Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Countblanc posted:

4 Heroes of Light feels like the strongest "game" though; the combat system is just so far beyond every other turn-based FF game, and the job system is fun.

There's a game from the same team for Japanese cellphones/iOS called Final Fantasy Legends: Warriors of Light and Darkness that's kinda similar, and a sequel-in-all-but-name coming for 3DS called "Bravely Default: Flying Fairy" (yeah wtf). Neither has been announced for international release, and it really bugs me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

C-Euro posted:

I don't know if the Wii Crystal Chronicles had a similar setup with each player using a DS for a controller but if not then shame on Nintendo.

It did, but that's mainly because the Wii game is literally just the DS game on your TV, with dual screens and everything.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Are we allowed to talk about how awesome FF:Legends were? Because its technically not a Final Fantasy game.

The SaGa series is the complete polar opposite of FF in terms of design and player agency, but whenever they try releasing them outside of Japan they're met with near-unanimous derision. I hate you, general public.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Since you're all talking music, I figure I might as well mention the upcoming 3DS game, Final Fantasy Theatrhythm - it's an Elite Beat Agents-ish rhythm game with RPG elements, set in the Dissidia universe, where you construct a party using cute chibi versions of all the various FF heroes and then play little scenarios from each of the main numbered games; some of 'em simulate being on the field, some simulate encounters/boss battles, and some involve playing in time with cutscenes/FMVs from the respective games and are kinda disjointed, but whatever.

I can't dig up any videos right now, but here's the tracklist, minus DLC:

quote:

Final Fantasy
  • FIELD: "Main Theme", "Gurgu Volcano", "Matoya's Cave", "Underwater Temple"
  • BATTLE: "Battle Scene", "Chaos Shrine"
  • EVENT: "Opening Theme"
  • SPECIAL: "Prelude", "Ending Theme", "Cornelia Castle"

Final Fantasy II
  • FIELD: "Main Theme", "Dungeon", "Magician's Tower"
  • BATTLE: "Battle Scene 2", "Battle Scene 1"
  • EVENT: "Rebel Army Theme"
  • SPECIAL: "Prelude", "Finale"

Final Fantasy III
  • FIELD: "Eternal Wind", "Into the Crystal Cave", "Crystal Tower"
  • BATTLE: "Battle 2", "Battle 1"
  • EVENT: "Elia, the Maiden of Water"
  • SPECIAL: "Prelude", "Ending Theme", "Return of the Warrior"

Final Fantasy IV
  • FIELD: Final Fantasy IV Main Theme, "Giant's Dungeon"
  • BATTLE: "Battle with Golbez's Four Emperors", "Battle 1", "The Final Battle", "Battle 2"
  • EVENT: "Theme of Love"
  • SPECIAL: "Prelude", "Ending Theme"

Final Fantasy V
  • FIELD: "Four Hearts", "Mambo de Chocobo", "In Search of Light"
  • BATTLE: "Battle at the Big Bridge", "The Final Battle", "Battle 1"
  • EVENT: "My Home, Sweet Home"
  • SPECIAL: Main Theme of Final Fantasy V, "The New Origin"

Final Fantasy VI
  • FIELD: "Terra's Theme", "Searching for Friends"
  • BATTLE: "Decisive Battle", "The Fierce Battle", "Dancing Mad", "Battle Theme"
  • EVENT: "Celes' Theme"
  • SPECIAL: "Omen", "Ending Theme"

Final Fantasy VII
  • FIELD: Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII, "Judgement Day", "Cosmo Canyon"
  • BATTLE: "One-Winged Angel", "J-E-N-O-V-A", "Those Who Fight", "Those Who Fight Further"
  • EVENT: "Aerith's Theme"
  • SPECIAL: "Prelude", "Staff Roll"

Final Fantasy VIII
  • FIELD: "Blue Fields", "Ride On", "The Castle"
  • BATTLE: "The Man with the Machine Gun"
  • EVENT: "Waltz for the Moon"
  • SPECIAL: "Overture", "Eyes on Me"

Final Fantasy IX
  • FIELD: "Over the Hills", "Something to Protect"
  • BATTLE: "Battle 1", "The Darkness of Eternity"
  • EVENT: "Beyond the Door"
  • SPECIAL: "The Place I'll Return to Someday", "Melodies of Life"

Final Fantasy X
  • FIELD: "Mi'ihen Highroad", "Someday the Dream Will End", "Movement in Green"
  • BATTLE: "Seymour Battle", "Battle Theme", "Challenge"
  • EVENT: "Suteki da ne"
  • SPECIAL: "To Zanarkand", "Suteki da ne -Orchestral Version-"

Final Fantasy XI
  • FIELD: "Ronfaure"
  • BATTLE: "Awakening", "Fighters of the Crystal", "Battle Theme", "Ragnarok"
  • EVENT: "Final Fantasy XI Opening Theme"
  • SPECIAL: "Vana'diel March", "Vana'diel March #2"

Final Fantasy XII
  • FIELD: "Giza Plains", "The Dalmasca Estersand", "The Royal City of Rabanastre/City Ward Upper Level"
  • BATTLE: "Clash of Swords", "Desperate Fight", "Esper Battle"
  • EVENT: "Theme of the Empire"
  • SPECIAL: "FINAL FANTASY ~FFXII Version~", "Ending Movie"

Final Fantasy XIII
  • FIELD: "Sunleth Waterscape", "Archylte Steppe", "March of the Dreadnoughts"
  • BATTLE: "Saber's Edge", "Blinded By Light", "Fighting Fate"
  • EVENT: "Defiers of Fate"
  • SPECIAL: "FINAL FANTASY XIII ~The Promise~, "Ending Credits"

Final Fantasy XIII-2
  • BATTLE: "Etro's Champion"

Final Fantasy Type-0
  • BATTLE: "What Becomes of Us"

Final Fantasy Versus XIII
  • FIELD: "Somnus"

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dr Pepper posted:

So is there any word on if the "Heroes of Light and Darkness" game is actually going to come out in english? Because I need a new Job System Final Fantasy like I need food and water.

None, and no word on Bravery Default either. Cross your fingers for E3, I guess.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Pablo Gigante posted:

Square Enix announced Final Fantasy Dimensions for iOS and Android, which is probably a port of that cellphone game Warriors of Light and Darkness since it has the same logo. Was that game supposed to be good? It has a job system and everything so I'm excited for it :)

It's from the same team that made 4 Heroes of Light for DS, but it's proper pseudo-retro with sprites and everything, rather than the weird mishmash of retro and modern than 4HoL was. There's also some episodic stuff like FF4:TAY, but I have no idea if it's handled more gracefully than that. Everything I've read compares it to FF5, so I'm glad it's finally coming (not that I actually own a phone to play it on or anything).

EDIT: Bravery Default isn't listed on their E3 schedule...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
All their iOS stuff has those terrible cheap text boxes/fonts, I really don't get it.

This game is an up-port of a Japanese cellphone game, so not only does it have the new ugly UI and an ugly filter over the top, but some of the sprites are more touched up than others, leading to weird discrepancies like the ones in that pic.

At least the game itself is supposed to be pretty good.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Heads up to anyone with a PAL 3DS - a demo for Theatrhythm just went up on the eShop, containing two songs ("The Man with the Machine Gun" from FF8 and "Sunleth Waterscape" from FF13). There's also an interview with Satoru Iwata from Nintendo:

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/iwata/iwata_asks_-_nintendo_3ds_third_party_game_developers_31641_49968.html#top

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mazed posted:

Maybe he just means copies+related merchandise sold? I have no citation for this, but I would presume that FF7 and all that bears its name has earned the company the most out of everything FF-related.

Just the other day they said that FF11 has been the most profitable of all the FF games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
JP 3DS dudes, there's a new Bravery Default demo on the eShop, and this one actually contains battles! Go download it and then tell me how fun it is. JP release date confirmed, too (October 11).

Zombies' Downfall posted:

If you were right, this would be a world without SaGa.

A better, more decent world.

I would sacrifice a million FF games for a new SaGa game in English.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I actually agree with this despite being the person who originally slammed the SaGa series to start this whole conversation.

RS3 is the only game in that series I can bear long enough to play to completion; it feels like it does the best job of utilizing SaGa mechanics without just being a crazy busted shitshow or having some ludicrous set of additional gimmicks. And no weapon-use limit!

I wonder how much of that is also just because it's the visually appealing 16-bit one, though. I'm a sucker for those pretty SNES sprites.

I can't dig up the links right now, but there are a ridiculous number of Japanese RS3 fan hacks out there that add all sorts of crazy poo poo, including enemies from the PSX games and whatnot.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is the 3ds or ios version of Theatrhythm considered better?

If you're a casual fan who just wants to play a few certain songs for the sake of nostalgia then the iOS version is fine, you can just buy the songs you like and be done with it. It's missing a ton of stuff - not just songs, but they stripped away most of the single-player junk and RPG elements and whatnot, but it does have a few exclusive tunes that aren't available for the 3DS version.

If you intend to spend any serious time with the game then the 3DS version is definitely the way to go - you get ~80 songs right off the bat, and there's a ton more to do (levelling characters, challenges and so on). I hear it's kinda hard to find these days, and it's not on the eShop, but even if it's holding at launch price it's still much better value.

I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, but you might wanna keep this in mind: S-E just announced Theatrhythm: Curtain Call for 3DS in Japan. ~200 songs, ~60 characters.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Box of Bunnies posted:

Oh man I hadn't heard this before. That would've been magical :allears:

Seriously, it's pretty much the only way they could get me to buy FF15.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
4 Heroes of Light is awesome. Matrix haters, vacate.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That's a preorder bonus for FF Explorers, by the way.

They also announced a free prologue download for Explorers that will contain the beginning of the game, including online multiplayer.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Szurumbur posted:

I've a question about Theatrhytm, or however you spell it (the second one, although I suppose the answer would be the same for the first one): are the music track at all arranged, or are they the original, OST versions?

The vast majority are the original tunes from the original games, I think there are maybe one or two tunes that are taken from later re-releases for no real reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Levantine posted:

The DS style Final Fantasy IV is now on Steam. If you want to play it again, I guess. 15.99 is pretty steep for a game I've played and beaten a hundred times but at least it isn't the After Years!

After Years has been remade in the FF4DS engine, I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up eventually, too.