want lesscustomization from weapons? What benefit does having one ultimate weapon have over having a variety of weapons with their own uses? I guess that's what I don't get. Why would you want one choice over multiple choices when it comes to character builds?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 25, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tempo 119 posted:

The guy writing it though, no offense, but I'm pretty sure FF8 killed his dog or something. What other impression could you possibly get through that kind of lens?

I really dislike FF8 but this is honestly a problem with LPs in general. If a LP dislikes a game, for whatever reason, they can make it look a lot worse than it is. They tend to focus on the negatives, exacerbate problems that exist or just in general can change the tone of something. On the reverse, someone who likes a weird or bad game can make it look a lot better than it is.

That isn't to say FF8 isn't a total mess plotwise because it is. I doubt I could write about its plot without being snarky or sarcastic about it because loving seriously that plot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

The problem is after that his existence sorta ceases to be meaningful. His purpose is fulfilled so he moves to the background.

I had a similar problem with the Shadow-Relm-Strago triad. The three of them together have a rather interesting thing going but in the context of the larger plot they sort of don't exist.

Cyan is an important character thematically if not directly to the story. Same for the trio. They're not directly connected to the Espers stuff, but nobody but Celes and Terra really is.

Mog is... well, he's a slam-dancing Moogle and has a really bitchin' unique item. That's something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

FF13 has a delicious super-smooth difficulty curve, though the learning curve is too shallow for too much of the game. But the difficulty curve completely breaks down with the postgame content; there's a certain set of stuff (3rd tier weapons, double-CP accessory, assorted other top-tier accessories) that you basically need to abuse the game and/or grind for hours and hours to obtain, which is why you see so many strategies featuring abuse of Vanille's 'Death' spell in order to beat a bunch of the game's toughest bosses. FFXIII's balance completely breaks down and it actually *makes* you break it if you want to finish a lot of the game's toughest content.

This isn't really true though. The reason people grind for hours and hours isn't to finish the content, or even to finish the content with 5 stars. It's to get the Achievements. People recommended Vanille's "death" spell because it is the most mindless way to grind drops so you can earn the trophies/achievements. You can 5 star pretty much everything without grinding, it just depends on how you approach the battle. The people who freaked the gently caress out about turtles were doing so because you needed to do ridiculous things to Platinum the game, not to do the actual content.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My problem with FFXIII-2 is what happened above. I went to an area slightly too high a level for me and worked my way through it. The end result is that I was so overpowered that I sleepwalked over pretty much the entire rest of the game. I honestly disliked FFXIII-2 for this more than any other thing. It was so easy to overlevel that any interesting part of the combat system became nullified by how overleveled I was.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Krad posted:

It would've been so easy to give any kind of motivation to Marche:

- He misses his real parents and he knows everyone else will as well (sorry bout your dead mother Mewt, man up already)
- A world mostly without grownups is not the right place to be
- Laws suck, screw them

Considering there's a mission where the kids who bullied Mewt show up as horrible zombies, it's pretty easy to point out that this world isn't awesome for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pierson posted:

Was this confirmed for the US/EU? There was going to be an english patch but the people working on it gave up. :(

It has not been mentioned at E3 so it is extremely unlikely we're getting the PSP version.

There are rumors of a "Type-0 International" for the Vita but nothing to back them up.