Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Pesky Splinter posted:

I take back my original view of FFXIII-2's ending.

I'm glad everyone is still loving dead and/or doomed, or soon to die.

Against my better judgment, I've decided to start watching the Legend of the Crystal's anime thing to see if it's as bad as people say. All I'm getting so far is a pretty sweet FFV main theme remix, Amano-brand featherless Chocobos, and animation and voice acting that's so 90s it's painful. Enjoyable pulpy camp thus far though.

[e]: Though some of it...what the gently caress Japan!? Pantyshots? Making someone's rear end glow? :mad:

Hahaha, I watched that at a friend's house when the only FF game I had played was Mystic Quest. I had no idea what the hell was going on and for a while I figured I had just imagined that it had something to do with Final Fantasy. Even at 10 the glowing-butt stuff was like :what:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

It would have been pretty rad if they had shown fake-ivalice to be extremely dangerous for the other kids there, have a few get seriously injured or even die(they get better), so Marche decides to end the fantasy because the other kids aren't having totally awesome adventures like he is.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Xad posted:

Fighting the Minotaur with a Ranger/Chemist combo wasn't as easy, but seeing him about to cast Holy and then die due to lack of MP made me laugh.
I thought he always does that?

I was going to join the Fiesta, but somebody posted that hack that tweaked the job system and included the GBA jobs, so I checked that out instead since I've only played FFV once before with the fan-translation (Jikuu magic? Hiryuus? The game definitely benefits from being professionally translated). The hack gives you a job ability and three open slots, which opens up some interesting combos and can leave you potentially screwed out of being able to attack if you're not careful. Some of the abilities got switched around, which was frustrating when I discoved !Rapid-fire had been moved to Samurai and Gladiators and removed from Rangers after Bartz spent most of the game as a Ranger. The redundancy is a little irritating (you can learn !rapid-fire, dual-wield and ABP up twice in the hack).

Having early access to the GBA jobs doesn't change things up too much, although getting Dancer at the very beginning is pretty broken- my white mage would out-damage my knight sometimes.

Necromancer never got used because I never killed any of the required monsters, which aren't available until late-game anyway. The only skills you can use, then are !Oath (summons a demon?) and Undead, but why waste the AP on them?

Oracle sounds like a neat idea on paper but was totally useless aside from getting ABP Up (which in the hack is also on White Mages, which is just silly) because all of their magic uses a counter before activating. Battles would go by so fast I only saw one cast of Condemn go off, which did middling damage, and half the time Condemn wouldn't stick to bosses, where it would be potentially useful. If it weren't for the high magic bonus and Read Ahead (lowers encounter rate), they'd be a total waste.

Gladiator is a bit like the Dragoon, a heavy armored, heavy hitting class whose unique skills are a bit odd and fun to play with but aren't terribly useful. !Finisher does critical damage to one target but has a low hit-rate, and !Bladeblitz is basically !Kick but with a weapon. At least Gladiators look cool. Lure (I think) increases the encounter rate, which could be useful for grinding more quickly, but it alters the RNG, making it so you can't use quicksaving to cheat you way to fighting Movers ever other battle in the Void.

Cannoneers are my favorite class, not because they're useful (which they are) but because of their costumes. They get EXP Up, which in the hack is also on Magic Knights (again, silly) and !Combine, which is more limited than !Mix in that it's pretty strictly offensive and doesn't do all the weird stuff !Mix does, but is still fun to mess around with and can help inflict statuses on bosses, if you can figure out the right combo. !Open Fire isn't very useful in the endgame (simply because it only hits one target once) but when you get it early it becomes a great ability for a supportive character like a chemist or time-mage. The damage ignores defense and inflicts some statuses like instant death or confusion if the right attack is used. There's really no downside to it, it's free, packs a solid punch and let my time-mage/chemist help out with random encounters from the backrow.

It was a fun hack, but it really only made the game easier to break wide open. The extra jobs are fun, but for the majority of the game you'll still rely on your bread and butter stuff like dual-wield and boosted summons.

EDIT: Also, if you give Galuf an Advanced-only job, he's got his Freelancer sprite in the menu and is invisible in battle. Poor Galuf, he doesn't get a giant hat or a death-mask. :(

Zonko_T.M. fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 22, 2012

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

If you don't want to take the time to buff, Chemists can still do stuff like using Succubus Kiss (I think that's what it's called) and with dark matter they can use a number of damaging attacks, although Succubus Kiss seemed to always do more damage for me and ended up being a huge help on some high-defense bosses I wasn't really prepared for.

Is the GBA version's extra-dungeon worth bothering with? I mean, is it fun, or is it the typical slog through super-powered enemies to fight stat-boosted recolors of the game's original superbosses?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

GBA version, the translation is the best, no load times like the PSX version, you can use X-fight and berserkers in the final battle without any issues (I had no idea that was even an issue, it doesn't really matter but I thought it was interesting) and you can do the bonus dungeon afterwards, if so inclined. The only downside is the music doesn't sound as good, or so I've heard. I never really noticed.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

What's the quick/bio bug? I don't think I've heard of that one. Do you cast bio and then spam quick so his health drops but he doesn't get a turn or something?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

They should have had the name prompt pop up when she asks what it's called.
Garnet: "Zidane, what is this called?"
Zidane: [name prompt]
That way even if you name her something dumb like buttface or dongs, it's just Zidane being a jerk.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

It might be worth it to look up what monsters have something worth stealing, a lot of enemies carry potions or other things that aren't really worth the time. There are a few enemies, especially towards the end of the game, that have really nice equipment you can steal, but they're pretty rare.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Yeah uh sorry guys, he clearly meant Mystic Quest.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Officially there's no connection between Ultimecia and Rinoa, Ultimecia is just some random sorceress who decided life should be a little more :catdrugs: but the idea that Rinoa is Ultimecia is an old fan explanation to make the game's story a little less "fire everything at a wall and see what sticks". There's no direct proof, but it's an easy connection to make.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

If you don't have enough ability crystals to equip EVERY status-blocking ability, make sure you hit the ones that make you lose control- block stone, heat, confuse, I don't think you can block stop or death unfortunately.
If you're not using Freya's dragon crest, Zidane's thievery or Quina's Frog Drop powered up to 9999, consider powering up some of those. Freya's is the easiest, plus she can cast regen on your party. Doomsday/Doomsday Sword with shadow-absorbing armor is a tactic I like to use, although some characters can only block shadow-element attacks.

Then go fight Ozma!

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Make him a ninja and let him block the doorway with his corpse.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Blade Runner has a guy sleeping with a woman who looks like she's in her 20s but is actually only a few years old. How anime is that, on a scale of Fist of the North Star to Yu-Gi-Oh?

Ya'll are a bunch of nerds.

Is there any official word on Type-0 being released in the states? I thought it had vanished along with XIII Versus. How long has it been out in Japan?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Bear Sleuth posted:

There's never been a weaker story or cast in a Final Fantasy but it's pretty light and doesn't get in the way.
Is this including Mystic Quest?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Steal once per battle, bosses,always carry good loot, play Chocobo hot & cold to get good equipment early. That's.basically it.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

QuantaStarFire posted:

As someone who only knows Zack from the side stuff in FF7 (where his entire character was basically being the base for Cloud's delusion), why is his being #1 a good thing?
Because when you take the Gackt out of Crisis Core it's pretty faithful to the original FF7, and Zack was a really likable protagonist who was upbeat and cheerful without being irritating or completely stupid. I'd say he's most similar to Zidane, without the playboy stuff. I'm surprised he's at #1, though, did Crisis Core make much of a splash in Japan?

I'm also surprised Bartz is #6. Did Dissidia give him more personality than V?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I figured Auron was so low for the same reason Neir had a teenager with anime hair as the protagonist in Japan while America got the World's Best Dad.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I always appreciated Thief. Many FFT battles were turned into grinding sessions by some persistent flirting with monsters.

I think this was already suggested, but if you split the jobs into tiers and then roll one job from each tier per chapter (so four, right?) it would give you something like the progression in the FJF.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Yeah, but having a Viera assassin early wouldn't matter because you wouldn't be able to use their more broken abilities until you find the right equipment. So hiding jobs behind a class wall is redundant.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I always call it Atma Weapon in that game, it just seems wrong otherwise. But the FF5 GBA translation is miles above the other versions. There's really no argument, unless you like Time Magic being 'translated' as Jinruykuu or whatever.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Booky posted:

Ahh, Dissidia Duodecim. God, that game is so much fun, even if I'm not that good at it. :smith:

For AP farming, I just set the Level to Minimal and equip things like the Beckoning Cat and Diamond equipment.

Also, I'm not the only one that cheesed Lv. 130 Feral Chaos with the Smiting Soul thing, right? :shobon:

On FF5 chat, I just mastered the classes with skills and stats I wanted, beat the game with Freelancers, then messed around a bit.

Nope. I built a party of 5 level 1 smite-equipped characters, got halfway through his health with a couple of people. Kain's turn comes up, I start spamming jump and the battle is over in under a minute. I regret nothing.I felt like the smiting soul setup was necessary to finish the last dungeon in any sane sort of time. I love the battle system but the balance seems weird, if the difference is, say 130 defense vs 170 attack, you get murdered. You can safely abuse bonus days. I leveled every character up to 100 by playing through the storyline with the PSP on the bonus day constantly.
I love the Emperor's evil David Bowie impersonation.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

1 berserker, all other characters are dead at all times, no items, no equipment, final destination.
A thief would probably help berserkers out- no back attacks, no sneak attacks, and you can give them a thief's agility. And you can steal potions/hi-potions.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Oh, it'd work, but Galuf would be invisible for about half the game.

Actually it wouldn't be THAT hard to do, you could just use an unlock-all-jobs cheat code. I don't think it would cause any major issues, AFAIK none of the progress in the game is based on flags for you having or not having a particular job. Some of the later classes would suffer from spell or equipment availability.

Zonko_T.M. fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 11, 2013

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

So Mama Robotnik of NeoGAF uncovered the lost art of FFIX, which was basically multiple backgrounds before they were downgraded to the 320x240 resolution of the PS1 release. You can check it out here. For what is essentially the most artistic and visually fascinating game in the franchise, this is worth checking out.

There's an absolute fuckton of detail totally obscured that is now in all of its glory.

This is incredible. You've made my night. I had no idea that the original backgrounds were that much more detailed, I'd happily buy prints of some of those. The concept art of Lindblum reminds me of a Studio Ghibli film.

Zonko_T.M. fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 1, 2013

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

The problem is that the license board is just so easy to max out. In FFV and FFT, you CAN give everybody the same skills if you want to spend hours grinding, but a normal person will tend to focus each character on a smaller number of classes because of the amount of time required to master them. I guess it'd be difficult to balance, though, because if someone does hunts in FF12, they get a buttload of LP, and if they just do the story a license board balanced with hunts in mind means they'll feel like the game forces you to grind or is just very hard.

Also, the normal job system limits what you can equip in terms of armor and abilities, so even though everyone in FFV or FFT can learn every single skill and equip the same set-ups, you have to pick a job for them which then limits what they can use. So the license board's problem isn't so much "Everybody learns everything!" as "Everybody learns everything and then has unrestricted access to it at all times!"

Zonko_T.M. fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 13, 2013

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

You know an FFV remake would end up terrible. All of the enemies get two turns for every one of yours and are immune to all status effects, you can only switch jobs once per crystal and the AP requirements for skills like rapid-fire and double cast have been tripled because ITS NOT HARD ENOUGH. Oh, you can completely cheese bosses using Chemist mixes? Well let's add a flag that makes bosses immune to those. MORE FUN, RIGHT?

I mean, I know FFV is a cakewalk once you're familiar with its mechanics, but it seems like 3 and 4's 3D remakes were designed to be much more difficult, and I think that would remove the wonderful variety and freedom of strategies that makes FFV fun.
I really liked the voices for Golbez and the Emperor in Dissidia, more so in 012 than the original.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Modoh posted:

The Ancient Cave hack is really a lot of fun, but I think it hurts the replay value a good bit that you generally have everything available well before the end (though to be fair you probably need it for what they're putting you up against). Well, that and the fact that it takes a long time to play through for a roguelike-style design. It's a shame because the earlier part where you're struggling to cobble together a team is great.

I may get back into it if I want more FF5 after I finish my Fiesta run this year.

I've played it a three or four times and it really loses its allure about 30 to 40 floors in, where you've gotten a solid selection of jobs and equipment and found some way to heal without items. Then after another 30 floors you run into a huge roadblock that unexpectedly wipes your party. Oh well!

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

FF6's crew gets beaten by a bad fanfic? Are you kidding? Sabin would've just suplexed THE MOON.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Barudak posted:

So like, uh, theres a hereditary witch who overthrew a democratically elected government on live TV but a group of super soldiers trained at an academy which is also a hovership and owned by a space alien decide to stop her except their all orphans she raised together who don't remember it because they equipped magical beings to themselves and also the moon is full of space monsters who slam into the planet which has both a seaside wood-ship fishing village and a futuristic floating city that spans a continent but its kind of all irrelevant because a someone from both the future and present decided to merge all of time into a single moment because she might be the main heroes girlfriend from an alternate timeline which requires him to remember her face so he can escape the nexus of time and watch his best friend choke to death on hotdogs.

That seems pretty simple.

You forgot the part where the main character's adopted big sister sends his and his friends' consciousnesses back in time to the minds of his dad and his two best friends, and that this power is the key to the future witch lady's plan to compress all of time into a single moment for ~*~reasons~*~.
The world of FF8 sounds like something a 12 year old would come up with while they're TOTALLY writing this GREAT book guys honest.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Squall is dead has the benefit of making some kind of sense out of Ultemicia. She represents his denial of his own death, shown in her desire to make all time a single deathless moment and her hatred of SeeD, which is the organization that ultimately led to Squall's death and is then torn apart in his dying dream and replaced with the much warmer idea that his coworkers are actually adopted siblings he'd forgotten about. After he defeats his own denial, his mind begins to break down at last, but the image of Rinoa helps him to accept his own death and he dreams of a normal life and slips, at last, away....or something, even with that interpretation the ending makes no sense.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

The mist knacks will open up those outlying panels you can reach. There's charts or lists that will show you which job gets what abilities depending on which summon/knack you choose. You can only get up to three knacks, but I don't remember if it's possible to claim a fourth or later knack-space for a summon but no new super attack.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

But does Cloud get to wear a Sailor Suit too?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

You should've named everyone Zack

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

^^^Typically I'm the same way but once you recognize some of Shimomura's style, it gets easy to catch any time it shows up. That MM5 Wily Stage theme sounds like it could easily be a KH boss theme if you updated the instrumentals.

Oxxidation posted:

Blinded By Light is basically the only part of FFXIII with any tonal consistency - SE might have claimed they wanted to make the characters feel desperate and hunted for most of the game, but that battle theme is the only part of the game that gets that point through. It's got a great, frantic feel with those strings in the background.

The rest of the game was an unremarkable mongrel mish-mash, and its sequel was even worse.
Really? Even Barthandelus' theme doesn't give you a sense of being desperate and hunted?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

T. G. Cid looked like Obi-Wan Kenobi. You don't want Obi-Wan Kenobi on your team?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Plus none of her outfits are remotely as cool as Galuf's. Why couldn't we get that werewolf dude instead?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah okay. SE has the disney hook up and they made that sweet rear end Good King Mog song. I think they could have done a musical.

Fal'cie Horror Picture Show. The part of Barthandelus will be played by Tim Curry.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Final Fantasy Megathread: Every game is the most anime in the series.

I can't wait for Lightning to get Luso's outfit next (for reference)

At least it doesn't have any zippers?
I'd be surprised if they didn't include a Sephiroth outfit, it seems silly to do three majors characters from FF7 and not include Sephiroth. I'd like a Seifer outfit, that trench coat was stylin'.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Step 1: Unlock monks (get Lv2 on a Knight job)
Step 2: Learn Chakra
Step 3: Abuse Chakra to keep your units alive, slowly fumble your way through the game until the system makes some sense to you.

That's how I played it my first time, anyway.
EDIT: Stigma Magic and Wave Fist and Counter are also Monk must-haves for me. They give a unit a rounded skill set that allows them to heal and de-status their own self, heal and de-status friendly units on level terrain (mountains are a problem but you won't run into really rough terrain until you should be more comfortable with the game), the ability to hit at range and Counter helps soften up the enemy when you're getting hammered. And Chakra is ridiculously easy to abuse for grinding, if you ever feel so inclined.

Zonko_T.M. fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

There was that one part where you don't have magic yet and the game is maybe slightly difficult? I think I died to that tunneler boss you're supposed to use Runic on once or twice? And, uh, the guy at the top of the Fanatic's Tower is hard if you don't bring something to protect yourself from Ultima, I guess.