Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Epi Lepi posted:

Is it true they're doing an HD remake of X? I mean, I liked that game a lot, but I can't imagine there's a huge demand for a remake.

It's the third best selling game Square-Enix ever made. That's probably a bit of an incentive for a HD cash-in...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Endorph posted:

Not to mention, considering his personality Kuja's design was probably at least sort of meant to be garish.

Kuja becomes an amazing character if you assume he's supposed to be an '80s glam rocker and read all his lines as Freddie Mercury.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Am I alone in just not liking Amano's character designs? Like at all. I really like the guy's artwork and he's got a great style. But most of his actual character designs are like someone took a pastel, bead filled messy poo poo. Most of the old game's character designs probably benefited a ton from having his designs as a base for the more cartoony sprites and not direct translations.

Even if Nomura is terrible and needs to get ejected from touching the series, I'm pretty glad Amano has been pretty well dropped outside logo art since his stuff would look awful in 3D. Even the Nomura filtered Dissidia renders of old characters look pretty godawful. I just don't get all the worshiping of his character designs.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

ImpAtom posted:

FFXIII doesn't have good writing to begin with but everything I've seen from FFXIII's translation appears overly-literal and stilted. It's 'translated' but with no effort made beyond that, so things that really should have been altered or clarified or cleaned up are not. It's like it was translated by a robot. It also appears to have been voiced directed by a robot whose job was "mimic the Japanese direction exactly" which is the stupidest possible voice direction in the history of mankind.

I don't know. Final Fantasy X's dubbing directions of "make the dialogue match the character's mouth NO MATTER WHAT" still seems a forerunner in terrible voice acting direction. That said, I don't think any better localized a translation would make the game's writing come off any less lovely or presented any less hamfisted.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Happy Blue Cow posted:

If someone knows, I'd appreciate an explanation behind the final events with Cid Raines in FF13.

He's leading the cavalry in the hunt against Lightning and her crew for most of the game, eventually you encounter him and he reveals that he's also an L'Cie and that he was planning to overthrow the Fal'cie, but cannot due to his focus binding him. Then he goes all Super-Saiyan Ci'Eth on you, and you have a Boss Fight where you beat him and he Dies/Turns into Crystal.

The spoilered part above is fine. The problem comes afterwards, where there is a long period of time that goes by where you literally never hear about this guy ever again. Then eventually your party gets in a space-shuttle and flies through a portal and winds up back at Eden in the middle of an F-Zero race, and you witness a cinematic directors wet dream of a cutscene, which starts with... Cid Raines addressing the people on a Jumbotron? The same Cid Raines who was killed/crystallized by you earlier, seems to be alive and totally okay. Then after that, he's once again never heard of or mentioned again.

:psyduck:

Was this ever explained? If so when/where/by whom? I always thought that the explanation was the cinematic team completed that jumbotron cinematic before the story was solidified by the writing staff... But that can't be right :ohdear:

I think the Space Pope revived him (I guess the machine god dudes can undue death/crystal freezing whenever it is plot convenient) to act as the new figurehead for the human government because...