Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

Himuro posted:

I wish FFCC had online. The game would be a top-tier FF it did.

Thanks for this, there's something I didn't even realize I had wanted and now I'm sad it'll probably never happen. :(

Seriously, that's a genius idea, why haven't they done this yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

Pesky Splinter posted:

I thought Hamauzu's work on Dirge of Cerberus was way better. One of the few redeeming things to come from that loving game.

It's just I've always felt that XIII's soundtrack is just full of way to many wishy-washy singing and soft piano stuff. Even the final boss themes just sound like someone tried to make the most generic final boss music ever - near indecipherable Latin chanting, just plodding along in an aural clusterfuck.
That said, XIII-2's final boss themes, make it work.

That's crazy! I've come to realize XIII has a ton of amazing tracks in the game, it's easily one of my favorite soundtracks ever.

Fang's theme, Dust to Dust, Lake Bresha, The Gapra Whitewood, Lightning's theme, Blinded by Light, The sunleth Waterscape, Will to Fight, March of the Dreadnoughts, and The Archylte Steppe!

I love the singing and soft piano stuff too, so maybe it's just differing tastes.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

Krad posted:

This would make too much sense for SE so obviously it's not real.

Seriously, I kept thinking it would be for the benefit of the game to distance itself from XIII entirely. That and the name is silly and dumb anyway. Making it XV is a fantastic move (especially considering how much time has been put into it), but this is SE.. they are not good at this business thing.

Maybe that's what they meant by "FF Versus XIII" won't be at E3, they'll surprise everyone with it being XV? Wishful thinking..

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

Himuro posted:

who really cares?

It's me, I care. Square-Enix is deeply rooted within my entire gaming experience, so it's hard not to be a bit excited to see what they might have in store. While they've been in a ridiculous slump, most of their handheld games this generation have been great and I loved the hell out of FFXIII-2.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
Hahahaha, what the hell? FFIII DS/iOS is coming to the PSP.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

gigglefeimer posted:

People are always going to find excuses to hate on X-2. It's like they don't like the game for some personal subjective reason, but then they have to justify the hate to others by making up poorly thought out, nonsensical faults. And a lot of the time the things that people complain about in X-2 are also present in every other FF game.

Usually I hear people say they hate X-2 because it's "too girly", mostly because of the opening music video and the beginning of the game. X-2 is pretty much one of the top FF games I love, so I defend it just about every chance i get.

VVV Well that paragraph really proved what I said.

Rueish fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 13, 2012

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

Bongo Bill posted:

If you view each individual (non-boss) battle as an optimization puzzle that rewards you with slowed attrition of resources - which, granted, is a more valid perspective in other RPGs than in Final Fantasy - then the automation works against that, because either your gambit setup is optimal in a majority of situations, in which case you're just watching them play out, or your gambits are suboptimal and you need to take manual control through an interface that's largely inferior to standard ATB.

It was an interesting experiment, and I don't think it was to the game's detriment, but it's kind of an evolutionary dead end if they're not going to apply it to a game that's so complicated that it needs automation in order to be comprehensible at all.

That is perfect, that's exactly how I feel about FFXII's gameplay. I think part of the problem is how as you near mid-game and onward, the license board provides you were what feels like hundreds of abilities. So you're basically scrolling through a whole list of poo poo in a clunky interface to find what skill you want to use. So, that's why I seemingly found a way to fine-tune and optimize my gambits, so that 99% of the time I wouldn't have to do anything but move the character into position.

I'm not really a fan of XII's whole gameplay, it always felt like a worse version of something like KOTOR or Dragon Age.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
I'm down for XIII-3 if it's anywhere near as enjoyable as XIII-2, it would definitely be worth it just for another top-notch soundtrack.

Azure_Horizon posted:

I'm excited for the next FFXIII game if it's as great as XIII-2 was, and only if Hamauzu-Mizuta-Suzuki are working together again for another aural masterpiece.

Basically this, that music was just so drat good.

fake edit: That reminds me I need to play some more Nier, I just got the game and I'm really enjoying the music of that game too.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

ImpAtom posted:

You probably are being pretty ridiculous here. Square-Enix has actually put out quite a few fun games in recent memory. Their mainline Final Fantasy games have been iffy but they've put out some genuinely good side games, the Dragon Quest franchise in general, and while KH's plot sucks each game has genuinely been trying to improve the gameplay and often succeeds.

They're by no means a great company but treating them like Double-Satan: Devourer of Souls is silly as hell.

Yeah, the biggest faults Square has had this generation have all mostly been related to Final Fantasy. Although I thought XIII-2 was an outstandingly fun game, besides that I can't think of any good console games they've made (internally) this generation. They've done pretty drat well in the handheld market though.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
Uhhh, holy poo poo. FFXIII-3 sounds more akin to an action rpg than the first two games, if this is anything to go by. This sounds way more interesting than I intially expected.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
I have a weird thing about RPGS where it's turn-based AND first-person. It just puts me off entirely, which is why I couldn't play old DQ games. For some reason I just can't enjoy them, at least I couldn't the last time I tried. Could be different now but back when I tried Earthbound, discovering it had such a system, I just put it down.

I know it's weird.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

Mister Roboto posted:

I personally think FF7 has better music. FF9's is good...just unmemorable.=

There aren't enough psyducks in the world for this. What? Unmemorable? FF9 has the best soundtrack in the series, one of the best in gaming. It's even Uematsu's favorite score! It has countless amazing tracks and there are some that are fantastic homages to past games as well.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
^^^ Those are some wonderful pieces of art, I just love the surreal quality of Amano's artstyle.

Mister Roboto posted:

Now, FF9's music is alright. It has quality. But it simply wasn't quite the same level of Uematsu's instantly-hooked tunes. Can anyone recall FF9's boss theme off the bat? FF9's overworld? Zidane's theme? Or ANY FF9 character's theme?

Actually, yes. I can recall all of those and most of the entire soundtrack. This is why it's crazy to me that someone would call it unmemorable. Even now, I can recall the opening song The Place I'll Return to someday, Vivi's Theme, Vamo' Alla Flamenco, Steiner's Theme, every battle theme, Ice Cavern, Dali Village, Treno's, Garnet's, Kuja, Burmecia, Tantalus, Hunter's Chance, and more. I can remember Amarant's Theme!

As mentioned, 7/8/10 are just more popular in general. It has nothing to do with how great the music is in terms of why they get more covers. Again, mentioned, FFIX came out right around the time the PS2 was released so it kinda hurt it in terms of sales/popularity. (Much like every game released for a last-gen console on the brink of a new one)

Rueish fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 10, 2012

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

voltron lion force posted:

Out of curiosity what'd you think of FFX and FFX-2? Its sort of a pet theory of mine that people that like the 10 series inexplicably hate on the 13 series.

I'm a fan of FFX/X-2, thought FFXIII was.. ehh, but really liked XIII-2 so much I'm looking forward to the last part of the trilogy.

XIII had great music!

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

Krad posted:

The first one is a pretty similar style, even the melody itself reminds me of Neir. The rest... not so much.

You're crazy if you don't think all of those are very Nier-esc.

Also, I'm echoing the statements that FFIX has the best soundtrack in the series. (plus best game)

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

nene. posted:

You must not have played Radical Dreamers, or read much of anything about it. It was a sequel to CT. All CC did was take the existing connections to CT and expand them further, while fleshing out a story of a larger scale to fit a full size RPG.

Also I'm curious about what yall consider retcons on CT's story that CC made?

I never understood the issues concerning 'retcons' or inconsistency when dealing with a game series that heavily involves time travel, alternate realities, and the means to change the future. Any issues people have could just be attributed to the timeline in which x happened but y didn't or whatever.

That being said, I am a huge fan and love both games. I honestly prefer Cross over Trigger for various reasons. (Music, I love the battle system, setting, and I like the story)

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

Terper posted:

Who wants a New 13-3 trailer? Well, uh, not exactly entirely new. New stuff starts at 1:38.

I don't care what anyone says, I'm actually really looking forward to this.

I'm curious about what's going on with Noel fighting Lightning in that trailer...

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
^^ I'm with you there, I'm kind of tired of this kinda turned based/kinda action game since it doesn't really excel at doing either. I'd love if they just did an out and out turned-based or action game in the vein of Crisis Core/KH/Tales

Probably a too-long rant about where I think FF games should head but whatever.

I like that Square attempts to try new things with each game, but I feel like they lose more than they gain at times. They really need to evaluate what worked in past games, take them, and refine them. FFX had a fantastic battle system (CTB) that was under-utilized and promptly shelved after that one game. A lot of the concepts they come up with are rarely ever used again or are made worse rather than improved like: FFV/T/X-2 job systems, FFVI/FFVII magic system, FFVIII card/draw system, FFIX ability/trance system, FFXII Gambits and so on. It would just be really great if they actually took a step back and looked at all these past games, trying to utilize some of their best ideas in the next one. Hell, I think it'd be a great idea if they looked at some of the competition, more specifically Atlus and the SMT series.

Final Fantasy: Persona

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
Never thought I'd hear someone call FFXIII's music bad, despite all the negative it (and by some extension, 13-2) receives, the music was always praised.

Dross posted:

I liked FFXIII-2's music specifically because it didn't sound like every other RPG I've played since they came on optical media. I feel like the sameness of most RPG soundtracks has pigeonholed players' preferences.

Yeah, I loved the music in both games but 13-2 especially had a really unique feel versus typical RPG music. I thought the vocal tracks were fantastic.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

victrix posted:

13-2 was an abomination. I'm not even going to spend the words to describe all the reasons it was awful.

I will say anyone who told me it has better combat than 13 is a dirty, dirty liar who should feel bad and sleep poorly at night with the weight of their deceitful sins.

On to X-2, my marathon of cash-in sequels and unloved FFs continues :v:

The combat IS better, but the difficulty of enemy encounters is not outside of a few end-game secret fights and DLC.

I still loved the game overall, it's much better than 13.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
I'm definitely going against the general opinion of 13-2 here, but who cares. I thought the story in 13-2, while a bit convoluted, was way more interesting than 13. The first game was pretty typical "They are heretics! Get them! Choose your own destiny!" whereas the second is all about "What the gently caress is happening with time?" I'm extremely biased though because I absolutely love when something deals with space time fuckery.

I think the game would have been much better if it had the same balance of difficulty that 13 had, makes me wish they had some sort of 'hard mode'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

AlmightyBob posted:

I started 13-2 right after beating 13 and never finished it because I burned out but drat I guess I missed a lot because this story has gone off the rails.

The ending to 13-2 is pretty incredible and really sets the tone for Lightning Returns.