Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

The White Dragon posted:

My big controller problem has got to be FFT. FF7, yeah, O to confirm X to cancel but 1) you could change it and 2) that's basically SNES controls (A confirm B cancel). FF8 actually tripped me up quite a bit when they switched it, but I got used to X-confirm with Squaresoft's subsequent releases and off-flagship titles. Then I picked up FFT in... '01, '02 with no customization menu? God drat.
Ugh, this really screwed me up during my first playthrough of FFT. I was woefully underprepared and like a dumb-rear end I saved over my file in the middle of the Riovanes castle sequence and got completely stuck on the Velius fight. I got so frustrated that I put the game down for a few weeks and played something else.

When I picked up the game again I had gotten used to X as confirm and through a stroke of luck I was able to beat Velius. The prompt comes up to save before the rooftop battle and I accidentally cancel out of it without saving. Rafa of course proceeds to get killed immediately. I think at that point I just gave up and started a new file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

ConanThe3rd posted:

And yet with Dragon Quarter they dug so far down they reached China.

Any game where the system is set out to punish you the very moment you begin to have fun (Dragon Form, Running, Trying to Save and even Fighting were captial crimes in the game, rising that D-Meter up and screwing you out of another potential win) and deny you the ability to win the game on the first playthough (and isn't a Rougelike or similar game, where part of the fun is the story of how Captain Idiot the Jester Dwarf met his untimely end via a combination of Stairs, a cockatrice and his +2 Amulet of Explosivo) is not what I'd call an innovation.

It's a square wheel.

It would have really helped Dragon Quarter if the game made it very explicitly clear that if you play through the game without using the dragon then the D-Meter will only rise up to about 45%. You're not going to get anywhere near 100% unless you use it multiple times.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Saga Frontier is fun as long as you make sure to take advantage of the unique characters in each scenario and build unique teams. Like with Lute, get Captain Hamilton ASAP and then train five gun users, and watch as all their regular attacks link together and do ridiculous damage :getin:

Yeah, Saga Frontier is really fun once you know what you're doing. It just takes like 2-3 separate character playthroughs to get to that point and until then it will suck.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
That giant Leviathan just going around the city wrecking poo poo looks really cool.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Can someone repost that hilarious picture of Lightening where she scowling right at the screen in the weird costume with the giant head and tiny body from earlier in the thread? I know this is most pictures of Lightening in 13-3, but this one was just the most pronounced. I think the costume had a lot of straps or something maybe?

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Hahaha.
While this one is amazing, I was looking for the in game version. I think it was one of the earlier costumes revealed.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

pichupal posted:

Could it be this one? I think it's partly pre-release, but it didn't get that much better.

I think that might be the right outfit, but she's literally scowling straight at the screen and looks angrier.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Schwartzcough posted:

Maybe one of these surly seductresses?

Yes that's the one. Thanks.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

NikkolasKing posted:

Far as I'm concerned, it's the best OST in the series

Best Boss Theme? Check.
One of, if not the, best Special Boss Themes? Check.
One of, if not the, best Final Boss Theme? Check.
One of the best dungeon themes ever? Check.
One of, if not the, best Town Theme? Check.

And I guess that is getting obnoxious. But then there's alsO Golbez, Clad iN Dark, Red Wings, Theme of Love, the Lunar Whale.... The list just goes on and on.

I think Golbez's theme is ripped from some real music though. Although I've heard a decent bit of FF's more epic music is shamelessly ripping off classic music. Dancing Mad I think did it?

I don't know. The FF6 OST was able to make what would be a creepy and gross plot have emotional impact almost entirely due to the song that played during the relevant scenes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TzPDsBNtsw

Also, as a bonus it completely blew my mind when I found out that t was a slower remix of Locke's Theme with different instrumentation.

This is awesome.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jan 12, 2014

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Rirse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQrBSO74DzA

This trailer for Lightning Returns is interesting, as it a recap of the FFXIII and FFIII-2 plot using Final Fantasy VI style sprites. It really well done too, but bums me out they cant just make a new game like this, instead of the horrible iOS style they been using.

Haha. Yule running right up to Caius 4 times with the loud thumping sound is hilarious.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Fou-Lu from Breath of Fire 4 was a pretty great antagonist. As far as pure villains are concerned, Yuna from that game was really good too.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

The White Dragon posted:

It's too bad that Breath of Fire 4 takes longer to fire up its engines than Xenosaga. I must've played that poo poo for like five, six hours and nothing interesting happened.

Yeah Breath of Fire 4's pacing is some of the worst in the genre which is a real shame because the combat system (especially later when battles get hard enough to make you utilize it to its full potential), overall story and music is really good.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Artix posted:

For starters, Light/Vanille/Fang is...okay? Biggest thing I can see is that you don't have a Synergist and you're double-dipping on Saboteur. If you're committed to that party, I would go with a Paradigm deck something like:

Relentless Assault (L-R, V-R, F-C)
Combat Clinic (L-M, V-M, F-Sen)
Delta Attack (L-C, V-R, F-Sen)
Matador (L-R, V-Sab, F-Sen)

And then two paradigms of your choice to complement them. Assassination (L-R, V-Sab, F-Sab), Aggression (L-C, V-R, F-C), Solidarity (L-C, V-M, F-Sen), or Smart Bomb (L-R, V-R, F-Sab) are all decent choices, depending on your needs and who you're playing as. You probably want to start in Delta Attack, and then switch to either Relentless Assault if you can finish a fight quickly, Combat Clinic/Solidarity to heal up as necessary, or Matador/Assassination to drop some debuffs.

Alternatively, switch out Vanille for Hope, which gives you one of the best, most balanced parties in the game (and because you could really use a Synergist). Also, don't worry about upgrading your poo poo because it's really not necessary at all unless you're going for the postgame stuff and you have to really like the combat system to do that. You should look into setting up some Synthesized skills though, because those can help cover up for a lot of shortcomings.

E: Also, don't bother pouring any CP into secondary roles, the costs skyrocket really really quickly and you'll get way more returns out of your main roles.

Having both Saboteur's isn't too terrible because Vanille and Fang fullfil such different roles as Sabotuers (Vanille is more about increasing damage dealt, whereas Fang is more about crippling enemies to reduce damage received.) That team is pretty frail though so swapping out one of the characters for Snow might be pretty helpful. I went through the game with a main team of Fang, Snow and Vanille, and I usually had a pretty easy time. In general though it's best to start with an offensive paradigm to gain momentum early on and then swap to a defensive one once you need it. From there you can buff yourself/debuff the enemy so you can endure their attacks and regain enough offensive pressure to eventually stagger them.

Also, you almost always want to have a damage dealing paradigm (3x COMs or COM/COM/RAV) and a stagger boosting paradigm (RAV/RAV/COM, RAV/RAV,SAB). So that can help simplify your paradigm deck decisions somewhat. The other four slots can be used for various HP maintaining (RAV/COM/MED for example), buffing and debuffing (SAB, SAB, COM for example) or defesive (SENT/MED,MED for example)combinations.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 17, 2014

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

W.T. Fits posted:

New Curtain Call DLC is up for anyone interested:

Character - FF7 Advent Children Cloud

Songs
Romancing SaGa - Coup de Grace (BMS)
Romancing SaGa 2 - Encounter with the Seven Heroes (BMS)
Romancing SaGa 3 - Devil Lord Confrontation I (BMS)
Romancing SaGa - Horrible Shadow (FMS)
Final Fantasy 8 - Premonition (BMS)
Final Fantasy Fables:Chocobo's Dungeon - Pop-Up Duel (BMS)
Final Fantasy Tactics - Ovelia's Theme (FMS)
Final Fantasy 9 - Vivi's Theme (FMS)

That's really neat that they're including Romancing Saga music. Seven Heroes Battle is really good

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Firstborn posted:

Wild Arms: I really liked the WA1 remake, XF or whatever. I didn't really like the sequels.

I'm really hoping that the composer for the first 4 or so WA games will do another soundtrack because she is crazy talented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4uR39jNeGE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-0uVT66vDU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8hUaKdzVA4&list=PLB84D65CA40B2FF56&index=47
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmh2gQpb6MM&index=55&list=PLB84D65CA40B2FF56

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Started up the randomizer for FF6. I died a bunch in the opening sequence because one of the random enemies could cast level 2 spells. So far, Terra uses the Celes sprite and throws Ninja stars as her main weapon. Her two skills are Random Heavy magic which seems to be a bunch of percentage damage spells, and Random Rare which casts high level stuff like Love Token and Fire Ball. Lock has some dreadful Imp attack that tries to Imp one random target, and Blitz. Mog also has Blitz, Morph and an empty slot that I guess is for magic. Edgar is the most interesting and has Slots (most common outcomes are single target vanish, single target protect and throwing a Water Skean), Lore, and Magic with a few support spells.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Is the guy with the glasses in the main four the same guy who voices Professor Layton? I've been playing Azran Legacy and they sound very similar.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Volt Catfish posted:

I hate snow because he's easily the worst character of the 6 battle wise and there''s no reason to use the fucker once you get party customization

like, ever.

I don't think he's the worst really. I forget which, but one of either his physical or magical animations are the fastest which helps out his damage and stagger rates and he's by far the best Sentinel which is a nice niche. He's not as good as Fang, but I think he's better than Sazh.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Pesky Splinter posted:

This is my face right now at that statement:

:toot:

This is mine

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
FFTA biggest problem is that the base accuracy on most attacks was something like 70%. It's such a stupid decision that does nothing but lengthen battles for no good reason.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

corn in the bible posted:

all you had to do was use concentrate

Forcing players to use up their support slot just to get reliable hit rates is not a good choice when designing a battle system.

Dr Pepper posted:

Attack from the side and back

Edit: Or blind everyone. I loved the Archer skillset.

Attacking from the sides and back only boosted you to 70% and 80% hit rates. FFT handled it much better in that most regular damage attacks were reliable unless the enemy had an equip or skill to boost their evasion.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 18, 2015

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

forbidden lesbian posted:

i did not like FFTA2, as the sweet bunny assassins were nerfed

Sort of. They couldn't Stop Breath everything but Blood Priced Ultimas worked almost as well, and could be used from far away. Also, while they weren't assassins, bunny summoner/red mages were the only mages that were any good in FFTA2.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

forbidden lesbian posted:

Yeah, that figures, I was hoping maybe some of them might be a little worth it. Ah well, not a big loss.

I learned to stop using Snow and Vanille long ago buddy.

It depends on your party composition. Early on as Tempo mentioned it can be handy to pick up the basic Sentinel, Medic, and maybe Saboteur abilities for those that don't have it. I mainly stuck with a team of Snow/Vanille/Fang so giving Fang some basic Medic abilities really helped out. Late game it's nice to get Ravager, Commando, and Sentinel as high as you can get them on everyone as well as having two good Saboteurs and Medics because each class gives passive bonuses to the rest of the team based on their class level.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Snow and Vanille work pretty well together for the most part. Even if you don't add another Medic, Vanillle is the best one and Snow is the best Sentinel so you can get by just by grabbing Cure if you want to use Sazh or Fang.The only character I wouldn't use with those two is Hope since you really want two good physical attackers.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Give Me All Your Love is pretty good too.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

MrLonghair posted:

FF6j:

Adding to the list as we go.

Takes about 20-30 minutes in FF6. Right after you get Edgar.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I love how one of your party members slow claps after Ramuh fries the behemoth.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I'm very much looking forward to reviving Aeris by purchasing the $10 Ultra Phoenix Down DLC.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
One really nice thing about the more recent Dragon Quest games is that they give the party members incredibly smart AI so if you want to grind it's really easy. Towards the end of DQ6 DS remake you could put everyone on Don't Use MP and they would still exploit weaknesses and find the strongest damage skills between item casts and free abilities to end battles very quickly.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Hamsterlady posted:

What's with the iPhone and Steam ports of the old FF games, anyway? The monsters look immaculately beautiful and then all the other art looks like it was done by an intern's 13 year old kid

Boss sprite

Character sprite from same game

I never noticed the old Exdeath blue armor form poking out of the top of this form until seeing this sprite just now.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Paperhouse posted:

I'm not sure about the answer to your question, but I feel like the Yell tactic is going to be quicker if you already have it. Even if not it may be worth getting it because it makes the battle really easy. You can also use Accumulate if you have it to boost your attack as well as speed

What I'm curious about is if this is how the game devs actually intended for you to win the fight, since for most people it seems to be the only way to do it

A spell caster with ample magic boosting equipment could also probably have enough health to tank the lightning stab and then drop a sufficiently powerful Flare/Holy/Summon on him.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Evil Fluffy posted:

When did strategy guides turn in to such garbage anyways? The one for SaGa Frontier flat out had wrong information for tons of stuff, like saying end game bosses had 10-15k HP, and the only useful information in it was the gold bar money trick. I don't think it even told you what happened if Blue lost the duel with Rogue, just that you should buy a bunch of laser guns(?) to use in the fight.

To be fair, if you don't have an insider helping decipher the mechanics, Saga would be a tremendously difficult game to make a strategy guide for. With the way the encounter system is designed it is entirely possible for an endgame boss to have 10k HP or 80k+ and bringing laser guns to the Blue/Rouge duel is an entirely valid strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

TurnipFritter posted:

Disruptive Wave has been around since 3 (maybe 2?), but usually it was reserved for like, the final bosses or otherwise very important story bosses. But in 8 it's like, every boss for half the game.

8 also introduced a Tension system so I can understand why they gave it to so many bosses. Without it you'd just tension up to 100 vs every boss, but Wave of Ice makes it a lot more of a risk vs reward system.