Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Very nicely done OP. My first FF was IV, which I rented several times but never got very far due to having to start over every time. So my first "real" FF was VI, and while it holds a dear place in my heart, it's no longer my favorite.

Polite Tim posted:

The Final Fantasy game I enjoyed the most was probably XII, followed closely by IX and then VI.

XII had this massive open world that felt lived in, a sense of scale that hasn't been replicated since (in the main series anyway). There was a lot to do in it, the battle system was completely removed from previous games but worked really well if you just wanted to give basic orders to your team and get on with exploring.

IX had an unusual fantasy setting with a lot of cool and dorky characters, it didn't take itself too seriously and it had an excellent skills/equipment system. The overworld, the last of it's type in an FF game, had a buzz about it, and was interesting looking. Chocobo Hot and Cold is loving amazing too.

VI just simply had a cool story, cool battle system, interesting techno-fantasy world and a tonne of optional content.

I also liked X-2V a hell of a lot.

This man here objectively has the correct opinion, with a minor edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

It will most likely use the International version as a basis.

Is this actually based on any hard evidence, or just the collective finger-crossing of the fan community? I'd like to believe if they ever release a XII HD that they release the international version, but that sounds like exactly the sort of way SE would just love to crush people's hopes.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Though, if we're talking about ridiculousness of outfits, Amano wasn't exactly immune to this either. After all, he designed the worst-dressed character in all of Final Fantasy: Kuja.

You might not like his codpiece, but at least it had symmetry and was not offensively covered in non-functional crap. No, the designs in X and X-2 and (shudder) Dirge of Cerberus still take the cake.

As to whether Amano did them, for what it's worth Wikipedia says: "Original concepts and designs were created by Yoshitaka Amano. The in-game version of each character was completed by Hideo Minaba and Toshiyuki Itahana."

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Speaking of FF fashion disasters, what's the consensus on FFXII designs? I know Vaan gets a lot of flack and Ashe too but how about everyone else?

Actually, I don't even know who the character designer for XII was. I don't think it was Amano or Nomura.

People can't give the designs in XII too much crap when you look at the rest of the series. Vaan gets most of his hate for his badly textured abs and silly posses he takes in concept art. He's basically just wearing a vest and armored pants. Likewise, Ashe's outfit isn't that weird for a game; people just don't like a serious-minded resistance leader princess to be wearing a miniskirt.

Now, Fran's outfit (along with all Viera) is pure cheesecake. Basch isn't bad and Balthier looks downright dapper.

Mak0rz posted:

How many people in Dirge, X, or X-2 wear their purple metal thongs outside of their clothes? :colbert:

You're honestly asking that? Go look at your average X or X-2 NPC; thongs outside their clothes is standard apparel. Or look at Dirge for a guy with a jock strap on his FACE. Kuja's "thong" (not sure why people always call it that, since I'm pretty sure you never see his rear end) isn't worn over his clothes; it's the only thing he wears on his crotch. But he keeps it modest with his butt cape/sarong thing.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 17, 2012

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

People can't give the designs in XII too much crap when you look at the rest of the series. Vaan gets most of his hate for his badly textured abs and silly posses he takes in concept art. He's basically just wearing a vest and armored pants. Likewise, Ashe's outfit isn't that weird for a game; people just don't like a serious-minded resistance leader princess to be wearing a miniskirt.

Now, Fran's outfit (along with all Viera) is pure cheesecake. Basch isn't bad and Balthier looks downright dapper.

Hahaha, I forgot Penelo entirely; how appropriate. Her outfit is kinda dumb, but not offensive.

Mazed posted:

Of course...not sure that Yuffie and Cait Sith qualify as any good, by those standards, but I suppose they can't all be gems. :v:

Well, they still have distinct profiles... And you generally don't see Yuffie without her novelty oversized shuriken and poo poo-eating grin indicating that she's a mischievous teenage ninja, so I think she still qualifies.

Pesky Splinter posted:

You don't need to, here's an image of jockstrap face from earlier in the thread:

Look at it! Look at it! :black101:

Worst character design in the series, right there.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Nohman posted:

Am I alone in just not liking Amano's character designs? Like at all. I really like the guy's artwork and he's got a great style. But most of his actual character designs are like someone took a pastel, bead filled messy poo poo. Most of the old game's character designs probably benefited a ton from having his designs as a base for the more cartoony sprites and not direct translations.

Even if Nomura is terrible and needs to get ejected from touching the series, I'm pretty glad Amano has been pretty well dropped outside logo art since his stuff would look awful in 3D. Even the Nomura filtered Dissidia renders of old characters look pretty godawful. I just don't get all the worshiping of his character designs.

It seems that people who don't like Amano's stuff usually don't like his style- watercolors, flowy and wispy characters, etc. His actual designs aren't bad, and look like things that normal humans would wear, or at least would be functional.
Whereas people who don't like Nomura's stuff don't like his designs- stupid hair, asymmetrical clothing, and using traditionally functional elements (zippers, belts, etc) in a purely decorative fashion. Nomura's style is pretty generic anime.

This is why Amano's stuff feels more unique in defining the series- his work is almost instantly recognizable, whereas Nomura's stuff could be any of 100 anime artists' work with the stupid cranked to 11. Hell, Akira Toriyama's stuff is highly recognizable, and that's probably a huge contributing factor to the success of the Dragon Quest series.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Does it now? Vaan was just confused as a generic Nomura character and, dear god, Ashe's design is a terrible abortion. Hookers don't dress like that, much less Queens.

I love XII, but its character design wasn't "much better".

Are we really giving Ashe poo poo for showing too much skin?

You're right! Totally unprecedented! Except Ashe actually has most of her legs, arms, and shoulders covered. She's exposing very little skin. And she's wearing wacky stuff like armor! (Granted, not much, but at least it's more than most RPG characters wear).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

.. Yes? Most of those are bad designs. I was complaining about Tifa earlier as well. "Oh, well, other designs are bad too" is a pretty poor excuse.

Her design is awful. She is wearing a hot pink miniskirt, some kind of black half-corset.. her design is a mess. Even if it wasn't, it does a poo poo job of conveying her character. She is a widowed queen dealing with serious political issues and she's wearing that. It's loving ridiculous.

I wasn't saying it was a good design, but complaining that she looked like a "hooker" when she actually shows very little skin is a stupid complaint. Yes, her skirt is short, along with the skirts of 80% of video game females. Despite the short skirt, she's not used as an obvious sex-appeal character (unlike Fran, who is).

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The clothing she is wearing is less important than where and how that clothing is cut. It's ridiculous clothing that doesn't even work for the "Well, they're in a desert and so wear little" sort of mindset. It's not quite "hookerwear" but the design philosophy of the outfit is clearly appeal and body emphasis more than anything else. Emphasis-focused clothing can actually be kind of weirder than pure bared skin depending on where and how it is designed.

The fact that she's not an obvious sex-appeal character actually makes it worse She's supposed to be someone who is treated as a serious, solemn and important character and they gave her a hot pink miniskirt. With crappy sex appeal characters at least the sex appeal works with the purpose of the character instead of against it.

FFT had some really great female character designs which is why Ashe is so frustrating.

Eh, I'm colorblind so the hot pink skirt never really drew my attention, and I think the colors come across as more subdued in-game anyway. I remember thinking her skirt was brown. Nevertheless, her design never struck me as all that cheesecakey, nonfunctional, or just plain stupid like a lot of other designs in the series. To each their own, though.

I'm actually a little surprised the character designer was the same between FFT and XII, since the designs don't look much alike. Agrias and Miluda certainly don't have the same feel as Ashe. On the other hand, I guess the Viera outfits are kinda similar to the Dancer class, and Penelo is basically wearing a female Monk bodysuit.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

If you don't mind my asking, are you completely colour blind, or just blind to certain wavelengths of colour?

Mostly red-green, but I've seen people giving me funny looks about other colors before.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

My favorite FFXII character design is that one pirate girl who wears a thong on the outside of her shorts.

Yeah, Reddas' "gang" are pretty terrible and completely out-of-place. I don't know if the character designer was doing it as a parody/homage to that sort of design in, say, X, or honestly thought it was a good idea.

I mean, look at them...

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

I will say, I don't hear a lot of people complain about X's linearity though. It's only less linear in that you can actually backtrack at a few points, and even that's restricted. Hell, you spend most of the game just trying to get from point A to point Z, with a few key points along the way. Maybe it's just because of the clearer endgoal, I dunno.

I personally feel X is still a bit too linear, but it's got a lot of diversity and "down time" compared to XIII. The paths between points A, B, and C are really linear, but there's different stuff going on at those points. There are towns to explore, puzzle temples, minigames, optional areas, etc., all spaced out pretty regularly to make it feel like you're doing something besides walking and fighting. So no, you can't go out and explore the world, but the parts of the world that are along your path provide diversity, people and towns for world building, and generally keep things fresh.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

It gets buried under zero character development and a really botched latter half of plot.

Actually, that sounds like a common complaint of the middle span of Final Fantasies, anyway.
FF6- "World of Balance was great, but the World of Ruin is just unfocused wandering."
FF7- "Midgar was awesome, but then it turns into another generic JRPG world and more incoherent as the story goes on."
FF8- "The Child soldier thing was great, but then it all goes to poo poo after the assassination mission."
FF9- "The first two disks were great, but the last two were just bleh."

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

Eh, I dunno if it works for IX. The story's still really great in Disc 3 and you have moments like Bahamut v. Alexander and Trance Kuja to really spice the story up. That and Esto Gaza, my favorite FF town. Disc 4 has the greatness of Memoria, which is all it really needs. I think the only legitimate problem with IX's story is Necron.

Yeah, I don't personally feel IX fell apart all that much later on, but it's a complaint I've heard many times. A lot of people seemed to really not like the You Are Not Alone scene, and I think it tainted everything around it in their minds.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

I know that's why it was so quick to come out, it was more my incredulity of them saying "we didn't reuse any content" when obviously, they did.

Not that reusing material is a bad thing, mind.

Although I think they overdid it with X-2, since there were almost no new assets in that game. Pretty much all the monsters and 95% of the locations were just reused directly from X.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Epi Lepi posted:

No one ever said it was deep or meaningful, though I think you're being a pedantic rear end in defining what's part of the story and what's not. I said it was coherent. Though I did forget about the concert haha.

I mean seriously though, how are the missile base section and escaping prison and fighting Galbadian Garden meaningless? The whole plot of the game before the crazy Ultimecia time travel bullshit is that Edea is a sorceress that took control of Galbadia and is looking to conquer the world. The concert is dumb, the amnesia is weird and NORG is what the gently caress, but turning the Garden into a flying base is this games fairly unique solution to the missile problem.

At the very least, the missile base is meaningless because, despite setting the "Error ratio" on the missiles to max (why is that even an option?), they STILL would've nuked the Garden if it hadn't moved. As a matter of fact, if you hadn't messed with the error ratio at all, Garden would've been safer because all the missiles would've hit where Garden WAS instead of exploding all around it as it flew off. Maybe it was such a close call because the missiles had evil Sauron eyes for some stupid reason.

FF8 really is a mess. Watching the latest LP really lets you pick out how almost every scene introduces several plot holes, or things that can theoretically be explained but only if the explanation is that everyone is monumentally retarded. It's pretty clear that no one on the writing staff really took a hard, critical look at the script after it was written and asked, "does this make sense?"

Edit:

Epi Lepi posted:

Getting the Ultimate weapon is another thing, in Final Fantasy 7 I remember having to jump through hoops to get the ultimate weapons for each character and it made it more satisfying.

On the other hand, FFX. gently caress all the ultimate weapon nonsense in that game.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 25, 2012

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

fount of knowledge posted:

I'm gonna go out and say what a lot of people are thinking: I liked the ultimate weapon challenges in Final Fantasy X. Yes, chocobo racing. Yes, butterflies too. gently caress YES, Blitzball.

I earned each and every one of those sigils, and in return I was given holy-poo poo-awesome weapons of destructive power. As it should be. :colbert:

You liked them ALL? You should be studied for science, because you are not of this Earth. Everyone hates at least one of the FFX ultimate weapon trials.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I really dislike FF8 but this is honestly a problem with LPs in general. If a LP dislikes a game, for whatever reason, they can make it look a lot worse than it is. They tend to focus on the negatives, exacerbate problems that exist or just in general can change the tone of something. On the reverse, someone who likes a weird or bad game can make it look a lot better than it is.

That isn't to say FF8 isn't a total mess plotwise because it is. I doubt I could write about its plot without being snarky or sarcastic about it because loving seriously that plot.

This is true to some extent, but not really in this case. While it's clear Azure isn't a fan of FF8, I don't think he intentionally cut out content that "wraps it all together and makes sense." I mean, he included the one screen of vague text from the computer terminal in the first 15 minutes of the game that everyone uses to say, "see, the game told you all about GF amnesia!" and the 3 words of text people use to say NORG didn't come out of nowhere.

Most of the problems I had with the story were things he did not point out at all; they're just stuff you notice when you get the story presented to you quickly without hours of random battles and menu fuckery to distract you.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Happy Blue Cow posted:

The International Zodiac Job System version of the game made tremendous improvements to the game and is by far the recommended version of the title. The problem is it's been released in Japan Only. A Complete English Fan-Translation Patch exists but that falls under :filez:, if you can get your hand on that, it's well worth it.

Would the patch itself really be considered :filez:? It isn't a version of the game itself, it's just a program that takes data from the English version and replaces the Japanese text from the International version. The site that distributed it doesn't condone downloading copies of the game, and suggests obtaining valid copies of both the US and International versions in order to do the patch.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I forget; did the game explain why she wanted PINK hair (or dyed it pink) instead of something normal like, I dunno, black or brown, or since we're talking Ivalice, blonde? If you're trying to cover the shame of your weird hair color, I don't think dying it hot pink is the way to avoid attention.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Also, getting rid of charge times removes a HUGE amount of the actual "strategy" of a strategy RPG. Also, by portioning out abilities via available equipment instead of on a JP basis, you restrict the players ability to break the game (which is really half the fun).

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

So in the latest edition of "fake or not?", we have the alleged rebranding of FFXIII Versus as FFXV:

http://www.gamezone.com/products/final-fantasy-versus-xiii/news/final-fantasy-xv-leaked-for-wii-u-and-ps3-no-xbox-360

I'm inclined to agree with the author, but on the other hand I've suspected they'd do something like this with how much time and money they've undoubtedly sunk into a side project like Versus.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

AzraelNewtype posted:

I'm playing Final Fantasy XII-IZJS for the first time (and never played vanilla), and just got through the dungeon where you get Ashe. I made some class choices that are apparently, fairly questionable:
  • Vaan - Hunter
  • Penelo - White Mage
  • Balthier - Machinist
  • Fran - Archer
  • Basch - Knight
  • Ashe - Red Mage
I get that it's theoretically possible to beat the game without touching the license board at all, but as someone who doesn't really know how to break the game (and doesn't particularly want to on a first run,) how badly did I screw myself over? It's early enough that I'm not particularly against just restarting.

Why do you think you screwed yourself? It's not a bad team; a little light on offensive magic, but the only class that really isn't is black mage.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

AzraelNewtype posted:

Well, I was chewing down phoenix downs like candy in the dungeon where you pick Ashe up, both before and after grabbing her. Also apparently machinist is a terrible idea just on its own merits, and Fran comes with a couple offensive spells that get no love with an Archer.

There really isn't a lot you can do to break FFXII; not like 5 or 8. You can level up, find good equipment by exploring, and set up good Gambits. The closest thing you can really get to breaking it is getting the Nihopaloa accessory, which will trivialize a lot of fights. The game in general is more challenging than that lot of FFs unless you grind, and that area you just cleared in particular gives a lot of people trouble. Buffs and debuffs are very important, so don't forget to throw up Protect and such.

As for your class choices, the one or two offensive spells Fran starts with aren't worth worrying about, since they will be too weak to hurt anything shortly. The Cure spells the girls start with can always be useful for after-battle healing, though. If, for some reason, you wanted to boost Fran's magical power (more for her Cura spell than anything), there are 5 Magic Lore licenses hidden behind an Esper, but I wouldn't really recommend them.

Machinist gets guns, which can be very nice for doing set damage while ignoring defense and your stats, and they get all the potion and remedy lores. Also, they get some excellent Time Magic for end-game areas if you give them the right Esper. (In case you're not far enough to have really caught on, you can only teach each Esper to one character, and a lot of Espers unlock certain licenses on the different license boards. So you should check each license board before giving someone an Esper, to make sure you're using it "optimally" to unlock the best licenses).

If you're really not feeling comfortable with your team and want to restart, though, the classic standby team of White Mage/Black Mage/Red Mage/Knight/(something good with items and preferably ranged damage) is hard to go wrong with. Almost any team you make WILL be missing useful abilities, so you just have to adapt.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

pw pw pw posted:

Would you play through final fantasy tactics with only 4 jobs?

Yes. :colbert: I've beaten FFT using only a single class for all four characters, and done so for most of the classes.

I would do this, but I feel like I just completed my last four job fiesta (I think I missed the actual event last year). Then again, maybe it was a year ago, and time just flies when you're old. I also have a backlog of unplayed games, so yeah. Also also, I only have the cruddy PSX version.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Well this is something. Versus XIII possibly rebranded as Final Fantasy XV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjal3E6-sk0

I'd sure like to see this on Wii U.

Yeah, I posted that about a day ago, but Square has confirmed it was fake.

Now whether they actually DO rebrand it at some point, who knows.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I started playing my last run of FF5 like this then changed my mind because I wanted to mess around with combos I had never used before.

A lot of jobs are much better than I thought they would be! Not geomancer though

Edit: If anyone doing this run got Geomancer I'm sorry.

Also a lot of jobs are effective at different points of the game so just because a combo is destroying everything don't get cocky! Someone post their jobs those are fun to look at

My four job fiesta was Blue Mage, Red Mage, Geomancer, Dancer. As far as damage goes, Red Mage is nearly useless late-game, Blue Mage is situational, and Dancer is highly unreliable. For a good part of the game, I was relying on the Geomancer skill for most of my damage. Sure, the damage was usually pretty crappy, but it was free!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

Can't you doublecast Blue magic with !Blue and !Doublecast? I feel like that would be pretty goddamned potent for defensive purposes at least.

No, Blue magic doesn't work with Dualcast, so Dualcast was only really good for defense with the basic white magic that !Red gives you, like double-life or double-protect. Also, some of the defensive Blue magic was difficult or impossible to get without a Beastmaster anyway. I don't remember all of what I managed to get, but things like Big Guard were right out.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Minrad posted:

Wait, I thought one of the rules for fiesta is that you could only use abilities from whichever class your dudes are locked in to? Ie, no blue mages with barehanded even if you have a monk, or whatever.

Nope, you can use any combination of skills from any of the classes you get, so long as one person is in each class at all times.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

What is berserker risk? Is that just not taking berserker out of the random drawing?

Dr Pepper posted:

For every 10$ donated to Child's Play, Gilgabot will automatically give anybody who tweets that Berserker

Incentive for people to donate money to charity by guaranteeing it will make someone suffer.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Fungah! posted:

Red Mage is hilariously good at murdering World 1. At that point, the class is basically Black Mage+White Mage with solid equips. The second you hit World 2, start using them as your primary Protect caster or give them a decent backup ability as your second because you're not going to be doing any more damage with them. !Doublecast is nice if you've got Black, White, or (maybe?) Time Mage, but that's about all the class really contributes.

Red Mages have a lot of equipment options, so that's something. But yeah, past the first world I pretty much handed mine the Healing Staff and had him on heal duty every turn for the rest of the game.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Doesn't Galura counter everything? Make sure you're not attacking so fast that you get countered into the ground. Taking it slower and using more time to heal/defend might help.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

Decided to start a new FFXII run. I kinda wish I was playing IZJS (if I were I'd have all the Gambit by now and actually have a reason to open chests :v:), but oh well.

Vaan is stealing everything. I even managed to get one of them fancy Astrological Sigh Gems off the Flan boss. The only trouble I've run into is trying to keep Guest!Basch alive when he is just intent on suiciding against anything he sees. Well, that and trying to score a Kotetsu off a Werewolf, but more and more that's looking like a waste of time.

I'd say just steal the Gladius dagger off the Lindbur Wolf (kill 20 wolves in the Westersand). It's probably strong enough to get you up to Raithwall's Tomb pretty easily, at which point you can get the Demonbane, followed shortly by Deathbringers.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVX0OUO9ptU

Oh Square, you are still gods of visual design.

I'm sure it's different divisions of the company or what-have-you, but I can't help but feel a bit cranky thinking about the time and money Square must spend on these tech demos (see also the FFVIII ballroom scene created in real-time), when they seem to have any number of projects forever trapped in development limbo or getting cancelled. They also love to tell us how impossible it would be to remake old games because "you have no idea how much time and effort it takes to make these worlds with new graphics," and yet we get mini-movies like this with incredibly detailed worlds, new characters and locations, etc. that are not part of any project at all and are just to show off.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

It seemed to be the story of Morrigan from Dragon Age: Origins using the power of Crystal Coca-cola to recover from a insurgent attack. When I saw that refreshing bottle, I was wondering if this was another crossover marketing deal like that FFIX coke commercial.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

VagueRant posted:

It never ceases to amaze me how footage that doesn't come close to showing any gameplay or telling a story can build hype. I mean there are people who are still looking forward to Versus XIII? Based on what?!
Hell, any hype is mind-boggling when you consider the track record of Square-Enix.

On a lighter and more nostalgic note: does the theory that everyone's favourite FF game was their first hold true?

Well, they HAVE put out Versus XIII previews that had something very much like gameplay. Sure, it mostly looked like they slapped a new graphics engine over some kind of Kingdom Hearts gameplay, but there are worse options out there. Which is what makes it so baffling that the game has disappeared for the last year and a half- they seemed to have graphics and gameplay at least partially worked out, and then total blackout.

Anyway, the first FF I played was 4, but the first I owned and beat was 6. 6 still ranks in my top three with 12 and 9. 4 doesn't really rank.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

Who cares? It looks cool and could make for a good game if they explain what's going on. It's not difficult to see that it's a magic vs. technology war

Kinda like FF8, your favoritest FF?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

CharismaticHorsey posted:

That's it? That didn't look that fun or interesting at all. Hell, it looked like the same tired poo poo with shallow gameplay Kingdom Hearts has already mastered. This time with even more solid black outfits.

I think a lot of the game's appeal is still based around aesthetics (since that's almost all we've got), in that the game does a lot of stuff that's pretty rare for a JRPG.

- Generally modern-looking world that doesn't trip over itself trying to look "fantasy" with rainbow colored flying buildings and poo poo.
- The characters that have been shown do not appear to be Spunky Teenage Hero Group # 784. We have older dudes talking at normal volumes. We have cutscenes involving a conversation during a car ride, instead of OMG flipping off planes and blowing up this robot and then exploding this building WHOOSH now a fighter plane is swooping in BOOM! like we've gotten used to. This causes people to hope that the storyline will be a little more mature too.
- The character designs in general do not make you want to gouge your eyes out, and actually look like things sane humans might wear.

Granted, there were some promising looking elements from the gameplay as well, like being much more action-focused than any other FF, rideable vehicles and weapons, potentially destructible environments, etc. Who knows how much will pan out, but it seems like a breath of fresh air for the series in a lot of ways.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 7, 2012

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

bef posted:

Is final fantasy tactics advance any good? I've heard good (and difficult) things about the one on the playstation but I was wondering if the gba version holds up as well.

I'd definitely recommend FFTA2 over FFTA, in that it was generally improved and had less bullshit. As far as challenging fun gameplay and breakability, though, the original FFT blows them both out of the water. Don't be put off by the alleged difficulty; it has a few very tough fights, but people who have gotten comfortable with the game can stomp all over everything without any trouble, and have made obscene hard mods just to get any challenge anymore.

Firaga posted:

I just started a new file in FF12 IZJS and I've only played through this game once when it came out, does anybody have any advice or general tips?

As in the original game, steal everything. Put an Enemy HP = 100% -> Steal gambit on your leader, and an Enemy: Party Leader's Target-> attack gambit on everyone else. The stealing will be important for earning money and unlocking items in the bazaar.

You don't need to buy every single equipment upgrade for each character. If you're short on cash, skip some armor every now and then. You usually shouldn't need to grind TOO much.

Before assigning Espers to a character, check everyone's license board to see if the Esper unlocks licenses for any of them. Similarly, the boards have 4 Quickenings, but you can only have 3 per character- the last will disappear. Make sure you take all the Quickenings that unlock other licenses.

I'd suggest making someone a white mage.

Advice beyond that depends on how min-maxy you want to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Krad posted:

It would've been awesome to have some kind of actual Aladdin character in XII. :(

And if Princess Jasmine Ashe had a pet tiger. And maybe she could launch it from her wrist like some sort of ballistic dog.

Also, I knew I wouldn't be able to resist. I have #regharded so hard for the Four Job Fiesta.