Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009
I managed to get three friends and myself together on enough occasions to do a 4-player run of the entirety of Crystal Chronicles (we beat the final boss a day or two before one guy was moving out of town). Granted, we used a FAQ to solve puzzles and find sidequests that we had no patience to do legit, and I hated the blacksmith/equipment upgrade system, but overall it was a total blast. Completely worth the effort.

We never had a real problem with bucket duty either, since we'd just give it to whoever got the map that round. Carrying the bucket's less of a pain when you're also the guy that everyone's following anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

Fingers McLongDong posted:

That's great except my complaint was never that they were anime. I love persona 4 and its the most anime of all and liking it probably invalidates my own complaints. But you're right, I honestly think it wasXIII and XIII-2 that left a bad taste in my mouth. That and it doesn't feel like there are very many good new jrpgs for home consoles anymore. I always find myself playing older classics on psn.

I think part of the problem here is Square Enix's inability to move beyond FFXIII. I mean, FFVIII not unreasonably also gets a lot of poo poo, but two or so years after it came out Square had released FFIX and X and I'm sure everyone who hated VIII enjoyed one or both of those games. Meanwhile FFXIII was released over three years ago but all we've got since then is a direct sequel, which isn't going to satisfy anyone who hated the first, and an MMO entry which, even if it hadn't been awful, wouldn't have the same reach as another single-player game.

If SE had been able to pump out Versus/XV by now and we had XVI on the horizon (and they weren't/won't be as bad or divisive as XIII is, which may be a big if), then I think people would be willing to cut XIII and the series as a whole more slack. The fact that we've been stuck on a single main-series (non-MMO) entry this entire generation hasn't done anyone any favours.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

S-E put out Nier in the last decade so this can't be true.

Didn't they outsource Nier's localization? To 8-4 I think.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

The GIG posted:

I prefer to imagine every time he tried he either was too late or showed up at the wrong time. Goes to the bad end future in that one expansion of 11, shows up right before the end of Lightning Returns, Jumps into 14 1.0 just as Dalamud opens up, has to wait for 15 to even exist. Just jumping around getting frustrated everyone is beating him to the punch.

Make this into a bonus video like that one MGS3 extra with Raiden time travelling to try to kill Big Boss and I'd probably buy X-3 no matter how lovely it is.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

So when should we expect this treatment for the snowboarding and sub minigames?

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

TARDISman posted:

Snowboarding came out a few years ago.

Shows how much attention I've been paying. Still want the sub game, though I'm sure it'll never happen (also it's probably not half as interesting as I remember it being anyway).

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, and it sucks for them, but they are not the first group this is happened to and they won't be the last. Fansubs and fan translations generally exist in a grey area where nobody involved really wants it to be a 'thing' and so everyone tries to avoid ruffling feathers. Rushing it out and being antagonistic towards the company is like the dumbest thing you can do short of trying to charge for it.

Also, according to some people in the Neogaf thread (which is otherwise mostly dumb outrage, refusing to buy the game, etc.) the translation patch included a bunch of the original game content such as FMVs with hardcoded subtitles. Not exactly the best way to keep the lawyers off your asses.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

Volt Catfish posted:

I think after FFT since it references Delita being king, right?

At the very least I remember some item descriptions referenced the Zodiac Brave Story, so yeah, it had to take place after FFT.

edit: Just took a quick trip to gamefaqs to find the item I was thinking of:
Agrias's Balm - Balm used by the great knight Agrias as told in the Zodiac Brave Story.

Killing Vector fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 5, 2014

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

Kanfy posted:

They made both him and Yuffie as DLC as a reference to them being hidden characters in FF VII. It's the only game with two DLC characters.

What, no Umaro and Gogo DLC? :colbert:

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

How do you get that to happen? I don't remember that at all.

I'm pretty sure all you have to do is have obtained Odin before you fight Seifer for the last time.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

bloodychill posted:

I think Star Wars, LotR, and Star Trek are good examples that explain why they get a way with this better as well as the Ivalice games. They all have many species/races with their own languages, including the Viera. Everyone knows Tolkien devised an entire ridiculous language for the elves. Same for Trekkies and the Klingons. In 13, the apostrophe-laden names hint at another language due to their foreign structure, maybe one the fal'Cie spoke in ancient times or something. It's very reminiscent of the romanization of middle eastern and African languages. But based on my play through from years ago, I don't remember any other unusual language constructs in the game. Everyone speaks the same language, and important and even strange old places have oddly common English names. So the 'cie thing stands out as unexplained and half-baked.

I remember that FF11 did this pretty well. There'd be the occasional wacky name complete with gratuitous apostrophe (Ro'Maeve, Pso'Xja, Eald'narche, etc.), but as you progressed through the story it became clear that that sort of name meant that the person or place was somehow related to or named by the Zilart (requisite ancient advanced civilization). Plus, of course, those sorts of names weren't being thrown at you early on or used for fundamental concepts. They were mostly seen in endgame areas and missions, circa the first two or so expansions at least.

NikkolasKing posted:

I still can't get over that our heroes did exactly what the villain wanted. Only they didn't have the excuse of Kuja or Kefka manipulating them, they just straight up did what the villain wanted even after he repeatedly told them they were doing what he wanted.

That was so terrible. The game built up the trip to Pulse such that I expected the party would find another way out of their dilemma (other than 'do what the bad guy wants' or 'give up and turn into a mindless zombie'). But no, it's all a waste of time and nothing is accomplished. So they decide they have no choice but to do exactly what the bad guy wants and hope that everything works out somehow. And then it does because of literally divine intervention. Great plotting, guys.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That makes perfect sense. I had never heard that name for the song before.
Precipitous Combat is also the track name on iTunes. I guess they changed it for official releases to avoid confusion with the Gilgamesh battle music.

quote:

Also I didn't know Bloody Excrement had another name.
Dunno about elsewhere, but on iTunes it's just called B. E.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

bloodychill posted:

I honestly never played it but now that a friend has setup a GameCube for Four Swords shenanigans, I might finally get to.

Yeah, the game gets exponentially better with each additional player, so if you can get it set up for multiplayer (preferably four players) it's totally worth it.

As for the chalice, in my group we usually just gave it to whoever ended up with the map on the GBA. Since that person naturally ended up being the de facto leader/navigator anyway, it was just the easiest solution.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

victrix posted:

Is the entirety of Chain of Memories random battles and cards? Cuz if so I think I'm just moving on to KH2.

Good luck following the first few hours of KH2 without having played through Chain of Memories. I mean, not that the rest of the series is terribly coherent in general, but it's especially bad in this case.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

So what's the difficulty/level range looking like on the Shinra stuff? My characters are still puny.... like, around level 12 with poo poo equipment, and I'm hoping I can score the extra characters before the event expires.

I can't believe you people convinced me to play a mobile game...

Starting with level 12-13 characters, I've gotten through floor 20 with no real trouble and assume I'll be able to get Tifa. Though I did get lucky with my relic pulls so far (2 Genji helms somehow and a 4* sword), so I can't complain about my equipment.

Killing Vector fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 1, 2015

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

Motto posted:

squenix.gif

Yoko Taro is the best.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009
More of a teaser, really.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009
They'll announce the release date to be in November or December 2016 and then it'll get delayed anyway.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

PunkBoy posted:

Chocobo powerslides confirmed.

Chocobo drifting is second only to boar drifting.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

All these blue sky requests and nobody asked for TWEWY2? They could even just half-rear end it and call it The World Ends With Two (alternatively: It's a Twonderful Life) and oh god I can't stop with awful titles I'm so sorry

I just beat TWEWY a couple days ago (iOS version, since it finally got patched a little while back), so I'd be all for this. Maybe when Nomura is done with KH3 in 2020 or so.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

Lessail posted:

aerith gonna live :unsmith:

There'll be a secret optional quest to revive Aerith, but in a twist doing so will get you the bad ending where Holy wipes out humanity because the Lifestream doesn't intervene.

Motto posted:

-Cloud looking sick is partly due to the lighting. Nojima likes that Cloud looks very sick.

I forget, what's the timespan between Cloud and Zack escaping Nibelheim, Cloud arriving in Midgar, and the start of the game? Maybe Cloud looks sickly because not that long ago he was being experimented on in a test tube.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

BreakAtmo posted:

Yeah, I think they escape, then are on the run for like a year with Cloud catatonic the whole time, then Zack dies and Cloud 'snaps' and takes on Zack's memories. This happens really close to Midgar, and Cloud goes straight there, so it's only a few days or something.

So more like "last week he was basically a vegetable" than "last week he was literally in a test tube," but it still explains him not looking very healthy. I was going to say it'd be neat if they made Cloud look better as you progress through the game(s), but then I remembered he spends half of disc 2 catatonic or in the lifestream, so I guess they don't really have to.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

Mega64 posted:

OK, this was amusing for awhile but I'm really concerned now. Maybe it's time to find Toriyama a real girlfriend?

Don't worry, soon the ritual shall be complete and Lightning will be physically manifested to become his real girlfriend.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009
I remember cheesing Ruby back in the day by W-Summoning a damage summon (Knights of the Round or Bahamut Zero) and Hades. Hades would inflict Stop, which Ruby's vulnerable to, and it would last long enough to recast the W-Summon. Repeat until dead. Of course, it's been ages since I last played FF7, so I don't know if that's the most reliable or efficient method of winning that fight.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

i wish this were a good game

Unlimited SaGa has really great art and music. Too bad about everything else about it.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009
Dewprism/Threads of Fate 2

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Sephiroth kills Aeris in FFVII HD and a young man named Crono emerges from the shadows

I'd be up for a Revive Aerith sidequest that involves time travelling to the moment before Sephiroth stabs her and replacing her with a replica that you win from the Gold Saucer.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

This is the first I heard about the collection, I might have to put this insanity on hold until we get more details about it.

The collection's just a rumor at this point, but SE's holding an anniversary event on January 31 where we should learn if it exists or not.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

Vanrushal posted:

Does Vagrant Story count as an FF spinoff? It does drop some names and the world seemed vaguely Ivalice-ish iirc. I could go for some Dark-powered Ashley Riot adventures with reasonable loading times. If not I guess I can throw the idea of a Platinum-style action game starring Beatrix tearing through FF8's moon to try to put an end to the periodic deluge of monsters at SE and hope they like it.

I remember a few of the item descriptions referencing the Zodiac Brave Story a.k.a. FF Tactics, and I think it opens with a quote by the narrator guy from the beginning of Tactics. I'd say it definitely counts as an Ivalice game.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

huh i can't remember any music from ffta but it must have existed

*time passes*

all the uploads on youtube are either recorded right off the GBA or this guy intentionally made the soundtrack low-res midi's

IIRC, the FFTA soundtrack had one disc with the music as you'd hear it on the GBA and another disc with higher quality versions of the songs.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

it's actually necessary because if you can't evade charm, the final boss spams it and the end of romancing saga 2 is your party killing itself forever

That reminds me of when I got stonewalled by the final boss of SaGa Frontier 2 spamming an AoE petrify move that was impossible to keep up with. Fortunately in that case I only had to reload a save from the beginning of the last dungeon to kill the earth miniboss (there were 4 minibosses that would each lock some of the end boss's moves, but you could only kill 2 of them in one run), not restart the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

The SOM remake gives me hope that an SD3 remake might happen.

Back when Adventures of Mana (the SD1 remake) came out, there was an interview with the director where he said he wanted to remake SD2 and 3 in the same style. And now here we have a remake of SD2/SoM. Unless it completely and utterly bombs, I'm sure we'll start hearing about an SD3 remake (under whatever Mana title they decide to give it) in a couple of years.