Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Who cares? It looks cool and could make for a good game if they explain what's going on. It's not difficult to see that it's a magic vs. technology war -- the insurgents have chemicals that can genetically gently caress with animals as well as carry modern weaponry, the mages have magic that can electrify and summon beasts.

FF Type-0 basically has this premise. I can't seem to find a video of it but the game's opening depicts a big battle between magic and tech users. The magic users get mercilessly slaughtered until motherfuckin' ODIN shows up.

EDIT: Found it. I guess it's NWS since it's rather violent for a FF game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klTvElxgqk8

EDIT2: drat I love that theme. Too bad it will never be released here :(

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Minrad posted:

Oh, oops. Still, didn't it do pretty lousy either way? I know it sold a sequel but I always heard a lot of bad reviews and never heard much about the game.

It was a great game but sold like crap. I've heard they're making a mint selling the various soundtracks, though (I've bought most of them myself).

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Barudak posted:

I think they're talking about Drakkengard not Nier which is pretty much the opposite in every sense. The soundtrack is on purpose discordant and repetitive noise.

Whoops, you're right. The Drakengard 1 soundtrack is amazing, though.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Anyone who still complains about the minigames in X and X-2 can't have played FFXIII-2. Seriously gently caress slots and gently caress chocobo racing. They are so boring and so pointless and frustrating. I just want the Wild and Hidden Artifacts, is that so much to ask?

EDIT: By the way, the final phase of the last boss Three Bahamuts is kicking my rear end. I manage to fill up the meter once, but I can barely hurt him before he recovers after which he proceeds to completely murder me. Does anyone have any tips or strategies?

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 8, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Thanks for the FFXIII tips! I'll try again tomorrow. I'll also buy the Chaos Crystal and see if I benefit from the weapon. (I've got 106 fragments).

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Finally beat FF 13-2 after a hard and grueling battle, and was rewarded with the worst poo poo ending since Mass Effect 3's original ending.

Such a bad game. Tons of areas are simply copy-pasted with a filter on, the backtracking is maddening, the mini-games are poo poo, and the story is pure nonsense told in the worst way possible. Caius' VA was great and I enjoyed most if the music but this is the worst of the modern FFs by far. Yes, I rate it below 13 and 11.

Best part of the game was Caius stabbing the protagonists finally making them shut up for a second. I hope I never hear the word "Paradox" ever again.

Does the Lightning DLC resolve the story or is just more nonsense? I guess it could be both, though. Such a waste of potential.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Winks posted:

Tons of areas are the same areas at different times though. :confused: I'm not sure what you'd want them to do

I'm just annoyed there are so few unique areas in the game. Instead of designing more locations they let you visit the same few areas over and over, with the only differences being filters and a few opened paths! Instead of letting you visit Oerba in the past when people still lived there you get to visit the same abandoned Oerba to solve puzzles, THREE TIMES :effort:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I always thought the party in FFXIII justified killing Orphan with this line of reasoning - "We can walk away, but we will kill you, not because of our Focus, but because it's OUR choice (and you're a dick anyway)".
That's how I remember Lightning's pre-battle monologue, at least. Then they luck out with Vanille/Fang being VERY quick thinkers and saving the day anyway.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Do you get something cool for unlocking the extra endings in FFXIII-2 o r should I just watch them on Youtube? (still miffed about the ending)

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
OK, thanks! I've wanted to beat that giant tomato since I first met it so I'll do that, then we'll see if I care enough to do the rest. Otherwise it's Youtube for me. FFXIII Versus better be FANTASTIC or I have played my last FF game. The latest games have just not been worth the time and effort.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I can't really say if this is better or worse than the 13-2 outfit. And that outfit was crap.

EDIT: What is that red thing on her left arm supposed to be? The armor is giving me some Mass Effect vibes. I'm starting to believe Nomura saw the Mass Effect armor DLC and said "me too". Then the producers told him Lightning needed to keep the "feel" of her earlier outfits... throw in some Dragon Age armor as well and this is the result.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 18, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ImpAtom posted:

"Health reasons" in Japanese business speak is usually code for someone doing something which causes them to be pretty much obligated to leave, hidden under a guise of politeness. Something went on behind the scenes but the reasoning isn't clear.

This looks like they were going for a design like Lenneth Valkyrie and got lost along the way. Possibly in a dominatrix shop. I think it is actually kind of worse than FFXIII-2's and that is saying something.

Boob armor aside, I always liked Lenneth's design. It looks somewhat practical but still has some "flourishes" without being gaudy.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Yeah Bro posted:

There's also the shower scene and the plot twist at the end of the game which reveals that Aya is mentally a 12 year old girl. That game's story was the loving worst.

It's slightly worse than that. She isn't Aya, but the clone from PE2, who switched bodies with Aya. Then, in the end, she has to kill Aya because

3rd Birthday had some decent music and the gameplay was surprisingly solid, but the rest of it was a complete disaster on every level.

EDIT: poo poo, Motomu Toriyama ( who wrote 3rd Birthday ) is involved with Lightning Returns as well :gonk: I know he was involved in all the FFXIII games, but still...

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 19, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Zack has been the only likable main character since 9 or perhaps 10 so I'm totally fine with him in the first spot.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Because when you take the Gackt out of Crisis Core it's pretty faithful to the original FF7, and Zack was a really likable protagonist who was upbeat and cheerful without being irritating or completely stupid. I'd say he's most similar to Zidane, without the playboy stuff. I'm surprised he's at #1, though, did Crisis Core make much of a splash in Japan?

And the last "battle" in Crisis Core is one of the best things S-E has ever done. I can still remember how I was really focused because of how badly I wanted to win... :smith: The last part, when Aerith is the only one left in the slots, and the machine struggles to get her healing move, was loving killer

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 19, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Schwartzcough posted:

So that reminds me- why is Cloud so dismissive and rude when "channeling" Zack? I guess it was mostly right at the beginning, but he was all "I don't care about your names. Once I get this job done I'm outta here." It's not like Zack was originally intended to be arrogant and was retconned in Crisis Core- the flashback in FF7 shows him acting pretty much like he acted in CC.

I think it was mostly Cloud projecting his own idea of how a bad-rear end solider 1st class should act. Zack was really confident and self-assured - Cloud simply added the act-like-an-rear end in a top hat part because of his own immaturity. See - his reasons for joining the army in the first place. I loved how they presented Cloud in CC as well. He's not as brooding as in his other iterations - he cracks jokes, smiles occasionally, and almost acts like a awkward and unsure teenager.

VVV Yeah, what I meant was all the games he's been in outside of FF7, and the movie.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 19, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

NikkolasKing posted:

And I think the flashbacks of Cloud with Tifa show quite plainly he's always been awkward and kinda dopey.

Yes, and the fact that CC actually acknowledged this is one of several reasons it's superior to the rest of the FF7 spin-off products. It's the only one that manages to capture the feel of the original. I wasn't even bothered by the Gackt stuff, since it meant I got to beat the crap out of Gackt hundreds of times!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Is it just me, or does the town look almost exactly like Vigrid, from Bayonetta?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Momomo posted:

There's a difference between failing and doing absolutely nothing. XIII has the main characters as nothing but puppets, IX has the characters actively work against the plot.

Isn't that the point, though?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Dragonatrix posted:

If so, that makes Barthandelus the main character which I can't see anyone trying to argue for some reason.

What I mean is that they try their hardest the whole game to break free of their Fal'Cie bounds, especially Fang and Vanille do some spectacular things, but in the end they all still turn into crystal. It took a literal Deus Ex Machina for the story to have a happy ending (which the sequel promptly nullified).

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Mega64 posted:

but Lightning ends up having a much stronger presence and pushes the plot forward, since her whole line of thinking is pretty much, "Gotta keep going so I don't have time to think about how lovely my life is now between being some god robot's pawn and almost having Snow as a brother-in-law."

The game would have been substantially better with a dedicated "punch Snow / annoying party members" button. I'm still disappointed neither Vanille nor Hope got the same treatment as the rest of the group. At least Vanille deserved it the way she screwed over most of the cast. FFXII was kind of refreshing in how dysfunctional the party was for most of the game.

EDIT: I mean the game has TWO scenes where a party member is just about ready to outright murder another member, too many fights to count, and quite a lot of punching.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 20, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Let's see:

* Leather corset
* Bikini panties
* Garter belt attached to what can best be described as cargo pants
* Arm protection that only covers one side of the arm
* That ridiculous gauntlet thing
* Lots and lots more

I have no words to describe what's wrong with this outfit. It's enough to just describe it. I can't believe someone got paid to design this and didn't loose his job afterwards.

EDIT: With most FF games I have just laughed at the silly costumes and run with it, but Lightning's outfit in FFXII-2 and now this are just too much.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 26, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Someone showed off Lightning's design from FFXIII before, so I figured I'd show her other designs as well so you guys have something to compare this monstrosity to.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 26, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Brother Entropy posted:

Modern JRPGs have broken me to the point that that last one looks wrong to my brain. It just doesn't parse right, it looks too plausible to worn in real life for Lightning.

I'd definitely take the time to download it if S-E put it up as DLC, though.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Krad posted:

I don't get it, the Lightning DLC didn't add anything to the ending that was already on the disc. What were people complaining about then? :psyduck:

You answered your question yourself. The game had a poo poo ending, S-E released the Lightning DLC and people got their hopes up for some reason, and then the (paid) DLC didn't add a thing.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 27, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I was mostly annoyed that the ending meant there had to be at least one more sequel. I'm done with that world and would rather have S-E do something completely different.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

MrAristocrates posted:

XIII-2's final boss, however, is a loving nightmare.

I'd say it's one of the hardest bosses in the series. It's especially frustrating since you have several fights before it with no chance of saving in-between. Your choice of monster allies is vital!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 30, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Francois Kofko posted:

The difference between XIII's final boss and XIII-2's is that XIII-2's is fun. Just know in advance to bring about ten million wound potions.

... you can cure wound damage?

gently caress.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 30, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

MrAristocrates posted:

Wait, what? :psyduck: I feel like I'm staring into the mind of a crazy person.

I'm playing Grandia 3 at the moment, and normally the childish story and characters would drive me crazy, but considering the poo poo that FF fans have to put up with today, it's refreshingly simple and sensible. The FF writers need a stone faced no-nonsense editor to tell them to cut it out, seriously.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 5, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Wasn't Grandia 3 well received back in the day? It feels on par with the two first games IMHO.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

The White Dragon posted:

Oh no way, absolutely not. It was like, "What the gently caress happened? It lost its charm and the characters suddenly became retarded." But this isn't surprising since G3 wasn't made by Game Arts.

This may be a consequence of Game Arts having made Grandia Xtreme.

But the characters have always been stupid? Eh, I'm enjoying it for know at least. The battles are as fun as ever, the music's good and the world is bright and colorful.

edit: Oh goodness, I just got to actually fly the plane around the world. That's nice.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 5, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Bizarro Serah could be pretty great, but I'm not exactly hopeful considering how awful the dialogue was in the two earlier games.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Pretty locations, fun battles, nice music, plots and characters that usually are better/funnier than what you usually get in JRPGs. A distinct lack of catgirls and creepy six-year-old mannequins.
I'd rather replay FFXIII three times than play the latest Star Ocean games for more than five minutes. And I don't even like FFXIII.

EDIT: 1up has an article with some more details on FFXIII-3.. It sounds pretty interesting so I hope they are able to make it all work.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 18, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Overbite posted:

So I just bought DISSIDIA® 012[duodecim]™ FINAL FANTASY® and it's installing for some reason. If I have this version can I just skip the first or what? What even is this game? I don't know why I bought it.

It's a fun fighting game with an awful story and worse dialogue. The first game is actually included so you won't have to skip anything!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
You guys keep forgetting one thing. You get to punch Gackt in the face. Repeatedly. That alone makes Genesis' inclusion worthwhile.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ApplesandOranges posted:

People like different things. Sometimes they like arbitary handicaps or ways that force you to think about which characters to be used in different situations. It's one reason why I preferred IX over VII.

Too much choice can throw people off. When I first played Skyrim it was almost paralyzing because there was so much you could do - do main quests. Do lots of side quests. Gathering. Exploring. When it's too open, people that can't make snap decisions (that faction sounds better, or I prefer axes to maces because they swing faster) get frustrated.

There are lots of other reasons to me, but that's just some of them.

Being able to respec without penalty is a wonderful, beautiful thing, and I wish more games gave me that option.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Last Remnant is really weird. I played for a couple hours or so and obliterated every enemy I came across. Then I met the first real boss and realized I had no idea what I was doing the whole time. Took me three tries and after that I really tried figuring the system out, but I just kind of lost interest. I'd like to get back to it one day, after I beat Persona 3 and Resonance of Fate.

Ok, that will never happen... I haven't played either for years.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm pretty sure people are hyped about Type-0 because it looks like a blend of Crisic Core and Monster Hunter with like a dozen quite different playable characters. I've played the Japanese version and even if it got some annoying poo poo, like how the time between starting a new mission and actually playing the mission is annoyingly long, or the less than stellar camera, the core combat is still very fun. At least to me.

Here are some gameplay videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5bZmP_hlPQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUoMAVVCot8

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 15, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

It's also one of the harder boss fights in the game IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I can't get over how awful these sprites look. If they give FF6 the same "treatment" I might get an aneurysm.