Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Happy Blue Cow posted:

So this week the supposed :airquote: final :airquote: FF13-2 DLC...

Excellent. Now, to wait for the Complete/GOTY/Special Edition with all the DLC included to finally buy the game...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

pw pw pw posted:

Can you show me a game with characters he designed that do not suck donkey chunks? I'm genuinely interested curious.

FF Versus XIII. You know, that game that is coming out someday. Maybe.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

You quoted me but I didn't say that :confused:

For characters, I love Edea. She is so evil and dark. I mean, look at this poo poo:

She's just so awesome, like she's going to stab you the second you look away. My favorite part of 8 was being able to play as her.

This was from a few pages back but I had to bring it back up here. I wish Edea had remained the main villain for the rest of the game.

Also, this is the least Nomura-ish design he's ever done. In fact, it looks somewhat Amano-ish, with all those head decorations and the black feathery... thing. I'm starting to doubt Nomura had a hand in this.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Pesky Splinter posted:

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo, Please don't say you just watched Advent children? :ohdear:

It's not THAT bad... if you watch the Complete version... and have lots of alcohol already in your system beforehand...

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Speaking of XIII, I'm still waiting for ANY kind of news regarding Agito. Maybe at E3? :sigh:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Saoshyant posted:

Isn't Agito the one named Type-0. It's been out in Japan for a while now with a Vita re-edition coming to the West, AFAIK.

Right, Type-0. They've only been hinting at it, nothing's been officially-officially announced yet. I'm hoping they'll pull a Peace Walker and stuff it in the PS3.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

It's okay, I'm sure we'll have XIII-3 by next year to keep us occupied until then. :downs:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Level Slide posted:

So it's Final Fantasy 8?

Good, I like 8. :shobon:

Also:

Schwartzcough posted:

FF9- "The first two disks were was great, but the last two three were just bleh."

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Evil Fluffy posted:

Non-linear exploration and progression is considered a negative? :psyduck:

It is if you only end up with a bunch of side-quests instead of a continuous narrative. :colbert:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

W.T. Fits posted:

No. Just no. He was injured, then healed magically offscreen. It wasn't ever shown in-game because the people making the game more than likely assumed the audience would be smart enough to remember, "Oh, right, healing magic," and move on from there.

Oh yeah? Then how do you explain Aeris, smart guy? :colbert:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Himuro posted:

Fellow Final Fantasy XII fans:

Fake or not fake?

So this would technically be an unmake... remake?

Krad fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 26, 2012

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

The name Valiant Saga sounds like a nod to Vagrant Story, which was also set in Ivalice.

EDIT: Hell the logo is almost exactly the same too.

The name, the logo, and you know, the story... still glad it's fake/cancelled.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

but all the girl wanted was pink hair and magic.

I thought it was okay considering everyone would pick on her if she stopped dying her hair (and she had to do it every morning for some reason). :(

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

NikkolasKing posted:

Wait, what are these wishes? She wished for two things so do you get two wishes maximum?

Isn't it just the one wish considering everyone can use magic by default? And I'm sure not-Ramza's was to have a less drunk dad, not being stuck in the game forever.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Mega64 posted:

Mewt had the drunk dad and the dead mom. Marche didn't really have anything he wanted in the fantasy world, thus his mission to murder his friend's mom and recripple his brother.

I thought the game showed not-Ramza's dad as a bum or someone who didn't have a real job or something like that during the ending.

Marche really didn't have any good arguments for returning to the real world other than being a total jerk to everyone, did he?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Mega64 posted:

We never see Marche's dad during the game. We do see Mewt's dad being a bum in the beginning, who gets a job during the ending thanks to his Judge experience boosting his resume or whatever.

Marche didn't really have any reason to stay there, though he did learn a valuable lesson in beating the poo poo out of bullies.

Oh yeah! For some reason, I was absolutely convinced Cid was Marche's dad. It's been a while since I played I guess. :downs:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Mega64 posted:

The main problem with the story is that it's not very well-written. They don't really reinforce a strong incentive not to stay in this world, and it feels more like Marche is trying to get people out because it's what he's supposed to do, rather than because it's dangerous escapism and that they're abandoning everyone they know and love and all that stuff. Granted, the story itself is a bit low-effort, but it could've worked if better written.

It would've been so easy to give any kind of motivation to Marche:

- He misses his real parents and he knows everyone else will as well (sorry bout your dead mother Mewt, man up already)
- A world mostly without grownups is not the right place to be
- Laws suck, screw them

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Schwartzcough posted:

So in the latest edition of "fake or not?", we have the alleged rebranding of FFXIII Versus as FFXV:

This would make too much sense for SE so obviously it's not real.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Azure_Horizon posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVX0OUO9ptU

Oh Square, you are still gods of visual design.

This is what you've been wasting your time on, SE? Just stop everything and get on with Versus already. You can't make money off of tech demos. :mad:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Yar The Pirate posted:

I have no idea what the problem is with that tech demo. It makes me excited to see what Square has in store.

Thing is, all they got to show for this console gen is XIII and XIII-2 I guess (XIV doesn't count). Compare that to all the games they released back when the PS2 was around. Yeah. It sucks.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Renoistic posted:

EDIT: Found it. I guess it's NWS since it's rather violent for a FF game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klTvElxgqk8

Bahamut getting gunned down: :stare:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Minrad posted:

They tried, Drakengard was an unplayable piece of poo poo and Square is generally afraid of ever trying the same thing twice.

Nier, on the other hand...

But that's not SE.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Yeah, they just published. It's like saying Batman AA and AC were made by them.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Ragequit posted:

This is no joke. I installed this a day or two after it was released and it's seriously night and day. It will make you fall in love with FFT all over again.

This is really good. I need to figure out how to install it on my PSP eventually.

Now, if they could only fix the music...

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
It's been a while for me as well, but I remember the music was slightly off. Like the reverb or some instrument's volume wasn't exactly right or something.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Mr. Maltose posted:

Mother 3 wouldn't be anywhere near as enjoyable if you didn't play Earthbound first.

I only played Earthbound for an hour and enjoyed Mother 3 just fine, thank you. :colbert:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Pesky Splinter posted:

Corrected :colbert:

And to answer that question, apparently SE executives thought so. Hence, the street rat.

It would've been awesome to have some kind of actual Aladdin character in XII. :(

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

That loving Sned posted:

I'm not convinced that Versus XIII has been cancelled, unless it's said by Square Enix directly.

I don't know, it wouldn't surprise me too much considering this is SE we're talking about. When was the last time they released a current gen game that was not XIII or XIII-2? They're more interested in portable gaming and their branch studios nowadays.

It'd be really stupid of them, though. I mean, what else are they going to do for a game this gen? If they do anything else at all.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
But I'm not talking about FF exclusively, I'm talking about their games in general. They got a bunch of games out for the PS1, the number then went down a notch with the PS2 but they still got plenty, and now... just two I guess?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's pretty common knowledge that the Spirits Within was basically Square's big disaster and was what forced them to merge with Enix. I've seen worse movies out there, but a movie with fully CG actors was an experiment that just didn't work - most audiences probably found it stepped into Uncanny Valley.

It was still better than Prometheus. :eng101:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Mill Village posted:

VII's story was wrapped up, too, and it didn't stop them from making a lovely (movie) sequel. :argh:

Wrapped up? It had one of the most open endings ever. In FF. :confused:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Pablo Gigante posted:

I think you could make an interesting sequel to FFVI about rebuilding the world and the struggles that come along with it. Of course from Squeenix it would turn out to be ham-fisted as gently caress so maybe not.

It would probably involve a new religion that pretends to be benevolent and tries to save people from falling into despair by having faith or whatever but in actuality it'd be a cult formed by the remains of the Fanatic's Tower members and they'd be trying to revive Kefka behind the scenes while everything else is going on.

No need to thank me SE, I'll be waiting for my check in the mail. :smug:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

penguinmambo posted:

I think the Ivalice games hit a nice idea in simply setting various games in a mostly-shared world.

I found absolutely zero resemblance between Vagrant Story's/Tactics/XII's setting aside from random names so I never got what the point of that was.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Schwartzcough posted:

Really, "zero resemblance"? Considering how much overlap there was in creative input between the games, they definitely all have a similar "feel." They all involve scheming and machinations going on behind the scenes. They have similar soundtracks and art style. They have a similar graphic style and I could swear there were shared sound effects, both of which are especially obvious between Vagrant Story and XII. Whether you like it or not, the characters use similar sorts of dialogue. Despite taking place in vastly different time periods, the world feels like the same place between the architecture and wildlife. The Tactics Advance games don't feel as similar, but I feel they hardly count anyway.

Yes, they share the same art designer and music composer, I know there's a similar "feel" there. What I mean is that they don't feel part of the same world/country/whatever. They don't have some mythos in common, they just have the same architecture. For example, can you picture Chocobos in VS? Can you picture Sidney riding a Chocobo? I sure as hell can't.

Oh, and the Advance games feel perfectly fine next to XII. Next to FFT, however, is a different story.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Dr Pepper posted:

Dissidia confirmed this for cannon, pretty much. :v:

Did he lose a lot of weight by the time he hopped into IX, then? :iiam:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Leovinus posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the fan-made English patch for FF12 International Zodiac Job System? I've been meaning to play through FF12 and that sounds like the version I want. Is the English patch a perfect transfer of the English subtitles to the Japanese game, or am I going to run into stuff like untranslated extra menus and formatting errors?

There are some formatting errors here and there but they're so few you'll barely notice them. Other than that, it's 99% English.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Pureauthor posted:

Well, to put it simply, I'd say that he's the only FF villain (from the mainline series, anyway) that continues to develop as a character throughout the course of the game. All other FF villains have their motivations/character set in stone by the time you first see them.

Vayne also gets some development. The problem is that you hardly see him during the thin, thin plot the game has.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Speaking of XII, I've been playing Revenant Wings, and... good God. The "story" is fine (for a sequel/handheld RPG), but jesus Christ, whoever thought putting an RTS game on the tiny DS screen would be a good idea deserves to be punched in the face, repeatedly. There's an OK game in here that can't be played because everything is so small and so jumbled together that it's virtually impossible to target what you want on some battles.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Frozen_flame posted:

What really turned me to Quina in IX is the point before reaching Terra, and the Earth Guardian scoffs at a monkey and a weird clown chef trying to defeat him. And then you can eat the fucker. Call it a stupid reason, but for the child me that was the best. The Eat mechanic I found annoying, but worth it for the smug factor.

Frog Drop is just icing on the cake.

For me, it was when Quina licked the source of every life/memory on the planet and didn't give a drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Azure_Horizon posted:

Someone's NoScript on neogaf popped up gree.com and apparently that's a Japanese mobile game developer, so...

... a TWEWY mobile social game? FINALLY, the sequel everyone's been waiting for.