Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I just recently started playing FFVII for the first time a week or two ago. The opening chunk was a bit long, but I thought it was fun, but the best part of the game by far was the Shinra Building, which I just finished. The verticality exploration stuff was neat, the boss fights were and that out-of-left-field minigame bike fighting was a neat, odd twist. And I guess now I reached the world map, which means things are going to start opening up.

It's definitely an old looking game, and the dialogue is extremely simplistic and has some weird translation hiccups (there's misspellings from time to time) but I can already see why so many people went nuts for this game when it came out. I bet the elevator fight sequence would have blown my mind if I saw it 16 years ago (it was still cool now). Also that climbing the stairs bit was genius and another bit of the odd touches that I like a lot about this game.

I hope that I never have to grind for anything plot wise in this game, because that will just kill all the good-will that's built up in the first 5 hours-ish that I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm playing the PSN one, and thanks for the tips, I'll keep those in mind.

The materia stuff is an interesting system, it's a cool way of basically being able to level up a lot of characters without having to use them individually. I know that screwed me in FFVI, when in the last level I had to use all these characters who were just useless since I never bothered to train them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That climbing section after one of the plates in Midgar collapse was pretty awful. There was no real difference between what I could walk on and what was background debris.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also I've been seeing people say the FFX remakes are out in December? I thought the date wasn't confirmed yet, would've been nice if they came out in the quiet period in the summer.

This is why I started playing VII, because I heard about this remake and got excited as hell because I loved X but never got to finish it since I didn't actually own a PS2 and just played at my friends house sporadically. And then I thought about the games I missed out on and kinda got back into the series by replaying IV and VI and now VII.

For someone like me who's only played I-VI, what are other suggestions for games to tide me over till the X remake? I thought XII seemed the most interesting but I haven't been caught up on these games for a long time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The further I get into FFVII, the more surprised I am at the sheer number of games they tried to cram into this thing. I just finished up with the Gold Saucer and looked up some info on Chocobo Racing only to realize that it's kind of like an entire game by itself.

Another cool bit was that marching mini-game with TV ratings but I couldn't figure out the timing for the life of me and had to walk away with nothing special. The games slight weirdness just does not let up.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FFX is the first time I ever played an FF game, but I didn't own a copy, I would just go over to my friends house and play. But since he would play on his own, I would basically be just skipping around randomly, but everything looked so cool, and since I had no context for anything, I was just kinda long for the ride.

I big moment for us was about 20 hours in when we discovered the sphere grid existed.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Playing through FFVII now for the first time and I still can't recall dying too much (if at all) on any bosses. I honestly died more often to the birds in the Wutai area because gently caress that encounter. They deal like 2000 damage to everyone to start the match. I don't think I was supposed to be there yet though so maybe it was just because of my low level.

I just finished up the Temple of the Ancients and I am assuming Aeris is about to die, since she is gone from my party, all her Materia has been returned and the plot seems to be hinting at that usual midpoint plot screwiness that is standard for these games.

My only other major takeaway in the recent bits I've been doing (beyond that's its fun and I'm still liking the game a whole bunch) is Cait Sith's shoehorned weirdness. The thing goes from non-entity to mole to sympathetic death scene in the span of like 30 minutes and then just reappears and says "OK! Lets get going!!!". I feel like I either missed some side plot there or something got cut but man that was stupid.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The more I play FF7 the more I'm surprised by the sheer amount of content and narrative strangeness. I just finished up the whole "Cloud in a wheelchair" section and I have a question: is there any point in the game where I am locked out of side-content? Because I feel like there is a bunch of stuff I've already missed or may be able to find and I hope none of it gets put behind a barrier at some story twist or something.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

The Wutai sidequest gets locked off once you hit Disc 3, but the Pagoda can be done anytime as long as you've finished the Turks portion. Fort Condor stuff obviously have specific timeframes to do them and you're past that already. That's pretty much it, I think.

Cool, thanks. I always love the first time you get free reign over the world with an airship, since there are so many places I see that I wanna do.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I guess I'm pretty much done with FF7, just have to do the Northern Cave at some point. I did all the side stuff that's not designed specifically for insane people and I've spent a few hours now working on getting that gold chocobo.

I can't remember the last time I played a game where I actually reset it to abuse RNG stuff and still thought it was fun. A testament to how much fun I've had with this game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I feel like I was very close to finishing VII there until Sephiroth cast his summon type move. I thought the Knights of the Round animation was long but holy poo poo they went all out with that. I liked that quite a bit because it was truly a "now this is a final boss!" type move, but since it killed my entire party and I will likely have to watch it again on my next attempt, it could wear thin.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

If you have KotR you should basically just cast it until he dies.

Yeah on my second attempt I just used KotR and Quad Ultima first turn and that was that.

That ending cinematic was pretty cool! As was that entire game, really. I can't really point to any parts I disliked (or if there were any parts they were so minor that I can't even remember them). The game was so jam packed with varying locations, enemies, spells, minigames, mechanics and side-bits but never managed to feel stretched thin or overwhelmed me. I can see why it was so popular and influential, I just wonder how much of that influence got incorrectly interpreted as the years went by (from criticism I've read about XII and XIII; I haven't played them myself but I probably will eventually).

Gonna start VIII tonight, I know next to nothing about this or the next game, which is weird considering how difficult it often is to separate FF games from their influence or impact. These might be the only two in the series that I have no point of reference and it should be fun.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

A lot of FFVII gets misremembered. It gets thought of a much more serious and pretentious game than it is, not one where the protagonist recovers his memory and in turn gets motion sick on roller coasters again

Yeah for sure. I mean this is a game where, moments before the big Final Battle, as the cast stands before the core of the planet and like, poo poo is Real, Cloud turns around and says "Alright gang, let's mosey!"

Those are the moments I really liked, the goofiness of it all, and those moments far outnumbered any attempts at drama.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PunkBoy posted:

As annoying as it is, I thought it was hilarious neat detail that Yuffie screws up all of your Materia layouts at the end of the Wutai arc.

Also after that brief bit where you use Cid as the leader, he briefly mentions how annoying it was to keep track of everyone's Materia.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Even though I only got recently re-interested in Final Fantasy, and the latest Final Fantasy game I've actually played is VIII, I am still extremely excited for XV. That trailer is cool as hell.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also I don't know how you can look at the hairstyles/outfits of these characters and think they're shying away from their established aesthetic.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

I don't like to admit it but this is the truth. You only needed to exploit FF's battle systems when and if you wanted to break the game in half (some were easier than others, with FFVIII being on the far end of the scale as it essentially comes to you pre-broken).

I don't even remember a JRPG I've played recently where resource management was an issue, outside of roguelikes and maybe SMT: Nocturne (which is essentially a roguelike anyway). In all other games I would max out my supply of every item and cackle like a mad king atop my mountain of healing doodads that I would never, ever use, even if my life depended on it.

Yeah there is precisely one place I use items, and that is final boss battles. I often don't even need to but it's like, "I have all these Megalixirs, I really should use a least one..."

As someone who just started VIII, the Junction system is really super cool but I feel like I'm going to become an unstoppable monster even sooner than most FF games. Right now though I'm just really intrigued by all the customization possibilities. Oh and Triple Triad is sick.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah the only games I've played that I haven't liked were I and II just because they were so dated from a design perspective. I mean, I beat them, but it was really boring, grindy stuff.

VIII, on the other hand, continues to astound with its bonkers plot and strangely broken combat system. I wonder if anyone realized how easy it was to maximize everything before they shipped it. It really is a ton of fun to screw around with all the junction stuff and its the first FF I've played since V that has even attempted this level of complete player control over specialization and character development. It's cool stuff.

The plot is goofy strange stuff and jarring really coming right off the surprisingly solid plot in VII. The characters are caricatures to the extreme. There is no explanation for how this three kids were chosen to become elite mercenaries since it appears (up to this point, at least) that they don't have a functioning brain cell to share among them. Squall is funny though, since his whole deal seems to be "People thought Cloud was an angsty jerk for some reason. Lets show these people what a REAL angsty jerk sounds like". I've only just finished the first disc so maybe things get fleshed out, but judging from that summary it appears that there's no hope of that happening.

Basically VIII is "THIS IS NOT 7. TOTALLY NOT 7 OVER HERE GUYS. gently caress FINAL FANTASY LETS STAGE A TRAIN ROBBERY" and I'm loving it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I recently played through VI again with the PSN version, which is the PSX version unchanged (as far as I know) and I wouldn't recommend it. You spend a lot of time just loading menus and fights, which is a real drag.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I really dig to structure of the world in 7. The plot demands only that you keep moving forward, chasing Sephiroth, which is mirrored by the obvious landmarks and whatnot. It also helps that you get to go pretty much everywhere at least once before you get the airship, so navigating and exploring little nooks and crannies you couldn't reach before is a lot more satisfying. Playing 8 now, the opposite is true; having spent the first 15 or so hours inside disparate towns/buildings (while being ferried to them in cutscenes) means that once you get the (SLOWEST) airship, the world is just a big mess and I don't know where anything is and it takes too long to get everywhere and why do I even care anyway this game is really stupid.

I don't like VIII very much, but I just started the third disc. Hopefully I don't have too much left and I have no intention of doing any side quests, which will hopefully speed things along.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Cosmo Canyon sidetrip lead directly to you finding out some pretty critical stuff about the plot with regards to Lifestream and such? That's pretty narratively intertwined.

Yeah. Pretty much the only non-essential village is the one where Yuffie is from. Everything else gets visited along the main plot and has something to reveal to the player and characters.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There were two cool scenes. First was when the three character who you didn't choose to be in the group with Squall died, which was a weird, cool moment where you think "well I haven't been playing with them anyway and now they're dead. Huh." And then they inexplicably come back to life a few hours later and say "there's no time to explain!!! Lets go!". Ruined the only cool bit.

The only other interesting part was wrestling the jetpack guy as you tumble out of the escape hatch and there are suddenly hundreds of people sword fighting in the background. Fun but not near enough to make up for stupid and/or boring the rest of the game has been.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Alright FF8 plot was some big time bullshit stuff before Disc 3 but now it's morphed from bullshit to batshit. I guess Squall willed Rinoa back to life with the power of love, but in that little FMV bit it looks like she just flips some switch as if she forgot to have her life support back-up active or something. That whole space romance scene was bizarre enough, and then a human voice showed up to croon over their cockpit love sesh.

Was that song in English in all versions or was that translated?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Man I hate to do this with games, but after sinking all these awful hours in FF8 I'm gonna have to call it quits right at the end. I don't think I have the patience for Ultimecia's Castle...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Vadun posted:

I'm playing through that part right now and it's actually very quick. I only have Tiamat and Ultimecia left, and I haven't gone crazy with refining cards for auto haste/protect/shell, and I also don't have Diablos for encounter-none.

It's not that it's particularly long, I just think its boring and I don't care enough to actually go through the motions to finish the game. All I'm going to do on the final boss is get squall into limit break territory make him invincible and use Lion Heart over and over till the game is done. I don't care enough about the story to do this. Or even read about it! I assume you save the world.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If there was one thing I did like about VIII, it was the music, especially the theme that played whenever you were in a Garden.

And the fact that there was a fully voiced song out of nowhere was really great.

But screw that game. Left a sour taste after how much I enjoyed VII. I picked up IX and ill start that whenever. Hopefully it's better, but it would have be downright offensive for me to dislike more than VIII.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Honey Badger posted:

Chocobo Racing was just pants-on-head easy until the Black Chocobo jockey showed up, and then became hard as hell until you got a Gold chocobo, then became a joke again.

I hate the snowboarding game, but maybe it was popular, I dunno. It felt unresponsive and a lot of the obstacles flat-out didn't show up on the screen until you were about to smack into them because of rendering strain or something.

The G-Bike game was alright, nothing I'd dump a lot of hours into. The hit detection on it is pretty bad.

Speed Square is fun on the PSX, but would be borderline unplayable on PC if not for the zeppelin propeller trick giving you like 30,000 points. Even on the PSX the lack of precision is a pain, but it's the most outright enjoyable of the minigames in my personal opinion.

Battle Square was only fun if you knew all the tricks and came prepared, otherwise it was a horrendous slog.

The Submarine game is kind of neat, and relaxing in a weird way.

The basketball game was either a complete waste or the single best source of GP in the game depending on how good you are at split-second timing. Not a fun game by any means.

Most of the other games were either completely broken (the 3-D battler and the arm wrestling), useless (Mog house, aside from the first 30 GP), or forgettable.

Yeah but just look how many there are, and that's also not mentioning a lot of story parts that are structured like mini games (the TV broadcast, climbing that mountain etc.). If nothing else you can admire it for the amount of variety and attempt at including every idea they could.

I would love to see something like a controls layout for that game that actually lists every function the buttons have at one point or another, just to get an idea of how many different ways they combined the commands "OK" and "Cancel" to make new events.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I personally hope they never remake it, just continue to preserve it in whatever form you can currently play it in. I love that when I recently wanted to play through a bunch of old FF games, they were all instantly available on a ton of platforms. I think that availability is more important than updating.

Although I am being somewhat of a hypocrite, since I'm really looking forward to X/X-2 HD.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Then that's a problem that needs to be addressed, as FF VII is only available as a PSX and PC game. It's been rereleased on the Playstation Network, so PSP/Vita/PS3 (right? I only have a PSP) but it isn't nearly as readily available as the first two FFs, or even FF6.

This is true of 7, 8 and 9. I know that tech now means that they could be put on any portable or other non-Sony console, but is there a reason they are being kept Sony exclusive? Since most of the games from 7 to 13 were Sony exclusives, does that legally affect their ability to rerelease on other consoles now that it's been over a decade later?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

precision posted:

Dodgy voice acting aside, that's pretty great looking. Why doesn't Square get into the anime business? I hear there's a good buck in that.

Square needs to get back in the movie business actually. Shame they folded so quick after Spirits Within, that movie was better than it should have been.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gologle posted:

I think my favorite party in FF6 was Terra, Locke, Edgar, Sabin, and Celes. But as somebody said before, most of the characters were all cool motherfuckers. My problem with this great game is that it had points where you HAD to play as the other characters, and since I only really concentrated on my favorites...yeah. Rough times were had.

It's one of those problems that every FF I've played has seemed to have at one point. It's less of a problem in 7 and 8 due to materia swapping in 7 and the fact that every character in 8 played same with the junction change. No matter the impact on actual ability, it's just kind of annoying when you are forced to abandon your usual choices.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've had more fun in the first three hours of 9 than I had through the entirety of 8. The game seems to be a really cheap "remember the good ole days" but drat if it isn't done really well. The cutscenes are also noticeably higher quality than 8 and have a really cartoonish, goofy and fun quality that was completely lacking in 8.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Can anyone clarify as to what the hell this part of the game was? I know there was a ton of poorly explained or lazily developed stuff in VIII but I cannot for the life of me remember a moment before or after the NORG fight where he is mentioned again.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Have I just been getting lazy from playing 7 and 8 back-to-back or is 9 just harder? I have to actually use items in battle and bosses are actually difficult. I've already died like, more than twice. What gives

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

9 is a bit harder than 7, and most games are harder than 8, so you do need to pay some attention to the game. Until you learn the 9999 moves and crush everything.

I just have to readjust to actual classes again, but even with that they took away my white Mage right away. I'm gonna wander around a bit and see what blue magic I can pick up that might be useful with this dragon-looking water boss.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

FF9's bosses are only ever anything resembling difficult because they almost always have something nice to steal and you get obsessed with getting it all come hell or high water. If you come in guns blazing they just fall right over.

Yeah I've been using Zidane to just steal constantly. My first few attempts too I didn't even have the blue Mage because I had bypassed the marsh.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is there a reason why XII isn't on the PSN Store? They have every game up to IX, and if they're going to come out with an upscaled version of X/X-2 I would understand why they wouldn't have the originals cut into any potential sales, but XII's absence is a little odd.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Quick question about a totally different FF game, because I have played either of the XIII's yet. There are a few versions of FFV in existence, and I'm wary of just getting the PSN one because FFVI had such awful load times. Does the GBA game make significant changes? Is the iOS one serviceable?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

SMT (maybe MT) started it. YHVH or the highway.

Yeah the first thing I thought of when the God is the Final Boss thing is the ending of Persona 4, which is the only part of the entire game that I didn't like. Seemed to be a completely unnecessary inclusion and kinda soured the game right at the end. But it's also still P4. I can't stay mad at P4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was really enjoying FF9. The plot has been lighthearted fare with characters I actually have managed to care about. The combat system is really interesting, especially with the ability system making equipment paramount to success, adding another layer of strategy to a game that has been giving less room for error than the last few FFs. It's also the first time I haven't minded when the game shuffles and splits up the parties, because I really do want to play as all the characters all the time and the forced separations mean tooling around with new strategies every few hours of game. I was really liking the game.

And then I discovered Chocobo Hot and Cold and now I love the game.