Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It's DS 3D. You know what you're getting from the moment you step in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

OatmealRaisin posted:

Nomura was at his best in the PS1 era when technology limitations stopped him from adding details upon details to his characters. Also, according to rumor he has a weird sense of humor. I've heard that the fur lining on Squall's jacket in particular was added just to make the CG team's life hell.

You see Lulu's beltskirt? He wanted to see how the CG team would handle that, that's why they did it.

They 'handled' it by never showing Lulu from the waist-down in CGs. And in one CG where the entire group pretty much needs to have their entire bodies shown, Lulu is mysteriously absent.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Mazed posted:

Of course...not sure that Yuffie and Cait Sith qualify as any good, by those standards, but I suppose they can't all be gems. :v:

Yuffie's communicates that she's a teenage brat pretty well.

Now, a Ninja teenage brat, less so.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The sad part is that Somnus is still the most solid thing we have of XIII-2.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Krad posted:

I thought the game showed not-Ramza's dad as a bum or someone who didn't have a real job or something like that during the ending.

Marche really didn't have any good arguments for returning to the real world other than being a total jerk to everyone, did he?

The sad part is that it wouldn't have taken much time to find some actual good arguments, but he just went 'No, SHUT UP! We're going home!'

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Sounds interesting. Couldn't hurt to try it out I guess.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

All the translations of IV have kept in the Spoony bard line. It's V that had the really bad translation, even by the usual standards of the time.

I can't help but love the really goofy lines in this series - it'd be a shame if they ever got rid of them in any future remakes/ports etc.

[e]: Beaten by a mile.

The GBA translation of FFV really is fantastic.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

FF7 was my first, FF9 is my favourite, FF5 is the one I think has the best gameplay.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

bef posted:

Is final fantasy tactics advance any good? I've heard good (and difficult) things about the one on the playstation but I was wondering if the gba version holds up as well.

Neither of the stories for the 2 FFTA games are worth much, but FFTA2 has pretty good sRPG gameplay, and both are markedly different from FFT.

General consensus is that FFT is the best of the lot, although personally I preferred FFTA2 to it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

So, the FFXIII-2 Ultimania book has been released.

Guess what's inside?

http://www.novacrystallis.com/?p=3027

quote:

The Final Fantasy XIII-2 Ultimania Omega has made it out into the wild, and with that comes the usual bits of information contained within.

In addition to a collection of artworks from the game, including rough character sketches of Lightning, Hope, Serah and Caius by Tetsuya Nomura, the guide also features a brief interview with staff members Yoshinori Kitase and Motomu Toriyama.

The most interesting bits come from questions regarding the recent Lightning episode DLC, which includes perhaps a bit of insight into Toriyama’s next project. “Like Lightning advancing one step forward in the secret event, I think we want to take a step forward to advance our own project. From now on, I’d be happy if you could anticipate it.”

Does this mean Final Fantasy XIII-3 is truly in the works? Toriyama did recently mention he would be working on a new project soon after XIII-2′s completion… and with XIII-2 not exactly “concluded” I suppose we’ll find out in due time.

Another bit from the guide translated by Gematsu reads:

Kitase: (The last part about Lightning’s DLC Episode) Explaining “XXX Years Later” would be pointless. It might seem that the line “To Be Continued…” means that Lightning’s chapter will continue in more download content, but we are doing it in a different interpretation.

Toriyama: With Lightning remaining in the 〇〇〇〇ル (crystal?) but still keeping her heart, you could say that the world of Final Fantasy XIII will be permanently 〇〇ed. I’m praying for the day to come that Lightning will surely 〇〇めて (wake up?) and Serah will be rewarded.

Oh, SE.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

This Jacket Is Me posted:

I kinda don't think this. There were tons of jRPGs both before and after FF7, and tons are loads of jRPGs before and after FF9. I don't think FF7 had a noticeable effect on the popularity of the genre. Perhaps there seems like less on the flagship systems, but that's only because there's many on handhelds.

Popularity as in 'mainstream attention in the West', maybe.

Pokemon probably helped with that too.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

FF4DS: Remember that almost every boss in the game is vulnerable to Slow. Spam that spell.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

gigglefeimer posted:

It's funny how, with minor game-specific changes, this paragraph could apply to every FF.

I'm pretty sure very few of the posters here actually think Final Fantasy 'addresses important issues' in any way that does not make them want to roll their eyeballs out of their head.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

You guys are just wimps.

Don't tell me you did wimp stuff like equipping armour too. :colbert:

(But seriously, only Garuda and Cloud of Darkness were actual difficult fights. The rest were pretty standard for any jRPG.)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Moldy Taxes posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Versus XIII was rebranded as XV.

A public admission that they are such complete poo poo at making a game that they had to substitute a completely different game in place of the next of the series? I don't think that's a very good idea.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Harvs posted:

I knew FF9 was essentially a love song to all the earlier final fantasys but i never made the connection of Zidane and Terras trance forms essentially being the same thing, makes me wonder what other references i have missed. Is there a list of them anywhere?

Ten seconds in Google gets us:

Final Fantasy IX Reference List (GameFAQS)

Final Fantasy IX Allusions (Final Fantasy Wiki)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Mazed posted:

There's also the one about Gilgamesh being the exact same character in each game he shows up in, but I wouldn't be surprised if this has been confirmed as fact.

It's a fact.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Also has the most :black101: character death in the series. That too.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Mazed posted:

What, by you, makes Kuja so good?

Not that I would disagree offhand, as I thought he was alright. Mind, the entire time I played I imagined his character as being delivered by David Bowie, which really just brings it all together beautifully.

Well, to put it simply, I'd say that he's the only FF villain (from the mainline series, anyway) that continues to develop as a character throughout the course of the game. All other FF villains have their motivations/character set in stone by the time you first see them.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I'm actually slightly amused at thinking how the hell it's supposed to work on iOS. The d-pad part would be a awful, as usual.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

KH 3D underperformed in Japan, as I recall.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

Worked well for TWEWY.

TWEWY outfits don't change though. They're essentially jRPG armour.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Of course Ashe didn't have a love interest either. The only "romance' she had was memories of a guy who died years before the game started.

Her "love interest" was her homeland and the story was a tale of restoring it. Fist by any means necessary and then through more heroic measures after character growth.

She was very mature and respectable, even when she started off. She didn't go around punching people for no reason like a child.

Uh. She was led around by the nose based on the memory of her love interest for a good majority of the game.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

To add to this, XIII has been the most divisive one in the series critically. And that's impressive in a series where every game tends to divide people. To the point that even the CEO of SE and the developers acknowledged it.

Well, be fair. FFXIII is 'divisive'. FFXIV is flat-out despised.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Krad posted:

I named the MC in DQ8 Goku because, well, you can tell why. :downs:

Speaking of bad character designers, I like Nomura's monsters a lot, but his characters leave a lot to be desired. A lot.

Yeah well you done goofed, buddy. DQ8's MC is Gohan.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Momomo posted:

Yeah, but it wasn't. I've only read lps of both, but Chrono Cross didn't have people sitting in chairs narrating for half the game.

Yeah, they compressed half the game's narration into ten minutes instead.

Both are severely flawed games, but I have to say I like Xenogears more because A) giant robots, B) a more interesting battle system, and C) the characters have, well, character.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I agree with Mister Roberto. It was the only musically disappointing game in the series to me. Most of the songs were very bland. (Much like the characters, story, and gameplay)

Uh, his handle is Mister Roboto.

Also FFIX's music rocks.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

You're seriously using Zidane's Theme as an argument? That is the catchiest poo poo ever.

Also how could anyone not remember Freya's Theme.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

quote:

4 - Pokemon Red/Blue

What? That game is an unpolished, glitch-ridden mess.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Barudak posted:

Doesn't it split the critical distinction text onto two different lines? So if you're just slamming X trying to skip dialog asap it'll seem like its telling you to attack while the tail is up because you gloss over the second text box?

'Attack while the tail's up!'
'It's gonna use it's Laser!'

Which made it sound like it was some kind of race against the clock and you had to pile on as much damage as possible to stop it using the Laser.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The Dark Knight helmet in FFIVDS looked stupid so I was glad to be rid of it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The Moon doesn't really have a dungeon (the first time around anyway), but you're two (big) dungeons away from the end now.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Miracon posted:

FF3 is the one with the ridiculous marathon final dungeon with no save point.

The most fun I've had in RPGing in a long while.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I hear in Japanese his name 'The Darkness of Eternity' so I guess he's more of a conceptual thing like Death itself or whatever.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Ross posted:

The AUTARCH OF FLAME :tipshat:

I remember being deathly afraid of this fight as an 11 year-old after a friend told me that he refills your HP and MP before he fights you.

Hit him with Fire and see how he repays the favour.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

If you don't like the battle system you're not going to like 'the good part'.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Toshimo posted:

FF4DS: Should I give any fucks about min/maxing augments or should I lobotomize myself and play like they don't matter?

Give Augments you don't want to characters that you know will leave the party. That aside, who gets what Augment is usually pretty clearcut.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Eiko and Quina are characters that exist in FF9.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I might have confused it for the other series where Balor asking me my opinion on moon rabbits pounding mochi is an integral part of the gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Nier is good with hitting you with emotional gutpunches. However if you try to actually analyze the story you soon realize that very little of it makes any logical sense.