Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

pw pw pw posted:

Can you show me a game with characters he designed that do not suck donkey chunks? I'm genuinely interested curious.

FFXIII, for all the flack it gets, has significantly better Nomura designs than like any other game he's done. It's like he tried not being himself when making them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Gaseous Snake posted:

The thing that bothers me the most about Gunner Yuna is that loving hood. What the gently caress is that even for

Her design's mimicking Tidus.

She's got things like the hood, the retarded half-dress, and Abes' symbol on her chest. Obviously it's not a good looking design, but there was at least some reason for it.

quote:

Agreed. Like I've said quite a few times, Fang is one of my favorite FF designs ever.

Yeah, Fang's an odd one, since her clothes are by all means stupid looking, but they end up looking pretty good in practice. Context is really everything.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

p.crestmont posted:

That's the sprites' problem.

But the sprites are very nice looking and the portraits look like complete rear end, so that'd be Amano's problem.

I really hate the large disconnect between the offical art and what's actually ingame.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Do you just hate Amano's art, or do you think they're poorly rendered ingame? I disagree either way but the latter is way more understandable.

Both, really. His art is nice and all, but I don't think it fits the settings very well at all. The fact that ingame they look nothing like what he drew just makes it worse.

quote:

The disconnect for the characters is only really big in FF5, where pretty much nobody looks like their artwork besides Galuf I think. In 6 the characters look quite a bit like their artwork other than Locke's bandana, and in 4 I don't actually think Amano did the status portraits anyway because for example Cecil's DK portrait just looks like a generic medieval greathelm whereas in the Amano art (and on the sprite) it's some kind of crazy elaborate aerodynamic anime thing.

It's not just what the characters are wearing, it's the entire sprite style. FF6's humans all have really bulky arms and tiny legs, for instance. Locke looks more like a hired grunt than an agile thief.

The only version of 4 I've played is the DS version. While the designs looked more Amano, I didn't think they were very good to begin with anyway. Mostly Cecil's and Kain's armor, and Rydia's everything.

Never played 5, so I can't really say.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Pretty sure Nomura stopped right around his left pant leg.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Lightning's pretty much a rebel teen, even her name makes me think this.

"I'm not Claire anymore mom, I'm Lightning!"

She also used the phrase "Worse birthday ever" in a flashback.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

They gain eternal life by existing as a crystal forever. As far as they knew, nobody would ever be freed from it. Even if they were technically alive, being stuck like that is probably worse than death, and that's why Lightning and Sazh felt that way.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Level Slide posted:

Now that I think about it, aside from her design, Claire Lightning doesn't really have any similarities to compilation Cloud aside from a few instances of ~mysterious~ during the very beginning. Even then, that doesn't last very long.

I figure Lightning is Post VII Cloud in the same way Post VII Cloud is VII Cloud. A derivative of a derivative.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

Are we really giving Ashe poo poo for showing too much skin?

Yeah. Rikku in particular is one of the worst designs in the series.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Weren't they turned into cie'th and not crystals? There's a big difference between the two, because the former was just Orphan deciding their time was up.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

quote:

Yoshinori Kitase stated that they "didn't really intend to work within with the RPG template," but "wanted to create a new game, even a new genre." He stated that "in a lot of senses FFXIII is more like an FPS than an RPG."

What the gently caress does that mean?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

But you could say that about any other game of the genre. If anything, it's an RPG taken to its total extremes.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Wait, what? You lost me - by 'the genre' are you talking about RPGs in general or just JRPGs? And how is XIII taken to an RPG's total extremes if we're working off the definition of an RPG as a Game in which you Role Play? :confused:

I meant JRPG, since saying "They expected it to be too western" was a pretty dumb thing for him to say. This was afteral, the 13th main game in the series. People know what to expect when they play Final Fantasy.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

I still don't know if that's ENTIRELY fair. I mean, 13 was way different from 12 which was quite a bit different from 10, which was (to my knowledge, having not played 9) quite different from 9 which was still pretty different from 8 which had some notable changes from 7. They DO shake up the game structure a fair bit with each new main series game. Considering that 12 was way more open than a lot of the other final fantasies, people might've been expecting more of that, which would make the linearity quite a bit more jarring. A big reason the linearity didn't bother me was because I'd already heard all the freakouts about it going in, so I didn't go in expecting as much exploration as 12.

I think it's mostly the way they didn't even pretend you weren't just walking in a straight line, combined with the way the battle system appears to do everything for you early on. The illusion of choice really goes a long way in these kinds of games, and this one was just brutally honest.

quote:

And I wouldn't say there's know world-building. You're shown a fair bit about how people live in Cocoon and how things fell apart leading up to the purge - there's the flashbacks to the fireworks show at Bodhum, Snow proposing to Serah, Lightning's Worst Birthday Ever, people getting rounded up for the purge, etc, and the datalog fills in gaps. I thought it worked. Some good exploration would've probably made it work better, but I didn't think what we had was bad, and there was the plot justification that the six most wanted people in Cocoon wouldn't be able to just stride around busy towns and hit up the local inn.

There's world building, it's just that the plot we were given had no idea what to do with it. For instance, they had a really cool thing going with Pulse and Cocoon and had the former all hyped up as this hellish place, but when you actually go there the party accomplishes absolutely nothing.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

I'm amused people used to consider FFVIII's plot a trainwreck to the point that the Squall is dead and Rinoa is Ultimecia theories had to be created to explain the plot. And yet, nothing can save FFXIII. :toot:

The entire game is a storybook written by Vanille.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

And it shouldn't have to be if you can be assed to remember that magic healing exists and logical enough to extrapolate that conclusion on your own. I would rather have the game developers assume I'm smart enough to draw a simple logical conclusion than have them assume I'm dumb enough to need every minor plot detail explained away because otherwise "OH MY GOD THIS MAKES NO SENSE".

Don't have Squall point out his wound is gone for no reason then. If he can't even think of someone using Cure, we shouldn't have to either.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I'd be more annoyed if they didn't use some of that content. They spend five years making it just to not use it, we should be able to see it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I'm with you, no point in having magic if you aren't stylish before getting it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Would naming it XV even do anything? Everyone already knows what it really is, so it'd just come off as being really lazy.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Sounds like an interesting challenge, but I've never played V. How hard of a game is it, because I might use this as an excuse to get it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

pw pw pw posted:

TBH I wouldn't recommend playing through that way for your first runthrough.

I mean, in my opinion the job system is the only thing FFV has going for it. Would you play through final fantasy tactics with only 4 jobs?

Probably, yeah, but that's because I'm boring. With this challenge I might end up with a team that isn't Fighter, White Mage, Black Mage, Fighter.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

I'd like it more if I didn't think the art style was so hideous.

It also looks like they changed the EBA formula to something worse for no real reason. Why are the prompts on the top screen? It looks like it doesn't matter at all where you actually tap the touch screen, meaning all the fancy paths the cursor goes on are just for show.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

I'm actually disappointed that it makes sense. :sigh:

You've been playing too many RPGs if that made sense to you.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Is the balance in TAY a lot like normal FF4? Because one thing I always found funny is that other than maybe swapping out Rydia for Yang or Porom, the party they give you for the endgame actually is the best possible party you could make from the people in the game. This was kinda fun to realize in FF4A.

I've only played the DS version, but Edge coming out of nowhere as my final party member and being way less useful than Yang or Cid didn't make me think this.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

She was like 2/3 of a meaningful character, with the last third taken by Fang. If they wrote her out of the game and gave almost everything to Vanille, it would've been much better.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

For some reason, you have to give temporary party members Augments in order for them to leave the ones for their special skills. If you see someone that has a skill you like, you'll have to give them useless ones if you want to keep it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I thought it was less of a who and more of a why. Your party had no reason to do any of the things they did.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

gigglefeimer posted:

So can anyone explain to me what's so bad about X-2 reusing art assets from X? Was SE supposed to wait a few years so that the sequel could come out for the PS3 just so the graphics would look better? Is it cool to be a graphics whore these days?

They didn't bother changing anything about the assets at all. They're literally just the same maps and models again, so you end up with things like pregnant Lulu and Seymour's feast being exactly the same that reeks of :effort:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Himuro posted:

Final Fantasy XIII Versus was not cancelled. However, it may look completely different from what we saw last time, and will most definitely be renamed. You guys don't have to believe me at all, but you can chalk this case up as another example of game journalism.txt.

I don't know, I'm fully expecting the game to just never come out. Square's godawful development strategies seem to be catching up to them. It's probably better for everyone to just pretend they canceled it. If they end up releasing it, that could be a fun surprise rather than something we waited over half a decade for.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I played half of VI and just kind of gave up on it. It was an alright game and all, but I just could not get into it. I realize the second half of the game has Celes in a more prominent role, but I don't see how anyone could say Terra is not the main character. If anything, she just shares the role with Celes.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I was outside Otakon today and saw a Quina cosplayer and thought to myself "Hey, it's Iz!" drat it, The White Dragon.

Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture, so I just have Lightning and Afro Cloud.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

No, I would definitely say IX's reveal is closer to VII or VIII's than it is to the games before it, it was just handled better than the latter's.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Mega64 posted:

It's not like the earlier FF games didn't have crazy plot twists as well, either.

The main villain is actually the protagonist's brother! The comic relief clown is actually the main villain! The main villain is actually an evil tree!

I don't really think either of those are on the level of "You are the second artificially made lifeform that was made to take over the world. The people on your original world are souless robots."

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I'm talking about how "deep" they got, not really if it was well written or anything. They're more complicated than Villain = Brother.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

That comes at the very end of the game, though. There isn't time for that to be one of the major themes of IV.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

Is the four heroes of light worth tracking down? It sounds interesting n

It's pretty good, but it does the FFXIII thing of constantly switching parties of two for way too long. I love the battle and job system though, it makes special moves use a limited resource while not falling back on using items to refill it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

Yes but you can turn into a dog! And the hero is like "oh man I love being a dog" when everyone else is all "gently caress this I hate being an animal." But this is probably because they're, like, cats or rabbits or... I can't even remember what the hero's friend is, but I swear it was something funny and embarassing like a toad or a pig.

Plus 4HL is just so goddamn dapper. I mean you can be a Top Hat Black Mage who wears a tux. And the final boss is Baron Samedi

Yeah, I loved that poo poo, running around as a dog owned. I was very annoyed that you got rabbit last though. Also liked taking temporary party members' clothes just to meet them later. Talk about awkward.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

I haven't really done it but FFVII is definitely easy enough for that to be totally doable. I used to like my characters to be defined in different ways but they'd still have overlapping skills - you could easily just make them into classes though. It may be a bit of a cheat but if you give someone Enemy Skill and call them a Red Mage, they have tons of useful skills for both attacking and healing.

Enemy skill would make them a Blue Mage, you could get by just using elemental magic and cures to make Red.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Elentor posted:

Have you played Guild Wars 2? The BRIGHT PINK hair color is labeled "light yellow".

Maybe Lightning is blonde and we don't know.

Pink is just considered blonde in anime land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

TWEWY: Gonna make a guess here and say this is supposed to take place years after the first game and Shiki's selling dolls as a professional. Kind of disappointed it still takes place in Shibuya.