Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
My first Final Fantasy was 6. Yeah, it's my favourite. Yeah, I think it's the best game in the franchise (most of the time) but I have taken lots of time to think about each game's merits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

The plot of FFXIII was a mess but behind all the chaos was potential for a tense story about despair- a theme that got lost in the second half of the story.

TurnipFritter posted:

I think the Judges looked neat, but there really needed to be a codex or encyclopedia or something so I could figure out how to tell them all apart.
This is one of few problems I had with FFXII's storytelling- all the judge drama was confusing to anyone that hadn't remember names and voices and armor designs.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

I wish Square-Enix would try for more humour like Crazy Chocobo. One of my biggest criticisms of the Final Fantasy series since FF10 is the lack of good comedy. The games take themselves too seriously and when they do try for humour, it's usually very lame and kiddyish. But Crazy Chocobo was just so over the top it easily one of the biggest risks SE took with that game.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

On FFTA's morality, I'll argue that Marche was justified in wanting to destroy Ivalice. Who knows what happened to all those St. Ivalice citizens when the town was put under an enchantment that transformed Marche's world. I haven't played the game in awhile but I'm guessing many people were transformed and brainwashed to create the new Ivalice world. It's not fair that a number of people have to have their existences rewritten just so some young boy can get his mother back.

Although flawed, I found the plot of FFTA a lot more interesting than most other Final Fantasy games.

Edit: I recently finished the original Final Fantasy Tactics. It still blows me away how great the game is while suffering from crazy balance issues. It's a miracle how tight the battle formulas are compared to how sporadic the difficulty is.

Eggie fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 29, 2012

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

Also, getting rid of charge times removes a HUGE amount of the actual "strategy" of a strategy RPG. Also, by portioning out abilities via available equipment instead of on a JP basis, you restrict the players ability to break the game (which is really half the fun).

Do any other Tactical RPGs besides FFT use charge times? Tactics Ogre didn't use charge times and I consider it to be a more tactical experience than FFT. The problem is with FFTA they took out charge times and put in a law system to compensate for the lack of strategy, except charge times make for a great strategic battle mechanic and the law system is brutal pain in the butt.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

I'm not a huge FF5 fan (I think it's one of the worst of the early FF games) but it's still a great game and I regged for easy mode. This is going to be great! :holy:

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Is there an IRC channel for the Fiesta? It'd be great to have a chatroom where competitors can rapidly swap advice.

I have a feeling I'll be needing advice a lot.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

Decided to start a new FFXII run. I kinda wish I was playing IZJS (if I were I'd have all the Gambit by now and actually have a reason to open chests :v:), but oh well.

Vaan is stealing everything. I even managed to get one of them fancy Astrological Sigh Gems off the Flan boss. The only trouble I've run into is trying to keep Guest!Basch alive when he is just intent on suiciding against anything he sees. Well, that and trying to score a Kotetsu off a Werewolf, but more and more that's looking like a waste of time.

I think one or two years ago, I did a "power playthrough" of FFXII. The idea of this power playthrough is to level up Vaan early and reap awesome equipment. One of the steps in this power playthrough is to farm Werewolves for Kotetsus, and if I remember correctly, you kill the two Werewolves, walk to screens east (without touching the save point), return and kill them again. Eventually your chain level will increase and the chances of them dropping Kotetsus will increase too.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

I didn't enjoy the "plot" of FF13-2, but I enjoyed the "story". Caius was hardly an interesting villain but I liked travelling across time and fixing paradox problems with two likeable heroes (and Mog). It reminded me of FFTA2 where I didn't care to play the story, but I liked adventuring in the game's world and that counts for something.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

I finally finished my FF5 Fiesta and it was not easy. Okay, my classes were Blue Mage/Time Mage/Samurai/Ninja (which is a pretty easy combo), but FF5 is such a chore to me. The story's stupid, none of the battles are very interesting, and the level design is mostly bland.

Buuuuuuut chances are I'll be doing the Fiesta again next year. v:shobon:v

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Tempo 119 posted:

I followed the X-2 strategy guide and lost the 100% for skipping a cutscene. It's in the same pile as IX for me - great FF games that I never want to see or play again as long as I live.

Yeah, that 100% is bloody insane. It was such a stupid move even for Square-Enix.

I haven't played FFX-2 in years but one thing cool about the game was how the whole world was open to you from the start with enemies growing stronger as the plot progresses. Not a lot of games do that but it's a refreshing idea.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

Vaan is the odd man out as he has zero reason whatsoever to be important to the party, and it shows.

Vaan is FFXII's hero from a marketing standpoint only. It's been said before but the true hero of FFXII is Ashe and Vaan only served as a marketing tool, which I don't mind because the game starting with Vaan's perspective gave a very saddened yet ambitious tone for the story that worked very well. Honestly, I like Vaan as a character. Now as the plot moves along Vaan doesn't do much but he and Penelo talk and their characters grow a bit so it's not like they completely vanish from the story- they still have presence.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Ross posted:

I thought it was Basch (the "older" knight-guy) who was originally supposed to be the lead character in the story, then they added Vaan for marketing purposes?

Basch was meant to be the main character, yes. He would have made a better "main character" than Vaan. Vaan was added because the last time Matsuno (the original co-director of FFXII) made a game with an older protagonist (Vagrant Story) it bombed. Of course, this is silly because Final Fantasy is one of the biggest franchises in video games and Square-Enix could make a Final Fantasy with a drunken walrus as the main character and it would sell like hot cakes.

quote:

FFIX talk

The more I talk about FFIX, the more I like it even if it's a little flawed. I understand what people say when it has charm.

I might have complained about this before, but I didn't like how ATEs didn't show up as much in the later discs. Steiner and Freya could have used them since they sort of fall off the map later on in the story and you don't know how they're feeling in relates to the plot. Plus, the ATE's were just generally entertaining and charming. Square-Enix should bring them back.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

In the original Final Fantasy, do party positions matter? I have a Black Mage in the front party slot and I'm wondering if more blows will go his way because of it.

quote:

You mean as a perceived 'bad game'? X-2, though most people here would agree that x-2 is the tits, it just has a retarded story. Or maybe FFIII DS, that's a pretty horrible game

I like FFX-2 for several reasons and dislike it for several reasons. Yeah, the story and writing of the game is pitiful, but there's a lot to like about it and it tried some very interesting things like having the world completely open from the start and using mission-based gameplay. Paine was a cool character if you could unlock the missions to detail her story. I loved the class system. I loved the equipment system.

Sometime in the future I'll rebuy the game and see how long I last before it frustrates the hell out of me.

Eggie fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 29, 2012

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Bear Sleuth posted:

Yes! I hope you are playing one of the remakes because what are you even doing?! It works like this: first rank is targeted 50% of the time, second 25% of the time, and the back two spots are targeted 12.5% each. Rotating the heroes through the top rank is a more effective method of mitigating damage than healing or spending thousands of gold on armor. It is the number one secret trick to successful and non-grindy approach to the game.

Unless you're playing on the GBA or PSP then whatever man, the game's not going to provide a challenge anyway.

I'm playing the original NES version. The GBA version is too easy and I don't own the PSX or PSP version.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

I'm playing through FFXII right now and I like the different weapon mechanics. Since Vaan is sort of good at both magic and strength, I gave him a katana (uses magic and strength in its damage formula) and put on a magic hat with some heavy armor. Works pretty well but drat is that game a grind.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Taking a Black Belt as one of my Light Warriors might have been a mistake. She can't take a lot of damage and she doesn't do a lot of damage. I'm considering restarting but how good are Thieves and Red Mages?

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

For what it's worth I was merely ambivilant to FFXIII but hated FFXIII-2's story. The difference being that I played XIII in Japanaese and FFXIII-2 in English. Either FFXIII-2 was phenomenally more poorly written or the translation was worse. (Or both!)

I'm almost tempted to play FFXIII-2 in Japanese because it's probably trivial to get a cheap copy, but I really didn't like the game enough to pay for that.

I liked the story of FFXIII-2 until it became an actual story. When Serah and Noel are jumping around time fixing problems, that's all cool and fun. But then Caius shows up and he's all "I'm going to reset time!" or whatever and there's that Yumi character and I just don't care. There were some good moments in the Caius/Noel plot but if the story was mostly wandering around for 90% of the game and the villain being introduced only towards the end like a lot of the earlier Final Fantasies, I would have been cool with that.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

I beat Final Fantasy yesterday and didn't have too much trouble with the final dungeon. I had my White Wizard and Black Wizard use Heal'ing items each turn so I could save on healing spells.

The bosses in that game were pretty quick, but I understand why. Most of the challenge is making it to the boss with limited spell numbers. When you get to the boss, you spam what's left of your magic and hope to get in turns before the enemy.

Chaos was pretty easy- killed him in four turns. It was a pretty fun game!

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

You know how I can tell you didn't have a Black Belt/Master is because you took four turns instead of one.

Um, well... I did have a Master. He was at level 29.

Did I do something wrong? :ohdear:

Also, a few pages back one goon was talking about a new Final Fantasy VI hack. Does anyone know what that hack is?

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Momomo posted:

Poor Freya. She could've been like, the coolest character in the game, but they ended up doing absolutely nothing with her. Instead that title goes to I dunno, Beatrix I guess.

Steiner and Freya are my two favourite FFIX characters and probably Final Fantasy in general, but I couldn't say they're great characters. Both of them fall off the radar later on in the game. Steiner has some conclusion to his character arc. Freya has almost none. She spends the first two discs having a whole bunch of poo poo dropped on her. They could have made her vengeful or even insane. Having a cackling, laughing mad hero would have been very interesting.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Final Fantasy II is a bad game but it does give you the option of plowing through the game by turning all your foes into toads. How is that not awesome? I can't remember if you could do it to any bosses but the game's so broken I wouldn't be surprised.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

quote:

Star Ocean 3

When I was younger, about 16 or 17, this game was the poo poo. I slowly came to terms with its flaws, but for awhile I thought they were worth putting up with for a good game experience. Then one day I got fed up. Mostly every element in this game feels unpolished and clumsy. The combat can be fun, but most characters are awkward to control and slow. The actual combat is, as I said, clumsy. The game has the worst map completion quest I've ever played (its optional so it's not a huge deal, it's very easy to screw up forever though).

The game is supposedly a sci-fi RPG but for over half the game's plot, the characters are stuck on a generic medieval planet (and I do mean generic!). Now the story is stupid but it's engaging for a little while. The story opens great with Fayt fleeing from an alien invasion and getting trapped on a underdeveloped planet. That little chapter is nice. However, Fayt flees to another underdeveloped planet and the story gets dull. It's not up until Fayt finds out the Vendeeni are after him personally that the plot picks up again. Shortly after that the Vendeeni try to attack the planet but get stopped by an off-the-charts energy beam with an unknown origin. The plot is tense again! You soon find out that all around the universe, eldritch creatures are consuming planets and ending civilizations. This might just be me, but when I got to the moonbase, the difficulty spiked. Those angel-ladies were tough, and the difficulty only gets harsher when you get to Planet Styx, perfectly matching the tension of the story's situation. Then, you break through into 4D space, find out the universe is a video game and the game loses all tension. From there on out, the story is not only stupid but unengaging. At least Blair was cool. And the final dungeon looked nice. And I remember lots of trigger problems. Even on my second and third playthroughs I had difficulty talking to that one NPC that forwarded the plot.

I haven't played it in awhile, but I know I'll try it again sometime in the future because there's still some appeal for me. I really like the music too and I'm one of those people that has to play a game to fully enjoy its soundtrack. I can't wait. :geno:

Also, I snagged 4 Heroes Of Light today. I'll get to it after playing through Final Fantasy III DS.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Man, you guys weren't kidding about the party splits of 4 Heroes Of Light. These kids just look for excuses. It's bad enough that Jusqua has to single-handedly fight a hard boss when Yunita is within arms reach feeling sorry for herself, but directly after that she joins Jusqua's party. And then Jusqua splits off from her again to protect his honour or some nonsense. I'm enjoying the game, but I'm at the part where Brandt fell off the tree and it's a little frustrating.

quote:

Gigas Corridor

The first time I played through Final Fantasy, I got stuck in the Gigas Corridor and got so frustrated I quit. I avoided the game for years because of the memory of that place haunted me.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Even a FF4 veteran like me was caught off guard by the difficulty of the DS version. It is a whole new game.

Momomo posted:

The only things I can think of that the DS did wrong were having to waste Augments to get characters' abilities and the music, it was pretty bad.

Criticism for the augment system I can agree with. There's just no way for someone to figure out how to use the augment system effectively (giving augments to temporary party members) without a guide. There's also the problem of finding all the augments when some are hidden in strange places. I disagree with the music point, though. I thought the updated music was excellent. The original FF4 soundtrack sounds very metallic and echo-y. The remade FF4 soundtrack for the DS fleshes out each song considerably while maintaining the feel of the original song (although the DS speakers aren't great for listening).

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Okay, so I just finished FF3 for the DS and although I prefer the NES version and think the NES version is a better game, there are a few things about the DS version I like. First is the overall usefulness of the jobs. If I took the time to change classes and level them up a bit, jobs like the Scholar and Ranger were surprisingly effective. I also like how they didn't make the Ninja and Sage jobs the ultimate classes- the player has reason to use Knights and Devouts and Black Belts. That job sickness mechanic is a nuisance as it has been said before. And they made sure the final dungeon was just as painful as ever. The first time I played FF3ds back in 2006 or 2007, I got to the World Of Darkness, died, and didn't pick the game back up for years!

Secondly, the update to the music is near perfect. Now it's taken me three playthroughs of FF3 (and a watch-through of an FF3 Let's Play), but I love FF3's soundtrack- both the NES version and the DS remake. There aren't many tracks that don't leave an impression on me. The DS version fleshed out the soundtrack a great deal while keeping the tone of most songs. I especially liked "Doga and Une", "Town Of Amur", and "Invincible".

I don't think I'd play the DS version again, but I did enjoy my time with it. I really like FF3. It might be one of my favourite Final Fantasy games and that's kind of cool because it comes from an era of video games without the conveniences I've gotten used to in modern titles and it's a game I tried rather late in my gaming career.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Their kickstarter's going to get shut down before it begins. At least one of the people/IPs referenced in it will result in a C&D I'm sure. :sigh:

We all know who's going to send out the first C&D-- The B-Ball Removal Department.

Also, I'm playing FF7 right now and holy god I remember why I love this game. It draws you in so well.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

You want to level each character (except maybe Kimhari) up. Each has their own specialty. As long as they contribute to a battle they'll gain experience and you can swap in and out easily.

Kimahri has a mandatory battle late in the game but if I remember correctly the enemies' strength are scaled to Kimahri's level.

1st AD posted:

Are there any plans to do a remake of FF6? That is by far my favorite game in the series and I would love to see it given the same treatment as FF4 on the DS.

Sadly, Square-Enix seems to ignore FF6 and they don't seem interested in doing a remake of any kind.

But what's the point of doing a remake when the original game is pretty much perfect? :smugbert:

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Some Final Fantasy news:

Free-to-Play Final Fantasy Airborne Brigade Landing in North America

mtv.com posted:

Square Enix and DeNa announced today that Final Fantasy Airbone Brigade, a free-to-play social game, is coming to North American Android and iOS devices, though no release date has been set.

This is far from Square’s first foray into mobile gaming – that distinction belongs to Final Fantasy IV: The After Years, an episodic sequel to Final Fantasy IV from 2008 – but it is the company’s first free-to-play offering associated with its trademark franchise.

In Airborne Brigade, players each captain their own airships, and they’ll need to squad up with others to complete missions, find items, level up, and fight bosses.

Registering at the game’s official site will net you an e-mail announcement when the game goes live, as well as a bonus character card that will allow you summon Cloud, Final Fantasy VII’s moody amnesiac hero, to help you in tough battles.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Hey guys, totally random change-of-topic, but I've been playing through Jeff Ludwig's rebalance of FFI Dawn of Souls.

It's a ton of fun and changes the face of the game. The difficulty curve is much closer to the original (without all of the punishing bugs and pain-in-the-rear end interface). In fact, I'd say the whole mod is a love letter to the feeling of playing the original game.

This sounds like something I've been looking for. The next time I want to check out the original Final Fantasy I'll give it a shot since the interface and bugs of Final Fantasy is what bugged me the most.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

The thing is linearity isn't a bad thing.

FFX pulled off a linear adventure pretty well.

I wholeheartedly agree. The way I see it, FFX is how you do linearity pretty well. Its linearity fit the story.

FFXIII was pretty good with its linearity but it got carried away. There's that part in a temple-like dungeon where the heroes have to solve a puzzle to pass through and the mission markers on the map tell you exactly how to do the puzzle instead of letting the player figure out (I haven't played this one in awhile so my memory might be fuzzy).

If we're going to talk about linearity in Final Fantasy games, FF4 should be brought up since it was very linear. There isn't a whole lot of optional content until you get your airship in the underworld. And it's not like the player can access certain plot events before others, because unless I'm misremembering, you can't- ever. Even when you first get your airship in the overworld, there's not much you can do except progress the story (there's some new towns that have some treasure and the ruined Elban castle). FF4 isn't criticized for its linearity and I think it's because there's a lot of leg room for the player. There are dungeons with rooms full of treasure. Later on in the game there are a few sidequests with whole dungeons to explore. Little things like that help a linear game feel less constraining.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

I was going for 100% trophies for FF13, but fighting Adamantoise after Adamantortoise after Adamantoise for Platinum Ingots and Trapezehedrons does not sound like a lot of fun. I'll quit where I am and say that once again I enjoyed this game.

Up next is a replay of Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

The hell? FFXIII's theme is beautiful.

I agree, however my favourite version is its use in Archylte Steppe's theme. It's so sweeping, just like the grassy hills of the steppe. :allears:

Speaking of FFXIII's music, I've been playing FFXIII-2 for two hours and I'm in love with the soundtrack again, moreso than the first time I played through the game. It's very poppy but it works so well.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Happy birthday, Final Fantasy! May you one day escape the clutches of the madmen who possess you.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Is Nomura having another mid-life crisis or something? Less a mixture, and more of a cluster gently caress.

Nomura's designs have always been ridiculous. The Massassin's Effect outfit is just a new flavour.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Dross posted:

In America, I'd say that it's because IV and VI are more nostalgic to American audiences because they came out earlier here. Plus personally I have beaten FFV three times and I literally have no recollection of Bartz's personality at all.

Bartz is kind of an idiot. And he likes adventure(?). That's pretty much it.

Although, he is responsible for the one of few interesting moments in FF5- when Exdeath seals away a few towns and Bartz snaps and flies the ship around the Earth in anger.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

Oh hey, actual screenshots.

Those settings are surprisingly normal-looking. I like 'em. They remind me of Final Fantasy VI and Assassin's Creed).

Of course, the characters are going to look like Organization XIII members and that is going to bite.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

WendigoJohnson posted:

I just want to understand what is going on.

Pretty much this. I don't care if the plot is some stupid "fix the time anomaly" stuff. I just want to understand what's going on and I want the story to be told normally with minimal amounts of flashy BS. But this is FF13.

Cake Attack posted:

I just want Lightning to wear those shades at all times, and say a bunch of lame one-liners. That'd be enough to make it the best Final Fantasy in a long time. Maybe ever.

She needs to make a whole bunch of time puns.

"The criminal always returns to the scene of the......................... TIME."

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Last Emperor posted:

I missed out on Xenogears and finally tried to play it again recently but I just could not get into it. I just found myself really uninterested with the whole game, maybe I didn't get far enough? I got to the first 'dungeon' after you exit the city with the mech fighting

I tried damned hard to play through Xenogears because the story and tone interested me, but between the combat, the customization, and the dungeons the actual gameplay is offputting. I'll settle for a Let's Play.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

Dissidia's story can only hurt you if you let it. Don't let it hurt you. Ignore it and just embrace the goodness Dissidia has given us:

This character design doesn't bug me too much and I'm guessing that's because it's simple compared to other Square-Enix designs (like Lightning's latest costume). It's just an snazzy shirt, a sash belt, some pants, and some awesome boots. Plus, Bartz is the kind of guy that can pull the look off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Some new details about Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII have been revealed.

The Examiner posted:

Unlike FFXIII and FFXIII-2 where to stagger an enemy all you had to do was fill up an enemy's chain gauge, this time you have to fulfill a bunch of other conditions besides that.
This time there are no QTEs.
Lightning's growth is tied to completing the quests you get from people in-game. From battles you get components to make new equipment and points to alter the amount of available time before the end.

That stagger system could be cool. It could also become a problem when you got to do five things to stagger enemies.
No QTEs? I'm down. I can't think of a game that benefited from QTEs and it's comforting to hear LR:FF13 is moving away from that.
Leveling up through quests sounds interesting enough.

The article links to a post on the Neogaf forums with some information translated from a Famitsu article.

Famitsu posted:

-Chocolina is in the game to support the player but in a different role than the one she had in FFXIII-2.
-While Lightning's FFXIII-2 outfit was designed by Kamikokuryo, the new one is by Tetsuya Nomura. Toriyama wanted to emphasize the red and white present in Lightning's FFXIII outift, and using that as a base the new one was born.
-In this game, once the game begins the world ends in 13 days, but coinciding with its end is also the birth of a new world. Lightning's task as a "liberator/releaser of souls" is to guide them to the new world.
-The people of Luxerion quietly await the end, however, a bunch of serial murders start happening, these are apparently committed by a group of people who oppose Bhunivelze's creed.
-As previously stated, each of the game's four continents has its own concept associated with it. Luxerion's is "murder", because they wanted it to have a mystery component aimed at slightly more mature audiences.
-While people know the world is coming to end, they don't know only 13 days remain.
-Chocobos are still in and you still can ride them.
-New equipment can be bought from the various vendors in the game, or made if you have the right components.
-Apparently "decorations" like the sunglasses Lightning is seen with in the latest trailer are in the game.

My favourite part:

Famitsu posted:

-Lightning's clothes are the clothes of a soul liberator, and the clothes and task are given by Bhunivelze. That's because while the "crystal myth" involves many gods, out of the ones that are concerned in the "Lightning Saga", Bhunivelze is the only one who hasn't made an appearance.