Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
The very first Square game I played was Secret of Mana, and then I was like "drat that game was awesome what else did they make?" and found FF2 in the bargain bin. Just a lucky point in my early formative years where you start to recognize brands and genres instead of just "well it's a Nintendo game."

And now I'm codgerly and hateful and my general outlook is, "drat you know the series is down the drain in the wastewater processing plant when you think FF8 is no longer the crappiest FF game."

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Happy Blue Cow posted:

So this week the supposed :airquote: final :airquote: FF13-2 DLC "Lightning's Story: Requiem for the Goddess" comes out.

If anyone could spoil (and don't forget to spoiler tag it) the summary of the whole DLC, it would be much appreciated.

Nothing of importance or even interest happens. However, you do get a new SUPER BONUS CLASSIC FINAL FANTASY MONSTER in your party! Everyone is still dead. Remember to buy Final Fantasy 13-3!!!!!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mak0rz posted:

Great, I'm at the final dungeon of the original NES game and only now does my Master class character show his glass axe syndrome :argh:

My favorite part about the Master is that you can't give him any status defenses because equipping Protect Rings and Ribbons lowers his defense and attack strength like crazy.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

Eh, I think ornateness of detail has always been a part of the original character designs (Amano's drawings and paintings are always immensely busy). I don't have a problem with that whether it's Nomura or Amano doing it.

Also, IIRC, Amano didn't *actually* design the FF9 characters.

Yeah he did a lot of the promo art, and you could tell his heart was really in it, but I think the guy who does a lot of the Mistwalker stuff today did the majority of the in-game concept art.

Mak0rz posted:

Ah so that's where Steiner's greaves went.

My favorite is Steiner's platemail jorts. Best article of clothing ever.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 17, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mazed posted:

Jenova's music is odd, in that it actually is not improved by orchestral/rock renditions.

Campy 60s superhero showtunes version disagrees with you :colbert:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dr Pepper posted:

Basically Nomura has two ways to design characters. There's his mostly "Modern day styles with an occasional twist" from TWEWY, FF7, and FF13 etc that most people seem to like. Then there's his "fantastic fantasy outfits" from FFX, Kingdom Hearts, etc that people don't like.
More like one way to design characters. "Let's put different clothes on the same face and head." I couldn't care less about his clothing designs; wild or utterly unusable or actually functional or whatever, they don't matter that much, Salvador Dali wore a fuckin' cape and a pimp cane in public. What I do despise is that he has like five or six distinct human character heads and nothing more so to someone whose brain works on feature-based recognition rather than the silhouette- or accessory-based sort.

Mak0rz posted:

It's done. The original NES Final Fantasy is now behind me. The ending dialogue was weird as hell.
Man I loved that ending. The fifth warrior of light... YOU!!!

quote:

Does anyone have any tips for the Famicom Final Fantasy II before I dive into it?
Yeah, don't play it. Do Dawn of Souls or even that ugly-rear end looks-like-it-was-drawn-in-Flash super deformed PSP remake, but stay far, far away from the NES one.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 18, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

Ach, I knew all the MM facts but wasn't sure about the specific years. That's awesome that Uematsu has a metal band. Now I will rock out to it :black101:

And now they're the Earthbound Papas! They do original stuff and some Mistwalker tracks instead. :eng101:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ShadeofDante posted:

I think the whole "defying fate" still is a major theme in XIII, but it wasn't the whole party that was able to do it.

Suikoden is about defying fate. FF13 is about how pretentious and annoyingly anime can we be without alienating ninety percent of our consum--oops

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Azure_Horizon posted:

In other news: I think I preferred Tritoch over Valigarmanda for the name of that Esper. What the hell is a Valigarmanda anyway? However, I do like that he was subtly hinted at existing in FFXIII-2.

It's a weird mangling of like "vary-garuda-salamander" or something. Which makes sense because it looks like a garuda with salamander bits.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Epi Lepi posted:

I'm just saying there's a bunch of stuff in between the end of Disc 1 and Esther, which is when all of that stuff takes place, with the exception of the Orphanage/Amnesia reveal. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it mentioned prior to then that GFs can mess with people's memories? I feel like there was some mention of that in Balamb at some point.

Yeah, and by "bunch of stuff," you mean "cool poo poo" that's about as intellectually deep as Transformers and once Squall gets ice-lanced, the story goes out the window for the rest of the second disc and nothing of importance happens until Disc 3 when Ultimecia is introduced and everything goes out the window.

Let's see, we'll list out all the super-important poo poo that happens:
- You escape from prison (I guess it's important because otherwise you'd spend the rest of the game in prison which honestly would've been an improvement on FF8)
- You blow up a missile base (very Die Hard, but also essentially pointless)
- You make the Garden fly in an FMV (so you can have a really lovely airship that makes for good FMVs. Essentially pointless)
- NORG (FSHURUSHURUSHURUSHURUBJURUJURUJURUJURU)
- You protect some hippies from a militarized nation (stupid and pointless and exists only so some obscure and boring NPCs can namedrop Esthar... if you can even find them in the first place, and only during a very small window of time)
- You put on a concert
- I mean seriously you put on a motherfucking concert and the game pretends that this is world-shatteringly important
- Let's fight dudes in Balamb (which forces you through a really, really annoying sequence just so Fujin and Raijin can tell you that Seifer is still alive and fighting for the Sorceress. Again. Of course, you've already known this since the end of Disc 1)
- This is your brain on Guardian Forces (character development literally ends here, the player characters don't go anywhere from this point and Ward, who has all of like ten minutes of screen time from this point out, has more than anyone else in Squall's party)
- EPIC GARDEN BATTLE (guys look at this AWESOME FMV look at those DUDES ON MOTORCYCLES HITTING THAT RAMP FROM ONE GARDEN TO ANOTHER and now FVMS GOING ON IN THE BACKGROUND DAMMIT Nigga DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND, Some ho IS GONNA DIE this poo poo is so 1999 EXTREEEEEEEEEME. Also completely irrelevant and doesn't set up any lore or background or do absolutely anything else aside from "look at my FMVs, look at them")
- Fight Edea (and here we are, at the end of Disc 2, we finally have SOMETHING relevant to the plot. The "plot." And it's all about to get thrown out the window because as soon as you put in Disc 3, ULTIMECIA)

Literally the only good thing to come out of FF8 is I had this Japanese national teaching a linguistics course in university, awesome older guy--basically he looked like a 70-year-old Arino--who had a cursory exposure to video games from his son, and gave us an example of the difference between the SVO of if-then logic in English and Japanese, and the example he used was, in super "I am fluent but I honestly don't care that I'm lacking some English phonemes" English, "Squall is dead. If nobody will revive him, Squall is still dead."

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 24, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Epi Lepi posted:

No one ever said it was deep or meaningful, though I think you're being a pedantic rear end in defining what's part of the story and what's not. I said it was coherent. Though I did forget about the concert haha.
But it's not coherent, it's a string of utterly disconnected events that reeks of RPGMaker Syndrome: it sends you to these irrelevant places and shovels lore down your throat like you're supposed to care. The Missile Base is pointless and serves only to make the player say "oh no my bros were blown up!!!" and fake them out later, as if they didn't see that coming. The garden battle sequence is completely disconnected from the plot. In fact, it's so shoehorned in that your entire motivation for everything you do in that section is, and I quote, "It's your destiny." "It has to be you." If FF8 didn't take itself so goddamn seriously, I'd swear that the whole section was a parody of the Chosen One of Legend cliche.

The entire second disc could be edited out, save for the intro with Laguna, the escape from the prison, and final showdown with Edea, and not only would you lose nothing of relevance to the plot, but you wouldn't even lose characterization or continuity.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Speaking of the FFTA bullies, you know what would've made that game playable? If the laws were much more specific (like Forbidden: snowballs with rocks in). Forbidden: Dragoon? No. Forbidden: Bolt Breath. Forbidden: Ascetic Magic? No. Forbidden: Cura.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Allarion posted:

Well, at least there were anti-law cards... I still prefer FFTA over FFTA2 just because it didn't have the bullshit laws that FFTA2 had like Forbidden:Dmg to human or Forbidden: Dmg > 100 Dmg.

Well let's be fair now, Dmg to Human and Dmg > 100 was in FFTA1 as well.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

VagueRant posted:

How did they manage to ruin FFT's gameplay systems so much in FFTA, anyway? It wasn't just laws.

This is what happens when you restrict job classes to race, add like five or six core stats, and expect players to be able to finish a mission without damaging enemies only using abilities with <20% hit rates, but keep the hosed-up hit% formula where your hit chance above 50% is actually exponentially higher than it says it is, and your hit chance below 50% is actually exponentially lower than it says it is.

Long story short, actually a lot easier than you might think.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Trasson posted:

umm what? I know the Fire Emblem games have a deliberately skewed hit rate, but from what I understand the FFTA RNG isn't significantly biased in either direction.

It's not intentional, but rather a mistake in how they wrote the hit% formula. I can't remember the specifics--I mean I'm sure you can look it up easily--but there's a math error involving division that makes low hit% hit even less often than its actual hit rate, and high hit% hit more often than the actual displayed rate.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

A lot of jobs are much better than I thought they would be! Not geomancer though

Edit: If anyone doing this run got Geomancer I'm sorry.

Yeah, Geomancer is pretty lovely but it can reveal some obscure status weaknesses in boss monsters with its weird, unlisted secondary status effects. Ifrit, for example, is (uselessly, since he casts fire magic) vulnerable to Confusion :eng101:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I dunno, I laughed and shut it off as soon as the turban dudes burst in. It just felt like "ENIX MAKES MODERN WARFARE 4"

But at least I got a laugh out of it. I guess I'm no longer wowed by fantastic graphics, and the only things I thought were, "that rock looks pretty real" and "they put way too much effort into that dude's beard, that probably cost like the GDP of most developing nations."

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dr Pepper posted:

What does it say about me that this is what I'm most interested in out of all of what Squares shown at E3

I love how it looks so much like a loving RPGMaker game that the monster they're fighting looks like a lovely traced-in-Flash-by-a-teenager version of Romancing SaGa enemies.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Death By Yogurt posted:

Seriously. That textbox looks exactly like the default textbox style of the newer versions of RPG Maker.

Looks like? I'm pretty sure those flag emblems are in an actual RPGMaker.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Nope, it's just a fallacy thrown around by people who plug their ears and shout "ROSE TINTED GLASSES!!!" The first one I played was 4, then 7, then 8, then 6, then 5, then 9, and then the 1 a couple years later. 9's my absolute favorite, and after that, FF1.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I lean neither way with 10. It's an incredibly average FF title; it has its very high points, and it has very, very low points. Incidentally, I don't even consider the laughing scene on this scale. I seriously have no hangups with it, but this means that it does nothing at all which, while better than doing something crappy, certainly isn't doing the game any favors.

It's like, Besaid, Kilika, Highroad, Djose, Moonflow, all that's good. Unfortunately, that stuff is interrupted in the middle by LET'S BLITZ which normally is fun but you're forced into a loving awful unbalanced match since Blitzball isn't actually skill-based. And then you hit the slump: Guadosalam is crap and a very boring and annoying sequence, the Thunder Plains and the forest are all right but compared to their preceding locales they're pretty boring and ugly, and then you hit Macalania. gently caress Macalania Temple. And then gently caress the next part where you go through that desert. Deserts in video games are horrible. And gently caress that part with the Al Behd. I know it has the game's big plot twist, but gameplay-wise, that area is awful. Weird forced encounters every couple steps, annoying-as-poo poo music, and full of permanently-missable items. Then you go to Bevelle and I hate that part too. Not only does the story get really loving creepy because every time Seymour is on screen it's like Winnie the Pooh got crossed with a pedophile and a rapist and I don't care if they nailed it in the writing--which obviously they did because he's immensely unsettling whenever he's on screen--it's very grating whenever Seymour is involved with the plot, but it, too, is a gameplay nightmare.

Finally, you get to the Calm Lands, and that's a pretty great place, I like it. There's fun side poo poo to do, hidden stuff to find, and it's just a generally visually-pleasing location and a godsend after going through a stormy gray area (you get a short break from crappy visual design in a glowy forest), a lovely ice area, a lovely ice temple, a desert, a rusty factory in a desert, an underground cavern, an underwater cavern, a technological cavern, and oh god I hate that entire 1/3 of the game so much.

And then you get to Gagazet and the Ronsos are such dicks that you can't even sympathize with them and what is Seymour even doing here, he doesn't have any motivation to do this other than that he's clearly a very, very bad man. Also while I tend to love ice levels, Gagazet is a terrible ice level because it's not an SNES Ice Stage but a MODERN GEN Ice Stage which means that instead of fantastical blues and purples and turquoises and the aurora borealis, everything is white and black on gray, possibly with some blizzardy textures and fogs blowing past the camera every few seconds.

Zanarkand, ehh, I don't have anything bad to say about it per se, but I certainly don't have anything good to say about it. And then you're at the endgame, Auron has a mildly homosexual dialogue with Jecht, and you fight a giant flying whale who gives you an instant game over if you don't beat him within his countdown. I mean this never happened to me because by that point you have full access to the monster arena and I grinded the poo poo out of that, but fighting Sin on natural progression alone is pretty much impossible even if you go in with maxed summon Overdrives and Grand Summon.

The final area I honestly don't remember much about other than it was underwhelming as a final area, but I kind of assume that this is a hardware limitation since gone were the pre-rendered backgrounds that let you do creative poo poo so you were kind of stuck with awkward corridors and dark colors because it's the final dungeon guys we gotta be foreboding and poo poo. The story's inoffensive, if a bit weird with stuff like the Tidus-in-the-water epilogue, but drat, the game really suffers from that giant crevasse of crap right in the very middle of it all. If they could've kept up the aesthetics and just the general feel you get from places like in the early game and the Calm Lands and Auron being subliminally gay with Jecht, I would remember FFX much more fondly. But as it stands, it's just a very run-of-the-mill entry in a series that ultimately rolled right off the anime cliff.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 7, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CharismaticHorsey posted:

That's it? That didn't look that fun or interesting at all. Hell, it looked like the same tired poo poo with shallow gameplay Kingdom Hearts has already mastered. This time with even more solid black outfits.
Well, the truth is marketing statistics show that the kind of annoying, pretentious teenagers who enjoy JRPGs most love solid black outfits and the like and when folks say that we who grew up with FF1-10 are no longer the target audience, they're right. Like how ninjas and samurai and futuristic cowboys killing the poo poo out of poo poo was in when we were that age, brooding harder than a crunk Vincent van Gogh and being weepier than a chancre sore from the clap is big with teenagers now.

Fortunately, they're part of one of those "half generations" that'll never get into office.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ysionris posted:

it does seem to be quite a bit more serious than previous Final Fantasy games

I do know one thing: more serious is the last place the FF series needs to go. Its creators consider their babies to be about as serious as the holocaust at this point.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ysionris posted:

Perhaps I should redefine my meaning: It seems more mature, as opposed to the franchise taking itself too seriously. If this was indeed what you meant, might you provided the explanation behind your opinion? ^_^;

"Mature" and "serious" are just industry buzzwords that correlate with "overly bloody and full of tits" and "long-winded and self-important." But per their real definitions, FF4, 6, or 9 for example had totally serious and mature stories, but they were handled very lightheartedly. They had good comic relief that wasn't so in-your-face as the infamous DINNER song. They established characters (well, 6 less so) without relying on such fine descriptors as "Basically, Gackt" or "Cloud with a vagina." Their characters don't go LOOK AT MEEEEEEE I'M SO IMPORTAAAAAAANT, and they don't feel like they're shoehorned into cutscenes or dialogue for the sake of reminding the player that they are totally in the party (except Freya in a couple parts). The stories are blessedly coherent, but they don't pride themselves on being masterpieces; the writers know that they're making the best of a developing medium and they know they aren't writing Shakespeare.

Compare it to more recent games where they are DEAD SERIOUS and HARD-HITTING and BROODINGLY GRIMDARK--I mean, even fuckin' Kingdom Hearts, a game about turning into an anime lion or hanging out with motherfucking A.A. Milne characters, is really dark and full of weird wizardy existential anime poo poo about being soulless or whatever that doesn't belong in the same sentence as "Mickey Mouse"--and their writers who think their poo poo stinks less than Charles Dickens and that I dunno they must assume they're the Japanese William Faulkner or someshit when in actuality they're writing about thousand-year-old sex goddesses trapped in the body of a six-year-old.

Mega64 posted:

There's so many subtle details that show how much work and care went into making a great game experience. Granted, other FF's have done better stories, but there's still the way FF4 tells a simple story effectively that endears it to me.

Yeah, FF4 tells a very simple story but tells it very, very well. It's just the way the characters interact, I assume; it's really basic, but at the same time, it does everything it needs to do without going overboard or embellishing the wrong places, and even though its conclusion is very predictable, truth told, predictable is predictable because it works in storytelling. I mean, thousands of loving years of literary tradition can't be wrong.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 7, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Spiritus Nox posted:

:stare:

I...think you're reading a bit much into the writers' self image there. Just a touch.

Man you don't paint the walls with diarrhea more than once unless you still think it was the best idea since the telegraph.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
You know, I played FFTA and used some Gameshark code that abolished all laws except for a very select few missions that have the "No Law Cards" flag on them. It made the game actually not terrible! The story, of course, is beyond repair, but the gameplay itself was your good old standard SRPG fare. It no longer felt unfair in the sense that you were penalized both in the short AND long term for breaking laws (either by post-battle arrests for yellow cards, or by instant death from redcarding) while plot-immune enemies and even normal monsters did as they pleased (it's been a while, but I'm pretty sure as long as they didn't redcard, which is very hard for the AI to do unless you corner it by wasting your Law Cards, enemies couldn't be removed from battle at all, so you could never use the laws to your advantage the same way the enemies did).

Buuuuuut, there are those few missions where it's like a tournament or something and magic or weapons were forbidden. THOSE, I think, are really good applications of laws because it makes you plan accordingly to a very specific instance where you go in knowing exactly what you can and can't do. But an entire game based around that premise, especially when there start getting to be so many laws you can barely do anything unless you have every class mastered on every character lest your primary skill sets get illegalized? Bad, bad, terrible idea.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mazed posted:

and a player community that actively hates fun and wants you to have as little of it as possible. Now find a group and grind for hundreds of hours or get absolutely jack and poo poo from the whole affair.

"What do you mean, you think a Red Mage/Thief is 'cool'? What kind of loving retard are you, do not even play this game or grow the gently caress up and do some professional and mathematically-reviewed builds." gently caress FF11. Of course, gently caress MMOs in general, but still. Fun? No, NO FUN EVER. If you don't have at least as much DPS as me then go gently caress yourself you useless sack of poo poo and I don't even want to see you on my SERVER.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 10, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

Well maybe he could be there but not in the main role that he was given. His being a fish out of water helps exposition make more sense but it really should be Yuna's story I think.

poo poo, Tidus in a support role would've been really interesting. You get all the cool character exposition with none of the "I'm the main character so you must care about me" focus.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

VagueRant posted:

FFIX is not pleasant to play. I hate the amount of lengthy, boring dungeons, I hate most of the gameplay design, the battle system is boring, the encounter rate is ridiculous...

The dungeons are actually really short and only give the visual illusion of being long (not to mention first-time-through syndrome where everything feels overwhelming and you're not sure what you need to do to progress). Even Oelivert, which seems gigantic, is like a ten-minute jog if you know what you're doing; it's only six or seven screens large, and that's counting both the room with the Moogle and the boss room. Memoria is, what, ten or twelve of varying length, plus four really short ones in the Crystal World. The encounter rate is a lot lower than you're suggesting, too, and you'll normally only get one or two encounters running from one end of a screen to the other unless you're thoroughly exploring an area.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
^ Please note that your subscription to FFXI does not "run out. You have to manually specify in the Playonline interface that you wish to cease payments, or have them autocancel when they try to withdraw from a closed account. Sometimes, the former doesn't work and you'll have to contact SE directly and stay on hold for about two hours to cancel your sub.

Gammatron 64 posted:

The only reason I think they should make a single player FFXI is so that all the people that went 'EWWW an MMO, no way I'm playing a game with a monthly fee, hurf durf!'

I don't know why people have this attitude towards folks who don't like MMOs. I couldn't care less about a monthly fee; if that's the price to entry, then it's just a non-negotiable thing. What I do hate about MMOs is their userbase. 99% of the people on those drat things are of a very, very particular and very, very despicable ilk, and a player will have to work with and get to know them by necessity.

The correlation fallacy is in full effect when it comes to MMOs. It's not a case of "they addict people and ruin lives" so much as it is that it attracts the sort of personality that meshes with that psychological gameplay "payout" structure, and they are almost always the worst of the worst.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 12, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Are you also implying that by playing an MMO, I am of a particular, despicable ilk? That's kind of how I interpret that when you say 99% of people who play MMOs are the worst human filth imaginable.
I dunno man you sure takin' this personally :smug:

quote:

I think it's pretty silly and hypocritical to judge someone by something as trivial as what video games they like.
Well, I'll put it this way: I know folks in real life who happen to also play MMOs on the side, and they're a mixed bag, some of them are great, most of them are awful. On the other hand, I've never met anyone in an MMO that I didn't know in real life who wasn't an obsessed rear end in a top hat who refused to let anyone else enjoy themselves. Oh, I don't want to powerlevel? I don't read guides and poo poo and min-max everything? I don't want to play this for more than an hour or two before going doing something else? Well then you're not loving dedicated enough and no you can't just look around the game world or hang out or whatever you filthy plebeian, and they don't even WANT my kind in any party. It's like, dude, relax. I ain't hardcore about this poo poo but I've never met an MMO player in-game who didn't expect me to dedicate my life to it, and iced me out completely once they found out I had no interest in that playstyle or lifestyle.

No joke, what made me swear off MMOs forever was when I was having a pretty good time with this group, then I was like "oh man this is pretty great, sec, gonna grab a beer" and this one rear end in a top hat just loving EXPLODES all "WHAT THE gently caress DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING HOW DARE YOU DISRESPECT THIS GROUP BY NOT BEING TOTALLY AND PERFECTLY AWARE OF WHAT'S GOING ON?!" and I was like you know what, I'm done. I'm just fuckin' done.

v MQ had some fantastic music. The story isn't great by any stretch of the imagination, but it's totally Saturday Morning Cartoon material and very self-aware at least.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 12, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hedera Helix posted:

So what happens if someone gets four Berserkers, say through a combination of hard mode and Berserker risk? Has anyone ever actually beaten Neo-Exdeath on a four-Berserker run?

Anything is possible at Level 99, especially if they get like Thief (+eva skill), Knight (equip knight stuff skills), or Monk (counter or HP-plus) as their first crystal job; it'll just be more boring than watching poo poo bake in the sun.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

divide by zero posted:

Then they just don't work with the battle system all that well. I think it's a glitch that causes them to take extra long before they even get their first action in battle. Or just slows them down more, I can't remember which.

Nah, it's not a glitch, it's just the way the target selection works with berserk-afflicted characters. The normal player mashes buttons as quickly as their controlled characters' turns come up, but anything auto-controlled, from Confusion to Berserk to enemy monsters, has a very particular tempo it enters commands at.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Looper posted:

Hey, speaking of XII! [...]Any info is greatly appreciated! :)

Run really, really fast in the opposite direction. Unless you like reading history books. FF12 is basically a history book with all the relevant facts. However, history makes for neither an interesting story or interesting characters, and both are in terribly short supply in FF12. But if you don't mind soulless archetypes with no character growth from the time you meet the characters to the end of the game dancing around in a fantasy history book-plus-atlas, then you'll probably like FF12.

But if you insist on playing it, just remember: Haste + Berserk. That is all you'll ever need to kill almost anything, and it's all you'll ever need to kill anything that's part of the main storyline. That, and keep an eye on bosses' health bars: at about 10%, they enrage like in WoW or whatever: they gain a shitton of defense and magic resistance, they become invincible for two to five minutes, and they are free to pound your supple rear end with whatever desperation moves they have while their HP regenerates as they are invincible. And they keep all their stat and defense buffs even though they're out of low-HP range. You'll absolutely want to drop your MP Limit Break things when they get near that range but not quite in it.

It's really, really loving boring and annoying, so do your best to not end up in that situation.

(Mechanically, Haste doubles your attack speed while Berserk doubles both your attack speed AND your physical damage, and they stack on top of that)

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 13, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Looper posted:

I do like reading history books, actually. :shobon:

Well, there you go, I'm sure you'll like it then. Me, I hate history books. I'm very, very much from the Roald Dahl school.

voltron lion force posted:

"History does not make for interesting stories or characters" - someone with bad opinions on both history and FF

See and now you're just purposefully misconstruing my meaning. Matsuno doesn't write stories or characters, but para-historical events. This has lots of potential for the blockbuster hit of the summer, because there's tons of stuff throughout history with folks killin' the poo poo out of each other in giant battles and buildings exploding and collapsing and weird artifacts from forgotten cultures etc., but that's all very superficial. From a storytelling perspective? For developing individuals for a reader (or a player, in this case) to relate to? Really lacking.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 13, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

voltron lion force posted:

I think that all that pseudo-historical stuff that Matsuno does makes for a really interesting RPG but it doesn't seem to go over well with FF fans since the series is almost always focused squarely on the characters. It worked a lot better in Tactics I guess.

I think it worked in Tactics because Tactics wasn't actually about killing god or dealing with the Lion War or whatever, but in fact about punching a Goblin so hard that its Power and Speed were reduced to 1 so you could sit uninterrupted in the corner for five hours having Ramza shout at his party.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Has anyone had problems getting FF9 working on a playstation 2? I put Disc 3 in, and nothing loads. I tried a friends disc as well, and it didn't work either. Both of the discs are immaculately clean, they just dont read.

You probably just have a lovely/burned-out lens in your PS2, they tend not to like "black disc" games like PS1 discs and Growlanser Generations and it's never a sure shot which discs they'll like and which discs they won't. You've got a computer and you've got the discs, though, and even if it's a laptop with a first-gen Core Duo CPU, it'll run FF9 at full speed all the time in ePSXe. Give that a shot even if you gotta restart.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Alternately I could have just posted "but Vagrant Story" or something

Incidentally Vagrant Story did have a really good localization, but as has been brought up before, SE specifically tells localizers these days to ham it up excessively to have extra appeal for some precocious demographic, and that isn't fun.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 14, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Schwartzcough posted:

Where're you getting that from? Just curious.

Admittedly it's second-hand, maybe third-, but some folks came around some of my LPs saying that they either worked on or were bros with someone who worked on the WotL localization staff and that they were specifically told to do this.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

Maybe if you play Awful Fantasy. Vanilla VI is kinda boring and frankly pretty glitchy.

Now let me tell you about Final Fantasy Legends III, the one where the plot is that all of existence is a gameshow and the final boss is the producer of your TV series which he is trying to cancel.

Excuse you, but the PROPER title is SaGa III as is the case in Japan
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fungah! posted:

Kind of want to write a football RPG where the last dungeon is the Endzone.
Well, I dunno about a full-on "we are playing football" RPG but you could probably have a pretty good time writing a setting and story that seems completely unrelated but is secretly a really weird metaphor for American Football.