Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Happy Blue Cow posted:

if you wish to submit your own screenshots/paragraphs of informatory text of either spin-offs I haven't covered, or updates to things I already have covered... feel free to just PM me or Let me know in the thread, I'll do my best to keep it up to date.

I'm poor and don't have PM so:

Final Fantasy
The 4 Heroes of Light

Release years by system:
2009 - Nintendo DS

This Fantasy combines the great tastes of hat fetishism and storybooks. Following in the footsteps of the Final Fantasy III and Final Fantasy IV remakes, it was an attempt to create an all-new 8-bit Final Fantasy title for the NDS. 4HoL follows a group of teenagers trying to save the local princess from an evil witch. Much like in the original Final Fantasy, rescuing the princess is just the beginning: A curse befalls their hometown, turning everyone stone, and the four set out across the world to find a cure.

The Job system makes a return, this time in the form of Crowns: By changing a character's adorable hat, they change their job as well. Many traditional FF Jobs do put in an appearance (Red Mages, Dragoons and Summoners are notably absent), but with just enough design changes to make them feel fresh after FFIIIDS.

Stripped of the ATB, extraneous stats, and even the ability to manually select your targets, 4HoL is meant to be as efficient as possible. Even MP and spell charges were dropped so the player doesn't have to worry about rationing their magic through lengthy dungeon treks.

The game was met with mixed reviews. The graphics were praised as charming, while players were less than thrilled with the old school gameplay staples like "walk around and talk to everybody" and limited inventories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

My first was Final Fantasy 1. I got it sometime after Nintendo Power started filling up the Epic Center section with nonstop coverage of FF3/6 but before my birthday rolled around and I could get a shiny new SNES game.

It was pretty neat when I started playing FF6 and the characters were on the same screen as the enemies, but I do remember being disappointed that they still didn't make contact with the enemies when they attacked. (I remember a screenshot in Nintendo Power had Cyan using one of his SwordTechs on the painting boss had led me to believe otherwise)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Countblanc posted:

4 Heroes of Light feels like the strongest "game" though; the combat system is just so far beyond every other turn-based FF game, and the job system is fun.

I would disagree, because as much as I love the battle/Crown system, the dungeons are so terrible it brings the whole thing down.

e: Also you can't really experiment with the Crown system until about halfway through the game.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There's a game from the same team for Japanese cellphones/iOS called Final Fantasy Legends: Warriors of Light and Darkness that's kinda similar, and a sequel-in-all-but-name coming for 3DS called "Bravely Default: Flying Fairy" (yeah wtf). Neither has been announced for international release, and it really bugs me.

Bravely Default doesn't even have a Japanese release date yet, so I wouldn't worry too much about it not being announced for overseas. It does look absolutely wonderful though. Kind of like 4HoL, except with an actual budget:

I'm gonna be pretty disappointed when this doesn't have the AP system, but still look at those designs :allears:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

DoubleDonut posted:

I was replaying FFV the other day and thought to myself, "Gee, I wish there were other games with this amount of (statistical) character customization that I don't already know everything about." So, what are some other games that allow for that kind of customization besides FFV and the Tactics series? All I could think of were Tactics Ogre - which I have already played to death - and FFX-2, which is a bit too wacky/light-hearted for me.

Maybe look into Dragon Quest IX?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

DOC's character designs are abominable, no argument there.

I've seen someone argue that this is perfectly acceptable for a scientist to wear in real life. (They also argued that Gunner Yuna and Thief Rikku wouldn't look out of place at a beach during spring break, because, I guess where ever he lived the girls wore denim sarongs and puffy sleeves to the beach.)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

The fact that everyone kept changing race during the CGI cutscenes always amused me for some reason. It's just a really jarring change.

I tend to think of Shuyin's design as an apology for Tidus'

It's the same basic design, but without looking quite as ridiculous.
Why wasn't it in Dissidia :qq:

It's cool how his shorts are held together by a harness.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Pirate Vaan Best Vaan.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Even better is that Amano has artwork for the Thin White Duke himself.

:allears:

These were illustrations for Bowie x Iman fanfiction written by Neil Gaiman. Iman is a queen that kills all her suitors and the Thin White Duke was immortal vampire with a death wish.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

^^^
[e]: And most of those scenes are the villains talking utter tripe.

Didn't it never get released or something? Aside from the artwork? Or am I thinking of something else?

I think the magazine only ran the first chapter or something.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

pw pw pw posted:

His character designs are just 'blonde gackt', or sometimes just 'gackt'.

If you looked at a naked tidus next to a naked vaan, you would have absolutely no way of knowing which was which.

To be fair though, if you stood a naked NES Fighter sprite next to a naked NES Frionel sprite you wouldn't be able to tell the difference either. Or a PS/GBA/PSP/iOS Knight next to Paladin Cecil, and the only thing differentiating Bartz from these archetypes is his hair color.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly don't get the complaining over Vaan's design when Ashe exists. I mean loving seriously.

Look at that disaster.

I can't even begin to describe her clothing situation and how awful it is. I mean it's a terrible clothing design to begin with and then meshing that with her character and... argh. I hate Ashe's loving design so much.

My favorite detail is the black... thing around her waist. Well, that and the two three-inch pieces of leather that she considers a skirt.

If we're gonna talk about embarrassing stuff from FFXII, can we talk about the Elves? Because look at this bullshit:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Speaking of The Judges, what do people think of their designs?

Like everything else in XII, I thought the villains were the best and their outfits are no exceptions.

I think the Judges looked neat, but there really needed to be a codex or encyclopedia or something so I could figure out how to tell them all apart.

glod posted:

The judges are really badass and I was overjoyed when Dissidia came out and Gabranth was in it. Best character.

I was happy with 012 because he has a Basch costume :v:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

Holy christ! What is wrong with her body!? Look at that waist!

Oh well, I suppose it works inga-

:wth: ARRH!

Looks like someone's never heard of Ioana Spangenberg.

...but even she has a rib cage.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

My favorite FFXII character design is that one pirate girl who wears a thong on the outside of her shorts.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

AC was neat looking but I didn't really understand what all that singing and dancing was about during Tifa's fight at the church. Like, why does Tifa keep changing clothes and why are the Turks there?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Well you know first impressions and all that. The last Square game where they threw in time travel for absolutely no reason was FFVIII.

(It was actually 4 Heroes of Light, but that should not change how you feel)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Momomo posted:

I think it's mostly the way they didn't even pretend you weren't just walking in a straight line, combined with the way the battle system appears to do everything for you early on. The illusion of choice really goes a long way in these kinds of games, and this one was just brutally honest.

But don't you see, you the player are being put in the same situation as the heroes! You have no choices, no options, no freedom, only the gentle currents of fate dragging you forward until you achieve your goal. Truly FFXIII is a triumph of combining narrative and gameplay.

Someone, somewhere, legitimately believes this and has written a thirty page essay about it.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 22, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Krad posted:

Oh yeah? Then how do you explain Aeris, smart guy? :colbert:

That was a weapon attack, not a magic attack. :owned:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

The problem I had was theres this weird synchronization with what's going on. Because of the non-linearity the character's personal quests are all so self contained, and once they're over the characters become mute (outside of the generic dialouge thats assigned based on party slots). It just makes everything feel so disconnected from the actual events going on in the world, and in a way makes their quests feel meaningless because they will never again come up until the ending credits.

FF6 suffered a bit from having too many characters. The early characters get like Terra, Locke, Celes, Edgar and Sabin are really deep and great.
Characters like Mog and Cyan...eh.

Did you just imply that the playable moogle isn't the greatest character in FF6.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Tempo 119 posted:

Ideas are cheap, it's everything else that takes time to develop. They reused the game engine and a shitload of art assets.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with reusing a game engine.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Decided to start a new FFXII run. I kinda wish I was playing IZJS (if I were I'd have all the Gambit by now and actually have a reason to open chests :v:), but oh well.

Vaan is stealing everything. I even managed to get one of them fancy Astrological Sigh Gems off the Flan boss. The only trouble I've run into is trying to keep Guest!Basch alive when he is just intent on suiciding against anything he sees. Well, that and trying to score a Kotetsu off a Werewolf, but more and more that's looking like a waste of time.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVX0OUO9ptU

Oh Square, you are still gods of visual design.

And yet at the same time:

e: VV I hope they make it into a real game and it comes out before Versus XIII.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Looks like? I'm pretty sure those flag emblems are in an actual RPGMaker.

Someone from NeoGAF made this:

The original game didn't look great, you could clearly tell it was cobbled together from resources they already had, but at least they understood that a large part of the charm comes from the 16-bit graphics:

Bongo Bill posted:

Ugly as that is, I want it. Do we have a release date?

July for iOS, TBD for Android.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Looks nice, shame that being able to make pretty FMVs doesn't translate in to making good games; especially in the case of Square.

My understanding is that this isn't FMV, it's real time.
e: Not that that changes much, it's just that we're supposed to ooh and aah about how actual gameplay could be this pretty.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 7, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

FFXII Replay Trip Report:
Made it to Raithwall's Tomb. I'm trying to run characters I didn't bother with in my first playthrough, so Penelo's my main and rocking Maces, Staves and Magic (Dark is super useful because it's the only multi-target attack magic I have). I was using Gunner Fran for a long time, but she's... she's not a very good character. Guns aren't so hot either.

It feels like magic would be a lot more useful as a whole if it were easier to regen MP. Allies are basically worthless as casters because they don't move around enough to keep them from burning through their MP. Too bad there's no "Self MP < 30% : Don't Stop Moving" gambit setup.

...apparently you can speed combat up? I, um, don't think I knew that. At least now I won't have to wait forever to pre-buff the party before boss fights. :v:

I didn't remember the Nam-Yensa Sandsea at all. It's kind of a nice change of pace from the Ogir-Yensa Copy Paste Sea. It's amazing what a little bit of greenery will do for an environment.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Epi Lepi posted:

How long does this Job Fiesta thing last? I wanna know when I should bother to follow the thread again cause I couldn't care less about this thing.

Discussion will probably die down within a week if it doesn't get its own thread.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I signed up for the Fiesta and got Thief. Do I have to tweet #wind when I get to the Wind Crystal or...?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Stealing isn't very fun in the early game. Like, cool, I spent eight rounds of combat trying to steal something, only to be rewarded with a shiny new potion for my efforts. Way to go game~

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

When you need 70+ potions for Garula, you'll be glad you didn't have to buy them.

Only needed 15 potions :smug:

I used the "Farm Mythril Knives + Elven Mantle on front row + everyone else in the back" tactic someone mentioned earlier.

quote:

@turnipfritters can now use the Water Job 'Mystic Knight'. Time to buy lots of magic!

:toot:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Escaped from a fully looted Karnak Castle with 13 seconds to spare and unlocked Geomancer. That's certainly less than ideal, but at least now I can finally hit more than one enemy.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Cool new feature: Sometimes when you load up a save through Cloud, you'll have an entirely different party with much better equipment, materia and stats. All of Tifa's lines will be replaced with the beginning of a half-hearted error message.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Apparently they decided I suck at this game so I was blessed with both Mystic Knight and Samurai. The only real trouble I've had so far was the Soul Cannon, but it was nothing a few levels, an Angel Ring and copious amounts of HiPotions from back here couldn't take care of.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The cool thing about rolling Samurai is that when a problem arises you can just throw money at it until it diesgoes away.

Trasson posted:

Nailed the bastard!

I had to try out a few different configurations in order to finally find one that worked. Really, though, it came down to luck: luck on who got aimed at, on both sides, and luck that Grand Cross didn't end my run.

In the end, here are the changes I made from my earlier picture:
Lenna got the Crystal Armor because I'm dumb and didn't buy a fourth Dark Suit. I handed the Dark Suit to Faris so she'd have that little bit more Agility. Lenna also switched from the Rune Axe setup to the Excalibur with shield. I didn't lose a whole lot of damage, and being able to dodge nearly half the Vaccuum Waves headed her way saved me trouble. Finally, Cara was dropped into the back row: her main goal was to trigger Earth Shaker as much as possible, so she didn't need to be in front. Letting her be in back let her eat a physical every now and then, and it extended the Magic Lamp's Earth Wall.

I'll have the full World 3 writeup at some point soon, as well as my full thoughts on the run.

Well I'll be. Congratulations, you twisted masochist you.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I'm trying to decide if I really want Holy and Flare or not. I'm not even sure how I'd have to go about fighting Omniscient with Thief/Mystic Knight/Geomancer/Samurai. Like... !Gaia and hope for the best? Constant Dark Lamp deployment? Wait until he runs out of MP and then use physical attacks?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Oh, he can be silenced? I guess that makes my choice a whole lot easier.

e: Yep, Silence Spellsword worked like a charm. Thanks y'all.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I just barely eaked out a win against Twintania. Like, Faris survived with ~215 HP and everyone else was dead. Sometimes you can do amazing things when you just go for broke. And have Holy Spellsword. And an Enhancer. And Hermes Sandals. And an Aegis Shield.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

This is the first time I've ever beat FFV.
Thoughts: Thief ended up being surprisingly useful. Being able to stock up on HiPotions and Elixirs back in World 1 helped compensate for my lack of healing abilities, and having !Flee was a godsend in the final dungeon. On the other hand, stealing stopped being particularly useful for my team after World 1 (I guess there were the Twin Lances in World 2 but aside from that...). Artful Dodger was nice to have until I got the Masamune/Hermes Sandals.

Mystic Knights are good. Spell Blade is good. That long stretch in the later part of the game where they don't have any good weapons (like, until you get an Enhancer or full power Chicken Knife) is kind of a drag.

Geomancer was lopsided. Either the Diamond Bell was outdamaging both my Samurai and my Mystic Knight's regular attacks or it was doing piddly damage. !Gaia tended to be more useful than not given my team. It wasn't nearly as awesome as having normal magic would have been, but it was better than nothing. Where Geomancers really shined was the innate "Avoid damage floors/pits/etc" abilities. Not taking damage from lava or constantly falling into holes made things a whole lot easier for me (and my potion supply).

Samurai was consistently great at everything and nothing more needs to be said about it.

Other thoughts:
Man there are way too many scenes in this game where you have to sit around and wait for something to happen.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

I'm getting close to the end, but Azulmagia is giving me some serious trouble.

Wear Reflect Rings and throw money at it.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Not an Owl posted:

How do you register a win? I beat the game and tweeted #victory along with an imgur picture for proof, but it's not confirming that I beat the game yet.

Last night he tweeted that he's got a backlog of #victory tweets to process, so maybe just wait a while? I dunno, mine hasn't been registered either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Bellmaker posted:

In FFV does the Chicken Knife increase in power if you run after acquiring it?

Also, was 4 Heroes of Light any good? It looked like it had the job system, but it looked pretty silly-looking/childish. How's the difficulty?

It is a silly little game. It tries to capture the tone and stylings of NES RPGs, for better or worse.

One of the biggest issues I have with the game is that for the first half of the game you have a revolving door of party members, so you can't really experiment with the job system. "Luckily" the second half of the game is nice enough to send you back through 90% of the dungeons from the first half of the game so you can experience them with a full party. :v:

The difficulty curve is spastic. You either have the right class at the right level with the right skill (this is almost always Elementalist with Mysterio), or you get your face beaten in.

I like the look of the game, I like the class redesigns, I like the monster designs. I like the gameplay system (the AP system makes it so your Black Mage can constantly cast spells instead of having to watch their MP). I hate the dungeons because they're really, really boring and there's like two dungeons songs in the entire game. I hate how obtuse the game is. I hate that you can't buy gems anywhere.